Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just became an atheist

Options
  • 08-02-2009 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

I ask that you just take one moment to read this please, I feel as if I need to thank you, I mean you specifically as you sit here, and that is because I believe that the straight forward, intellectually rigorous and caring message which I have seen here, and in the other I atheists I have subsequently met as a result, played a huge part in helping me make the final leap.

Perhaps it is strange to use the word epiphany, but that is exactly how it happened. I was sitting in my sitting at the desk in my bedroom, looking out the window at the street below, listing to the music playing on my laptop. One line from a song called how it ends hit me, “You already know how this will end”. It was as if somebody switched a light on. In an instant I knew. I do already know how this will end. There is nothing more after death. No afterlife, no god, nothing. I already know how this will end. The people downstairs, my family, the four people I love more than anything in the world, I now know that at some point in the future we will all be together, and it will be the last time that ever happens. I know that some day when I feel the wind in my hair and the sun on my skin, it will be the last time I ever experience that. I know there will be no more life after I die, so I have to make the absolute best I can out of every moment I live. I have to breathe life in like a scarce perfume and not let go of anything, because I already know how this will end.

Thank you for reading this, and thank you for your help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭son.of.jimi

Well now that you've made the jump... Don't forget your membership card! We meet on tuesdays!

But seriously... Fair play...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Good for you ... now get over to the Christian forum and start antagonising them!

(JOKING :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Good for you. It can be quiet a shock for those who held strong religious beliefs, some may find it very difficult, but there is a great enlightenment when you start looking at the world through the prism of rationalism. If you need any help or have any questions feel free to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

I ask that you just take one moment to read this please, I feel as if I need to thank you, I mean you specifically as you sit here, and that is because I believe that the straight forward, intellectually rigorous and caring message which I have seen here, and in the other I atheists I have subsequently met as a result, played a huge part in helping me make the final leap.

Perhaps it is strange to use the word epiphany, but that is exactly how it happened. I was sitting in my sitting at the desk in my bedroom, looking out the window at the street below, listing to the music playing on my laptop. One line from a song called how it ends hit me, “You already know how this will end”. It was as if somebody switched a light on. In an instant I knew. I do already know how this will end. There is nothing more after death. No afterlife, no god, nothing. I already know how this will end. The people downstairs, my family, the four people I love more than anything in the world, I now know that at some point in the future we will all be together, and it will be the last time that ever happens. I know that some day when I feel the wind in my hair and the sun on my skin, it will be the last time I ever experience that. I know there will be no more life after I die, so I have to make the absolute best I can out of every moment I live. I have to breathe life in like a scarce perfume and not let go of anything, because I already know how this will end.

Thank you for reading this, and thank you for your help.

Its a good way to live man, go easy on that perfume now :D.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Good on you, it's a nice feeling to appreciate the true beauty of it all eh? I'm guessing you were listening to Devotchka? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Now go take a walk outside, and marvel in the undesigned beauty that is our natural world, it's all so much cooler now don't ya think? :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP, I'm sorry you have made this decision, but I wish you the best of luck, and I hope that you may consider the message of Jesus Christ in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

hi there chap,
    im really delighted for you, i feel atheists have a valuable perspective on life and am proud to be an atheist from such a young age...think i had it all figured out by about 13...
    i'd like to mention that their is a way how people can live on after their death: you live on in the thoughts of those who know you and the achievments / contribution to the world you might be lucky enough to leave behind! make a difference if you can and you will live on after your death!

:)

Good for you. I could see it coming with the threads you were posting. Hope it all goes well, and, as has already been said, if you've any questions feel free to come here and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

welcome - I think you will find a rational view of the world liberating - be prepared to spend a lot more of your time irritated - though perhaps that is just me...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Funny how there are so many atheists in Ireland these days. You would almost think it was geographically determined.

Húrin wrote: »
    Funny how there are so many atheists in Ireland these days. You would almost think it was geographically determined.

Oh I see what you did there Húrin, I see what you did!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

This doesn't come as a huge surprise given the evolution of your faith over 4 posts in the A&A and Christianity fora. From an apparent strong faith, which had moved to doubt by the 3rd and then to atheism by the 4th. Obviously you have been thinking these matter over for some time before posting otherwise it must have been one heck of a quick ride! Anyway, while personally disappointed that you have arrived at this decision, I wish you all the best in the post-Christian life you now construct for yourself.

Who knows maybe you'll have another epiphany down the road! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

Oh I see what you did there Húrin, I see what you did!

old thread reference! *hi-five*
    This doesn't come as a huge surprise given the evolution of your faith over 4 posts in the A&A and Christianity fora. From an apparent strong faith, which had moved to doubt by the 3rd and then to atheism by the 4th. Obviously you have been thinking these matter over for some time before posting otherwise it must have been one heck of a quick ride! Anyway, while personally disappointed that you have arrived at this decision, I wish you all the best in the post-Christian life you now construct for yourself.

In fairness, life and thought does exist that is not documented on boards.ie!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Someone has changed sides!
    Truly it is the end of times...

Time for a role reversal thread...
    All the theists argue as atheists
    All the atheists argue as theists
    Agnostics... um. flip a coin?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Húrin wrote: »
    In fairness, life and thought does exist that is not documented on boards.ie!

I don't believe it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭Valmont

OP I'll take your membership fee. Direct debit is probably the most convenient but we take all major credit cards too. For and extra 29.95 you can have the 'God isn't real' coffee mug and pen set.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Well, I dont believe OP. I think he's a religios mole sent to spy on our meetings.
    Dont tell him about the agenda until he passes teh initiation tests.

I don't believe it!

news-graphics-2007-_448362a.jpg

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Galvasean wrote: »
    Well, I dont believe OP. I think he's a religios mole sent to spy on our meetings.
    Dont tell him about the agenda until he passes teh initiation tests.

yes, teh tests!
    I still have to collect my robe from the dry cleaners.
    I got funny looks the last time... after all those stains...

That's a rather remarkable change in perspective OP. Looking forward to hearing more about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Send an email to membership@atheist.ie and they'll send you out your free atheist pack complete with Origin of Species and the God Delusion! And an atheist button for you to clip onto your bag/clothes!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Heathens 1 - 0 Christians !!

Dades wrote: »
    Heathens 1 - 0 Christians !!

The battle for human souls has begun!

poster-emperor-horus.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

Well done OP! I found it really helped to finalise the whole thing to actually tell someone. Then I had my first gathering of like minded individuals, which has to be one of the strangest meetings Ive ever attended. BTW have you discussed this with your family? And out of curiosity are you still at an age where they would expect you to follow their line of thought if they are Catholics/protestants/jews/whatever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭sukikettle

Trust the same few to crowd in and pat his back.

Well man when that liberated sensation wears off and something devastating hits your life...although I hope it doesn't...you will look to a higher power for help. It's a very instinctive reaction because of who made you

and just in case you're taking comfort in a big bang theory...zero plus zero equals zero. Your existence was ignited by an uncreated being who lives outside of time. He set His standard in a book called the bible and those who die rejecting God are in serious trouble. Just because you don't believe you still have no control over what happens when you die. You and all the others in here including me don't honestly know what begins at the moment of death. Eternity is a long time to sacrifice for a short godless existence here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭mickeydevine

sukikettle wrote: »

Well man when that liberated sensation wears off and something devastating hits your life...although I hope it doesn't...you will look to a higher power for help. It's a very instinctive reaction because of who made you

and just in case you're taking comfort in a big bang theory...zero plus zero equals zero. Your existence was ignited by an uncreated being who lives outside of time. He set His standard in a book called the bible and those who die rejecting God are in serious trouble. Just because you don't believe you still have no control over what happens when you die. You and all the others in here including me don't honestly know what begins at the moment of death. Eternity is a long time to sacrifice for a short godless existence here

Does the bible not tell ye? Is it real faith you have suki or are you just hedgin your bets.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

sukikettle wrote: »

Wow who is afraid of the big bad God?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Galvasean wrote: »
    The battle for human souls has begun!

poster-emperor-horus.jpg

Hey whats is the story behind the pic it looks awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

Hey whats is the story behind the pic it looks awesome.

On the left is Horus...
    On the gound with the wings, is Sanguinius, Primarch of the Blood Angels...
    and the man on the left is the Emperor of Mankind.

Edit: that's a bit short...

Horus was formerly the favoured son of the Emperor of Mankind, but was corrupted by the Chaos Gods, and rebelled... leading a massive heretical war against the Emperor, culminating with a final assault on Earth...
    In the picture Horus has just defeated Sanguinius in single combat and now must face the Emperor.
    It's from the Warhammer 40,000 back story

Second Edit:
    or if you prefer ... on the left is Lucifer, on the right is God, on the ground is Archangel Michael, defeated rather than triumphant in this story... all set in space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Warhammer 40k.

Dude on the left is Horus, who's busy betraying the God Emperor dude on the right.

Welcome aboard the bus, OP. It's awesome. Going to hell, but still, awesome. :D

Advertisement