Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭margio

he's too incosistent, there is no in between with him. he's either total sh**te or he's good. It's about time Padraig Reidy was brought reblended in to the first 15. Jack O'Connor has his favourites, there's no doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

margio wrote: »
    he's too incosistent, there is no in between with him. he's either total sh**te or he's good. It's about time Padraig Reidy was brought reblended in to the first 15. Jack O'Connor has his favourites, there's no doubt about that.

It's not inconsistency in so far as he improves as the year goes on. There's a very prescient saying I've heard coming from some very well respected Kerry football people which essentially amounts to "The closer Kerry get to Croke Park the closer Tom Sullivan gets to his man".

As far as Padraig Reidy is concerned he hasn't been good enough at senior level. I remember a few years ago seeing him destroyed by no better a footballer than Monaghan's Ciaran Hanratty and I realised it was time to stop defending him, he simply hasn't brought his underage promise through to senior level the way Killian Young has.

The fact that he's been passed out in the running by the likes of Shane Enright, Bohane and even Aidan O'Mahony says plenty, as does the fact that the selectors felt more confident moving Killian Young back into the fullback line and taking Eoin Brosnan out of retirement than they did playing Reidy at corner back.

keane2097 wrote: »
    It's not inconsistency in so far as he improves as the year goes on. There's a very prescient saying I've heard coming from some very well respected Kerry football people which essentially amounts to "The closer Kerry get to Croke Park the closer Tom Sullivan gets to his man".

As far as Padraig Reidy is concerned he hasn't been good enough at senior level. I remember a few years ago seeing him destroyed by no better a footballer than Monaghan's Ciaran Hanratty and I realised it was time to stop defending him, he simply hasn't brought his underage promise through to senior level the way Killian Young has.

The fact that he's been passed out in the running by the likes of Shane Enright, Bohane and even Aidan O'Mahony says plenty, as does the fact that the selectors felt more confident moving Killian Young back into the fullback line and taking Eoin Brosnan out of retirement than they did playing Reidy at corner back.

That's exactly what I mean. If Jack O'Connor don't like you, that's your tough. Pat O'Shea brought out the best in players. Jack O'Connor brings out the worst.

Any many a time Tom O'Sullivan got destroyed, as did even Killian Young(who I think is brilliant). some great players coming through still, even if Kerry haven't won a minor title in years.

That's exactly what I mean. If Jack O'Connor don't like you, that's your tough. Pat O'Shea brought out the best in players. Jack O'Connor brings out the worst.

I'm no fan of Jack but that's a fairly ridiculous statement to be honest. Some players flourish under certain managers and vice versa, it's down to the players to get their heads down and get on with it.

You're not exactly talking about a future Hall of Famer in Reidy, so if he can't step up to the mark then I'm afraid I'd be saying tough tbh, I'd rather lose him than lose a manager who has been as successful as Jack for all his flaws.

• Advertisement

I'm no fan of Jack but that's a fairly ridiculous statement to be honest. Some players flourish under certain managers and vice versa, it's down to the players to get their heads down and get on with it.

You're not exactly talking about a future Hall of Famer in Reidy, so if he can't step up to the mark then I'm afraid I'd be saying tough tbh, I'd rather lose him than lose a manager who has been as successful as Jack for all his flaws.
    He can rate himself successful until he beats a great Tyrone team in an all ireland. He couldn't even get us over the line against Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Tom Sullivan is possibly the greatest man marker to ever play the game,And i will not stand for anyone slating him..In my eyes he is up there with Dara & Seamus

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Tom Sullivan is possibly the greatest man marker to ever play the game,And i will not stand for anyone slating him..In my eyes he is up there with Dara & Seamus

Hardly. mike mc yes but not tom sull

Prop Joe wrote: »

Agreed.

Hardly. mike mc yes but not tom sull

Did Tom Sullivan give you an ASBO or something?

• Advertisement

no, he's stuck out somewhere in North Kerry isn't he, never met him in uniform. Just don't think he's that great though. I'm not saying Padraig Reidy is brilloant either, but he still has alOt to offer, as does Enright, Bohane, Crowley etc

Bohane is a guy that badly needs to get some game time in the NFL. He has fierce physical attributes but is still really raw at Intercounty level.

A decent spell of fitness and a few games on the trot could really see him kick on. Fingers crossed for him.

Enright should nail down a place this season as well if he continues his form from last year's championship before he got injured, looks a really good player. I don't know a whole lot about Crowley other than that he's supposed to be very talented as well.

There's certainly room for some young backs to stake a claim.

Bohane is a guy that badly needs to get some game time in the NFL. He has fierce physical attributes but is still really raw at Intercounty level.

A decent spell of fitness and a few games on the trot could really see him kick on. Fingers crossed for him.

Enright should nail down a place this season as well if he continues his form from last year's championship before he got injured, looks a really good player. I don't know a whole lot about Crowley other than that he's supposed to be very talented as well.

There's certainly room for some young backs to stake a claim.
    Crowley did a great job on gooch when UCC met Crokes, yeah like you said they are all fairly raw at intercounty level

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭lala88

PaulieC wrote: »
    Two chunks of good news there alright.

Especially Moran who was in the form of his life last season before he sustained that injury - hopefully he'll pick up where he left off.

Moran still has alot to prove i think. He was good against Dublin in the league but was by no means in the form of his life. The injury was a set back yes but still has alot of prove

Any many a time Tom O'Sullivan got destroyed, as did even Killian Young(who I think is brilliant). some great players coming through still, even if Kerry haven't won a minor title in years.

What games do you be watching? Tom Sullivan has played almost 70 Championship games so he must be doing something right

lala88 wrote: »
    What games do you be watching? Tom Sullivan has played almost 70 Championship games so he must be doing something right

yeah but he shouldn't have that many behind him, some players on that team are immune from been dropped. Jack has his pets. Be honest, many a time especially in the last few years, the boy has been destroyed

yeah but he shouldn't have that many behind him, some players on that team are immune from been dropped. Jack has his pets. Be honest, many a time especially in the last few years, the boy has been destroyed

Game a few examples of when he was? Dont remember it happening too many times

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Examples?

Game a few examples of when he was? Dont remember it happening too many times

All through 2010, ok he got man of match in Kerry's supportes eyes in 2009, not sure about official man of match though, but the lead up games earlier on he was crap. That's why it was graet to see him get it at his age, when people were asking questions.Remember i think it was 2009, when Kerry played Cork in the all ireland semi final, and Cork came back from something like a 10 pt deficit, he had alot to do with that. ok he had a good enough year last year, but she shouldn't be an automatic starter, unless he's better than the guys on the bench. Justvheard last week on Radio Kerry that He got a bit of a roasting from a Currow guy in an east kerry game

plus he is very weak under the high ball, but unfortunately most of them are

• Advertisement

A defender who consistantly fouls in not a great defender

All through 2010, ok he got man of match in Kerry's supportes eyes in 2009, not sure about official man of match though, but the lead up games earlier on he was crap. That's why it was graet to see him get it at his age, when people were asking questions.Remember i think it was 2009, when Kerry played Cork in the all ireland semi final, and Cork came back from something like a 10 pt deficit, he had alot to do with that. ok he had a good enough year last year, but she shouldn't be an automatic starter, unless he's better than the guys on the bench. Justvheard last week on Radio Kerry that He got a bit of a roasting from a Currow guy in an east kerry game

Any specific examples?

read the post, i gave specific examples. the day of the 10 point deficit he and diarmuid murphy caused Masters goal. looking in the news papers now, yes he got a roasting in last weeks club game alrite. The guy who gave it to him is no intercounty star

read the post, i gave specific examples. the day of the 10 point deficit he and diarmuid murphy caused Masters goal. looking in the news papers now, yes he got a roasting in last weeks club game alrite. The guy who gave it to him is no intercounty star

Two examples in a career spanning 70-odd intercounty games and countless club games?

Well done.

The fact remains that he is a highly regarded defender with two All-Stars.

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Two examples in a career spanning 70-odd intercounty games and countless club games?

Well done.

The fact remains that he is a highly regarded defender with two All-Stars.

Yeah and he has done the county great service, but if he was neck and neck with lets say for example Shane Enright, then that 70 odd record should mean nothing.

I'm sorry, I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree, I prefer a man that can get the job done without fouling. Good Free takers can win games. plus he's very susceptible to fatal errors. He had a good all ireland final but he made a vital handpass error that led to Dublin's victory in the last few minutes

He got the official Man of the Match in 09. Its some going that Kerry & Cork played each other in the 09 semi final and final

He got the official Man of the Match in 09. Its some going that Kerry & Cork played each other in the 09 semi final and final
    oh yeah sorry, checked there, It was 2008 it the Cork kerry epic, the years are flying

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Moran still has alot to prove i think. He was good against Dublin in the league but was by no means in the form of his life. The injury was a set back yes but still has alot of prove
    With all due respect - no shít - the guys still to make the breakthrough at county level - but I haven't seen Dave Moran play better football than he was playing at the start of last season, was full sure it was going to be his breakthrough year.

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    With all due respect - no shít - the guys still to make the breakthrough at county level - but I haven't seen Dave Moran play better football than he was playing at the start of last season, was full sure it was going to be his breakthrough year.

He's been on the panel since 2008 and made little impact before his injury. He played well in the Dublin the game the others he was average at best. Every year since he first got on the panel was going to his breakthrough. Hes been given more chances then anyone and if he doesn't make an impact soon he should be forgot about and give others a look in

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement