Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single - Would you holiday alone?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

I love travelling alone and have taken a few trips with these guys http://www.geckosadventures.com/

The trips are all quite far afield so may not be your thing if you want to stay local. They're aimed at those who like to travel independently but don't want to be completely alone. There's no singles supplements either (I hate the extra expense of that when travelling alone so it was a big draw for me :)).

There were 11 on my last trip and they were all solo travellers. Great craic altogether. PM me if you want any more detailed info.

Just in general, I can't recommend travelling on your own enough - it feels great that you're completely free to do whatever you want and you always bump into people doing the same thing. You'll come back with stories you'll remember forever. have fun!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Was contacted about a discounted singles holiday cruise of the Carrib, but decided against it, because it would just be a very concentrated pub/club pickup scene. Getting hit by one-liners (times 100) would not be my idea of a fun cruise. I'd rather go with someone I know and want to be with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Have gone on holiday alone manys the time, and its usually a far more relaxing and interesting holiday than the one's I've shared with people. You can take a city break and spend your time seeing and doing exactly what you want, or you can take a beach holiday and do the same, either way its all about how you feel about spending time alone, and how comfortable you are in your own company.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭quinevere

Arcee wrote: »
    I love travelling alone and have taken a few trips with these guys http://www.geckosadventures.com/
    :D

Just checked out the geckosadventure website serious looks good thiking of doing the cuba experience virgin atlantic fly to cuba which works well but the prices are good for single travel !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lovelygirl

Hi everybody
    All my friends are in relationships etc and I struggle to find like minded people to go away with. Is there any sites that connect people who could go away together? I don't think I'd enjoy holidaying alone....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lovelygirl

I checked out the Patt website but they have ceased trading. :(
    I would rather stay a bit close to home-for my first time anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

went travelling for two yesr buy my self meet loads of people along the way I found it a good experence forces you to talk to people.... Some time syou are on your own but thast what a books for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

A friend of mine went to South America on holidays on one of those package holidays - not necessarily a singles thing, but she was on her own, and she said it was fantastic.

I'd love to do something similar, but I'll put it on the list.

Never doing what I did last year again anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I go on a few trips alone every year. I'm not single but I'm not adverse to travelling alone. I usually visit European cities (London, Amsterdam, Montpellier etc) to go to concerts on my own. I always come home with new friends. Its a very nice independent feeling when you travel alone. I would definately hate those organised singles holidays. Then again, I hate holidays where anything is "organised".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭idontknowmyname

I went to Madrid last year on my own for 5 days- I had a great balance though- I did whatever I wanted during the day and then at night I met my uncle and went for a few drinks, nothing crazy or too late but it was great doing what I wanted during the day going to whatever musuems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭trevo

hi there looking for some singles people that want to go on holidays away like in spain
    i am a guy that 25 years old and look up the net and all i got was uk companys , there no irish companys so what to change this by get few girls and lads to holday with be come friends with . Ie 6 Girls and 6 lads to hit the sun soon

( like we need it with sun we getting )

i looked in to booking few rooms in hotel and get a house
    you travel to spain and stay in

Any want to help me but some think to getter just pm me here

thanks
    T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'll be headin to Edinburgh on my own in April/May. Gettin a bit of guff off the parents about it. Pity I'm 20 and not married yet like they were eh? :P

Can't say I see the problem with goin somewhere alone. I'm looking forward to drinking in the places I want, at the pace I want, eating where I want, sleeping when I want. It's gonna be great :P

great city i lived their for 2 years and its great just to walk around and take all in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Just back form 5 days in Paris on my own.
    It was a bit daunting at times, especially at night, being a woman sitting alone at a table as people seem to think it their business to question you and why you are alone.
    I would loved to have shared it with someone but I think travelling and opening yourself up to the world out there is important. I am glad I did it and shall travel alone again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I wouldn't go on a singles holiday but have gone on a city break alone and would do it again if i was in the mood and no-one else could come. Great to get out of the comfort zone! Although i was careful and did feel safe on my own. It's great having a nice dinner and glass or two of wine in the place you feel like eating in, and i bring a good book and I'm grand. Nobody bothered me when out and about, although i did have the odd chat with other people. Would recommend it. Only thing is not having anyone afterwards to reminisce with, although showing all my photos nearly made up for it. Thinking of going back to Paris later this year, as the first time i went was with a friend and she couldn't read a map or navigate the metro so i had to babysit her the whole time and we couldn't go off and do our own things the odd day.

ye it be also nice to have the odd day yourself and you would kind off get 2 know some one slightly before hand...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I did it last year. Friend who was supposed to travel with me couldn't go at the last minute so I went by myself. I wasn't totally alone - I went on a Travel Department holiday (yes, one of those :rolleyes:). Apart from Day 1 when I felt like a bit of a tool because most of the people were older than I was and I thought I was the only solo traveller, I had a really great time.

