Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    While I wasn't surprised Cork won to be honest, a 22 point loss must be a blow to Kerry. Are we really THAT good, or was there little preperation this year in Kerry? I must admit to be over the moon with the result, 2-24 V 0-08 but how good did ye think the u-21's were? I am finding it hard to understand how Kerry were so poor. The conditions were good, I don't think ye had someone sent off so I am honestly surprised at the gap between the two teams.
    Any clues?

Our U-21 has been ravaged by Emigration however this is still unacceptable at any level for a Kerry team to be beaten like this, alot of U-21's have been on the springboard for the Senior panel this year so that would also explain it. Kennedy must go and go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Average team, badly managed. Simples.

The u21 Championship in Kerry isn't strong enough for us to compete regularly either, more of the bigger club teams need to take it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

As Keane2097 said - average team. There are some very good individuals on it like John Lyne, BJ Keane, Paul Geaney but there's some serious weak links there too.

I'd have to question the way the team lined out also - Peter Crowley is a brilliant wing back yet he was put in the corner while Jack Sherwood, a very exciting forward, took his place on the wing - nonsensical tbh.

Also - Dathaí Casey was corner forward - now I wasn't at the game but I can only hope he was pulled out around the middle of the field to leave a two man full forward line as otherwise that's idiotic by Kennedy.

He's a natural grafter and ball winner - he should've been in a central position.

Again to agree with Keane - the U21 setup in Kerry is a farce - any minor worth his salt coming through will be playing senior for their club and regard the U21 in the same light as junior football - an inconvenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,069 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

keane2097 wrote: »

The u21 Championship in Kerry isn't strong enough for us to compete regularly either, more of the bigger club teams need to take it seriously.

Has it always been that way?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

well at least the good thing now is that we should see the end of kennedy. he has a problem picking certain players who would have walked on the team if he was not in charge. my own club has a player, playing sigerson with inter county senior players alongside him and well able to hold his own, yet didnt get a sniff at minor or u21 level while kennedy was involved.

shambolic result last night and indeed last year.

• Advertisement

well at least the good thing now is that we should see the end of kennedy. he has a problem picking certain players who would have walked on the team if he was not in charge. my own club has a player, playing sigerson with inter county senior players alongside him and well able to hold his own, yet didnt get a sniff at minor or u21 level while kennedy was involved.

That's the case in almost every county tbf - alot of players could feel aggrieved for not making the minors or u21, what I always find interesting is the number of players on the panel who have a selector from the same club.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭coolclogher

Who else could the manager and selectors have picked last night that would have materially changed the result of the game ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭lukin

I was at the game and I wouldn't read too much into it; Kerry just didn't turn up. We were hammered by Kerry ourselves two years ago (not by as much as last night admittedly) and people were sounding the death knell for under-age football for Cork.
    Now they are doing the same for Kerry on the basis of one result. I would never write off Kerry, they will always produce a certain amount of good footballers every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Guys we were beaten by Waterford a few years ago... Im pretty sure its not the end of Kerry football or anything! We won a hape of All Irelands since then.

21's setup is a joke. Not sure Kennedy is up to it at any level. Was poor with the Minors and now Poor with 21's.

Can't put it all on the main man though. Players have to show up, and It sounds like they didn't.

Has it always been that way?

Just saw this now, the answer is yes.

U-21 isn't taken anywhere near as seriously as minor in my experience.

It could really do with changing tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Shocking result for Kerry's minors to finish off an awful year for Kerry underage football.

Tipp minors won 2-12 to 3-8 and at one stage, they were trailing by 11 points.

Is it really that bad down there at underage or just a freak year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

dcr22B wrote: »
    Shocking result for Kerry's minors to finish off an awful year for Kerry underage football.

Tipp minors won 2-12 to 3-8 and at one stage, they were trailing by 11 points.

Is it really that bad down there at underage or just a freak year?

Shock defeat tbh!..

No one saw that coming!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I am surprised with that. The minors have usually been of a high standard. Coupled with the u-21 hammering to cork earlier in the season it is certainly going to have people looking for a bit of a shake up at underage level. Or maybe the Tip lads are seriously good!!

Normally every year you'd hear talk about Kerry minors coming through and breaking onto their senior teams for the County League - haven't had that this year really imo

In the county league??

I assume you mean the National League??

Johnaton Lyne got a few games in the league!

Brian McGuire and Shane Enright made a huge impact..

Ive never really heard of anyone making the move from Minor to Senior Kerry teams in a matter of months...

The U21s are stepping up...

Barry John Keane, Lyne, McGuire, Enright, BJ Walsh (off to the US for the summer), Casey and Buckley all on the squad and i'm pretty sure there's more!...

The minors were a shock tbh but the u21 wasn't to me anyways...

Just need to have a look at underage setup id say!!

Doubt its a lack of talent!!...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Glenviewjf wrote: »

I agree, I very much doubt if football has dried up in kerry!

wishful thinking

Glenviewjf wrote: »
    In the county league??

I assume you mean the National League??

Johnaton Lyne got a few games in the league!

Brian McGuire and Shane Enright made a huge impact..

Ive never really heard of anyone making the move from Minor to Senior Kerry teams in a matter of months...

The U21s are stepping up...

Barry John Keane, Lyne, McGuire, Enright, BJ Walsh (off to the US for the summer), Casey and Buckley all on the squad and i'm pretty sure there's more!...

The minors were a shock tbh but the u21 wasn't to me anyways...

Just need to have a look at underage setup id say!!

No that's not the point I was making at all

What I meant was - in previous years - alot of minor players have been playing for their clubs in the Senior County League - when the likes of Shane Enright, Paul O'Connor, Kieran O'Leary etc. were on the Kerry minor panel they were starting for their clubs at senior level and there was a buzz about them - look of for this player or that player he's in with the minors.

We haven't had that this year imo - I haven't heard much about the minors this year in comparison with previous years from a club level POV

PaulieC wrote: »
    No that's not the point I was making at all

What I meant was - in previous years - alot of minor players have been playing for their clubs in the Senior County League - when the likes of Shane Enright, Paul O'Connor, Kieran O'Leary etc. were on the Kerry minor panel they were starting for their clubs at senior level and there was a buzz about them - look of for this player or that player he's in with the minors.

We haven't had that this year imo - I haven't heard much about the minors this year in comparison with previous years from a club level POV

I get your point now m8 my bad!

Ya i know very little have played in the county champ unlike previous years...

No rave reviews..

No doubt the talent is there..

Looking forward to the juniors Sunday..

Hoping they nurture the talent of past minor teams instead of playing have beens and could have beens!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭margio

I think but not really sure that the kenneally brothers Noel and Tadgh made a very fast step up to senior level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭gerocks

Listened to the match on RK. a good win but tomas' red card was a low point.

• Advertisement

gerocks wrote: »
    Listened to the match on RK. a good win but tomas' red card was a low point.

Just watched the highlights and the camera didn't really show alot but he is a player who will be missed in any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭manster

The Kerry team to play Limerick on Saturday at 6.45pm in The Gaelic Grounds Limerick is as follows:
    1. Brendan Kealy, (Kilcummin) 2.Shane Enright (Tarbert) 3 Marc Ó Sé (An Ghaeltacht) . 4 Tom O'Sullivan (Rathmore) 5. Aidan O'Mahony (Rathmore) 6. Eoin Brosnan (Dr. Crokes) 7. Killian Young (Renard)
    8. Anthony Maher (Duagh) 9.Bryan Sheehan (St. Mary's )
    10. Darran O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) 11. Declan O'Sullivan (Glenbeigh/Glencar) 12. Donnchadh Walsh (Cromane), 13. Colm Cooper (Dr. Crokes) Captain 14 Kieran Donaghy(Austin Stacks) 15.Kieran O'Leary (Dr. Crokes)

Subs: Tomás Mac a t'Saoir (An Ghaeltacht) Paul Galvin (Finuge) Daniel Bohan (Austin Stacks) Barry John Keane (Kerins O'Rahilly's) Michéal Quirke (Kerins O'Rahilly's) Padraig Reidy (Scartaglin) David Geaney (Daingean Uí Chúis) Adrian O'Connell (St Michaels Foilmore) Niall O'Mahony (Spa) Johnny Buckley (Dr. Crokes) Brian Maguire (Listowel Emmetts) Peter Crowley Laune Rangers and Daithí Casey (Dr. Crokes)

Seamus Scanlon is unavailable for selection as he is undergoing a minor medical procedure.

My view

Middle of the field: Microscope will here the next day after failing completely against Tipp. Don't know how big a loss Scanlon is as he is not the same player that won an all-star a few years ago. Time for Maher to nail down his spot as the next 'fear laidir'

Backs: Nice to see Enright starting after a solid league campaign. More fresh blood is needed though.

Forwards: Pick themselves on league performance - Geaney deserves another chance but O'Leary & Cooper link up very well

Sub: Expect Quirke / Galvin to come on if things are getting tight at the end. Hope Buckley & Geaney gets a run too

In all afairness no midfielder is going to succeed when Brendan Kealy is in goals, his kick out are desperate, an U14 keeper would do better, and I Believe even Scanlon and Maher etc are suffering. Was at the Tipp game and to be fair hardly any kickouts went out to Scanlon. they all went out to either Sheehan's direction, or more often than not Kealy's kickouts barely made the half back line, so we'll never know if Scanlon is at top form cuz he never got a chance to show it against Tipp. two balls went his way before he left with the blood injury. the first he rose high above everyone else and did catch clean but unluckily stumbled backwards(it would have been the catch of the game if he didnt stumble back) the second he broke down the ball., nothing else came his way from then on even when he came back on. Maher has deadly potential but with kealy's kick outs he wont be able to show is worth either. Tomas mac an tsaior (pardon the spelling) should be there or else bring back Ger Reidy from Desmonds back if he's around.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I haven't seen much of Kerry this year but Brosnan at centre-back? What's he like there, in comparison to Mike McCarthy, say??

That said I think you'll win anyway, without John Galvin we're in huge trouble. Though if we're underestimated because of that, we might cause a shock. 1 or 2 new players came in the league that look to have improved the team and if we get the tactics right, who knows?

Brosnan was always a player who never got the credit he deserves, especially under Pat O'Shea's reign he got blamed for everything, an anti Crokes bias me thinks. At the Tipp game I Thought he was sensational, but an analyst in a Kerry paper (mightn't have a clue what he's talking about) while acknowledging the great game he had, spotted weaknesses in his defensive duties, but did get to grips with the situation quick. Definately compared to Mike Mc his surging bursts forward are better, a real powerhouse. def deserves to be on the first 15 by a mile, but whether centre back is his best position don't know. But saying that I thought he had a brill game in that position against Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

margio wrote: »
    Brosnan was always a player who never got the credit he deserves, especially under Pat O'Shea's reign he got blamed for everything, an anti Crokes bias me thinks. At the Tipp game I Thought he was sensational, but an analyst in a Kerry paper (mightn't have a clue what he's talking about) while acknowledging the great game he had, spotted weaknesses in his defensive duties, but did get to grips with the situation quick. Definately compared to Mike Mc his surging bursts forward are better, a real powerhouse. def deserves to be on the first 15 by a mile, but whether centre back is his best position don't know. But saying that I thought he had a brill game in that position against Tipp.
    I don't really agree. Think Brosnan is weak at Center Back. Would Prefer to see him around the Middle without defensive Duties. Against Tip he was fine going forward, but in the First Half we were opened up through the middle. Doenst win many breaks round the middle either. Disappointed to see Scanlon miss out as well as I feel he needs these games to get back into form.

Kealy is probably on his last chance. Another Dodgy performance and Mac an tSaoir should get a chance.

Midfield is Vital, and I wuldn't be surprised to see Mike Quirke in early if the boat is being rocked. Forwards pick themslves till Paul is back. Then I think it'll be:

10. PG 11. Darran 12. Donnacha
    13. Gooch 14 Donaghy 15 Declan.

Hard on Keiran O'Leary, but I think he's a bit too small at the moment. Needs to follow his young club mate Daithí Casey's example, and bulk up. Daithí used to be awful small even coming out of Minors. Now he's a big strong lad, and has a good future ahead of him.

worrying thing is that no back is strong enough to take over the centre back role that's there at the moment. Tommy Griffin could be a possibility if he gets fit enough, age might be a bit against him, not sure what age he is. Brendan Guiney from Emmets would have made a great one but he drifts in and out of the panel. time will tell but I think Eoin Brosnan's return will prove vital, but one has to pose the serious question that is centre back his best position

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I don't really agree. Think Brosnan is weak at Center Back. Would Prefer to see him around the Middle without defensive Duties. Against Tip he was fine going forward, but in the First Half we were opened up through the middle. Doenst win many breaks round the middle either. Disappointed to see Scanlon miss out as well as I feel he needs these games to get back into form.

Kealy is probably on his last chance. Another Dodgy performance and Mac an tSaoir should get a chance.

Midfield is Vital, and I wuldn't be surprised to see Mike Quirke in early if the boat is being rocked. Forwards pick themslves till Paul is back. Then I think it'll be:

10. PG 11. Darran 12. Donnacha
    13. Gooch 14 Donaghy 15 Declan.

Hard on Keiran O'Leary, but I think he's a bit too small at the moment. Needs to follow his young club mate Daithí Casey's example, and bulk up. Daithí used to be awful small even coming out of Minors. Now he's a big strong lad, and has a good future ahead of him.

I don't know if you're trying to give me hope but if Tipp were able to attack through the middle, and Tomás O'Sé is out aswell, then there must be hope for Stephen Kelly attacking from deep. He's caused you problems before. And his brother, Jamesie, is a similar-type player.

We'll probably have Tom Lee and Jim Donovan in midfield and I'd expect to break even against Maher and Sheehan. If Galvin was there, I'd expect to win that battle. But Quirke has caused problems for us before, he shored up the midfield for you last year.

But that forward line is so scary, I can't see us holding them for 70 minutes. An inside forward line of Donaghy, Gooch and Declan O'Sullivan would rip any team apart.

Brosnan was destroyed in the league against Dublin, and will be destroyed again by any decent inter-county CF he comes up against.

I'd be amazed (although nothing would really amaze me when it comes to Jack and his tactics) if TOS wasn't CB when the chips are down in the Championship.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'd be amazed if TOS wasn't CB when the chips are down in the Championship.

It's the smart move and I don't know why it hasn't been done already - like putting Marc in at full back with Enright in the corner - we need the experienced players moving into the central positions and young guys taking up the wide areas.

Somebody pointed out earlier that people don't give Brosnan credit due to a bias against Crokes - tbh the only way you could say Brosnan is up to inter county standard - not to mind up to the standard of starting at CB, is if you had a very strong pro Crokes bias.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement