Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single - Would you holiday alone?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LOLA08

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I would not go on a singles holiday, just not my thing. But I have travelled on my own, and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I would not go on a singles holiday, just not my thing. But I have travelled on my own, and enjoy it.

I'd be in the same camp, I would rather travel myself. Singles holidays are basically for hook-ups half the time! Which is cool and all, but I wouldn't go to that myself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I'd love to go on holiday alone. My brother travelled around Oz on his own and loved it. I doubt I'd go for a year or anything but I'd seriously love a week in the sun on my own. Just me and a good book. So tempting, maybe I should!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

Id love to go away on my own but I would wonder about going out at night, I dont think I would be able to sit in a pub on my own :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I am packing at the moment for a trip to America on my own. I am depressed about being single and I just need to get out of here. I booked a trip I cannot afford and am leaving on Thursday to go see a band I love, across the Atlantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Nightwish wrote: »
    I am packing at the moment for a trip to America on my own. I am depressed about being single and I just need to get out of here. I booked a trip I cannot afford and am leaving on Thursday to go see a band I love, across the Atlantic.

Kudos to you! :) That's some distance to see a band! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Good on you!!! I really hope it cheers you up and it's a brilliant experience, you deserve it. Have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 actingthegoat

I went on hols with intrepid this year to asia, perfect as its not a singles hol (the group included a few singles,a few couples and a few people who's partner wouldnt/couldnt go).Lots of diff nationalities Those of us who were single werent looking for any kind of a hook-up,just a good group of people with the same interests to travel with, whilst having lots of free time to make your own choices about what to see/where to eat etc and the bonus for me was that there were always ppl to go for a few drinks with at night. My second time doing a trip like this and I'd highly recommend it if you are a bit wary about going somewhere like asia on your tobler!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Excellent. Good for you. Too many people waste a lot of time waiting on others.

Who you going to see incidentally'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭appleb

Yeah I am a bit like that too. Fine during the day but kinda bored in the evening as I am reluctant to hang out in bars on my own

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I've traveled through Central America and parts of Europe solo on some trips and with a group on others, and I think the best of both worlds is traveling with someone who doesn't mind doing things alone during the day, but who will meet up again in the evening for dinner. I've definitely had moments where I thought "it would be awesome if so-and-so were here!", but I've also had moments (especially when I'm in museums, or just want to sit outside and read with a glass of wine and a smoke) where it's nice to be solo, so you can do things at your own pace. If you travel with a flexible crew, you can do both. Plus I'm kind of a foodie, so it's nice to try new restaurants with others, so you can order different things (and whole bottles of wine ;)).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Wolflikeme wrote: »
    Excellent. Good for you. Too many people waste a lot of time waiting on others.

Who you going to see incidentally'?

Thanks! I thought I would be getting "you're mad" responses! I'm going to Massachusetts to see Epica, a favourite band of mine.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Fair play- hope you've a brilliant time! :)

I can juggle my working hours a lot in the summer so I get blocks of three/four days but all of my friends are either working Mon-Fri or "Oh, laurence wants to take me there for a romantic trip in the autumn, I couldn't go without him" "I've used up all my hols in preperation for a long weekend in Paris with Julian" etc etc.. :rolleyes:
    I'd love to just go 'feck ye' and head off on my own but I like being able to see the sights with someone else and have the 'remember that waiter with the flock of seagulls haircut.. God he looked like a right eijit!' conversations after the holiday's over. Plus, none of my holiday pics would have me in them. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LOLA08

hi, just to explain, i am not looking to go on a singles hol as such, not on the tear looking for lads. I am 35 and those days are long gone. No i am just looking to see if anyone would know of sites that cater for single people who just want to go on hols for a wk in the sun. not on the tear. just a break away. but in a group situation.
    i would go on my own but as one poster pointed out sitting in a bar at night on my own does not appeal to me. plus i'd be aware of my safety too.

I'm not a huge holiday head myself, at times though a week in the sun with nothing to do alone does appeal, I reckon I'd just take the ole lad with me though to save face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Thanks! I thought I would be getting "you're mad" responses! I'm going to Massachusetts to see Epica, a favourite band of mine.

Cool. Seeing as how you're going that far you might as well see what else is on too! :)

Do you drive? Renting a car and driving around a new country is a lot of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭intouch44

I'm considering taking a short break away during Easter hols, any suggestions? I enjoy both sun and city breaks, will be travelling alone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I went to the States by myself back in October for 2 weeks, tourbus dealy across a few different states, was a great fun, www.contiki.com is the site if anyones interested, most people on it are couples or on their own, its a great way to meet people. lot of Aussies on it but a good mixture from all over the world, we had a German couple, a girl from Scotland, one from England, two Italian girls, a guy from Singapore, 3 Japanese girls and a few Americans. Its not a "singles" holiday in that sense but a few people inevitabley hooked up, as these things do. Its a great way to see a country though, and the tour guide is hilarious, plus she gets you into all the nightclubs in Vegas for free :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Blue_Light

I wouldn't have considered myself to be the kind of person to head off on a holiday on my own, I was always someone who had a best friend or a boyfriend to do that with. Don't think I'd have been confident enough to. Broke up with my long term boyfriend there in the last year and now I'm looking at going on my first holiday since and to be honest I'm LOVING the idea of it. The amount of memories I have of being really excited about seeing some exhibition or museum abroad, for it to be ruined because the person I'm with insisted on coming because we were on holidays together, but then got bored and sulky after fifteen minutes.

Sure you do have a few minutes when you're away where you think ah this would be nice to share with someone, but being on your own is often way more relaxing because you can honestly do exactly what you do, when you want to, how you want to, without having to consider anyone but yourself. I find that it takes me a day or so of being on my own to actually truly unwind and relax into myself and then I feel like a new person.

If you wanted to go away with a group though, I know someone who went on a tour of Australia with Contiki tours and she loved every second of it, don't get a huge amount of time to yourself though.

• Advertisement

Blue_Light wrote: »
    I wouldn't have considered myself to be the kind of person to head off on a holiday on my own, I was always someone who had a best friend or a boyfriend to do that with. Don't think I'd have been confident enough to. Broke up with my long term boyfriend there in the last year and now I'm looking at going on my first holiday since and to be honest I'm LOVING the idea of it. The amount of memories I have of being really excited about seeing some exhibition or museum abroad, for it to be ruined because the person I'm with insisted on coming because we were on holidays together, but then got bored and sulky after fifteen minutes.

Sure you do have a few minutes when you're away where you think ah this would be nice to share with someone, but being on your own is often way more relaxing because you can honestly do exactly what you do, when you want to, how you want to, without having to consider anyone but yourself. I find that it takes me a day or so of being on my own to actually truly unwind and relax into myself and then I feel like a new person.

If you wanted to go away with a group though, I know someone who went on a tour of Australia with Contiki tours and she loved every second of it, don't get a huge amount of time to yourself though.

What I did was booked into the hotels where the contiki tour started and ended (they tell you weeks in advance) for 2 nights at the beginning (LA) and 3 nights in the end (San Francisco) and I had rooms to myself and time to myself, there were still a few people from the contiki around but the main tour had moved on, so just chilled out by myself to end the tour, and you're right about doing things on your own time, its great. I spent 4 hours sitting in a sports bar watching baseball and chatting to the locals, know why? cos I could.
    I didnt have someone else whinging they wanted to see some sight or go do something. and the times where I did go see some tourist thing I left when I felt like it not cos someone else was complaining they were tired or wanted to go drinking, going on holidays with friends is great, but so is travelling alone, you're out of your comfort zone with only yourself to keep you entertained, and it definitely boosts confidence and makes you more chatty around strangers cos its just you being you. I really recommend it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

Yip, a trip to france and a seperate trip to the US. Both were after painful breakups and I needed to get away.

I had a lot of fun on them and they brought back fun and happiness into my life at a time when I wasn't doing too good.

Anyway, sorry but of a downer there!

Yes, definitely recommend holidays on your own. After a lot of research for the french holiday I used this company http://www.markwarner.co.uk/ as I didnt want to get charged a mad single supplement. The only thing was that i had to make my own way to the UK, but a cheap ryanair flight took care of that:).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

krudler wrote: »
    I spent 4 hours sitting in a sports bar watching baseball and chatting to the locals, know why? cos I could.

That sums up the best part tbh. I was dreading going to restaurants in NY on my own and it ended up being one of the favourite parts of my trip. I got to do loads of people watching and brought my guide book with me so that I could plan my trip for the next day so those dinners ended up being great fun.

SheRa wrote: »
    That sums up the best part tbh. I was dreading going to restaurants in NY on my own and it ended up being one of the favourite parts of my trip. I got to do loads of people watching and brought my guide book with me so that I could plan my trip for the next day so those dinners ended up being great fun.

I decided I was going over to the States after a breakup too, well a few months after but just needed the time away and tbh just to have something to look forward to, planning it kept my mind off my ex.

I loved meeting new people on it, even just sitting in a coffee shop people watching was relaxing, and I love airports for some reason lol most people hate them but I love just sitting there wondering where people are going to and where they're from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

Yeah I went on a "Contiki" road trip around the USA. Was brillant and it was not in your face "singles" trip. Was more of a bunch of people who just happened to be single but didnt want to see some famous sites by themselves and as a result went on this trip. It was definitely not a hook up with someone trip.
    What I did was booked into the hotels where the contiki tour started and ended (they tell you weeks in advance) for 2 nights at the beginning (LA) and 3 nights in the end (San Francisco) and I had rooms to myself and time to myself, there were still a few people from the contiki around but the main tour had moved on, so just chilled out by myself to end the tour, and you're right about doing things on your own time, its great. I spent 4 hours sitting in a sports bar watching baseball and chatting to the locals, know why? cos I could.
    I didnt have someone else whinging they wanted to see some sight or go do something. and the times where I did go see some tourist thing I left when I felt like it not cos someone else was complaining they were tired or wanted to go drinking, going on holidays with friends is great, but so is travelling alone, you're out of your comfort zone with only yourself to keep you entertained, and it definitely boosts confidence and makes you more chatty around strangers cos its just you being you. I really recommend it :)

Sounds like the Contiki trip i did.
    I went to the States by myself back in October for 2 weeks, tourbus dealy across a few different states, was a great fun, www.contiki.com is the site if anyones interested, most people on it are couples or on their own, its a great way to meet people. lot of Aussies on it but a good mixture from all over the world, we had a German couple, a girl from Scotland, one from England, two Italian girls, a guy from Singapore, 3 Japanese girls and a few Americans. Its not a "singles" holiday in that sense but a few people inevitabley hooked up, as these things do. Its a great way to see a country though, and the tour guide is hilarious, plus she gets you into all the nightclubs in Vegas for free :D

Nobody hooked up in my Contiki group...i didnt find it was that sort of tour at all. Just lots of young people out seeing the world.

Advertisement