Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Gerone71

1987-1996, a great era for the GAA...no SAM in Kerrys greedy paws!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭margio

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Jack O' Connor is a serious manager alright. Up there with Mickey Harte as the top manager of this era.

it's a pity Pat O'Shea didn't get more of a run, his job curtailed his involvement, would love to have seen john evans take the job when he went neck and neck against john, ah well Kerry's loss is Tipp's gainn. wouldn't rate jack o'connor that highly to be honest, and he's certainly no Micko, i mean like the all irelands he won as trainer were easy, and tyrone are the team to beat for kerry. as for final against Dublin jack got his tactics wrong, but were still unlucky to lose

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Kerry will be back sooner rather than later. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Can someone here explain exactly what happened between Declan O'Sullivan and Ger Brennan on the touchline?

I missed the start of the incident and I've heard so many different takes.

At home later and the coverage didn't feature it.

So from someone who had an uninterrupted view, exactly what happened?

quad_red wrote: »
    Can someone here explain exactly what happened between Declan O'Sullivan and Ger Brennan on the touchline?

I missed the start of the incident and I've heard so many different takes.

At home later and the coverage didn't feature it.

So from someone who had an uninterrupted view, exactly what happened?

Jack O' Connor called Declan O'Sullivan over to consult with him and Brennan went over with him, and Declan i think shoved him first, and then a bit of argy bargy started, only handbag stuff really. Who got man of the match, missed that part, i have a feeling it was Cluxton, am I right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,027 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Gerone71 wrote: »
    1987-1996, a great era for the GAA...no SAM in Kerrys greedy paws!

Really good insightful stuff there
    aidan24326 wrote: »
    Kerry will be back sooner rather than later. End of.

Can you elaborate a bit more on the 'sooner' part of that.

It's two seasons now since they last won.
    They will loose a few more players this winter, particularly backs, Tom O' Se, Tom Sullivan, Eoin Brosnan, Aidan O' Mahoney to name a few possibilities.
    The players they have now are not getting any younger.
    Who is coming through to replace the guys who have left ?
    People talk about Shane Enright as a possibility, others mention David Moran or Daniel Bohan, but these guys have yet to prove anything.

Ciaran O' Leary did not get a chance to prove anything on All Ireland final day, and I did not think that BJK had a great outing either when he came on

I seriously think that it could be lean times for Kerry over the coming years, like the late 80s the core of the team that had been great for years started to get old and retire, and then you had a 10 year wait for the next batch to come through.

I'm not sure if it will be 10 years this time because you now have qualifiers that give teams a chance to re-group (in the 80s, 90s if you lost the Munster final that was it), but I cannot see Kerry being a force again for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭Justin10

Kevin Nolan got Man of the Match, he has been amazing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

They will loose a few more players this winter, particularly backs, Tom O' Se, Tom Sullivan, Eoin Brosnan, Aidan O' Mahoney to name a few possibilities.
    People talk about Shane Enright as a possibility, others mention David Moran or Daniel Bohan, but these guys have yet to prove anything.

Ciaran O' Leary did not get a chance to prove anything on All Ireland final day, and I did not think that BJK had a great outing either when he came on

I seriously think that it could be lean times for Kerry over the coming years, like the late 80s the core of the team that had been great for years started to get old and retire, and then you had a 10 year wait for the next batch to come through.

I'm not sure if it will be 10 years this time because you now have qualifiers that give teams a chance to re-group (in the 80s, 90s if you lost the Munster final that was it), but I cannot see Kerry being a force again for a few years.

Its not quite all the doom and gloom that you portray though, the fact is that the oldest starting forward last Sunday for Kerry was 27 and yer backs have needed an overhaul for a while so that is a blessing, everytime this year when the Kerry defence was ran at down the middle they crumbled and frfesh blood is needed there.

I appreciate that Kerry may not appear to have the usual conveyor belt of talent coming through, as their underage teams in recent years have been poor enough by Kerry standards.

BUT, Kerry rarely go away for very long. That barren spell from 86-97 was about the only time in gaelic football history that Kerry had that kind of gap without winning an All-Ireland. AFAIK they've won at least one All-Ireland in every single for the past century and I'd comfortably bet my life that they'll win one (or more) in this decade aswell.

Might take them a couple of years to rebuild but I wouldn't bet against them winning an All-Ireland again in the next 3 or 4 years. With the great Tyrone team finished and this great Kerry team coming to an end aswell next year's championship looks wide open. Good chance for the likes of Mayo or Kildare to make a breakthrough.

I appreciate that Kerry may not appear to have the usual conveyor belt of talent coming through, as their underage teams in recent years have been poor enough by Kerry standards.

BUT, Kerry rarely go away for very long. That barren spell from 86-97 was about the only time in gaelic football history that Kerry had that kind of gap without winning an All-Ireland. AFAIK they've won at least one All-Ireland in every single for the past century and I'd comfortably bet my life that they'll win one (or more) in this decade aswell.

Might take them a couple of years to rebuild but I wouldn't bet against them winning an All-Ireland again in the next 3 or 4 years. With the great Tyrone team finished and this great Kerry team coming to an end aswell next year's championship looks wide open. Good chance for the likes of Mayo or Kildare to make a breakthrough.

Well that is about right, and it would not describe it as 'sooner than later', that would mean 5-7 years between All Ireland's

• Advertisement

Yeah basically what I meant is that Kerry's return to the top tends to happen quicker than for most counties. The 'sooner' tends to be pretty soon by anyone else's standards.

I mean if you asked me when I think Galway might win a football All-Ireland again, I'd say I have no idea. Could be 3 years and it could be 23. Same goes for the likes of Tyrone or Meath or anyone else. Kerry's consistency is admirable, though ye'll need to improve at underage because seeing Kerry teams hammered by Tipp at minor and slaughtered by Cork in the U-21 isn't what you'd expect. You'd be looking for a big improvement from next year's crop of young players.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

though ye'll need to improve at underage because seeing Kerry teams hammered by Tipp at minor .

:confused::confused::confused: tipp beat kerry by one point..the team that knocks out kerry at minor level, normally either wins the all ireland or gets to the final at least. you will find very few exceptions over the past 15 years of that, if any...

i dont expect many departures next year, except for maybe tom sullivan. i think the rest will stay on, toomas the only other doubt....griffan off the bench then would go also i think.

enright, bohane, reidy are more than capable of settling into the backline and i would put galvin in at center back and try brosnan back at 11, with declan at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 axel the red

We'll definitely need to fill a few spots in defence next year, but I don't think the outlook is as gloomy as some posters.
    David Moran will come into midfield next year, and I believe Maher could be turned into a solid No. 6.
    Bohan, Enright, Crowley and McGuire are all good enough to step up from the bench. We'll need to unearth a few subs all right, but there are always a few names thrown up before the end of the County Championship so don't lose heart yet!!

:confused::confused::confused: tipp beat kerry by one point..the team that knocks out kerry at minor level, normally either wins the all ireland or gets to the final at least. you will find very few exceptions over the past 15 years of that, if any...

i dont expect many departures next year, except for maybe tom sullivan. i think the rest will stay on, toomas the only other doubt....griffan off the bench then would go also i think.

enright, bohane, reidy are more than capable of settling into the backline and i would put galvin in at center back and try brosnan back at 11, with declan at 15.

A regressive move if you ask me.

Galvin no longer has 70mins in him, going by the performance on Sunday he may not even have 50mins in him so why not find a new young back now instead of trying to hang on to Galvin.
    use him as a sub of course but do not rely on him for a full game.
    The same goes for Brosnan, now is the time to find a replacement, I know he is not ancient but he has retired once already.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭King Cantona

Some people are so fickle and have short memories. If Dublin didn´t score the goal in the last few minutes, Kerry win another All-Ireland and the very men being slated in this thread would be hailed as "experienced-pros".

Some people are so fickle and have short memories. If Dublin didn´t score the goal in the last few minutes, Kerry win another All-Ireland and the very men being slated in this thread would be hailed as "experienced-pros".

Well regardless of the outcome retirements were/are expected.

And who is being slated ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Donaghy contributed little in the AI this year, a couple of points here or there, but couldn't convert a couple of vital goal chances.

Donacha Walsh, good honest player, but did he score anything in the semi or final?

Only Gooch and Darren O'Sullivan were half decent, although both faded badly in the final.

Galvin again did little in the final apart from a point.

To be honest, Kerry looked like they were outmuscled by Dublin, who also looked fitter.

I think if Dublin met Kerry again next year the result would be similar, although I think Dublin will have progressed more next year as they are a relatively young team and have strength in depth.

You really need to be bringing through a couple of top class players every year to keep winning AI's. Kerry didn't do that this year or last year.

Kinnelly, Daragh O'Se and Tommy Walsh were also big losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

^^ Harsh tbh. They were beaten literally by a fingertip and one score.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

Dont want to rub it in as you Kerry folk are true sports people but I could not resist....... Remember the old photo of the kids in the missions well here is the 2011 version.

6173250780_16847b02ac_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Kerry were not bad on Sunday. Dublin were better. That's the long and short of it. August 2009 is a distant memory now. Since then Kerry have been beaten by Dublin in their two league and one championship encounters. As people are saying, Kerry are never gone for long, though another 1987 - 1996 period would be great, preferably longer. We won't now see a jubilee team at the All-Ireland Final from Kerry for 11 years. Chances are we'll see an actual Kerry team on All-Ireland final day in the meantime though. They'll be amongst the favourites for Sam in 2012. It will have been a 3 year gap by then, considered a famine in Kerry. There are some of the big counties out there that have some real famines, like Mayo or Kildare, so it would be nice to see some of those counties win it before Sam next heads to the southwest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Flukey wrote: »
    Kerry were not bad on Sunday. Dublin were better. That's the long and short of it. August 2009 is a distant memory now. Since then Kerry have been beaten by Dublin in their two league and one championship encounters. As people are saying, Kerry are never gone for long, though another 1987 - 1996 period would be great, preferably longer. We won't now see a jubilee team at the All-Ireland Final from Kerry for 11 years. Chances are we'll see an actual Kerry team on All-Ireland final day in the meantime though. They'll be amongst the favourites for Sam in 2012. It will have been a 3 year gap by then, considered a famine in Kerry. There are some of the big counties out there that have some real famines, like Mayo or Kildare, so it would be nice to see some of those counties win it before Sam next heads to the southwest.

Good points.

But traditional Kerry hunger and determination can only carry them so far. When you have mileage on the clock, and the players coming through aren't as good as the players you lost, then you have to wonder.

For example, Kerry seem to have no strength in depth these days, apart from maybe Galvin and even he struggles these days to make an impact.

Some people believe Kerry will come back stronger next year and win the AI. I'd be more of the view that they will struggle next year.

Against Mayo for example, only for Gooch, they really struggled. In my view when Gooch has a quiet game, Kerry really struggle when it comes to the big games. Donaghy, the O'Sullivans, Galvin, no longer look like match winners outside of Munster.

Next year could decide if Kerry are heading for a really long famine, ie more than 5 years, or if they are back to their best and stringing AIs together again.

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Good points.

But traditional Kerry hunger and determination can only carry them so far. When you have mileage on the clock, and the players coming through aren't as good as the players you lost, then you have to wonder.

For example, Kerry seem to have no strength in depth these days, apart from maybe Galvin and even he struggles these days to make an impact.

Some people believe Kerry will come back stronger next year and win the AI. I'd be more of the view that they will struggle next year.

Against Mayo for example, only for Gooch, they really struggled. In my view when Gooch has a quiet game, Kerry really struggle when it comes to the big games. Donaghy, the O'Sullivans, Galvin, no longer look like match winners outside of Munster.

Next year could decide if Kerry are heading for a really long famine, ie more than 5 years, or if they are back to their best and stringing AIs together again.

What's prob so painful about this loss is the fact that Kerry shouldn't have lost the game. Now firstly I Don't begrudge Dublin an All Ireland, cuz they have got so close. Although I feel that last year should have been their year, only to have messed up against Cork. Now I Feel that Kerry were actually the better side and that's why people are bewildered. I Think that Kerry intended to have the game over in 15 mins lke they did with Mayo and Cork and of course Dublin 2 years ago in the quarter. They could nwarly have with a bit of luck and because this didn't happen Jack O'Connor panicked and brought om Galvin too soon. Lets be fair Pat Gilroy in fairness to him never panicked and stuck to his guns and it paid off. dub deffo deservd an Ireland within the last 5 years but unfortunately for us we were to the team that they beat. I'd prefer to get beat by them, than Tyrone.
    As for the fact that Kerry might suffer a famine, don't think that any good team can suffer famine for too long with this Qualifiers structure. now Kerry possibly might have gone through a little drought already if the old structure was in place.. Hence the word championship, much prefer the old way even if Kerry wouldn't have won half the all irelands

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Fitzerb

so there is going to be 3 retirements apparently.

tom sullivan, brosnan and griffan????

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

so there is going to be 3 retirements apparently.

tom sullivan, brosnan and griffan????

So far, it's a long winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

You are a trolling muppet

Please use the report function if you are unhappy with another post, otherwise posting like this results in bans

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    So far, it's a long winter.

im asking, not saying, and looking for opinions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Kerry will be there or thereabouts next year,the hurt of the defeat to the Dubs will spur the team on next year to put right the wrongs of this year,dont write off this current Kerry team yet,anytime we have lost an All Ireland we have come back stronger.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,376 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

im asking, not saying, and looking for opinions!!

my opinion is it's a long winter - thought that was obvious:rolleyes:

As players face into a long winter and the thoughts of getting themselves up for another long season, some might then decide to go.
    Making a decision a few days after a final is never a good idea - unless they had their minds made up beforehand, some do and some don't.

Whatever names are mentioned there will probably be a few surprises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

margio wrote: »
    What's prob so painful about this loss is the fact that Kerry shouldn't have lost the game. Now firstly I Don't begrudge Dublin an All Ireland, cuz they have got so close. Although I feel that last year should have been their year, only to have messed up against Cork. Now I Feel that Kerry were actually the better side and that's why people are bewildered. I Think that Kerry intended to have the game over in 15 mins lke they did with Mayo and Cork and of course Dublin 2 years ago in the quarter. They could nwarly have with a bit of luck and because this didn't happen Jack O'Connor panicked and brought om Galvin too soon. Lets be fair Pat Gilroy in fairness to him never panicked and stuck to his guns and it paid off. dub deffo deservd an Ireland within the last 5 years but unfortunately for us we were to the team that they beat. I'd prefer to get beat by them, than Tyrone.
    As for the fact that Kerry might suffer a famine, don't think that any good team can suffer famine for too long with this Qualifiers structure. now Kerry possibly might have gone through a little drought already if the old structure was in place.. Hence the word championship, much prefer the old way even if Kerry wouldn't have won half the all irelands

Very good post i agree and im a Dubs fan.Very looking forward to next years Championship even now its looking very interesting.It takes a good team to win an All-Ireland but it takes an even better team to defend it.Many people including myself want to see a repeat of Dublin v Kerry in whatever stage of the Championship next year to really see are we the team(Dublin) of the modern era.Let the battle begin!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement