Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warriors 09 - Practical virgin runner seeks advice

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

GeraldineN wrote: »
    Thanks for the pep talk T Runner - I'm no. 325!!! Bring it on!! Geraldine

Well done Geraldine! Theres a training schedule on the site and there will be a more advanced one up shortly. If you need any advice send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 GeraldineN

Thanks for your words of encouragement everyone, even though I'll be doing all the training on my own, I'll hopefully meet up with you all on the day! I live near the Cavehill in Belfast, so I'm going to use that for my training too!! I've booked the campsite in Strandhill already so me and my family are looking forward to a great weekend's crack (with the run in the middle!!) I'll enjoy reading how everyone's training is going! Geraldine

Hi Folks

Im giving John Lenihan a questionnaire for the Warriors Run website at the Lugnaquille race on Sunday. Would be good to get some questions for the questionnaire from people who would be doing the race as well as anyone else who is interested.

Background. Won Warriors run 6 times: 85-89, 2005. Holds record at 50 mins
    P.B in Half marathon of 62.40
    World mountain running champion in 1991.
    19 times carrauntoohil winner etc.
    John grew up on a mountaineous farm in Kerry.

Going to ask him for a weeks training for mountain running and a week for flat running. as well as the usual stuff.

Any questions youd like me to add fire away and well have a look.

John will be opening the warriors run and competing there this year again.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Here's a couple T_Runner

~ What is your greatest memory of running the warriors run (so far)?

~ Are there any activities outside of running which John believe's supplemented his hill running training?

THanks stmochtas, Ill stick those in

• Advertisement

So I see the route is now published for the race on the Warriors web site. Makes the whole thing feel a bit closer. I ran a mountain run last night in Ballinastoe which was a good measure of fitness. I got lost as well so that added to the fun I think.

T_Runner, a buddy of mine was saying he chatted to you at finish. Heading for Sligo at the weekend so PM if you are interested in an easy run around the warriors route over the weekend.

I will PM my email address to you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭MoonDancer

OMG It's so close now! I'm getting nervous about the whole thing! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

A few of us walked up the new mountain uphill bit from the gate last Sat evening, not sure we covered the exact track but it gets fairly steep as you get near top.

I'm assuming you are running in a straight line towards the stone wall (bak in Strandhill direction) before turning right to go for the summit?

From memory rovers_runner you are correct. As far as I remember it was a bit windy and then you turn left and head towards the wall then follow the wall to the cairn and down the normal way.

Did you run Calry on Saturday morning? Did it as a training run and managed 48ish found the climbing to be a good test.

Hi Folks

Thanks Stmochtas sent you a mail there. Training run on knocknarea this weekend if anyone interested?

T Runner

• Advertisement

stmochtas wrote: »
    From memory rovers_runner you are correct. As far as I remember it was a bit windy and then you turn left and head towards the wall then follow the wall to the cairn and down the normal way.

Did you run Calry on Saturday morning? Did it as a training run and managed 48ish found the climbing to be a good test.

Was in Calry alright but wouldn't say I ran it :)
    Blew up completely after a few K's, my pacing was completely wrong so any time was out the window, not that I'd have broken 50 anyhow mind.
    Was as tough a road 10k route as I've ever seen though.

Yes the course was a hard one to pace as the first 1-2k are fast enough and you can get carried away and then bang, the hills. I was happy to be 40 seconds outside my PB so I look forward to running a flat 10k sometime soon.
    I had my Boards vest on in case you spotted me.

Yes the course was a hard one to pace as the first 1-2k are fast enough and you can get carried away and then bang, the hills. I was happy to be 40 seconds outside my PB so I look forward to running a flat 10k sometime soon.
    I had my Boards vest on in case you spotted me.

Ah right, nope didn't see any boards vest I'm afraid, I didn't expect to see one up that neck of the woods :)
    Sign of the times.

Are ye gonna run the whole route or is it going to be just the Mountain part again?

stmochtas:
    Where did you get the boards vest?

MoonDancer wrote: »
    Are ye gonna run the whole route or is it going to be just the Mountain part again?

I am open to either.
    stmochtas:

http://boardsac.blogspot.com/2009/05/boards-ac-membership-form-now-available.html

Irelands newest athletics club.

MoonDancer wrote: »

stmochtas:

Hi Moondancer,

If theres enough of us well do a session on the rathcarrick side of the mountain.

Session will be suitable for everyone.

something like 2 mins up 2 mins down 2 mins rest
    2mins flat 2 mins up 2 mins rest
    2 mins down 2 mins flat 2 mins rest etc

Everyone to go at their own pace.

The session will build leg strenght, stamina and start getting the body used to changing from uphill to downhill to flat and so on.
    Sounds tougher than it is.

well be tackling 2 gradients. One is joggable to other is a walking job which echoes the gradients of the race.

Wow, never knew about that, thanks stmochtas :)
    T runner wrote: »
    Hi Moondancer,

Hi T runner good to hear from you.
    I'm interested in going this weekend, just all depends if I can get a babysitter. Will it be Sat morning?

I will also need directions as I have never run in Rathcarrick. Where to park etc.
    Thanks.

Hi Folks

Going to cancel the session at Rathcarrick. I think I was too late posting.
    It would be better if I rearrange and give better notice to get a bigger crowd.

Sorry for any inconvenience caused

T Runner

Aww shucks! I understand though. You can count me in next time :)

• Advertisement

Warriors Run - 29/08/2009
    stmochtas

Roll call for the warriors as the thread has been quiet, just wondering who will be there. A bit of niggle myself but intend to be at the start line.

I'll be there :)

stmochtas
    MoonDancer
    rovers_runner

Looking forward to it now, only 8.3 miles too so not too long, basically a 10k plus a mile up and a mile down.

stmochtas
    MoonDancer
    rovers_runner
    T_Runner

Looking forward to it now, only 8.3 miles too so not too long, basically a 10k plus a mile up and a mile down.

A word of caution. There's 2k up to the top (off road:) almost 2.5k counting the road and gaining 340 metres:eek:. Its a tough, tough climb. Good sensible pace out to the climb will reap big rewards on the day.

(Im running with Rathfarnham on the day so not available for boards ac)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

stmochtas
    MoonDancer
    rovers_runner
    T_Runner
    GoHard

Boooo!

That will be a strong team no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

stmochtas
    MoonDancer
    rovers_runner
    T_Runner
    GoHard
    Geld

I'm doing this as well and am really looking forward to it. It is my first time and has always been on the "to do" list.

The training has not gone too well but I should have enough to get around. Have done most of the IMRA races so am not too worried about the mountain bit. It's the roads that get me down! Will be doing the Frank Duffy "10" this w'end so that should help.

Best of luck everybody!

T runner, I'm well aware of the Glen road at this stage, many people will underestimate that I reckon.
    I'll be pacing that for sure as it's really an extension of the mountain.

T runner, I'm well aware of the Glen road at this stage, many people will underestimate that I reckon.
    I'll be pacing that for sure as it's really an extension of the mountain.

Hi Rovers Runner, Its not really the glen road its the new mountain climb which occurs just after it. This year you turn left immediately at the top of the glen road straight into a savage steep climb on grass. The new climb takes 50% longer than the old climb and none of it is on and easy rock path like the lower section of the old climb its all on grass and very,very tough. The climb is also on the south side of knocknarea which means that any temperature above 15 degrees will feel very hot indeed with the heat radiating off that side.

I know people have done it before but the extra difficulty this year needs emphasising and the shorter distance does not translate to an easier race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 TURFMAN

T-runner

Is the new section of the route reasonably well marked out and/or easy to follow?

Also, it has been rumoured that Adam Bowden from the UK is taking part this year.
    Can you confirm ?

Advertisement