The big thing I found was that because I was on my own, I had to get talking to other people. I soon found that there were other people travelling by themselves. It turned out to be a very nice holiday - I got to go somewhere nice, I got to meet some interesting people (like someone else said, older people can be very interesting) and I never felt lonely. I also enjoyed having a hotel room all to myself. Only downside was the killer single supplement. Think it was about €100 for the week

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

I've done a Travel Department trip as well and although most people were older and in couples, everyone was really friendly and it did force you to talk to other people and get out of your comfort zone.

God no.

Nothing else screams desperate to me than a load of singletons actually signing up to this lark. .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭deathstarkiller

35 year old male here.
    I've been thinking of going somewhere by myself this year. Probably just do a weekend in Europe somewhere, Still trying to decide whether to go myself or with one of those groups.
    There are so many places I still want to see and all my friends are either married, in relationships, don't have the money or are just lazy so it's either go myself or not at all.
    Now where did I put my motivation again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

dont think so. maybe in a few years if noone else will ever holiday with me & im desperate, but even if that was the case id probably just go with my mam :p

ive been in a holiday type scenario on my own, working in a different country for a few weeks. it was a holiday destination & i felt very sad eating out on my own in the evenings. it was just after id broken up with my ex & hearing "JUST 1???" every evenings in restaurants felt lovely altogether..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SheRa

God no.

Nothing else screams desperate to me than a load of singletons actually signing up to this lark. .

Ava thats a really ignorant thing to say.

I went on a mark warner skiing trip to France by myself last year. I did it for a few reasons, the main one being that I'd never been on my own before and after coming out of a long term relationship I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it.

I did what I wanted when I wanted and had an absolute blast. It was so liberating. I also meet some great people (co-incidentally all with partners who couldn't make it) that I still keep in touch with.

Im going out with someone now but would have absolutely no problem doing one again on my own. In fact Im considering it in the next few months.

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

Well I'm going to New Zealand on wednesday. Travelling with Cmol and staying with her for a week, then going to the south island on my own to do this: http://www.kiwiexperience.com/southern-round-up-bus-pass.aspx

Cannot wait! single trips FTW! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭lily lou

I did the kiwi experience on the north Island with a few friends a few years ago, we had a great time and met up with a few people who were on their own, The tour guides are great at organising nights out etc so everyone ends up mixing with each other. You'll love it, sooo jealous:cool:

lily lou wrote: »
    I did the kiwi experience on the north Island with a few friends a few years ago, we had a great time and met up with a few people who were on their own, The tour guides are great at organising nights out etc so everyone ends up mixing with each other. You'll love it, sooo jealous:cool:
    Seriously? OMG cant wait now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Mr. Frost

God no.

I'm guessing you're in a relationship? I hope it stays fine for you!

I wouldn't personally go on a singles holiday but I've gone away on my own before and loved it! I still prefer when I go away with a girlfriend or mates though and anyone that says otherwise are kiddin' themselves. I know nobody really has, I'm just saying.

Will defo go away on my own again though, sometimes you just need that I think.

Mr. Frost wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're in a relationship? I hope it stays fine for you!

I wouldn't personally go on a singles holiday but I've gone away on my own before and loved it! I still prefer when I go away with a girlfriend or mates though and anyone that says otherwise are kiddin' themselves. I know nobody really has, I'm just saying.

Will defo go away on my own again though, sometimes you just need that I think.
    I'm really looking forward to having some time alone and meeting new people. Its not how our original plan was but this is how its gone and i'm actually really excited about it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Arcee

I think people might be confusing two things here :confused:..... a singles holiday is not the same as travelling solo. Sure there are trips designed especially for single people who want to meet other single people but I understood this thread was about people who just happen to be single and are also travelling alone. Two different types of holiday!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭MadgeBadge

My best holiday ever was all alone. I love spending time alone anyway, but I was never more surrounded by people. In the end, I was avoiding some of the people I met to go on trips solo.

You're never truly alone unless you have no imagination, or no book.

The only thing I didn't really like doing was going out to dinner by myself. Feels a bit weird.

I've never been to the cinema by myself, perhaps that's something I'll try this week...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭SeekUp

Would I holiday alone, absolutely!
    dulchie75 wrote: »
    Would anyone consider going on a sun holiday alone or is that too sad. I'm not a great mixer but the thought of spending a week on the beach reading a good book feels like heaven.
    Doozie wrote: »
    The only time I was slightly uncertain about it was on my own in Thailand because I felt a little vulnerable and in Italy when I kept needing to nudge someone and say 'wow, look at that' but there was no one there. I think a sun holiday would be perfect because you can read/write the million books you've been wanting to and your time and head space is your own.

As Doozie said, I'd think a sun holiday would be the best kind of holidays to do alone. Take some time out from your normal life, sleep in, read, clear your head, breathe in some refreshing ocean air, just relax. But to places where I'd do more exploring/tours/etc., I'd miss having someone there to share the experience.
    Arcee wrote: »
    I think people might be confusing two things here :confused:..... a singles holiday is not the same as travelling solo.

No, it's not . . . and I don't know if I would sign up for a singles trip. It'd probably be a good time -- my former roommate did one and loved it -- but not sure if it'd be my preference.

Advertisement