Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just became an atheist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

sukikettle wrote: »
    Trust the same few to crowd in and pat his back.

Well man when that liberated sensation wears off and something devastating hits your life...although I hope it doesn't...you will look to a higher power for help. It's a very instinctive reaction because of who made you

and just in case you're taking comfort in a big bang theory...zero plus zero equals zero. Your existence was ignited by an uncreated being who lives outside of time. He set His standard in a book called the bible and those who die rejecting God are in serious trouble. Just because you don't believe you still have no control over what happens when you die. You and all the others in here including me don't honestly know what begins at the moment of death. Eternity is a long time to sacrifice for a short godless existence here

So a being who wrote the laws that govern our universe from general relativity to quantum mechanics approx 13,400,000,000 years ago revealed himself just 2,000 years ago on this tiny insignificant rock in a very inconspicuous corner of the universe so he could play mind games with us, demanding we believe in him but maliciously hiding all the evidence for his existence excepting for a book written by primitives who didn't even know the basic natural laws that govern their own lives. Right, got ya, you've won me over. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Warhammer... I feel 12 again. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

kiffer wrote: »
    On the left is Horus...
    On the gound with the wings, is Sanguinius, Primarch of the Blood Angels...
    and the man on the left is the Emperor of Mankind.

Edit: that's a bit short...

Horus was formerly the favoured son of the Emperor of Mankind, but was corrupted by the Chaos Gods, and rebelled... leading a massive heretical war against the Emperor, culminating with a final assault on Earth...
    In the picture Horus has just defeated Sanguinius in single combat and now must face the Emperor.
    It's from the Warhammer 40,000 back story

Second Edit:
    or if you prefer ... on the left is Lucifer, on the right is God, on the ground is Archangel Michael, defeated rather than triumphant in this story... all set in space.

Sweet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Well done keiran.

I think It's time to reinforce your newfound beliefs with some science! Find out how everything really works! I'd recommend "The Blind Watchmaker" by Richard Dawkins to get the ball rolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Well man when that liberated sensation wears off and something devastating hits your life...although I hope it doesn't...you will look to a higher power for help. It's a very instinctive reaction because of who made you and just in case you're taking comfort in a big bang theory...zero plus zero equals zero. Your existence was ignited by an uncreated being who lives outside of time. He set His standard in a book called the bible and those who die rejecting God are in serious trouble. Just because you don't believe you still have no control over what happens when you die. You and all the others in here including me don't honestly know what begins at the moment of death. Eternity is a long time to sacrifice for a short godless existence here

The argument that Earth is just a quality control factory for testing whether a particular humans brain software can float around in another dimension (Heaven) is just ludicrous. I personally would need to view heaven before buying into the concept.
    Heres a couple of questions for all you bible beaters.
    If god is omniscient, why does any Human being need to be tested on Earth anyway?
    If god is omniscient, why does he/she allow innocent people to be murdered, or babies to die at childbirth? What is he testing? He knows the result anyway.
    This god character sounds like a vindictive little b0ll0x the more I think of it. Or maybe he just didn't exist in the first place.
    Also, eternal life sounds very boring. After the first 10 years there, I would want to kill myself. Oh no I can't, its heaven. I'd kill a couple of angels to get sent to hell. A change is as good as a rest.:)
    Raise the churches I tell ye.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Borneo Fnctn

Your existence was ignited by an uncreated being who lives outside of time.

In a gingerbread house?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Perhaps it is strange to use the word epiphany, but that is exactly how it happened.

happened pretty much the same way for me also mate. I was sitting down for breakfast, about to bow my head and give thanks when I suddenly seen myself in the third person, the way I'd viewed Jews at the Wailing Wall or Muslims bowing towards Mecca and how I'd viewed them as so misguided and wrong. I could go into more detail about it, but it was basically just an overwhelming acceptance that my God did not exist, and that nobody was listening.

It literally was an epiphany and an understanding of when people talk of "a moment of clarity". The most simplistic way I could describe it is to imagine one of those child's toys where they have to put circles and squares through holes of the same shape, my whole life it had felt like I'd been trying to push the square block through the circle shaped hole, the moment where I suddenly stopped believing felt like suddenly making the square block go through the square hole. All of the scraps of knowledge I'd learned about the world, history, society and the Universe suddenly made sense when you removed God from the equation.
    Húrin wrote: »
    Funny how there are so many atheists in Ireland these days. You would almost think it was geographically determined.

