Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I just became an atheist

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭sukikettle

Sink He doesn't send sad and lonely people to hell.When you stand before Him you will be in full revelation and when He asks you sadly 'what did you do with my Son?' and you recall...'nothing, I didn't believe in Him and I rejected every attempt He made to introduce Himself into my life'
    What will you expect and what would God have further to say. When you wouldn't even acknowledge Him in return for all of eternity in Heaven, ruling by his side in the new city of Jerusalem as a new creation. When He reminds you of these callous blaspheming posts, what more is there to say. Believing in Him is not death and prison like some would have you believe in here...believing in Him is life and freedom

No you don't have to listen...for now anyway Seany;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

sukikettle wrote: »
    No you don't have to listen...for now anyway Seany;)

lala_cant_hear_you_cat.jpg

Fine then, if I'm wrong and I dont think I am. Ill just tell him I know you and you said to leave me in.,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Sink He doesn't send sad and lonely people to hell.When you stand before Him you will be in full revelation and when He asks you sadly 'what did you do with my Son?' and you recall...'nothing, I didn't believe in Him and I rejected every attempt He made to introduce Himself into my life'
    What will you expect and what would God have further to say. When you wouldn't even acknowledge Him in return for all of eternity in Heaven, ruling by his side in the new city of Jerusalem as a new creation. When He reminds you of these callous blaspheming posts, what more is there to say. Believing in Him is not death and prison like some would have you believe in here...believing in Him is life and freedom

I would rather believe in the Justice League, at least their stories come with pictures.

Jill I'm a bit lost as to your pride and stoning teens bit...unless you're a stoned teen yourself?

• Advertisement

It's not me any of you have to believe whereas you all individually want to be believed and that Jill is pride. I am quoting explicitly from my bible-based faith. Now I'm going to bed as I've a pain in my fingers battling one against six. Nighty night all and I sincerely hope everything works out in your job, schools and families. I know when all the messing is done here, there are issues and problems to attend to...I prefer getting through mine with the help of God

p.s. Seany your pics are funny, they made me laugh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Of Heaven I am assured as a child of God.

Sounds like pride to me.

And my gosh, you're terrible rusty on your Deuteronomy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

It's not me any of you have to believe whereas you all individually want to be believed and that Jill is pride. I am quoting explicitly from my bible-based faith. Now I'm going to bed as I've a pain in my fingers battling one against six. Nighty night all and I sincerely hope everything works out in your job, schools and families. I know when all the messing is done here, there are issues and problems to attend to...I prefer getting through mine with the help of God

You can either pray or you can do something that might actually solve your problems. If you can't do it on your own you should seek the help of others not your imaginary friend in the sky. I've to get up for work in 5 hours so I think I might go to bed too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Sukikettle, you make this wonderful, "loving" god sound like a right prick.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

"You already know how this will end"

But you dont know. No one knows. No one can know. How could they know

I congratulate you on following your free thought process without fear. Seriously, good for you.

But you are, in my humble opinion, not done yet.

You've swapped a certainty of religion for a certainty of nothing. It sounds quite desperate in fact when you talk about your family. You have killed your hope and declared it self-defence.

Forget certainty.

Take the next step and realise that you, like every other scared poster on this thread myself included, actually havent got a blind bull's notion what happens next. Take a deep breath and let the fear in... its ok to be afraid but dont let it own you. Then realise that there is nothing any of us can do about it and its a total waste of the precious time you have with your family. Realise that everyone who is trying to pawn off their world vision on you is simply trying to reassure themselves that they are right and there is some sort of certainty even if thats a nihilistic certainty.

Its the most arrogant thing for anyone to say "I know what happens next". No you dont. Shut up. I'm afraid too. :)

DeV,

• Advertisement

Jill well then you're rusty on your New Testament those who take on Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour are children of God. Yes I'm well aware of the unrepentant child but in Jesus Christ he introduced loving thy neighbour as yourself and forgiveness and when confronted by the adulteress he asked the crowd those without sin cast the fist stone...happy? And for the love of God because I say I'm a child of God it's not the same as self-praise is no praise. That was a trick to suppress. People are so reluctant to give praise and thanks and credit where credit's due. It's an old thinking mentality that I lost when I became a Christian.

there are issues and problems to attend to...I prefer getting through mine with the help of God
    You mean with the help of telling yourself there is a god helping you? How does believing in god automatically mean god is helping you? That's just a case of "if I keep believing it's happening, then it will happen."

So childlike yet taken seriously by adults for millennia...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Jill well then you're rusty on your New Testament those who take on Jesus Christ as their Lord and Saviour are children of God. Yes I'm well aware of the unrepentant child but in Jesus Christ he introduced loving thy neighbour as yourself and forgiveness and when confronted by the adulteress he asked the crowd those without sin cast the fist stone...happy?

So did God change his mind on the whole idea in the meantime, or was he just wrong the first time?

Devore:mad: I'm going to bed. I was quoting the bible and fear is of satan and it's designed to oppress and destroy...why would I want any part of that. The bible tells us Be Not Afraid 365 times.
    #I wonder who opened the attic door and let him fly out#

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I wasnt talking to you directly... :)

(are you wondering who "let me out of the attic" ? )

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

^^this is so daft....i suggest you read up on atheism and all its entrenched values...while doing so you can aim to attempt to justify what your 'God' is? Brainwashing perhaps and just as daft as your message above..there is a section for you folk i say you stay there...Atheism is not your belief so you have no place here likewise no atheists have the right to interfere in the religious threads dont dare try and claim someone will be 'punished' for being rational logical and intelligent and seriousely bible bash within your own oppressed circles..now politely...run along!!
    as said earlier to the OP enjoy the liberation, make the most of your time here and make a difference while here if you can...!
    God Bless haha

The bible tells us Be Not Afraid 365 times.
    Except apparently we do have to be afraid - because even the poor auld believers are going to hell if they barely step out of line.

