Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kerryted

It was a great win for kerry the supporters were great and got behind there team the young lads are coming on nicely and if they keep playing like that they could go along way

as for brolly i think that he just likes to stir it up and tries to make himself more interesting you have to hop the ball every now an again, the players should be used to it and not take it personal ,Its not all about football here its very political as well , its the 6 county's against the 26, To win an all Ireland in derry was a big deal to them , lets not forget that while kerry were wining all Ireland's in the 70s and 80s the likes of Derry and Tyrone were in a struggle to just play the game , I think if you understand where they have come from and how far they have come you will understand them better ,

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

I've got the greatest of respect for the Northern teams, what they've go through and what they've achieved over the years, but Brolly just spoils it when he comes out with the kinda of sh!te he wrote last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Carraig95

The bitterness towards Kerry is once again more than evident.

Was at the game last Saturday and from 1 to 15 Tyrone from the very start had no interest in getting involved in a game of football. McMenamin is an absolute disgrace to the game, Gormley should have gotten four yellows, McMahon the same, Mugsy was in O'Mahony's face the entire game, even young McCurry tried doing it to Marc... I could go on. The Kerry lads absolutely met them at their own game, and beat them by using cynical Tyrone type play as well as some outstanding football.

As for a previous poster's comments about Micket Hart being 'let down' by the attitude of his players....Mickey Harte (while undoubtedly a great man who has had a terrible time) is the one who tells them to use these tactics. There's no doubt about that.

And as for the detractors, McStay never has a good work to say about 'Curry', and as for Brolly and Cahill....I'm pretty sure Gooch Cooper isn't too worried about what three guys with a single all Ireland Medal between them think of him...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Wow

This thread has really gone to S**t over the weekend

In reality cynicism has been around a long time, every team has been at it, and Kerry are no strangers to it.

Long before Kennelly took Nicolas out of it in the opening seconds of the All Ireland final in 2009 the Bomber was slowing the game down v Offaly in 1982

Look at 0.31 seconds in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Wow

This thread has really gone to S**t over the weekend

In reality cynicism has been around a long time, every team has been at it, and Kerry are no strangers to it.

Long before Kennelly took Nicolas out of it in the opening seconds of the All Ireland final in 2009 the Bomber was slowing the game down v Offaly in 1982

Look at 0.31 seconds in

lol

You're such a hero coming to our rescue, saving us from the evil clutches of terrible posting by coming in and putting up a video of Seamus Darbys famous goal that broke Kerry hearts.

I applaud your audacity sir

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

FYP

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,344 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Loving this thread for the past few days - quality stuff all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,011 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

PaulieC wrote: »
    lol

You're such a hero coming to our rescue, saving us from the evil clutches of terrible posting by coming in and putting up a video of Seamus Darbys famous goal that broke Kerry hearts.

I applaud your audacity sir

Sorry I was going to mention that you do not have to watch beyond 31secs but forgot to post it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Don't watch past 31 second here Tod :P

Needed to cheer our spirits up after that depressing video you posted :P

p.s Don't mean this in a nasty way, just a bit of banter. I actually like Mayo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

A good performance and a good result last Saturday. It is a really good stepping stone to build on. I think Kerry played there own brand of football and this is why we won. In the past meetings with tyrone we tried to play like them and it failed. Kerry should stick to their own style and not worry about the oppostions,this after all is what won us thirty six all Irelands. Sean Cavanagh was a massive loss to Tyrone but Ive been hearing a lot of talk saying Stephen O Neill was a big loss but if you ask me he has not been the same player after all the injuries he has received in the last few years. I think that guy pcworldisajoke is pretty funny and its good to have a clown we can all laugh at on boards. Anyways a good performance from kerry but there is a lot of work to be done.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

http://www.facebook.com/tyronegaa

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=445616565459398&set=a.184577488229975.38670.167983336556057&type=1&theater

Now, I'm not from a strong footballing County, so I have no reason to have any grieviances over Kerry's success compared to that of Tipp or Kilkenny.

I am familiar with what happens though. Everyone wants to stick the boot in because they get sick of the same team winning.

I have a lot of admiration for the quality of the Kerry team and some of the class you see when they're on song.

Galvin has had his moments, but they're not a dirty team, and to be fair to him he was made up for it with having to deal with undue punishment as a result of his reputation preceding him.

But this I think is more in relation to the Kerry people.

To hear the sending off Mickey Harte and the Tyrone team got, and the way young Kerry fans went looking for his autograph, showing an appreciation for what he's done for the game in what is a horrendous time for him dealing with an unenviable scenario, well it deserves it's fair share of commending. It was great of Mickey too to be so accomodating of the requests for his signature, and smile about it too but that's just an exhibit of the class this man has. It was class all round on Saturday night, and it's really great to see because too often we have controversial talking points that leave a sour taste. This was all positive.

Kudos to all involved :)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Anybody follow Paul Galvin on twitter?? Have a look and see what the lads had waiting for him tonight at training!! Fairness, he took it the funny way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

mickeypq.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sums up the weekend really, what the Gaa is all about. Pity we have a few kno(b)- heads on here trying to stir shyt, going on about Kerry playacting and whatever. Kerry were the better team on the day, but much respect to Mickey Harte for having the strength to go on coaching after all he has been through/

P.S: it took me the best part of an hour to figure out how to post a picture on boards, so if it doesnt look right, I did my best!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

buyer95 wrote: »
    mickeypq.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sums up the weekend really, what the Gaa is all about. Pity we have a few kno(b)- heads on here trying to stir shyt, going on about Kerry playacting and whatever. Kerry were the better team on the day, but much respect to Mickey Harte for having the strength to go on coaching after all he has been through/

P.S: it took me the best part of an hour to figure out how to post a picture on boards, so if it doesnt look right, I did my best!:D

A great picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anybody see Brian McGuigan's piece in Gaelic Life today? Fairly puts the boot into Declan O'Sullivan and Gooch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

keane2097 wrote: »
    Anybody see Brian McGuigan's piece in Gaelic Life today? Fairly puts the boot into Declan O'Sullivan and Gooch.
    Makes a change from the elbow. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

keane2097 wrote: »

Any links? On my phone and can't seem to find one oddly

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

No they won't post it online for a few days I'd say, I just bought the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭aveytare

Basically says that O'Sullivan and Gooch were rude on all-star trips and that O'Sullivan was laughing when McGuigan got the line last week. Also that O'Sullivan was ignorant after the 2010 league match when McGuigan went to shake his hand. On the other hand he said he got on with Tomas O'Se like a house on fire during those all-star trips and had kind words for Jack O'Connor (who sent him a letter wishing him well during his injury) and Paul Galvin (who sent a signed Kerry jersey during that same injury). Also complimented the Kerry fans and said he deserved to be sent-off for being stupid.

Silly enough article to write in my opinion but don't shoot the messenger lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭FastFuse

"He (O'Sullivan) was just pure ignorant (after the 2010 league game). Fair enough, it was hard on them, the way they lost (to Colm Cavanagh's late goal) but there's still a way to conduct yourself."

"When we were on trips away with the All-Stars, I got on like a house on fire with Tomás Ó Sé, for example. But not those two boys.That’s not sour grapes, because they’re class players. But there’s a way to go about things."

The irony of those statements in bold. Yes, Brian, and the way to conduct yourself and go about things is to chime about it a few days later in a column. Poor form from McGuigan in my opinion. Take the red and the defeat and come back at Kerry next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Had to laugh at he's go at O'Sullivan for sniggering at him after ''getting me sent off'', correction Barry nobody got you sent off only yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

If you hit a sly dig into a fells back when he's not looking then you have to be prepared to be punished for it. If your stupid enough to do it in front of the ref then you can definately have no complaints

Had to laugh at he's go at O'Sullivan for sniggering at him after ''getting me sent off'', correction Barry nobody got you sent off only yourself!
    I know he throws a good jab but he's Brian not Barry :P :P :P

Nonesense from McGuigan, and if the lads did ignore him on their trip, then maybe it was down to McGuigan himself rather then the Gooch and Declan.

Anytime I've met them, they have always been friendly, Gooch sorted out my Internet banking for example :P

Anyway, if im away on holidays, with someone I don't like, Im not going to act all buddy buddy with him just for his sake.
    Have to laugh at the uproar over the sending off. The fact that the game was a physical one does not excuse McGuigan from throwing an elbow into Declan's back. His face as he was going into strike leaves me in no doubt that he wanted to hurt Declan, and he has no one to blame but himself.

As for Declan laughing at him, from what I could see he was still face down getting treatment as McGuigan was walking off, but there was 26,000 Kerry fans doing enough laughing for him.

Pity he couldn't conduct himself like Mulligan, who took his beating, and stayed around after the game, wearing a Kerry jersey signing autographs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I know he throws a good jab but he's Brian not Barry :P :P :P

LOL rookie mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwmErywscOc&feature=player_embedded

Saw this today, had totally forgot about it,
    Now thats what you call a proper dive :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭ollaetta

wonga77 wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwmErywscOc&feature=player_embedded

Saw this today, had totally forgot about it,
    Now thats what you call a proper dive :rolleyes:

Chronic example alright. Not one for Mr. Canavan to be exactly proud of.
    The instant recovery when the card came out was worthy of Lazarus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭kerryted

Anyone worried about Clare, I was there in 92 in Limerick, that was a day that i will never forget, Jacko standing out in the middle of the park ,that was his last game for Kerry, on another note watched the 79 final on TG4 KerryV Dublin, the amount of misplaced passes and turn overs were unreal on both sides but saying that the backs were backs back than ,Catch it and hoof it, get it out here, as hard as nails , the Horse was salvage in that game.

Raging. So stupid of Galvin.

I know it was 2 Yellows, and he won't miss the next game, but how can a guy like Paul keep falling for the same auld shíte. Same guy who Paul got sent off against for the famous Slapping the Book incident, John Hayes. Galvin was clean and played his game, but all changed in 2 minutes of madness. Galvin was on the ground, and something was said or done, because he stood up, and hit John Hayes in the back with a sneaky dig. He then ran after Hayes and hit him a shoulder off the ball. Then he hammered into the Clare number 5 after he had handpassed the ball away, which he was later booked for. He kept chasing Hayes, and was clearly raging.
    Clare got a free, and Jakc had 2 subs waiting on the sideline. The referee came back and booked Galvin for the hit on number 5, and everyone called for him to be taken off there and then. Jack had plenty of time to make the sub but, instead stuck to his guns and took off Donnacha and Declan.

Clare put the ball over the bar, and from the next kickout, Hayes won the break. Galvin swung high for him and caught him no the chin with a forearm. The Clare crowd were so downtrodden by the 15 point deficit at the time, they barely shouted for him to be sent off. all you could hear was groans from the Kerry crowd, and the odd, "You fúcking eejit Galvin" been thown out from the crowd.

The first yellow was flashed quickly before the red was produced which eased some peoples fears, but Paul wasn't finished, rushing back into the crowd of players to have a go at another player. Some people clapped him off for his (up to that point) fine performance, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. This man has it tough no doubt, but acting the díck like he did last night, at a stage when Kerry were cruising, playing lovely football and 15 points up is madness. If he wasn't so good, I'd drop him altogether, beacuse in a tight game in Croke Park, when the chips are down, a moment of madness like that will cost you an All Ireland. No one to blame only himself.

He acted like a child throwing a tantrum last night, and I really don't like seeing that from anyone representing Kerry. I cannot fathom what could have been said or done, that Tyrone wouldn't have done the week before, where he played the majority of the game on a yellow, without acting the díck. Obviously there is history between himself and John Hayes, but keep that off the field.

Happy enough with the Draw. Donegal, Cork, Dublin (more then likely) to win an All Ireland is an awful big task, but to be the best you have got to beat the best. If we win an All Ireland this year, we will be well worth it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Raging. So stupid of Galvin.

I know it was 2 Yellows, and he won't miss the next game, but how can a guy like Paul keep falling for the same auld shíte. Same guy who Paul got sent off against for the famous Slapping the Book incident, John Hayes. Galvin was clean and played his game, but all changed in 2 minutes of madness. Galvin was on the ground, and something was said or done, because he stood up, and hit John Hayes in the back with a sneaky dig. He then ran after Hayes and hit him a shoulder off the ball. Then he hammered into the Clare number 5 after he had handpassed the ball away, which he was later booked for. He kept chasing Hayes, and was clearly raging.
    Clare got a free, and Jakc had 2 subs waiting on the sideline. The referee came back and booked Galvin for the hit on number 5, and everyone called for him to be taken off there and then. Jack had plenty of time to make the sub but, instead stuck to his guns and took off Donnacha and Declan.

Clare put the ball over the bar, and from the next kickout, Hayes won the break. Galvin swung high for him and caught him no the chin with a forearm. The Clare crowd were so downtrodden by the 15 point deficit at the time, they barely shouted for him to be sent off. all you could hear was groans from the Kerry crowd, and the odd, "You fúcking eejit Galvin" been thown out from the crowd.

The first yellow was flashed quickly before the red was produced which eased some peoples fears, but Paul wasn't finished, rushing back into the crowd of players to have a go at another player. Some people clapped him off for his (up to that point) fine performance, but I couldn't bring myself to do it. This man has it tough no doubt, but acting the díck like he did last night, at a stage when Kerry were cruising, playing lovely football and 15 points up is madness. If he wasn't so good, I'd drop him altogether, beacuse in a tight game in Croke Park, when the chips are down, a moment of madness like that will cost you an All Ireland. No one to blame only himself.

He acted like a child throwing a tantrum last night, and I really don't like seeing that from anyone representing Kerry. I cannot fathom what could have been said or done, that Tyrone wouldn't have done the week before, where he played the majority of the game on a yellow, without acting the díck. Obviously there is history between himself and John Hayes, but keep that off the field.

Happy enough with the Draw. Donegal, Cork, Dublin (more then likely) to win an All Ireland is an awful big task, but to be the best you have got to beat the best. If we win an All Ireland this year, we will be well worth it.

We all know what Paul Galvin can do and he can drop you to 14 in a blink of an eyelid. However I blame Jack O'Connor and the bench for yesterday evenings debacle, Kerry were 15 points up and the very second Galvin got his 1st Yellow he should have been pulled ashore. Jack O'Connor is to blame for this. Kerry were always in control and it was a game where the bench should have been emptied after 5mins of the second half and let the subs have their slice of the action. We are very lucky it was a second yellow Galvin got and if something similar happens the next day against Donegal he must be pulled ashore unless Kerry are losing and it is late in the second half etc. where it is a case of throw the kitchen sink at them.

We must have our eye firmly on Cork and Dublin and avoid getting dragged into simple confrontations with useless teams like Clare who are more interested in stirring trouble than playing ball. Jack must reign in Galvin and if he is booked swap him out as he will be badly needed for a potential semi-final against Cork and a final should Kerry make it that far.

Galvin is only one man, the team winning is what's important and to hell with Galvin's ego and it is up to the Kerry bench to control him before a referee does.

• Advertisement

I'd disagree with the Clare stirring ****e comment. They played a very clean game, didn't foul us off the ball at all. It was just down to the personal shít between Galvin and Hayes.

Also while Jack should have pulled him, the blame lies with Galvin. No one makes you clock a guy around the head. Idiotic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement