Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single - Would you holiday alone?

Options
  • 03-04-2008 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

Would you go on a singles holiday? I mean one of those tour company trips especially for singles. I dont think I would. Would be happy to go away on my own alright but not with a big sticker with 'Im single' stuck to my lapel.

Has anyone done it?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

I think its a great idea, but personally. . I'd be too mortified to do it. An ex of mine actually did it and loved it. As far as I know he still does it. But I'd do it with other single friends.

I went away recently to the Czech republic with one other girl, who is in a relationship, and she's a fantastic friend and I lover her to bits and would go away with her again in the morning, but she spoke endlessly of her partner. and all I could do was listen, couldnt share similar stories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭MizzLolly

No NO... God no!!

Careful now Sarah, they're locking all of your threads here! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I have locked the other thread that you stated yourself personally was created to make a point. If you wish to make a point, make it in feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Windsock

I have already sent you a PM. These posts are not to make a point, I have valid questions and Mizzlolly is wrong in second guessing me and responding for me and you are taking it as gospel... I think they are valid threads and I wish for them to be re-opened.

SS

There is a boards ski holiday.....I would love to go on that.

Otherwise I don't really see the appeal of a group holiday. Unless it was to somewhere I mightn't feel safe, or be able to communicate with the locals at all.

I imagine these singles holidays are beachy ones? Not really my thing.

I almost prefer to go on holiday on my own, as you get a chance to meet more people. So you have a better expierence.
    I don't get to see alot of my friends that much now tough, so Holidays are catch up time.

I'm not too enarmoured of couple holidays. I think it is nicer to have minibreak weekends with a partner, and leave the holiday for your friends.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Windsock

I have already sent you a PM. These posts are not to make a point, I have valid questions and Mizzlolly is wrong in second guessing me and responding for me and you are taking it as gospel... I think they are valid threads and I wish for them to be re-opened.

SS

I am not taking anything as Gospel. I came on here last night and saw that you had created a load of threads within the space of a few minutes. Some people re-acted in the thread, which I kept closed until I heard from you yourself that they are not created 'to make a point', because that's what it looked like.
    Anyway, your thread is re-opened now so it can all get back on topic.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

a male friend of mine went on one to Oz for 3 weeks, he thought it was brilliant and would definately recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭mumof2

im thinking about it, but don't know anything about the organisers. any links available? Its good for places your unsure of, and once youve been, then one could always go back alone..........
    im from amsterdam, and have no trouble going there on my own, but thats different. im now thinking of going to venice or somewhere different to see other parts of the world, but am very nervous of travelling alone these days.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

I just go on holidays myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭Clink

Go by yourself and stay in hostels, you'll meet a ton of other lone travellers and most likely have a ball. Best ever trips I've done have been by myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 PurplePossum

Hey found this link bout holidaying alone, dont know if any help... http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/travel/2008/0802/1217368820917.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭runningman

I went a a package tour on my own this year, most people on the tour were there on their own as well. Had serious craic on it.

Saw one of those 18-30 holidays before on a beach in Spain - the conversation between the girls (English) beside us was along these lines -

Girl 1 - "I love bum sex"
    Girl 2 - "which lad do you like?"
    Girl 1 - "Ricky"
    Girl 2 - "Everyone - Rickys getting bum sex tonight off Girl1"

Que - lots of wolf whistling and cheering - girl 1 gets up and takes a bow - not even embarrassed!

-CLASSY GIRL!!!

So unless your that girl I say just head off on your own or with close friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Clink wrote: »
    Go by yourself and stay in hostels, you'll meet a ton of other lone travellers and most likely have a ball. Best ever trips I've done have been by myself.

This is a good idea - I travelled on my own before and met stacks of people. A few years later travelled with my sister and had told her how friendly people were in hostels and that we would meet lots of people. It didn't happen, no-one really came near us because there was 2 of us..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

runningman wrote: »
    I went a a package tour on my own this year, most people on the tour were there on their own as well. Had serious craic on it.

Saw one of those 18-30 holidays before on a beach in Spain - the conversation between the girls (English) beside us was along these lines -

Girl 1 - "I love bum sex"
    Girl 2 - "which lad do you like?"
    Girl 1 - "Ricky"
    Girl 2 - "Everyone - Rickys getting bum sex tonight off Girl1"

Que - lots of wolf whistling and cheering - girl 1 gets up and takes a bow - not even embarrassed!

-CLASSY GIRL!!!

So unless your that girl I say just head off on your own or with close friends.

*cough*PM*cough*linky*cough*

It would be a great laugh to go on one of them but me as a guy probably couldn't. It would be too AHHHH. Now I must talk to my buddy sean about....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭runningman

*cough*PM*cough*linky*cough*

http://www.club18-30.com/club/
    Manwhore!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭fruitbat

Sorry to hijack but was thinking of this earlier today...

Where could I go on my own? I'm 27, not particularly confident.

I'd love to go somewhere, but at this point in time there isn't really anyone for me to go with. I think if I went somewhere on my own it would be awful - I'd just hide in my room the whole time reading books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i think theres a website- patt.ie (people alone travelling together) that does singles holidays, but is not into pushing people together

personally would love to try it but am a bit nervous that would end up bored or else with horrible people...

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭dulchie75

I'd love to go on a sun holiday, get away from this cold weather and clear my head about my ex:mad:, all my friends are either married or with someone and obviously they want to spend their holidays with their partners.

Would anyone consider going on a sun holiday alone or is that too sad. I'm not a great mixer but the thought of spending a week on the beach reading a good book feels like heaven.

What do my fellow single girls do when they need a break?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Go watch Shirley Valentine then make up your mind!

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I would - but I wouldn't go on a sun holiday alone. I'd prefer to do some kind of activity holiday if I was to go alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

dulchie75 wrote: »
    I'd love to go on a sun holiday, get away from this cold weather and clear my head about my ex:mad:, all my friends are either married or with someone and obviously they want to spend their holidays with their partners.

Would anyone consider going on a sun holiday alone or is that too sad. I'm not a great mixer but the thought of spending a week on the beach reading a good book feels like heaven.

What do my fellow single girls do when they need a break?

I do it all the time, and it's fun. Only problem is that it's a lot more expensive, because you end up paying for the "missing" person most of the time. Think back to various places you've been, and notice all the people on their own - you've no idea if their friends/partners are just somewhere else at the time, or if they came alone. No-one's looking at you, no-one else cares. Just avoid picking up strange men, and stay safe.

Thoie, what places have you visited? I was thinking of maybe renting an apartment and then book flights, would work out cheaper.

It wouldn't bother me if I was just to go for dinner and then home in the evening, just need to get away.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭kathy2

There are two sides to every story I am in a "couple" but the other half wont go anywhere lazy git. So off I go anywhere I want, life is too short. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I went to Fuertaventura a few years ago on my own and had a great time. The only real downsides were trying to put suncream on my own back (:p)and eating dinner on my own each evening got a bit lonely, but other than that I absolutely loved the freedom of it.

If you fancy it, go for it - sure it's only a week!

dulchie75 wrote: »
    Thoie, what places have you visited? I was thinking of maybe renting an apartment and then book flights, would work out cheaper.

It wouldn't bother me if I was just to go for dinner and then home in the evening, just need to get away.

Dulchie, I usually stick to Lanzarote (the Matagorda area is quiet, with handy supermarkets while being a cheap bus trip/taxi ride into the main nightlife of Puerto Del Carmen). I've also been to the Carribean via the US, various parts of France and a few places around Ireland (which doesn't qualify for a sun getaway :))

On business I've been all over Europe alone, but that's a bit different I suppose. For holidays I generally feel more comfortable sticking to places where I speak the language, in case of emergency, but that's just me.

A few unasked for tips:
    • If you fancy a bit of company, don't rule out anyone based on age - some "old" people can have fascinating things to tell, some really young people can be great fun. If you meet up with some people you like, take it easy, and maybe arrange to meet back at a particular bar the next day, rather than swapping phone numbers or telling them where you're staying.
    • Arrange a call to someone at home each day even if it's 30 seconds to say "Hi, I'm not dead".
    • I keep a photocopy of my passport in my purse, with contact details for relatives, and details of allergies, and the address of where I'm staying (not the actual apartment number). Never had any need to use it though!
    Seriously though, if you need a break, just go for it. I have plenty of people that I could go on holidays with, but I like doing my own thing, and I don't want to have to go shopping, or have to go to the beach, or have to go clubbing - when you go on your own you can just wander around at will instead of sticking to someone elses schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Doozie

I couldn't recommend it highly enough. :) I have gone on a few holidays on my ownio out of choice, which confused my friends a lot (those who wouldn't even go to the cinema on their own) I found that being able to go, do what I wanted, when I wanted meant I could be completely selfish and be happy:D. I've done an activity holiday too which was cool. The only time I was slightly uncertain about it was on my own in Thailand because I felt a little vulnerable and in Italy when I kept needing to nudge someone and say 'wow, look at that' but there was no one there. I think a sun holiday would be perfect because you can read/write the million books you've been wanting to and your time and head space is your own.
    You go girl!

g'em wrote: »
    The only real downsides were trying to put suncream on my own back (:p)

Oh, god, yeah, I do hate that bit, and have ended up with some bad stripes where I've missed. If you pack a cheap, thin, worn old hand towel, you can slather that with sun cream and then do your back with that by holding each end - it's still awkward though, and a bit of a waste of sun cream :)

There was me feeling sorry for myself thinking I was the only one in this position,thanks girls you've really cheered me up.:D

I was actually thinking of going to Matagorda, was there last year with my folks for a wk and really liked it.

Def going to have a look at apartments and flights and book something.

Thanks a mill xx

Aw, glad you feel better.

The places I've stayed in Matagorda are the Marazul Apartments, and the Costa Sal Apartments. Both are perfectly nice - simple enough but have beds, bathrooms, kitchens and sofas - and they're clean! :)

The Marazul is much smaller (maybe 20 bungalows), and is really really handy for the supermarket and beach (there's also a nice Chinese in the group of shops that does takeaway if you're feeling really lazy). Sign up for their barbecue night - it's pretty good fun and the staff really let their hair down. There's a big hotel across the road, so there's always taxis around.

The Costa Sal is a bit more impersonal, but being a lot bigger has two pools, an on site shop, 24 hour reception. There's a bus stop right outside the door that goes into Arecife and Puerto Del Carmen, and reception will always call you a taxi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Merge , the search function is your friend!

Advertisement