Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

A rebuild job required.

What an appropriate username you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

We have to face up to it football is changing and has changed , tactics , physicality , power , work ethic all coming to the fore , things that unfortunately we in Kerry seem to have neglected to a fairly large degree and imo are in serious danger of being left a little behind over the next few years. Sad as it may be out-playing a team football wise when it comes to the top sides is often not enough anymore , you need to out-think, overpower outwork and out-fight them as well . On reflection beating Tyrone so handily was VERY bad for Kerry , I think it gave a false sense of everything being ok again , which as seen today it clearly was not.
    Hopefully a proper rebuilding phase will commence asap with more emphasis on the more modern aspects of the game while trying to keep at least some of our traditional style and panache.
    Today was probably it for quite a few but not all of the greatest servants of Kerry football and it was great to see them go down battling and with their pride intact .. it will be a long time before we see their likes again and it has been a pleasure!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I really want to quote a 'certain' Kerry poster, but there really is no point as most reasonable posters already knew that he was full of shít along time ago.

I have said that I would have liked Kerry in the qf or semi final as I honestly believed we would beat them - being the better team and having the better panel. It is a pity that it won't happen, but such is life.

On todays game, despite having a centre back, midfielder/distance free taker and centre forward taken off, Kerry pushed Donegal all the way - but in truth, it would have been a travesty of injustice had ye even got a draw.

Donegal did what they were always going to do and Kerry had no answer for it. Having lost so many of their starting 15 it was upto their bench to save the day in the second half - they were simply not upto the task.

Kerry did not win Sam this year, or last year or the year before - coupled with what I think is a poor bench and a few retirements from the starting 15, it will be another few years till Sam crosses the border again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I really want to quote a 'certain' Kerry poster, but there really is no point as most reasonable posters already knew that he was full of shít along time ago.

I have said that I would have liked Kerry in the qf or semi final as I honestly believed we would beat them - being the better team and having the better panel. It is a pity that it won't happen, but such is life.

On todays game, despite having a centre back, midfielder/distance free taker and centre forward taken off, Kerry pushed Donegal all the way - but in truth, it would have been a travesty of injustice had ye even got a draw.

Donegal did what they were always going to do and Kerry had no answer for it. Having lost so many of their starting 15 it was upto their bench to save the day in the second half - they were simply not upto the task.

Kerry did not win Sam this year, or last year or the year before - coupled with what I think is a poor bench and a few retirements from the starting 15, it will be another few years till Sam crosses the border again.

Such a pity we don't have Stinicker on here for a bit of a discussion on todays games. I really miss his input. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

The nature of Kerry's exit should be of no surprise really.

The reality of Kerry over the past few years is that they have been relying on the same old stalwarts while the young guns are failing to live up to expectations, and as results the whole panel is at this stage paper thin.

When i saw Sheehan and Declan O' Sullivan coming off I knew the game was up.

Actually the game was up the night the draw was made last year.
    After overcoming Tipp, Kerry had to travel to Cork.
    That was a game that Kerry needed to win to avoid a long trip through the back door.
    A lto of Kerry folk put their faith in the fact that they went through the back door in 2009 and won and could simply do the same again, but the panel that is around now is not a patch on the 2009 panel.

During the Cork game Kerry were flat on their feet after 60 mins, and the likes of Galvin and Donaghy had been sub-ed, their replacements made no difference at all.

For a team that is aging a trip through the back door is not an option, and the meeting with Tryone in Rd3 meant that Kerry had to be 100% in the middle of July, and then be 100% again this weekend.
    All too much for the current Kerry panel.

If Kerry some how pulled it out of the fire they would have had nothing left in the tank for Cork in a few weeks time.

I would not expect this Kerry team to bounce back straight away, there will be a few more retirements this winter and I do not seriously know where the replacements will come from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

teednab-el wrote: »
    Such a pity we don't have Stinicker on here for a bit of a discussion on todays games. I really miss his input. :D

We all love a bit of comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭uriah

How often have I heard those or similar words before!

In a team which played in eight out of the last ten All Ireland SF Finals it must be difficult to maintain the motivation, giving up social life and family every summer...

uriah wrote: »
    , giving up social life and family every summer...

Same for every county.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Same for every county.

Alot harder in actual fact, when you have no success, unlike Kerry.

2010, 2011, 2012 - Sam was not won by Kerry and you won't find many putting money on Kerry lifting Sam next year either, that's just the truth of it.

Same for every county.

Only two teams get to the end of September - and when it has happened eight years out of the last ten, that adds up to a lot of summers.

• Advertisement

2010, 2011, 2012 - Sam was not won by Kerry and you won't find many putting money on Kerry lifting Sam next year either, that's just the truth of it.

100% agree. It is going to be like the 1990's again.

91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11 - years when Sam was not won by Cork

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

In a team which played in eight out of the last ten All Ireland SF Finals it must be difficult to maintain the motivation, giving up social life and family every summer...
    Surely this fact highlights how long the team has been around, ten years at this level is enough for any team.

91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000, 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 11 - years when Sam was not won by Cork

90,91,92,93,94,95,96,98,99,01,02,03,05,08,10,11,12 the years Sam not won by Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Rebel1977

Cork have won SAM more recently than Kerry have!

90,91,92,93,94,95,96,98,99,01,02,03,05,08,10,11,12 the years Sam not won by Kerry.

97, 00, 04, 06, 07, 09 -Years Sam won by Kerry.
    97 to 09 . Sam never won by Cork.

Cork unlikely to win Sam this year.
    Once every twenty years (1990 and 2010) is about as much as they can manage.

From the amount of noise they make one would think they were winning the AI regularly.

From the amount of noise they make one would think they were winning the AI regularly.

So Kerry are out of the 2012 championship. Bitter much?

Pointless debate ........ adds nothing

So Kerry are out of the 2012 championship. Bitter much?

Actually, no.
    Will enjoy the semi-final and finals as a neutral.
    Easier on the blood-pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭RealityCheck

Only two teams get to the end of September - and when it has happened eight years out of the last ten, that adds up to a lot of summers.

To quote Spillane "Thats a lot of Mileage". Definitely a massive bearing. Cork have had a good while now to lick their wounds from last year.

It won't be easy for Kerry but I'd say no better county to reinvent themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Actually, no.
    Will enjoy the semi-final and finals as a neutral.
    Easier on the blood-pressure.

So as a neutral you wont be bothered at all if Cork or Dublin Win sam this year..............right.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

*enters the Kerry GAA discussion thread*

*sees a load of lads talking about Cork football*

* :D and leaves thread*

realies wrote: »
    So as a neutral you wont be bothered at all if Cork or Dublin Winn sam this year..............right.

Would always have cheered fo Cork after Kerry was knocked out.
    Not this year.

It is kind of natural to support underdogs or newcomers after one's own team is knocked out, so I would be inclined towards Mayo.
    Thought they played lovely football yesterday, plenty of kick passes, no blanket defence, no whistling or booing from supporters.

After that, I'd want the team that plays the nicest football to win.
    Dublin or Cork on form play good football.

Don't admire Donegal's style of play.

Would always have cheered fo Cork after Kerry was knocked out.
    Not this year.

It is kind of natural to support underdogs or newcomers after one's own team is knocked out, so I would be inclined towards Mayo.
    Thought they played lovely football yesterday, plenty of kick passes, no blanket defence, no whistling or booing from supporters.

To me the Dublin and Donegal style of play aren't all that different. Would love to see Mayo end the drought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Would always have cheered for Cork after Kerry was knocked out.
    Not this year.

That makes you not a neutral then doesn't it.

To me the Dublin and Donegal style of play aren't all that different. Would love to see Mayo end the drought.
    Unfortunately don,t think they are quite good enough especially without Andy Moran

JFlah wrote: »
    Unfortunately don,t think they are quite good enough especially without Andy Moran

Dublin could be the dark horse here. Donegal could stop Cork too. I just think of the Mayo match last year. Wont be as confident this time around like the times we played them in 2006 and 2009. Different Donegal outfit now.

Dublin could be the dark horse here. Donegal could stop Cork too. I just think of the mayo match last year. Wont be as confident this time around like the times we played them in 2006 and 2009. Different Donegal outfit now.

All Ireland Champions as dark horses. Surely not? :p

Dublin could be the dark horse here. Donegal could stop Cork too. I just think of the mayo match last year. Wont be as confident this time around like the times we played them in 2006 and 2009. Different Donegal outfit now.

I think Dublin will rise their game to the level of the opposition, Cork and Donegal depends on who can impose their game to better effect ,will be some physical confrontation though very interesting to see.

• Advertisement

All Ireland Champions as dark horses. Surely not? :p

Dublin are not playing as well as last year but if they are to come right, the next two games are where it will matter, provided they beat Mayo in the process first.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement