Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Bhí Daithi Geaney ag múineadh i mo scoil an bhlian seo chaite agus an bhlian roimhe sin. Is fear den céad scoth é agus peileadóir sár-mhaith ón méid atá feicthe agam de. Sílim go bhfaigheadh sé a áit ag tosnú ar foireann aon contae eile ach i láthair na huaire tá na tosaithe atá ag Ciarraí ar fheabhas, b'fhéidir comh maith le na tosaithe a bhí acu le blianta anuas agus is fíor moladh é sin dóibh!

A few people were talking about the minors and how it was a shock, and I know losing to Tipperary isn't something Kerry are used to but that is a very good Tipp minor team and it could be there first minor win in Munster in however long it's been. They'll put it up to Cork at the very least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Bhí Daithi Geaney ag múineadh i mo scoil an bhlian seo chaite agus an bhlian roimhe sin. Is fear den céad scoth é agus peileadóir sár-maith ón méid atá feicthe agam dó. Sílim go bhfaigheadh sé a áit ag tosnú ar foireann aon contae eile ach i láthair na huaire tá na tosaithe atá ag Ciarraí ar fheabhas, b'fhéidir comh maith le na tosaithe a bhí acu le blianta anuas agus is fíor moladh é sin dóibh!

A few people were talking about the minors and how it was a shock, and I know losing to Tipperary isn't something Kerry are used to but that is a very good Tipp minor team and it could be there first minor win in Munster in however long it's been. They'll put it up to Cork at the very least.

N'fheadar an bhfaigheadh sé áit i bhfoireann Chorcaí.

Tipp will of course put it up to Cork - but it is quite a good Cork team and I would expect them to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

It's hard to know what to make of that performance this evening. Limerick didn't seem to turn up at all and the result was never in doubt and still we leaked three goals against them. :eek:
    Cork are not going to be too troubled at the prospect of breaking down our defence.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

DeepBlue wrote: »
    It's hard to know what to make of that performance this evening. Limerick didn't seem to turn up at all and the result was never in doubt and still we leaked three goals against them. :eek:
    Cork are not going to be too troubled at the prospect of breaking down our defence.

Hopefully this will see Tomas MactSaor installed as Goalkeeper and get rid of that useless Brendan Kealy for once, he has to be the worst goalkeeper for Kerry in our History.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Stinicker wrote: »
    Hopefully this will see Tomas MactSaor installed as Goalkeeper and get rid of that useless Brendan Kealy for once, he has to be the worst goalkeeper for Kerry in our History.

I said this to a few friends tonight that Mac an Tsaor should get a run between the sticks for us - but to be fair claiming that Kealy is the worst goalkeeper in our history is ridiculous tbf

He's a good goalkeeper because I've seen him and played against him from a young age. He didn't exactly make any huge blunders - the defence was appalling for two of the goals tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭margio

ah no seriously he is probably the worst goal keeper in our history. I WAS Calling for him to be on the kerry team aswell from watching him play for Kilcummin, but let's be deadly honest he has been dreadful, and I'm not talking about the goals tonight. if an intercounty goalkeeper is crap under high ball then he has no business been there atall. I mean you can hardly compare him to the likes of Diarmuid Murphy, Declan O'Keeffe, Peter O'Brien, Peter O'Leary or Charlie Nelligan. It's not like there is no one to replace him, I can't understand it. Don't get me started on his kickouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

Brendan Kealy must be kept in the starting 15 as the Kerry goalie!

ShamoBuc wrote: »

Tipp will of course put it up to Cork - but it is quite a good Cork team and I would expect them to win.

Ya never know!:D

To be fair, Tipp won under 15, 16 and u17 munster titles last year, as well as an u21. These guys don't fear Cork and Kerry and are talented footballers. It's a hard game to call in my view. I'd go and watch those finals except for Killarney would be an awful trek. But I suppose if we beat Cork today...:rolleyes:

margio wrote: »
    I mean you can hardly compare him to the likes of Diarmuid Murphy, Declan O'Keeffe, Peter O'Brien, Peter O'Leary or Charlie Nelligan. It's not like there is no one to replace him, I can't understand it. Don't get me started on his kickouts.

You're dead right - just because he's not as good as Diarmuid Murphy, Charlie Nelligan etc. let's call him the worst in our history!

IIRC Peter O'Leary had some shockers for us between the posts, Declan O'Keefe was prone to the odd mistake aswell - Diarmuid Murphy was the best 'keeper we've had in a long time imho and Kealy was always going to have big shoes to fill but he's not the worst keeper we've had.

Barring Mac an Tsaoir who would ye bring in that you honestly think would do a better job?

Apart from mc an tsaoir I Would try and get Ger Reidy from Desmonds back in, not sure whether he is available for selection, i see Danny Nelligan lined out for them last week, so maybe he is abroad or something. Heard good things about Brian Kelly from Legion, and Hennessy from Rahily's, but not really familiar myself with him. Don't get me wrong Kealy is a great shot stopper and I was calling for him to be on the Kerry team long before he got on, but he is too weak under the high ball and kickouts are not up to scratch for an intercounty player. In other words he is not the complete package, and I agree Diarmuid Murphy wasn't the greatest either.

• Advertisement

Apart from mc an tsaoir I Would try and get Ger Reidy from Desmonds back in, not sure whether he is available for selection, i see Danny Nelligan lined out for them last week, so maybe he is abroad or something. Heard good things about Brian Kelly from Legion, and Hennessy from Rahily's, but not really familiar myself with him. Don't get me wrong Kealy is a great shot stopper and I was calling for him to be on the Kerry team long before he got on, but he is too weak under the high ball and kickouts are not up to scratch for an intercounty player. In other words he is not the complete package, and I agree Diarmuid Murphy wasn't the greatest either.

I didn't rate Reidy much from what I saw of him to be honest and Kelly, while it'd be nice to see a young fella coming through - isn't very strong under the high ball.

Thinking about it - they surely must be working on Kealy under the high ball at training and also - alot of club teams don't work on Kickouts and it boggles my brain - are Kerry doing this? I haven't had a chance to go see them train this year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

To be honest it not the Kickouts that bother me about Kealy, its this getting caught in possession craic. He does it every game, almost cost us a goal against Limerick. Also despite being the best shot stopper we have, he was found wanting against Limerick. Nothing he could do about the second goal, but shhowed the near post to the Limerick forward for the first one and got beaten, and went to ground too quickly for the 3rd goal, where it was really just blasted at him. Im a fan of Mac an tSaoir, but can we really risk throwing him into the deep end against Cork, in Killarney on Munster Final day.

Anyway, positives from Limerick were the 1-26 we put on the board, 12 individual point scorers, loads of Goal chances created. Forward moving really well and Midfield were on top against a non-existant Limerick team. On a side note, anyone know how Eoin Joy is getting on. Looked to have pulled his hamstring soon after coming on the last night. Felt awful sorry for the lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Kealy is as talented a goalkeeper as there is anywhere out there. You have to stick with guys like this and give them the time the need to come good.

That was how it was with Diarmuid Murphy and it's how it will be with anyone we get to replace him.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Kealy is as talented a goalkeeper as there is anywhere out there. You have to stick with guys like this and give them the time the need to come good.

That was how it was with Diarmuid Murphy and it's how it will be with anyone we get to replace him.

True but you'd have to wonder about him getting caught in posession - it's happened him a good few times now - the first time was when he was minor and it basically cost them a place in the final.

I've no problem with a player making mistakes but he has to learn from them at the same time.

Slightly OT but on while we're talking about 'keepers Brendan Murphy for Meath was superb yesterday

the management shouldn't have to work on a goal keeper,ability under the high ball is something that he either has or hasn't. he'd prob make a great soccer keeper. Working on him for too long could cost Kerry

the management shouldn't have to work on a goal keeper,ability under the high ball is something that he either has or hasn't. he'd prob make a great soccer keeper. Working on him for too long could cost Kerry

I'm sorry but that's a bit ridiculous tbf - all players have strengths and weaknesses just because they play for their county doesn't make them invincible - all players in all areas of the field have weaknesses that need to be addressed.

Maybe Kealy is comfortable under the high ball at club level but is coming up against bigger stronger county players and he needs to improve that aspect of his game....at the same time I'm not trying to make excuses for him but there isn't one player on the Kerry panel who doesn't have an aspect of their game which needs work

it's only one position in the team, there are six forward positions, six back position and two midfield, but only one keeper, now that keeper should be top class and yes management should be working with him, but only in a capacity that would involve game plans such as kicking the ball out to be aimed at a certain person. he's not going to get better on the high ball, it's not his fault only he is too small.

it's only one position in the team, there are six forward positions, six back position and two midfield, but only one keeper, now that keeper should be top class and yes management should be working with him, but only in a capacity that would involve game plans such as kicking the ball out to be aimed at a certain person. he's not going to get better on the high ball, it's not his fault only he is too small.

If that's the case then why would professional football teams such as Liverpool, Man United etc. hire goalkeeping coaches? A player will always need to develop aspects of his game - you can improve on anything with enough practice.

An example would be our minor goalkeeper - very good shotstopper, but not great with the high ball and kickouts were pathetic - he worked on the kickouts in his own time and management worked on his fielding....he had a massive year for us.

Now that isn't at county level but the same principle applies imo - if you have somebody who is excellent at the central focus of their position but not very good at other aspects then these need to be worked on - how else will they develop??

coincidently another Kilcummin man, alot of them on the minor team (too much) this year and perhaps their downfall

Look Kealy cost us a goal at a vital stage against Cork last year.

If he does it again, we mightn't be so lucky. I think we afford a More Reliable, More assured player, with a better kickout (Mac an tSaoir) and sacrifice Kealy's better sht stopping ability.

• Advertisement

sorry there paulie i misread your message about the minor keeper but on the last subject of shot stopping, i have seen Kealey pulling off spectacular saves for Kilcummin but come to think of it I haven't seen a whole pile of class saves while wearing the county jersey

sorry there paulie i misread your message about the minor keeper but on the last subject of shot stopping, i have seen Kealey pulling off spectacular saves for Kilcummin but come to think of it I haven't seen a whole pile of class saves while wearing the county jersey

He made a very good one against Cork when one on one in Killarney IIRC....am I wrong in thinking he made a good save against Dublin the previous season too?

There's no doubting that he's a good goalkeeper and I'm all for trying out Mac an Tsaoir - in the league next year would be best imo

Maybe then we can properly compare the two as Mac an Tsaoir is an unknown quantity at senior county level

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I think we afford a More Reliable, More assured player, with a better kickout (Mac an tSaoir) and sacrifice Kealy's better sht stopping ability.

How do we know that Mac an tSoair is more assured and reliable at this level though? - That said there's only one way to find out but as somebody mentioned earlier - firing him in to a Munster final against Cork mightn't be the answer - he really should've been tried out more during the league.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

He will start against Cork and I reckon he will be a busy boy - if he does well I would imagine he'll be there for years.

I reckon he will be a busy boy

Not atall - sure ye only put 5 past Waterford and we only conceded 3 against a ferocious Limerick attack :pac:

PaulieC wrote: »
    Not atall - sure ye only put 5 past Waterford and we only conceded 3 against a ferocious Limerick attack :pac:

My money is on a nil all draw;)

Seriously though, I think it could be a fairly high scoring game with bags of goals!

Cad é sin a bhuachaill? :D

Sorry for bringing this up Shamo, but I did warn ya!

Kealy did v.well when the pressure was on. He played cleverly, but one criticism was that he didnt change the kickouts in the second half, when the tide had turned. We needed more short balls out, and to keep hold of possession.

Cad é sin a bhuachaill? :D

Sorry for bringing this up Shamo, but I did warn ya!

That you did, the back door it is then - blessing in disguise really;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Kealy did v.well when the pressure was on. He played cleverly, but one criticism was that he didnt change the kickouts in the second half, when the tide had turned. We needed more short balls out, and to keep hold of possession.

Bit harsh on Kealy apportioning too much of the blame for our middle sector being completely cleaned out, I'm not sure he had too many options for short kickouts either - somebody needs to make a run like obviously.

I need to watch the game back on RTE player to confirm, but it looks like Corks tactic during the second half was to line about five of their most athletic players up pretty much straight across the pitch just ahead of where your midfield would usually be found.

We didn't react to/cope with this at all, and Cork ended up dominating territory even moreso than possession in the second half.

This is a tactic I've seen them use before (including against us) and it's really something the management need to devise a strategy for counteracting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement