Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just became an atheist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Overblood wrote: »
    Wow, just searching around google brings forth a DELUGE of evil biblestories, all approved by the ever loving Himslef.

http://www.evilbible.com/

http://lukeprog.com/religion/evil_bible_stories.html

Rebel021, is that documentary biased in any way towards Intelligent Design?
    no not at all

PBS Nova Documentary on the Dover school district trial (Kitzmiller v. Dover) and the ramifications it has for being able to keep Intelligent Design (creationism) out of science classrooms

It actually went on trial against science

Google video
    1hr 53mins
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-404729062613200911

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

But, but, but that was the old covenant. Jesus died for our signs and so ended that covenant and we now have the new covenant. That is where god goes,
    GOD wrote:
    "sorry about that lads, lost the run of myself there. I am sure you understand, absolute power and all that... I don't do all the evil stuff anymore, not that I am saying it was evil, afterall I am your lord and master and I can do what I want without having to justify it to the likes of you. But I am all fluffy now, but don't get me wrong, I am not going soft or anything, I will still not hesitate to send you to hell, especially those homosexuals (only the ones that give in to their urges obviously,) oh, and the muslims... and lets not forget the mormons, jews and all that other lot that that believe in other types of gods, oh oh, and those atheist, boy to I have a treat for them. So, aside from that it is all loving, now get down on your knees and worship me or you are going to hell too"

See, it all make perfect sense and does requite any mental gymnastic or pathetic excuses. Perfectly logical and rational. I really can't understand how you lot can't see how simple it is.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Was that a serious statement or are you joking? I really can't tell. Is he joking?
    I'm dead serious about paedophilia being wrong. What I clearly did not say was that atheists have any particular disposition towards it, or cannibalism.
    You're telling a message board full of Irish people that they don't get Christianity because they never read the bible? Really?

Not trying to defend the troll here but I think it would be accurate to say that most Irish people under 50, have not read the Bible. Not even the Gospels. There are many widespread misconceptions about what Jesus taught.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm all for stoning children to death.

She bears FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Húrin wrote: »
    I'm dead serious about paedophilia being wrong. What I clearly did not say was that atheists have any particular disposition towards it, or cannibalism.

That's because atheism is a negative religious position. It doesn't suggest any moral system in and of itself, nor does it suggest amorality. Strangely enough, most atheists seem to come to the conclusion that child abuse is wrong all by themselves. And at the same rate as Christians do. It's amazing! As I understand it this comes from something people call "a value system" which apparently is innate to all people who have emotions and which it seems does form the basis of a moral system. Shocking stuff, huh?

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I know whats right and whats wrong. I dont need a book or a priest or even a God to tell me.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

DeVore wrote: »
    I know whats right and whats wrong. I dont need a book or a priest or even a God to tell me.

DeV.

Think again DeVore. I bet you didn't know that being hurt in the testicles or having your willy cut off is wrong and if you have suffered either of these, you can't get into heaven.
    "He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD. A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the LORD; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the LORD."
    --Deuteronomy 23:1-2

Why isn't that in the Ten Commandments?

Thou shalt not get wounded in the stones!"

DeV.

The really terrifying thing is that there are some Christians who claim that the Word is the only thing which shows them the difference and they'd see no reason not to randomly rape/murder if that authority were not there. Perhaps better for all of us that some of them have such a skill for self-delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

The really terrifying thing is that there are some Christians who claim that the Word is the only thing which shows them the difference and they'd see no reason not to randomly rape/murder if that authority were not there. Perhaps better for all of us that some of them have such a skill for self-delusion.

Indeed! I opened a thread a while back about a certain Joshua Milton Blahyi AKA General Butt-Naked who saw nothing wrong with murder (about 20,000), cannibalism and I'm going to guess rape as well (and sure why not? In for a penny, in for a pound!). Apparently it was a divine encounter that helped him to change his ways. So with regards to his morality, I'm sure he would now agree with those Christians.

Indeed! I opened a thread a while back about a certain Joshua Milton Blahyi AKA General Butt-Naked who saw nothing wrong with murder (about 20,000), cannibalism and I'm going to guess rape as well (and sure why not? In for a penny, in for a pound!). Apparently it was a divine encounter that helped him to change his ways. So with regards to his morality, I'm sure he would now agree with those Christians.

Hell, there's people on this forum who've pulled the "I'd see no reason not to murder if the Bible didn't prohibit it" routine. It's little wonder they struggle to grasp where the average atheist's morality comes from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Hell, there's people on this forum who've pulled the "I'd see no reason not to murder if the Bible didn't prohibit it" routine. It's little wonder they struggle to grasp where the average atheist's morality comes from.
    And let's not forget those that would see no point in living and would rather die.

MrP

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Well if you were going to get 72 virgins, wouldnt you?

Or is that that other crowd, I get mixed up.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Well if you were going to get 72 virgins, wouldnt you?

Or is that that other crowd, I get mixed up.

DeV.

That would be the other crowd, perhaps even more masochistic than people who think their god had himself tortured to death to make a point; who would want 72 mothers-in-law?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Think again DeVore. I bet you didn't know that being hurt in the testicles or having your willy cut off is wrong and if you have suffered either of these, you can't get into heaven.
    You will find that you are taken more seriously if you do your research first:
    Eunuchs were excluded because God’s covenant with Israel was vitally connected with the idea of the seed, and emasculation is a “crime” against the seed of man. Additionally, most eunuchs were made to be so in pagan ceremonies where they were dedicated to pagan gods.

