Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

margio wrote: »
    Read the team during the week, and I'm no way surprised by the result. What I noticed (whether it has relevance) is the lack of players from big name clubs. Now I wouldn't be worried about our U21's up, but the minor team of the last two years , I would be fretting some what. Fair play to Tipp though.

well a saving grace for last years team, is that they lost to the best team in the country, by one point, after being 11 points up. it was a game they should never have lost, having been in that position. who knows, maybe they left an all ireland after them that night.

the one positive from tonight, is the team now should get to an all ireland q/f which makes a mockery of the draw, as the losers of tonight are now in a better position. Tipp will play cork in the semi. to get to the semi, against Clare, kerry must beat waterford next Tuesdsay and then play Limerick. in all fairness, if they cant win those 3 games now and get to the munster final, we are in a sad sad state in kerry football.

a munster final place is well achieveable and considering thats almost 3 months away, all is not lost just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

What was the final score of the Kerry Tipp Minor game? I wasnt able to get it online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

teednab-el wrote: »
    What was the final score of the Kerry Tipp Minor game? I wasnt able to get it online.

2-09 to 0-08

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

another great win fot the Tipp minor footballers,well done to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Tipp 2-09 Kerry 0-08

Tipp were good value for the win and highly impressive, particularly in the second half. They dominated the middle sector of the field throughout, and should have won by more, if truth be told. However all is not lost for this minor team, who are unlikely to play as poorly again. They are in a playoff against Waterford on Tuesday night and if they can get over that they will have a clear path to the munster final, where they will face either Cork or Tipp...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Minors absolutely hammered by Tipp. depressing times, i dont know much about the minor set up, but from people who do, the team that was picked was poor.

Tipp must be doing something impressive with their underage setup because this could be they're second strong team in succession at minor level.

Don't know much about our minor side this year tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

PaulieC wrote: »
    Tipp must be doing something impressive with their underage setup because this could be they're second strong team in succession at minor level.

Kerry were exceptionally poor on the night though... I have a hunch that Cork will beat them in the semi's, who will then face kerry in the final. You heard it here first!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ciaeim

was at game and must say tip were full value for the win ,, kerry management have a lot to answer to imo as the made some horific choices none worse than substituting midfielder after 12 minutes , at least give the team they chose time to get into game , taking o sullivan off after 12 min is just all wrong imo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

PaulieC wrote: »

17 panellists including ten players that featured in last year's AI final so it's the bones of the same panel.

Still super work by Tipp. I remember reading an article where Evans said their long term strategy had them scheduled to win a senior AI by 2020 or something like that.

That sort of ambitious planning is class, I really hope Evans wasn't key to driving it because it would be deadly to think of there being a third team in Munster capable of challanging in that sort of timeframe.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

buyer95 wrote: »
    Kerry were exceptionally poor on the night though... I have a hunch that Cork will beat them in the semi's, who will then face kerry in the final. You heard it here first!

I hope your hunch is right:D

Cork have some good players but I reckon Tip have the better team - a huge benefit of so many players knowing each other from last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Anybody fancy Mayo to beat Kerry today? I don't think they will but I think at some stage Mayo have to beat Kerry in Croke Park as losing to them is an all too regular occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

blackbelt wrote: »
    Anybody fancy Mayo to beat Kerry today? I don't think they will but I think at some stage Mayo have to beat Kerry in Croke Park as losing to them is an all too regular occurrence.

Started slow alright but getting into the game now, I think Kerry should win this one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,346 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Very enjoyable game of football.
    Donaghy made a right mess of a pass to galvin that allowed Mayo back into it with a pen. Galvin was very lucky not to be booked for that challenge having already given away 2 or 3 frees since he got booked first.
    Mayo by a point AET but a replay would have been a fairer result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 WST

Both teams looked fairly knackered at the end ... wonder would it be good for Kerry to have been playing Cork again in a knockout game this early in the season

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Very enjoyable game of football.
    Donaghy made a right mess of a pass to galvin that allowed Mayo back into it with a pen. Galvin was very lucky not to be booked for that challenge having already given away 2 or 3 frees since he got booked first.
    Mayo by a point AET but a replay would have been a fairer result.

Donaghy not the player he was for Kerry before. I honestly think Jack should drop him to the bench. I know people might be down me here for saying this but I think it would be good for him.

Saw him inside his own 21 on 4 or 5 occasions, strange positional play to be fair. Very dangerous at the edge of the oppositions box but seems to be less effective the further towards his own goal he goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Huge difference between the two games.

Kerry Mayo game was played at a lightning pace.
    Really intense, and some tough tackling.

Galvin lucky to be sent off, but Mayo slightly fortunate to get the "back pass" from Donaghy in the first place.

Kerry might have been marginally the better team overall, but Mayo showed brilliant bottle and fight to come through. Deserved the victory for that.

Quite disappointed, but I know its not the end of the world. As others have mentioned, a big game against Cork wouldn't suit us this early. You really don't want to lose a final to Cork, you don't want to peak too early either and damage your championship hopes.

Positives: Maher, Crowley, Donaghy (up until the pass), Enright, BJK (for the short time he was on)

Negatives: Gooch (was carried for the game, should have been off after 50mins tbh), Galvin (lost a lot of pace in 12 months), Sheahan (an exceptional free taker, who unfortunatly has a tendency to bottle big kicks), Darran, Brosnan (played like an injured man), The Sideline (from what I saw O'Mahoney wasn't injured... so why did he not come on instead of Buckley. We ended the game playing a backline of Enright, Marc, Lyne, D.Walsh, Brosnan, Galvin. They pissed through the half backs to get the winning Goal and Point.)

A good league campaign ends on a sour note. Hope for a better performance next time out.

Donaghy not the player he was for Kerry before. I honestly think Jack should drop him to the bench. I know people might be down me here for saying this but I think it would be good for him.
    ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Saw him inside his own 21 on 4 or 5 occasions, strange positional play to be fair. Very dangerous at the edge of the oppositions box but seems to be less effective the further towards his own goal he goes.

Disagree. One bad pass but played really well otherwise.

12 suits him down to the ground, he is working harder. Winning ball around the middle, and drifting into great positions up front.

The loss of Delcan O'Sullivan really hit Kerry today, and his strenght and pace could have been the difference between the sides when the chips were down.

Kerry were light and slow up front today and it ultimatly cost them a crack at the league final.

EDIT: I was along your lines of thinking after the Armagh game, where he showed no bottle, a lack of discipline, no work ethic and no effectiveness. But since moving to 12, he has worked harder, gotten fitter, kept his mouth shut, and is contributing greatly to Kerry's midfield. He also is an outlet for backs coming out, and is a great asset IMO.

DDC1990 wrote: »

12 suits him down to the ground, he is working harder. Winning ball around the middle, and drifting into great positions up front.

The loss of Delcan O'Sullivan really hit Kerry today, and his strenght and pace could have been the difference between the sides when the chips were down.

Kerry were light and slow up front today and it ultimatly cost them a crack at the league final.

EDIT: I was along your lines of thinking after the Armagh game, where he showed no bottle, a lack of discipline, no work ethic and no effectiveness. But since moving to 12, he has worked harder, gotten fitter, kept his mouth shut, and is contributing greatly to Kerry's midfield. He also is an outlet for backs coming out, and is a great asset IMO.

I noticed that aswell today - a huge improvement in that alone is worth a mention.

I find this bizarre. I'm a big fan of Donaghy but his performance today was beyond awful. Probably the worst I've ever seen him play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

keane2097 wrote: »
    I find this bizarre. I'm a big fan of Donaghy but his performance today was beyond awful. Probably the worst I've ever seen him play.

Disagree.

I think he played well apart from that idiotic pass. Had a number of great fetches.

The ref was abmysal today- utterly atrocious. A more whistle happy cod I've yet to see ref a game.

And that umpire missing the 45? I mean seriously, it was right in front of him. I was in the Cusack Premium and could see it clearly

Ah keane what are you on!

I know he's a Rockie and you're a Narrie, but leave that aside.

Were you at the game. A lot of what he did might have gone unnoticed off camera, but he was really one of our better players today.

I know he's a Rockie and you're a Narrie, but leave that aside.

Srsly?

Srsly?
    Nope :P Tongue in cheek bud, but Donaghy has been brilliant since switching to the wing.

Was one of our few bright spots today. Not sure why you can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

Donaghy was poor overall today IMHO.

However in saying that when he was in full forward he had some good moments especially in front of the hill. Playing at half forward where he also needs to funnel back and defend simply isn't natural for a man of his scoring potential. It's obvious that JOC doesn't know where to play him yet. It seems he has a free role. Mid field for throw ins, full forward for an attacking focus and also helping out in defence.

The game has changed where positions are no longer static but i feel his natural position is being the traditional full forward. BUT...he needs a certain type of ball to make him effective. That is the high hanging delivery that allows time to set himself up. Low balls, quick balls, 50-50 balls in front of him a defender - the majority of times he is going to lose these and that is his liability.

I agree with the comments that his attitude has changed and is no longer mouthing and he is working harder. He has much to offer but Jack has to figure out his right position and if that is in competition with Paddy Curtin for full forward then that is my preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Donaghy was poor today apart from the short spell at full forward when he seemed to be more comfortable. Don't know why people are trying to gloss over the fact that he isn't a midfielder or half forward. He isn't a good enough passer or carrier of the ball to play out the field, simple as. The sooner Jack realises this the better. He could be named at 15 and drift out the field for spells, but his best work has ALWAYS been done close to goal.

Donaghy was poor today apart from the short spell at full forward when he seemed to be more comfortable. Don't know why people are trying to gloss over the fact that he isn't a midfielder or half forward. He isn't a good enough passer or carrier of the ball to play out the field, simple as. The sooner Jack realises this the better. He could be named at 15 and drift out the field for spells, but his best work has ALWAYS been done close to goal.
    manster wrote: »
    Donaghy was poor overall today IMHO.

However in saying that when he was in full forward he had some good moments especially in front of the hill. Playing at half forward where he also needs to funnel back and defend simply isn't natural for a man of his scoring potential. It's obvious that JOC doesn't know where to play him yet. It seems he has a free role. Mid field for throw ins, full forward for an attacking focus and also helping out in defence.

The game has changed where positions are no longer static but i feel his natural position is being the traditional full forward. BUT...he needs a certain type of ball to make him effective. That is the high hanging delivery that allows time to set himself up. Low balls, quick balls, 50-50 balls in front of him a defender - the majority of times he is going to lose these and that is his liability.

I agree with the comments that his attitude has changed and is no longer mouthing and he is working harder. He has much to offer but Jack has to figure out his right position and if that is in competition with Paddy Curtin for full forward then that is my preference.

Fair enough. The fact that ye all are saying it along with the Cork lads, means he wasn't as good as I thought he was.

I have to watch the game back it seems.
    Im not a Donaghy fan-boy by any means, but I really thought he was one of our more influential players today.

Disappointed more then anything after the performance. It was as poor a performance by a Kerry FF line as I have seen in years. Curtin has really impressed me during the league and he won 2 great balls in the first half, but was really anonymous in the second. O'Leary was really really poor, and could do with a break maybe. He has regressed since last year. Gooch looked like shadow of himself and needs to shape up.

James O'Donaghue did great when he came on but really panicked in Extra Time. Didn't show a calm head at all.

BJK did himself some favours, getting two nice scores and putting himself around. Even threw his body onto a break, something I havn't seen him do before. :P

Anyone know why Jack didn't bring AOM back on, when Crowley/Young got injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Emmet Ryan

I'm not a Donaghy fan but I think his problems this year are more of circumstance than anything else. He has proved effective when in a dedicated role high up the field but he's not been a factor in defence, where O'Connor has tried to use him more to add some beef. The intent seems smart but the execution has been lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Disagree.

And that umpire missing the 45? I mean seriously, it was right in front of him. I was in the Cusack Premium and could see it clearly

I wasn't overly upset with the result because, as others said, might be better to avoid a big game with Cork for the time being.

That umpire was a disgrace though. Not only did he miss the 45 but he just stood there doing nothing for about a minute. He didn't signal a wide until the ref asked him what his decision was. Complete ineptitude and can you imagine if this was the closing mins of a very important championship match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

blackbelt wrote: »

Well I was right in terms of my belief that Mayo could beat Kerry but I thought with the Gooch and Donaghy factor that Kerry would pip them.Mayo are quite similar to Dublin last year.They are playing a high intensity game with the emphasis on workrate and tackling. 1-17 is a huge score to put up but Mayos forwards must be in great form to surpass that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement