Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single - Would you holiday alone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eimear1

Hey there, have travelled alone quite a bit and it is definitely something i love. Anytime i've been a bit uncertain i have signed up to a small group tour such as www.intrepid.com (Vietnam and Cambodia trips are fantastic) Have also done shorter breaks in Europe and while i would sometimes miss having someone to nudge and say"wow" to, the extra freedom is priceless esp when you only have a day or two somewhere to see all you want to see.
    Singles holidays to the sun all sound a bit seedy for me, am not the most outgoing or uninhibited person and think it would all just be embarrasingly sex-mad!!! Have seen some of these groups while in holiday resorts, and no offence to those who go but its not my sort of thing.
    E

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

well going on holidays abroad for women is kinda dangerous IMO, of course it dangerous for us men also but more so for women.

But that aside i cant see anything wrong with going on holiday alone to relax and unwind and have no interference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

well going on holidays abroad for women is kinda dangerous IMO, of course it dangerous for us men also but more so for women.

But that aside i cant see anything wrong with going on holiday alone to relax and unwind and have no interference!

I can see why you might think that it would be far more dangerous for women but once you take precautions it really isn't, in fact no more dangerous than being in Dublin for the day. Actually off topic , I love Dublin and I can see myself always living here but I've been around the world and I think that Dublin is the least safe city in the world with the amount of junkies and skangers around the place trying to intimidate people you, but anyway back on topic.

If I'd an hour to kill waiting for a friend here in Dublin, Id go to the pub or cafe for a drink. I wouldn't get locked as, as well as that being really pathetic, I would be more vunerable then. Same if im out with friends. Also I've always enough taxi money to get home if I miss the nitelink etc.

Its about being safe and confident and aware of your surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

SheRa wrote: »
    I can see why you might think that it would be far more dangerous for women but once you take precautions it really isn't, in fact no more dangerous than being in Dublin for the day. Actually off topic , I love Dublin and I can see myself always living here but I've been around the world and I think that Dublin is the least safe city in the world with the amount of junkies and skangers around the place trying to intimidate people you, but anyway back on topic.

If I'd an hour to kill waiting for a friend here in Dublin, Id go to the pub or cafe for a drink. I wouldn't get locked as, as well as that being really pathetic, I would be more vunerable then. Same if im out with friends. Also I've always enough taxi money to get home if I miss the nitelink etc.

Its about being safe and confident and aware of your surroundings.

You've hit the nail on the head 100% here. There are waaaaaaay safer places than Dublin. I've felt a lot more comfortable being alone in any number of locations outside Ireland than being alone in Dublin late on a weekend night. As you said, take the normal, reasonable precautions and worries about safety should not be a show-stopper when deciding to travel alone

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I haven't been on holiday on my own exactly but I've been alone in other places. For example, I did an interview in London and went a day early and wandered around alone looking at the sights. I really enjoyed it cos I did exactly what I want. I did this again when I visited a friend who lived there, she had to work during the day so I amused myself.

I also went on holiday to Majorca with some girls but no one wanted to go on a day trip of this lovely cave which had millions of stalagmites and stalactites (Cueves Del Drach) so I just went on my own. It's the way to get things done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭mylittlepony

I went on a girlies holiday last year and I really wanted to go horse-riding, a day trek with swimming in the sea on horse etc.
    None of the girls i went holiday with are into horses, so I went ahead by myself, of course was worrying for nothing about being on own with strangers etc.
    Had a brillant time and romance with my horse guide (I was on my own in a small group of two teenagers, family with one child and two young couples, so he looked after me ;)) which was a nice romantic surprise :D

So I would defo go on holiday on my own if I had the money now especially a horse riding holiday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

I've never gone away on my own but if I needed a break away and just wanted to relax and do my own thing then I would go on my own, why not, otherwise probably not. I've heard of lots of single peoples' group holidays which are supposed to be great craic and you meet people in similar situations. My brother did one in Oz and loved it. You'd have to be pretty outgoing though, I don't think it would be the best for a very shy person who won't talk to people.

As long as you're safe and have your wits about you I don't see the problem in it. I've often gone on holiday with a big gang and gone off on my own cause they were doing my head in or we wanted to do different things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Salome

I've travelled a fair bit alone on business - I've been quite familiar with the places I've been and always have back-up assistance in the places that I've been due to the nature of my work.

I do love travelling alone though - it means you don't have to babysit your friends and you can do anything you like.

One of my favourite solo trips was to Lanzarote, I was a bit hacked off with a bloke I'd been seeing - it turned out he wasn't as keen as I was - so I arranged a short trip to Lanzarote for myself to re-group. I had a great time - totally chilled and relaxed and accountable to no-one. I met up with an old friend of mine who worked over there too and I soon forgot young-feller-me-lad at home ;).

I'd have no hesitation about travelling in Europe/US/Australia or New Zealand alone - perhaps in Asia/Africa might be less safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭quinevere

expeida flying from belfast are doing single trips and i want to book one for lanzarote some time away by myself and a book sounds likes heavan and sunshine too boot if you want to do something do it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pat McGhee

SarahSassy wrote: »
    Would you go on a singles holiday? I mean one of those tour company trips especially for singles. I dont think I would. Would be happy to go away on my own alright but not with a big sticker with 'Im single' stuck to my lapel.

Has anyone done it?

A buddy of mine went to Africa in March for 3 weeks on his lonesome, but in a group tour thing. There was a girl from Switzerland on her own too so they ended up being lumped together sharing tents/bunk rooms, etc.... Of course the inevitable happened, romance blossomed & he just spent the bank holiday weekend with her coz he travelled over.

All together now....... AHHHHHHHHH ........ :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭SarahSassy

Just spotted that Budget travel do holiays for one to the sun..

http://www.budgettravel.ie/travel/SingularlySuperb/

• Registered Users Posts: 22,049 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Been single i have gone on holidays to Canada on my own but only went there because i have friends there.

I did go on holiday last year with 3 other guys, but not into the same things and the best time i had was when i went on my own to do somethings i enjoy and they did not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 cleopatra123

Hi lovelygirl,
    I did'nt expect to find someone on the same boat as me, i am going to cyprus on my own & im not sure i am doing the right thing.
    If you feel like booking for cyprus & find your alone maybe we could get to know each other and there's always the option of meeting up:cool:
    I am 35yrs old, & defo same situation, just been so fed up depending on others, it will never happen thinking that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

last year i went to cuba on my own, but i joined a tour group cause i didn't speak spanish.....
    this year, i'll be heading to columbia without a group. i have to admit, when you travel on your own like this it does take more effort. you do have to put yourself out there more.
    but as long as you take a common sense approach its ok. i mean, you are not going to go out and get legless and expect some one to look after you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

The best holiday I ever had was the week I spent in Florence Italy by myself. Simply heaven. And as it being safe or not, take a few simple precautions and all is well.

fyi - the company to Cuba with was Exodus http://www.exodus.co.uk/

maybe other people can post the names/sites of the companies they did tours with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

ciagr297 wrote: »
    last year i went to cuba on my own, but i joined a tour group cause i didn't speak spanish.....
    this year, i'll be heading to columbia without a group. i have to admit, when you travel on your own like this it does take more effort. you do have to put yourself out there more.
    but as long as you take a common sense approach its ok. i mean, you are not going to go out and get legless and expect some one to look after you

ciagr297 would love to hear how you get on travelling independently in Columbia, definitely want to go there some time.

I went on my own on a 1 week yoga holiday in Gozo two years ago and it was great. We had yoga classes in the morning and evening and there were a few group activities (dinners/walks/snorkelling) but there was lots of free time to do your own thing. I am very tempted to try a yoga-and-surfing holiday at some stage.

sure thing i'll let you know, just in the planning stages for columbia right now - looks like it may be july/august..... very excited though!

i was actually thinking about a yoga holiday as well, which company did you go with?

for the first time in ages i went to spain with someone in nov, but i have to say i didn't enjoy it as much as if i had gone on my own. i felt like everything had to be a "group" activity

fyi - the company to Cuba with was Exodus http://www.exodus.co.uk/

maybe other people can post the names/sites of the companies they did tours with?

I'm always going on about these guys here but I really can't fault them. http://www.geckosadventures.com/

Their tours are designed for people who want to travel alone but also want a small bit of structure and the backup of a local guide. You still have tons of independence but all the hard stuff like border crossing etc is done for you. I've done a few of their Asia tours and am planning on a south america one next. When I'm travelling I usually start with one of their trips then follow on with another few weeks/months on my own in the same region.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I was actually just thinking about this topic, as I recently took a short trip to Bruges on my own. I've no problems with being insecure or not enjoying my own company as I have been to lots of places alone and moved abroad alone, but I realised that when it comes to holidays and sightseeing, I would much rather have company. I felt it a lot in Bruges as everyone else seemed to be in a couple or group. The worst thing for me was wanting to point and say 'look at that' or ask their opinion on something and I couldn't. I just thought about how much friend X or friend Y would love it and how nice it would be to have a chat over lunch instead of reading my book. I would never let being on my own stop me from visiting somewhere I'd really like to visit, but in general I much prefer going with other people. I was planning to go to Paris on my own in a few weeks but now I think I'll see if anyone would like to come.

What I am shocked about is how many people have the gall to comment on me being on my own. I wouldn't even NOTICE someone travelling alone, let alone be rude enough to say something! Today I was sitting down having a sandwich beside this monument and two different people sniggered and made a comment about me being a loner :eek: They WERE teenagers, but still, is it really so strange for someone to sit down and have a sandwich on their own? I used to do it in Dublin all the time, never a single comment there. Another time I was doing a studio tour in NYC and some cow turned around and went 'OMG, you're here on your OWN?' Now I just feel pity that some people can't comprehend being comfortable in your own skin and doing what you want, but imagine if I'd been a bit insecure or lonely? Those comments would probably have made sure I never did it ever again. I used to think it was totally in my own head and no-one would even look at me twice, but it appears that some halfwits care enough to comment! Weird :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Walls

They sound horrendous. I'd stay travelling on my own if that is an indication of what people are like.

That's awful - some people are just jerks :mad:
    I guess there are certain places where you expect to see people travelling on their own. Like Asia, South America etc. The well worn backpacker trails are full of solo travellers and no one bats an eyelid. City breaks on the other hand are not really aimed at the same market and it's probably more unusual to see a solo traveller in that environment. It's a shame because there should be nowhere that you feel uncomfortable going when you're on your own!
    IzzyWizzy, I get the feeling from your post that it won't stop you travelling alone again anyway :D Good for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

It's amazing how many people out there just can't fathom going off on their own to travel or even go to a museum or out to a restaurant. In a way, I feel sorry for them (sorry if that sounds patronizing). I just know that, if I had that mentality, I would have missed out on so many amazing experiences. I would never have backpacked around Europe or traveled to Australia or even taken road trips to various parts of the US.
    It is great to share things like that with other people, but there's also a lot of joy and fun to be found in doing it on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

sure thing i'll let you know, just in the planning stages for columbia right now - looks like it may be july/august..... very excited though!

i was actually thinking about a yoga holiday as well, which company did you go with?

I went with yogatraveller. I didnt think I'd enjoy getting up early (well not that early really but I'm not a morning person!) to do yoga but I surprised myself. A friend of mine did a yoga retreat when she was in Thailand (dont know what company ran it) and it was very intensive - lots of yoga and meditation and fasting. Not sure I'd be able for that but I'm sure it's great for you. The yoga and surfing holiday I'm interested in is with freerangeholidays (I think).

On the general topic of travelling alone, there are so many wonderful places in the world to see and experiences to be had, it would be a shame to miss out on them just because your friends/partner do not have the same interests and can't/wont go with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lobelia Overhill

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    What I am shocked about is how many people have the gall to comment on me being on my own.

I'm a bit of a Betty No Mates, since all of my friend's left for "sunnier climes" over the last few years, I don't eat out anywhere on my own for fear of people staring or saying something!

I usually go on holiday alone, but tend to stay with friends/relations, so it works out OK that way. Last year I went on holiday to Canada, I don't know anyone there so I was all on my ownsome, didn't bother me in the slightest and no one paid any attention to me being alone :D

I'd like to try a "singles" holiday but I'm a bit worried about creeps and wierdos using it as a "pick up joint"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I'd go on hols on me tod but not a singles event type thing.
    Considered going inter railing on my own a few years back.
    Sometimes go to coffee shops etc on me own, it's nice, just sit back, relax and watch the world go by. Don't feel in a rsush to finish it or anything. Just nice and relaxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ChickCave

I'm a 30 yr old female. I went to NZ last year on my own for a month. I went on a tour (haka tours) for most of it as I'd never travelled alone before and it is so far away. Turned out I had a fab time, had a few days on my own at the beginning and end of the trip and spent 16 days with the same group of people touring the island. Would deffo recommend it.

I'm thinging of going to italy this year probably for a week or so, would have no hesitation going alone

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭dulchie75

ChickCave I would love to do that, I've been to Oz before years ago with friends but would love to try NZ. What kind of people were in the group you travelled with, I mean was there many single people or was it all couples?

I reckon if I did it once I would def do it again.

Good woman enjoy Italy if you get going:D

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭LOLA08

hi

not sure if this is the right fourm to put this in, please feel free to move it if not.

i am 35 female and single, all my friends are in relationships. i would love to go on a sun holiday this year, just to relax and chill out in the sun. no sight seeing, no adventures, nothing. i need a break just to recharge the batteries. but as my friends are all in couples it leaves me on my own for hols. & i dont feel comfortable going on my own, it be different if i was travelling & sight seeing but on a sun hol. i'd perfer to have company.

I cant see to find any web sites for single people who want this type of hol. so i could go with a group, does anyone know of any??

thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Lola I've merged your thread into a similar one from a while back :)

Advertisement