Why are christians so judgemental and hypocritical and intolerant despite it going against Christ's teachings?

For Jill...yes He did change His mind...we were lost until His Son died for us...Jesus by his immeasurable love brought His kingdom with Him and offered us the free gift of salvation that whosoever acknowledged Him as Lord and Saviour that He died and rose again on the third day would be with Him in Heaven after their death. It's a very simple no strings attached gift and if you want it take it and if you don't...don't

Dudess no believers are going to hell their reward will reflect their lives lived and I haven't said a single contradictory thing to the bible. It sounds offensive because it's all new to you because you haven't read the bible

Piriz read the athiests what?:D As if!...you read the bible and I'll consider how about that

• Advertisement

None of you know what comes after death. How could you?

read my post again.

DeV.

Like I said before...angry young men most of you under 21 no doubt...up late in your bedrooms hating Christians, the world and resenting your parents. The bible has a lot to say about rebelliousness which all of this smacks of.

its funny that you wrote that comment at 1.50am in the morning...haha laughing at you and this thread is not for you...go to bed you got to visit a silly place in the morning...bring your money too coz that richest organisation in the world wants it! to brainwash others by investing in schools and aid for the poor... you see.....Man made God not the other way round...by this systematic targeting they continue to brainwash the likes of you and control your entire life, you will never live the way i live and never enjoy the beauty of this planet the way i do...your loss...you should question everything and come to rational conclusions but you dont do it with your god beliefs coz your afraid of the 'learned' consequences...you know im right but too brainwashed to truely consider it...grow a set!
    ...before Christianity people believed in different planets etc. they were the gods of their time...f sake its had its relevance to restore a more humanistic society but it aint necessary liberation will come in the form of atheism but unfortunately its gona take thousands of years with fundamentalists like your bad self..go to the christianity thread and wallow in your own muck (if rolling in muck aint considered a sin) this thread is not for you butt out your seriously not welcome..you have beautiful buildings we have these threads leave us alone...honestly not welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am 38 Suikettle... and I notice you arent engaging with me. Tomorrow is fine.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

p.s. Seany your pics are funny, they made me laugh
    He he cheers. Only posted the funny ones cos Im getting bored of all this belivers against non believers bull. Im non believer but dont see how that makes me any different to anyone else on boards.
    I also find it strange that the
    Op decided to thank all us atheists on here for helping him/her change his/her beliefs. It kinda sounds like op is jumping on a bandwagon and finds it a cool club to be in. Ah I dunno . I give up.

Piriz read the athiests what?:D As if!...you read the bible and I'll consider how about that

nah i dont read fiction!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

I ask that you just take one moment to read this please, I feel as if I need to thank you, I mean you specifically as you sit here, and that is because I believe that the straight forward, intellectually rigorous and caring message which I have seen here, and in the other I atheists I have subsequently met as a result, played a huge part in helping me make the final leap.

Perhaps it is strange to use the word epiphany, but that is exactly how it happened. I was sitting in my sitting at the desk in my bedroom, looking out the window at the street below, listing to the music playing on my laptop. One line from a song called how it ends hit me, “You already know how this will end”. It was as if somebody switched a light on. In an instant I knew. I do already know how this will end. There is nothing more after death. No afterlife, no god, nothing. I already know how this will end. The people downstairs, my family, the four people I love more than anything in the world, I now know that at some point in the future we will all be together, and it will be the last time that ever happens. I know that some day when I feel the wind in my hair and the sun on my skin, it will be the last time I ever experience that. I know there will be no more life after I die, so I have to make the absolute best I can out of every moment I live. I have to breathe life in like a scarce perfume and not let go of anything, because I already know how this will end.

Thank you for reading this, and thank you for your help.
    One of us!
    One of us!
    One of us!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

sink wrote: »
    sukikettle - doing more for atheism than Dawkins, Dennet, Harris and Hitchens combined.

Hey! That's my creationism quote!

Welcome aboard, Kieran - thought from your posts that this was coming. Hope you like it here.

Folks - surely you know better than to feed the troll...?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Welcome, we have cookies :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I am truly asking yes. To be honest my opinion regarding anyone who strongly believes either way (Christianity or Atheism) is exactly the same. They are both people who believe in things without scientific proof. Unless my definition of atheism is not the same as the atheists here. Can someone please clarify.
    There's a useful thread on the definitions of atheist/agnostic here. Though quite how you can suggest that somebody who believes fantastical claims of the supernatural type, and someone who doesn't are the same, I don't know.
    DeVore wrote: »
    Its the most arrogant thing for anyone to say "I know what happens next". No you dont. Shut up. I'm afraid too. :)DeV
    I guess Kieran's use of the word "know" was somewhat misguided. Most here will accept that we know nothing of such matters, that we only have belief. He's new though - give him time to learn the rules. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

and just in case you're taking comfort in a big bang theory...zero plus zero equals zero. Your existence was ignited by an uncreated being who lives outside of time. He set His standard in a book called the bible and those who die rejecting God are in serious trouble.

If we got that on the side of a bus I think our numbers would swell over night! :pac:

Advertisement