Seriously Húrin, how long are you going to drag out this tired line of argument. You might as well just put "Atheism is the same as Theism" in your signature as that is pretty much all the majority of your posts amount to. If someone says something positive about Atheism, you'll be in like a light to say "isn't the same true of Theism though?" or if someone says something negative about Theism you'll be in to say "But isn't the same true of Atheism?"

We get it... alright... you can stop now... or keep dragging it out, whatever. :rolleyes:
    Well man when that liberated sensation wears off and something devastating hits your life...although I hope it doesn't...you will look to a higher power for help. It's a very instinctive reaction because of who made you
    and just in case you're taking comfort in a big bang theory...zero plus zero equals zero. Your existence was ignited by an uncreated being who lives outside of time. He set His standard in a book called the bible and those who die rejecting God are in serious trouble. Just because you don't believe you still have no control over what happens when you die. You and all the others in here including me don't honestly know what begins at the moment of death. Eternity is a long time to sacrifice for a short godless existence here

Congratulations Suki, this post will single-handedly embolden the atheism of the OP better than any of us could. What a great example of the nonsense he's leaving behind ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭sukikettle

Look lads argue all you want...God exists and you'll find out soon enough. For such a random world it certainly heavily resembles a bible written quite a long time ago. Funny how we are enacting word for word its prophecies and our ultimate fate. And don't ask where ... read it yourself. I don't have enough faith to be an athiest and yes without God you should be afraid Mickey D because if He doesn't have ya the devil does

Look Suki, just give up. Kieran is our friend now.:P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

darth-vader-luke.jpg
    Look lads argue all you want...God exists.

Whoa.

Well, since you put it that way...

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Lads I'm not here to convert...that would take a miracle...when I say I don't truly know what happens at death I mean at what point the great and terrible day of Judgement happens. Of Heaven I am assured as a child of God. Those who die in unbelief can't get into Heaven. It's as stupid as turning up at the white house and expecting Obama to have a place for you at the dinner table.. And let's face it lads you have more of a chance in your present state of that happening then getting into Heaven
    By the way...the other difference between a believer and an unbeliever. You couldn't pay us enough money to give up what we have whereas you guys if the nightsky turned red and an earthquake erupted you can bet your bottom dollar more than half of you will be found on your knees begging God to help you and that's a cert...

Lads I'm not here to convert...that would take a miracle...when I say I don't truly know what happens at death I mean at what point the great and terrible day of Judgement happens. Of Heaven I am assured as a child of God. Those who die in unbelief can't get into Heaven. It's as stupid as turning up at the white house and expecting Obama to have a place for you at the dinner table.. And let's face it lads you have more of a chance in your present state of that happening then getting into Heaven
    By the way...the other difference between a believer and an unbeliever. You couldn't pay us enough money to give up what we have whereas you guys if the nightsky turned red and an earthquake erupted you can bet your bottom dollar more than half of you will be found on your knees begging God to help you and that's a cert...

sukikettle - doing more for atheism than Dawkins, Dennet, Harris and Hitchens combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Goduznt Xzst

Look lads argue all you want...God exists and you'll find out soon enough.

Maybe you'll find out that the Muslims where right all along and you'll be sent to Islamic Hell with the rest of us. Think about how angry the God of Islam is getting everytime you pray to the false Christian God :rolleyes:

sink I'm not falling for your crap because I prickle that conscience of yours sweetie...God is who He is...take it or leave it. He will never bribe you or cajole you...that is what free will is and I know you've heard of that. Most unbelievers are hurt and/or lonely people. I feel you brother (or sister)...something made you angry to turn away. But ya know what He loves you and He'll be there...God bless

ummm goduznt... The muslim God and Christian one are the same...our difference is Jesus and Mohammed...who they were. The Christian God is the God of Isaac and Ishmael who went on to create the Jewish and muslim faiths and out of the Jewish line we were given Christ....so don't go blowing off ignorant detail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

I ask that you just take one moment to read this please, I feel as if I need to thank you, I mean you specifically as you sit here, and that is because I believe that the straight forward, intellectually rigorous and caring message which I have seen here, and in the other I atheists I have subsequently met as a result, played a huge part in helping me make the final leap.

Perhaps it is strange to use the word epiphany, but that is exactly how it happened. I was sitting in my sitting at the desk in my bedroom, looking out the window at the street below, listing to the music playing on my laptop. One line from a song called how it ends hit me, “You already know how this will end”. It was as if somebody switched a light on. In an instant I knew. I do already know how this will end. There is nothing more after death. No afterlife, no god, nothing. I already know how this will end. The people downstairs, my family, the four people I love more than anything in the world, I now know that at some point in the future we will all be together, and it will be the last time that ever happens. I know that some day when I feel the wind in my hair and the sun on my skin, it will be the last time I ever experience that. I know there will be no more life after I die, so I have to make the absolute best I can out of every moment I live. I have to breathe life in like a scarce perfume and not let go of anything, because I already know how this will end.

Thank you for reading this, and thank you for your help.

Hello, firstly - no problem it was an interesting read.

Secondly - this is my first post on this forum, I would be "agnostic" as the definition goes in the sense that I highly doubt a christian god exists, I can't be 100% sure though.

I am also agnostic in the sense that I believe a higher power may or may not exist (be it aliens, or undiscovered-dimensional beings, or whatever).

ANYWAY on to the question - when you say 'there is no god', are you referring to the christian god in the bible, or just any generic superpower?
    There is nothing more after death. No afterlife, no god, nothing. I already know how this will end.

How do you know for certain? Or are you just saying it's unlikely.

Thanks

Like I said before...angry young men most of you under 21 no doubt...up late in your bedrooms hating Christians, the world and resenting your parents. The bible has a lot to say about rebelliousness which all of this smacks of.

sink I'm not falling for your crap because I prickle that conscience of yours sweetie...God is who He is...take it or leave it. He will never bribe you or cajole you...that is what free will is and I know you've heard of that. Most unbelievers are hurt and/or lonely people. I feel you brother (or sister)...something made you angry to turn away. But ya know what He loves you and He'll be there...God bless

I'm an atheist so I must be psychologically distressed. Of course if your reasoning is true this also means that your God send sad lonely people to hell.

Most unbelievers are hurt and/or lonely people.

Yeah well you're the one with an imaginary friend honey.

The bible has a lot to say about rebelliousness which all of this smacks of.

You're supposed to stone us, as I recall.

You've been letting it slide lately though, the Big Fella won't be pleased...

• Advertisement

Save me....this is boards and mostly you'll read and ignore. Are you truly asking because you're about to open the door and have a shower of athiests rain down on you that will strip away anything you have left or anything I will say. I suggest you read Matthew in the bible and come to your own conclusion and save yourself a mauling

No Jill I'm supposed to forgive and love you sister and I do. Hey don't shoot the messenger.

Like I said before...angry young men most of you under 21 no doubt...up late in your bedrooms hating Christians, the world and resenting your parents. The bible has a lot to say about rebelliousness which all of this smacks of.

Perhaps these are some examples of sad lonely teenagers who are just angry at their parents and are going through a rebellious phase.

How's that Pride working out for you, sukikettle?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If god did not wish to bribe of cajole, why is there the threat of hell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

Save me....this is boards and mostly you'll read and ignore. Are you truly asking because you're about to open the door and have a shower of athiests rain down on you that will strip away anything you have left or anything I will say. I suggest you read Matthew in the bible and come to your own conclusion and save yourself a mauling

I am truly asking yes. To be honest my opinion regarding anyone who strongly believes either way (Christianity or Atheism) is exactly the same. They are both people who believe in things without scientific proof. Unless my definition of atheism is not the same as the atheists here. Can someone please clarify.

Did you say something Jack...it sure sounded like you were identifying

No Jill I'm supposed to forgive and love you sister and I do. Hey don't shoot the messenger.

Sorry, there must be a misprint in my copy of the Bible where it explicitly instructs the stoning of rebellious teens.

Trouble with old books though, the quality control isn't always spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭kiffer

sink wrote: »
    sukikettle - doing more for atheism than Dawkins, Dennet, Harris and Hitchens combined.

I've said it before and I'll say it again...
    I think that's actually suki's plan.

Suki: when the poop hits the fan people often panic, some people cry for their mommy, some might cry for god, some just get down to business and get on with the situation...
    I think it doesn't matter if your an atheist or theist, in that moment of crisis you either panic and prey... or do something useful. You can't really say which group you fall into until some crisis actually happens.

Also you're kind of comparing apples to oranges there...
    On one hand you say you can't pay believers enough money to give up God... but that's not really true... lots of people get greedy and fall from grace...
    on the other hand you're talking about some massive disaster...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Jakkass wrote: »
    OP, I'm sorry you have made this decision, but I wish you the best of luck, and I hope that you may consider the message of Jesus Christ in the future.

dog_tongue.jpg

Advertisement