Thou shalt not get wounded in the stones!"
    That one earned you the Yellow card

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Aw come on. How did that earn me a red card? This threads original topic has been derailed and it has turned into banter, and I posted a bible passage without researching it first. That deserves an infraction? I would understand if it was in the Cristianity forum, jaysus you could ban me for that, but here in atheism?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

This forum should not be under 'religion'. If you are going to 'red card' for the above post, JC should be permabanned x 1,000,000,000,000,000

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Jakkass wrote: »
    OP, I'm sorry you have made this decision, but I wish you the best of luck, and I hope that you may consider the message of Jesus Christ in the future.
    I think the story of Jesus is an interesting story even if you are an atheist. As is the story of the Buddha, Socrates and many others from Ancient History.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Thank you for reading this, and thank you for your help.
    No problem, whatever makes you happy and whatever makes most sense to you is what's most important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Asiaprod wrote: »
    You will find that you are taken more seriously if you do your research first:
    Eunuchs were excluded because Gods covenant with Israel was vitally connected with the idea of the seed, and emasculation is a crime against the seed of man. Additionally, most eunuchs were made to be so in pagan ceremonies where they were dedicated to pagan gods.

So the victim is punished for the crime? Someone gives you a wack in the sack and *you* can't go to temple...

This forum should not be under 'religion'. If you are going to 'red card' for the above post, JC should be permabanned x 1,000,000,000,000,000

I think there will soon be a massive cull of posters if that sort of infraction becomes common place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Infraction being changed from Red to Yellow.
    Apologies, Mods make mistakes too:(
    Emotional time right now, best friend's wife currently dying in ICU

Sorry to hear it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Wow, sorry to hear that. I'm not sure what to say, tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Terrible news.

:(

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

That's terrible Asia. :(
    *hugs*

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I ask that you just take one moment to read this please, I feel as if I need to thank you, I mean you specifically as you sit here, and that is because I believe that the straight forward, intellectually rigorous and caring message which I have seen here, and in the other I atheists I have subsequently met as a result, played a huge part in helping me make the final leap.

Perhaps it is strange to use the word epiphany, but that is exactly how it happened. I was sitting in my sitting at the desk in my bedroom, looking out the window at the street below, listing to the music playing on my laptop. One line from a song called how it ends hit me, “You already know how this will end”. It was as if somebody switched a light on. In an instant I knew. I do already know how this will end. There is nothing more after death. No afterlife, no god, nothing. I already know how this will end. The people downstairs, my family, the four people I love more than anything in the world, I now know that at some point in the future we will all be together, and it will be the last time that ever happens. I know that some day when I feel the wind in my hair and the sun on my skin, it will be the last time I ever experience that. I know there will be no more life after I die, so I have to make the absolute best I can out of every moment I live. I have to breathe life in like a scarce perfume and not let go of anything, because I already know how this will end.

Thank you for reading this, and thank you for your help.

Songs have alot to answer for :L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Songs have alot to answer for :L

Don't blame the song... Kieran was probably building towards a change of stance for some time.
    I don't think many people swap sides over night or over one thing, song or issue.

I'm assuming the song in question was 'How It Ends' by DeVotchKa...

The song is bit sad but you could argue that the lyrics could strengthen faith in some...

Listen first, read after
    You want it to be blessed.
    And in your heart,
    You know it to be true,
    You know what you gotta do.
    Now you've seen his face.
    And you know that there's a place,
    In the sun,
    For all that you've done,
    For you and your children.
    No longer shall you need.
    You always wanted to believe,
    Just ask and you'll receive,
    Beyond your wildest dreams.

Full lyrics here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Lucas10101

Well done for the "conversion"...1 more on our side. It's only a matter of time before we discard religion from our lives. Less people attend church according to statistics, and more people are rational these days. The remaining people that visit church i.e the old pensioners, will die off within the next 25 years, and then it will be interesting to see the % of atheists and Christians in society.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Plus we'll have a way bigger team for football at lunchbreaks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

That's because atheism is a negative religious position. It doesn't suggest any moral system in and of itself, nor does it suggest amorality. Strangely enough, most atheists seem to come to the conclusion that child abuse is wrong all by themselves. And at the same rate as Christians do. It's amazing! As I understand it this comes from something people call "a value system" which apparently is innate to all people who have emotions and which it seems does form the basis of a moral system.
    Ah, so you agree that all people have an inbuilt value system? I agree, and I think that God put it there.
    There's a difference between seeing "no reason not to randomly rape/murder if that authority were not there," and seeing no motive. I doubt that any Christian who says the former means the latter. Unfortunately, atheists like to interpret it as the latter to make it sound like Christians are psychotic scumbags, only being held back from a bloodfest by divine commands.

What they actually mean is that there is no basis for a universal morality without the divine command, because without God, universal morality does not exist. The best most atheists can come up with is that their conscience tells them things are wrong. Which is fine, but it's also subjective.

Some claim that our morality comes from evolution. The problem with this is that it's descriptive, rather than prescriptive. You're still no closer to knowing what is universally right and what is wrong.

Advertisement