Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

lala88 wrote: »
    He's been on the panel since 2008 and made little impact before his injury. He played well in the Dublin the game the others he was average at best. Every year since he first got on the panel was going to his breakthrough. Hes been given more chances then anyone and if he doesn't make an impact soon he should be forgot about and give others a look in
    Lol - he's been given every chance? Care to fire out a stat on how many times he's been played at midfield?

Last year in particular Moran had grown far stronger - he seemed far more equipped for a physical game than previous seasons - he was what? 1 year out of minor when he was brought into the Kerry Senior panel? Anybody who thought he was going to immediately break through into a starter then is a fool tbh

The guy's needed time to develop and looked like he had at the start of last season, what I'm saying is hopefully the injury won't impact him that much and he'll be back to where he was this time last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

This is the guy who was pontificating on the relative quality of Vinnie Murphy compared to contemporary forwards despite being barely out of nappies during his spell in Tralee.

One suspects he has some sort of unfortunate negative mindset towards the Kerins O'Rahillys club and its associates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

PaulieC wrote: »
    Lol - he's been given every chance? Care to fire out a stat on how many times he's been played at midfield?

Last year in particular Moran had grown far stronger - he seemed far more equipped for a physical game than previous seasons - he was what? 1 year out of minor when he was brought into the Kerry Senior panel? Anybody who thought he was going to immediately break through into a starter then is a fool tbh

The guy's needed time to develop and looked like he had at the start of last season, what I'm saying is hopefully the injury won't impact him that much and he'll be back to where he was this time last year.

He didn't make the panel after minor he did in 2008 2 years after he was a minor. Hes been given a fair few chances in the half forward line and made little shape. The only good game i seen him play with the Dublin game he was his useal self in the other games.

keane2097 wrote: »
    This is the guy who was pontificating on the relative quality of Vinnie Murphy compared to contemporary forwards despite being barely out of nappies during his spell in Tralee.

One suspects he has some sort of unfortunate negative mindset towards the Kerins O'Rahillys club and its associates.

I dont have a megative mindset to Stand Road, however Stand Road have a mind set that there players are better then everyone ealse and build them up to something there not

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Paul's from Spa.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Paul's from Spa.

I was replying that what you said clearly

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭margio

I dont have a megative mindset to Stand Road, however Stand Road have a mind set that there players are better then everyone ealse and build them up to something there not

What are you on about, your in La La land. Strand Road have no such mindset. Name one player that your talking about.David Moran is a great player, as to what his best position is, that remains to be seen. Now I do agree to what one poster mentioned earlier, that he may very well have had brilliant year last year. Now it is very hard to come back as good as ever from the injury he has. It's unfair to be hard on his performances. I mean the league can often mean nothing. look at the Callaghan lad from St Pat's who had some brillian league games for Kerry two Years ago. He was gone by Championship time. David played no better or worse than the rest of that Kerry team during the league. I have a problem with the way Tadgh Kennelly just walks on the Kerry team, don't think he's was anything to write home about when he played with Kerry. Give me Donnacha Walsh anyday. David is on the Kerry team through merit, nothing else.

margio wrote: »
    What are you on about, your in La La land. Strand Road have no such mindset. Name one player that your talking about.David Moran is a great player, as to what his best position is, that remains to be seen. Now I do agree to what one poster mentioned earlier, that he may very well have had brilliant year last year. Now it is very hard to come back as good as ever from the injury he has. It's unfair to be hard on his performances. I mean the league can often mean nothing. look at the Callaghan lad from St Pat's who had some brillian league games for Kerry two Years ago. He was gone by Championship time. David played no better or worse than the rest of that Kerry team during the league. I have a problem with the way Tadgh Kennelly just walks on the Kerry team, don't think he's was anything to write home about when he played with Kerry. Give me Donnacha Walsh anyday. David is on the Kerry team through merit, nothing else.

Well Declan Quill is probally the prime example. Great club and underage player and in the league not up to it in the championship yet Strand Road people would tell you he got a raw real. Barry John Walsh is another one not up to it yet build up to be something hes not

Well Declan Quill is probally the prime example. Great club and underage player and in the league not up to it in the championship yet Strand Road people would tell you he got a raw real. Barry John Walsh is another one not up to it yet build up to be something hes not

Declan Quill is certainly not a man that was over rated. The county failed him badly, as he was prob the best forward in the county. Rahilly's certainl never held a mindset towards him. Let's be honest and this is comimg from a neutral supporter, Declan Quill, definately at one stage was way more consistant than the gooch,, but think that perhaps a certain incident years ago finished his intercounty career before it even got started.

I know Barry John Walsh hasn't exactly made the cut, but to say that Rahilly's mindset is the reason he's there is absurd. But he was an immense player underage, showed away more than Tommy did, but I suppose 17 to 21 is a pivotal time in a young players life, there are so many external influences at that age, but who knows he might still make it.

• Advertisement

Declan Quill is certainly not a man that was over rated. The county failed him badly, as he was prob the best forward in the county. Rahilly's certainl never held a mindset towards him. Let's be honest and this is comimg from a neutral supporter, Declan Quill, definately at one stage was way more consistant than the gooch,, but think that perhaps a certain incident years ago finished his intercounty career before it even got started.

Im not saying he was overrated he was anything but. But he did get a few runs in the championship and didn't seem up to it or just didn't take the chance

I know Barry John Walsh hasn't exactly made the cut, but to say that Rahilly's mindset is the reason he's there is absurd. But he was an immense player underage, showed away more than Tommy did, but I suppose 17 to 21 is a pivotal time in a young players life, there are so many external influences at that age, but who knows he might still make it.

Again not what i mean who he is i.e. Sean Walshs son get him in ahead of alot of people even at underage i never rated him that highly. Even Tommy got by for along time because of who he was but proved he was up to it myself once he made the seinor panel

Im not saying he was overrated he was anything but. But he did get a few runs in the championship and didn't seem up to it or just didn't take the chance

Totally disagree, I was always impressed with him in the county jersey. remember when he came back in to the fold a few yeas ago, I thought he had an immense league campaign, and gooch was experiencing a barron spell. then he withrew cuz of him been bound to the bench. As for when he first broke through as a 17 or 18 year old, he was at that time at that tender age probably one of the best forwards in the county, if not the best. And at that time there were players like John Crowley Liam hassett. Maurice Fitz etc

Again not what i mean who he is i.e. Sean Walshs son get him in ahead of alot of people even at underage i never rated him that highly. Even Tommy got by for along time because of who he was but proved he was up to it myself once he made the seinor panel
    In fairness to Tommy he has an incredible phisique, so that always helps when player is tring to break through after minor level, but lets be honest, even before Tommy made it to the first 15 he made a savage impact from the bench. Sean Walsh did not get him where he was.

In fairness to Tommy he has an incredible phisique, so that always helps when player is tring to break through after minor level, but lets be honest, even before Tommy made it to the first 15 he made a savage impact from the bench. Sean Walsh did not get him where he was.

I remember seeing him when he was younger and he was very average at best but his name get him in and the more he played the better he got and he took his chance

I remember seeing him when he was younger and he was very average at best but his name get him in and the more he played the better he got and he took his chance

And Barry John showed away more tommy at underage level, but I Think ,now I maybe wrong, but Did Tommy have an extra year minor, and that year he totally made the jump from Average to great, and along with his physique the Kerry selectors had to bring him in to the panel. It's a pity he is gone to Oz, cuz in time he could have slotted in to a midfield role beautifully.

And Barry John showed away more tommy at underage level, but I Think ,now I maybe wrong, but Did Tommy have an extra year minor, and that year he totally made the jump from Average to great, and along with his physique the Kerry selectors had to bring him in to the panel. It's a pity he is gone to Oz, cuz in time he could have slotted in to a midfield role beautifully.

Yes he was on the panel in 2005 when he was still an average enough player but was great the next year when the minors got to the All Ireland final

A young player with his physique doesn't come aong too often

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

This thread has gone to the dogs, only Keane and a few others talking sense.

David O'Callaghan got injured which is why he was nowhere near the squad come c/ship time. David Moran had shown some good signs during the league last year but saying he was definitely going to start during the c/ship is looking through rose-tinted glasses. When he returns, he will get a chance to claim a midfield spot, which is his best position in my view.
    Tadgh Kennelly was a far superior footballer in every facet of the game than Donnacha Walsh even in his brief spell at home.

• Advertisement

Utter rubbish. Declan was/is a great club player, but not as good at winning primary possession as is required at county level. A pity as he was extremely accurate. When exactly was he more consistent than the Gooch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

BJW is still only 21,He will be a serious player for Kerry yet,He is incredibly strong,Took a bad injury last year,But a good campaign with KOR should put him back in Jack's thoughts..plenty of time for BJW.Remember him in the few Lge games..Defenders found him hard to handle....Was at the Mid-Kerry final last week..was very impressed with Pa Joy of Laune Rangers...Very quick..would be worth a look by Jack

David O'Callaghan got injured which is why he was nowhere near the squad come c/ship time. David Moran had shown some good signs during the league last year but saying he was definitely going to start during the c/ship is looking through rose-tinted glasses. When he returns, he will get a chance to claim a midfield spot, which is his best position in my view.
    Tadgh Kennelly was a far superior footballer in every facet of the game than Donnacha Walsh even in his brief spell at home.

A North Kerry opinion no doubt. Somebody who doesn't appreciate the brilliance of Donnacha Walsh hasn't a clue. He is the most underrated player that ever put on the Kerry jersey. Kennelly's all star was a joke, to think that Seamus Moynihan has only 3 after years of wearing the green and gold. Loads of players should have made the first 15 before Kennelly.

Utter rubbish. Declan was/is a great club player, but not as good at winning primary possession as is required at county level. A pity as he was extremely accurate. When exactly was he more consistent than the Gooch?

, Quill was great for the county, never saw him play a bad game. Gooch has had plenty. Sporadic and incredible moments of magic seems to make everyone forget how quiet he often is,

Daithi Casey must surely get a run, but with Crokes involvement in the club championship series that might be hard.

Oh ffs. This kind of sh*t is what ruins boards like this. "Donnacha Walsh is the most under-rated player ever." :rolleyes:

Oh ffs. This kind of sh*t is what ruins boards like this. "Donnacha Walsh is the most under-rated player ever." :rolleyes:

yeah he is, and Tadgh Kennelly is way way over rated

yeah he is, and Tadgh Kennelly is way way over rated

Tadgh Kennelly hasn't played with Kerry in 2 years so no idea why you keep referring to him. In his one year playing with the Kerry seniors, he went from having very rusty skill levels, to being outstanding in the AI semi final v Meath (man of the match in fact) and outstanding in the final where he totally nullified Graham Canty and scored 2 good points himself.

Tell me one game in Croke park Donnacha Walsh has performed well in?

Tadgh Kennelly hasn't played with Kerry in 2 years so no idea why you keep referring to him. In his one year playing with the Kerry seniors, he went from having very rusty skill levels, to being outstanding in the AI semi final v Meath (man of the match in fact) and outstanding in the final where he totally nullified Graham Canty and scored 2 good points himself.

Tell me one game in Croke park Donnacha Walsh has performed well in?

And Nicholas Murphy?. Donnacha Walsh always performs, but he's always the one sacrificied, no matter if he's playing way better that all the other 5 forwards, Just don't like the way he just walked on the Kerry team.

• Advertisement

And Nicholas Murphy?. Donnacha Walsh always performs, but he's always the one sacrificied, no matter if he's playing way better that all the other 5 forwards, Just don't like the way he just walked on the Kerry team.

Always performs eh? Did you watch the All Ireland final last September?!! Like I said, name one big game in Croke park he has "performed" even above average in? You can't, because no such game exists, now please desist with this silly line of debate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement