Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

Darran O Sullivan interviewed today on Jacks Departure etc for anyone who's interested and may have missed this earlier...

http://vimeo.com/47531008

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

I know it could be an unpopular opinion but I think Kerry had success under JOC despite him and not because of him , in fairness I could have won AI's with the players he had at his disposal. He was pretty poor from a tactical point of view , and his failure to develop more new players could prove catastrophic for Kerry football in the short to medium term. He did get lucky with various members of his backroom teams through the years and this definitely glossed over a lot of problems/issues.

I,m hoping for someone new and fresh with a totally new team attitude and outlook . Currently E Fitz appears to be in pole position and with the right team with him is probably worth a shot .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

JFlah wrote: »
    I know it could be an unpopular opinion but I think Kerry had success under JOC despite him and not because of him , in fairness I could have won AI's with the players he had at his disposal. He was pretty poor from a tactical point of view , and his failure to develop more new players could prove catastrophic for Kerry football in the short to medium term. He did get lucky with various members of his backroom teams through the years and this definitely glossed over a lot of problems/issues.

I,m hoping for someone new and fresh with a totally new team attitude and outlook . Currently E Fitz appears to be in pole position and with the right team with him is probably worth a shot .

What horsesh*t. Jack took over when we were at a low ebb after being hammered in 2003 and Paidi left. He brought the likes of O'Mahony,Galvin, Murphy..returned Marc, Tom Sullivan, Johnny Crowley to the first 15 and won 2 All Irelands in 3 years..that alone is enough to merit praise. Add in the 2009 AI victory on his return against a favoured Cork team and at that point his tenure is hugely impressive.

He has fallen down in the last 2 years I admit, not trusting younger players, bad substitutions, rows with players/management etc...but to say we've had success despite him is still ludicrous. His appointment in 2004 is one of the best things to happen to Kerry football. His value to us is underlined by the fact that there is such a lack of pretenders to the throne.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

A certain quote from Paidi O Se comes to mind :D

A certain quote from Paidi O Se comes to mind :D
    haha never thought of that , my bad! Maybe on reflection my post was a little erroneous I'm willing to admit my wrongs. I still feel though that we lost games we could have won as a result of JoC poor tactical decision making and inability to improvise , but I'll keep my opinions on the matter to myself in case of lynching :))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

What horsesh*t. Jack took over when we were at a low ebb after being hammered in 2003 and Paidi left. He brought the likes of O'Mahony,Galvin, Murphy..returned Marc, Tom Sullivan, Johnny Crowley to the first 15 and won 2 All Irelands in 3 years..that alone is enough to merit praise. Add in the 2009 AI victory on his return against a favoured Cork team and at that point his tenure is hugely impressive.

He has fallen down in the last 2 years I admit, not trusting younger players, bad substitutions, rows with players/management etc...but to say we've had success despite him is still ludicrous. His appointment in 2004 is one of the best things to happen to Kerry football. His value to us is underlined by the fact that there is such a lack of pretenders to the throne.

Moving Donaghy to full forward in '06 was his finest move, in my opinion. Didn't see any way they could win an All-Ireland after the defeat to Cork in the Munster final.

elguapo wrote: »
    Moving Donaghy to full forward in '06 was his finest move, in my opinion. Didn't see any way they could win an All-Ireland after the defeat to Cork in the Munster final.
    Agreed was a great move BUT 2012 and we have,nt moved on from or developed the tactic ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Looks like Eammon Fitzmaurice is going to get the Kerry job,its been reported in today's Examiner and just heard it on Radio Kerry as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Looks like Eammon Fitzmaurice is going to get the Kerry job,its been reported in today's Examiner and just heard it on Radio Kerry as well.
    Was on RedFM this morning that he's given a verbal commitment - no source mentioned but it's looking likely he'll take it.

Very happy with his appointment as many others will be also I would imagine, strong leader, well respected, fresh ideas hopefully, wish him all the best.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Kerry senior ladies got further than their male counterparts this year, beat Dublin, AI champions of 2 years ago 0-11 to 0-10 to make it to the semi final

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Kerry senior ladies got further than their male counterparts this year, beat Dublin, AI champions of 2 years ago 0-11 to 0-10 to make it to the semi final
    Looked a bit of a scrappy game to me. What was the attendance? it looked like a smaller crowd than expected on the TV.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Stoner wrote: »
    Looked a bit of a scrappy game to me. What was the attendance? it looked like a smaller crowd than expected on the TV.

Sure, the Kerry crowd only travel for the final:pac:

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Sure, the Kerry crowd only travel for the final:pac:

Ah Sham, be nice :D
    Stoner wrote: »

It was a small crowd alright - if there was more than 600 at it I'd be surprised, QF and SF games are very poorly attended, even though it was a double header. Scrappy enough game - but a big step for that team, beating the 2010 AI champions, Kerry lost to Tyrone in 2012 in the semi final, and Tyrone got hammered by Dublin, so you can see how it is a big win for them.

A number of dubious calls during the game alright - thought O Sullivan would crack up at one stage!!

Great win by the Kerry Juniors today, All-Ireland champions after beating Mayo 0-19 to 1-7 in Ennis. Mighty performance, well done to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

so all is not lost with yesterday, all ireland junior to go along with the Minors in the semi and a decent showing by the u-21 team, beaten after extra time by a point.

the minors are really up against it though the next day i think, form would have them being beaten by about 10 points unless they pull off the performance of their lives.

so all is not lost with yesterday, all ireland junior to go along with the Minors in the semi and a decent showing by the u-21 team, beaten after extra time by a point.

the minors are really up against it though the next day i think, form would have them being beaten by about 10 points unless they pull off the performance of their lives.

Yeah, the minors were incredibly lucky against Roscommon, hard to see them winning against a very good Dublin team. But, and I know it's a cliché, you never know what you're going to get with minors, form can fluctuate wildly from game to game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

elguapo wrote: »
    Great win by the Kerry Juniors today, All-Ireland champions after beating Mayo 0-19 to 1-7 in Ennis. Mighty performance, well done to them!

Well done Kerry on this - didn't see final but was very impressed with ye against Cavan. There are defintely 2 or 3 players that could be on seniors next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭wonga77

county championship on the weekend. Anyone to challenge the Crokes? South Kerry maybe? Feale Rangers are strong but will be coming in cold with a bye to the next round

So Eammon Fitzmaurice is the man,best of luck to him and his backroom team

http://www.facebook.com/OfficialKerryGAA/posts/454304267943529

wonga77 wrote: »
    county championship on the weekend. Anyone to challenge the Crokes? South Kerry maybe? Feale Rangers are strong but will be coming in cold with a bye to the next round

Crokes out on their own South Kerry and Stacks could be a decent game on Saturday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

So Eammon Fitzmaurice is the man,best of luck to him and his backroom team

http://www.facebook.com/OfficialKerryGAA/posts/454304267943529

Thought he was the best fella for the job, a good appointment.

Well done to the Kerry Ladies today :)

Would have loved a crack of Kerry in the semi, but in all seriousness, get behind ye're ladies senior team, will sound like madness given today, but there is some team there, if they didn't show Cork too much respect in the first half of the Munster final, they could have put Cork, all Ireland champions in serious trouble. Unfortunately the female footballers are supported way less than the male footballers in Cork, but the Kerry ladies are the dark horses in the ladies championship
    Well done to the Kerry Ladies today :)

Into the final now, can say I predicted it! Told ye they were good!!

Report from the match
    KERRY are through to a first TG4 All-Ireland ladies senior football championship final since 1993 following Saturday’s six-point victory over Connacht champions Galway.

The Kingdom, beaten at this stage of the competition in 2010 and 2011, finally smashed their semi-final hoodoo to set up a final showdown with holders Cork or League champions Monaghan on September 30.

William O’Sullivan’s Kerry breezed into the showpiece decider as they ruthlessly disposed of Galway at St Brendan’s Park, Birr.

Louise Ní Mhuircheartaigh and Sarah Houlihan were in free-scoring form for the winners as they shared ten points between them.

The opening half was score for score with Kerry opening proceedings thanks to Lorraine Scanlon before late inclusion Gillian O’Connor hit Galway’s reply.

Beaten Munster finalists Kerry were defending and attacking in numbers, and Deirdre Corridan gave them the edge once more before Lorna Joyce replied for Galway, just after Edel Concannon missed a gilt-edged goal chance for Gabriel Naughton’s side.

Kerry ace Ní Mhuircheartaigh opened her account from a free to make it 0-3 to 0-2, but once again Galway hit back within minutes as Concannon, scorer of 1-7 against Clare in the quarter-final, fired over a free.

Ní Mhuircheartaigh was causing Galway all sorts of problems and gave Kerry the edge again before Concannon notched another free and by this stage, Kerry had registered five wides from scoreable positions.

Ní Mhuircheartaigh then ensured a more impressive Kerry led by 0-5 to 0-4 at the break and the second half onslaught would book their berth in the decider.

However, it was Galway who got off to a dream start after the break when Annette Clarke fed Sinead Burke, who was moved into attack, and she squared for Concannon to make amends for her first half miss.

For the first time Galway were in the lead, but Kerry hit back with a whopping 1-6 without reply to stun Galway who had no answer to their driving style of attack.

Sarah Houlihan pelted over two frees and Ní Mhuircheartaigh followed suit, before Kingdom substitute Patrice Dennehy saw a rasping effort hit the post.

But midway through the half, Kerry netted when a long Bernie Breen ball saw her fellow midfielder Lorraine Scanlon at hand to deflect it in, with the new rules allowing the goal to stand.

Two more frees from Houlihan put Kerry 1-11 to 1-4 in front before Galway finally got their first point of the half from Tracey Leonard’s free. Shortly before, Concannon had driven an effort goal bound but it was well blocked by Kerry’s Allstar goalkeeper Edel Murphy.

Caroline Kelly and Houlihan completed Kerry’s scoring before Sinead Burke and a Becky Walsh free were all the Connacht champions could muster in their first All-Ireland semi-final since 2005.

Into the final now, can say I predicted it! Told ye they were good!!

Report from the match

Hopefully finishing will be a little better in final and some of the footpasses attempted from frees , few loose ones today, but GREAT stuff :)

Trip to Croker for my girls :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭wonga77

Well done Kerry ladies!
    The minors gave a good performance though they were completely overun in the last 5 minutes.
    Austin Stacks were full value for their win last night against a very disjointed SK side. The lack of preparation told as the sk team never gelled and were beaten all over the place in the 1st half. Stacks must be serious contenders now, very young, fit and organised

wonga77 wrote: »
    Well done Kerry ladies!
    The minors gave a good performance though they were completely overun in the last 5 minutes.
    Austin Stacks were full value for their win last night against a very disjointed SK side. The lack of preparation told as the sk team never gelled and were beaten all over the place in the 1st half. Stacks must be serious contenders now, very young, fit and organised

Stacks are VERY serious contenders not 100% sure they are quite good enough though , will be interesting finding out

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

I am trying to carry out some research and was wondering if anyone could help. I was wondering at what stages are the Senior Hurling and Football Championships in Kerry, and where is the best place to keep up with results and fixtures in these championships, for someone outside the county who cannot get the local papers or to hear the local radio stations.

Deise Tom wrote: »
    I am trying to carry out some research and was wondering if anyone could help. I was wondering at what stages are the Senior Hurling and Football Championships in Kerry, and where is the best place to keep up with results and fixtures in these championships, for someone outside the county who cannot get the local papers or to hear the local radio stations.

Hurling Semi Finals were played at the weekend

Lixnaw beat Kilmoyley on a scoreline of 14pts to 12pts,it was rumored that Paul Galvin would be togging out for Lixnaw but he didn't,

Reigning champions Ballyduff who made the Munster Intermediate final last year kept their three in a row on track by beating Causeway on a scoreline of 1-14 to 1-10

Final I think is on at the start of October

Football Championship is at the Round 3 stage,there was wins for Austin Stacks who beat South Kerry 1-9 to 7pts and Laune Rangers beat Miltown 2-9 to 8pts
    There are games on again this weekend

St Michael's-Foilmore - v - Kenmare
    Kilcummin - v - Daingean Uí Chúis
    St Kieran's Castleisland - v - Kerins O`Rahilly's
    Rathmore - v - Killarney Legion
    Dr. Crokes - v - East Kerry

Also the Intermediate Semi final is on this weekend,its between Ardfert and Finuge winners play Spa in the final

For anymore results and news check out http://www.kerrygaa.ie/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Deise Tom wrote: »

3rd round of the football Championship was played the weekend just gone, (dunno bout the hurling). Kerrygaa.ie would be fairly up to date on all the results and fixtures, click on the forums tab on the home page for discussion of same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Just heard from a friend, who was on the Laois panel under Micko, that Micko's Wife Mary Carmel O'Dwyer has died.

No confirmation as yet, but this guy wouldn't be one for making stuff up.

RIP agus Ar Dheis lámh dé go raibh a anam.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement