Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

DDC1990 wrote: »
    That's gas. I thought Sherwood had a decent game, but isn't a Centre Back. He marked Gallagher totally out of the game, but Mayo streamed through the middle. Crowley or O'Mahoney would have made shíte of lads coming through the middle, where Sherwood doesn't have that physicality, though he's bulked right up since last year.
    I thought Sherwood was yer best defender and looked physical and commanding. He was coming onto ball around the centre fairly regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

keane2097 wrote: »
    Management need to have a think about the value of blowing a team out of the skies if teams are just going to surround the high fielder with five or six guys and refs are going to let them all poke and prod at him like Deegan did yesterday.

Some of the frees that were given to the Mayo forward line looked very soft compared to what David Moran was dealing with when "over-carrying".

There were a couple of years when refs seemed to have been given instructions to give the benefit of the doubt to fielders in these situations I guess to incentivize fielding and discourage hordes of guys milling around the middle, conceding the high ball and rushing in when the player in possession hits the ground.

funny u say that cos Pat McEneaney is an advocate of blowing for fouls when a player is surrounded like dave moran was yesterday on countless occasions. wonder what he'll have to say to deegan about his performance:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

BPKS wrote: »
    funny u say that cos Pat McEneaney is an advocate of blowing for fouls when a player is surrounded like dave moran was yesterday on countless occasions. wonder what he'll have to say to deegan about his performance:confused::confused:

I would suspect there will be a memo sent out about it in the next week or so. GAA often crack down on these things then relax after a while when it goes away, can be slow to react when it comes back again.

They did the same thing with off the ball body checks before the black card iirc.

The constant dragging of running players was even worse, and most free kicks were delayed without penalty slowing the game down. They really need to stamp it out if they want a free flowing game. The Lines men and umpires were of no help to the ref and never flagged for a clear punch on Vaughan and later a penalty that they clearly saw. A child could better some of the linesmen and umpires out there.

The GAA need to have more consistent professional teams of PAID officials otherwise whats the point in amateur players putting in so much effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

poor showing and some baffling decisions from the sideline. you are struggling for scores and you take off BJK and Paul Geaney, while leaving Mikey Geaney on the pitch and replacing them with players with no Inter County experiece what so ever. we scored f*ck all from play in the last 15 minutes, what on earth could you expect with was essentially was a Junior standard forward line at best.

the amount of swarming around players that Mayo were doing was crazy, very very poor to watch though as was pointed out during the "puke football" game of 2003, where on earth were the 4 or 5 free Kerry players helping out in support?? everytime a Kerry man fielded a ball cleanly, he had 4 or 5 Mayo men around him and no way to go... something to work on in the latter rounds against teams who use this tactic like Mayo do.

fully deserved win for Mayo however, well above the level we were at.
    Who is this "Timmy" you refer to?..

I love these lads who come onto a thread and the only comment they make is "X is useless" or some such vapid nonsense.

not sure why you would take the opinion of anybody from Roscommon seriously.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Management need to have a think about the value of blowing a team out of the skies if teams are just going to surround the high fielder with five or six guys and refs are going to let them all poke and prod at him like Deegan did yesterday.

Some of the frees that were given to the Mayo forward line looked very soft compared to what David Moran was dealing with when "over-carrying".

There were a couple of years when refs seemed to have been given instructions to give the benefit of the doubt to fielders in these situations I guess to incentivize fielding and discourage hordes of guys milling around the middle, conceding the high ball and rushing in when the player in possession hits the ground.
    I think you're right, the benefit is going to have to be given to the fielder. Within limits, as long as they don't burrow with their head down. But it seems impossible to referee as you have steps, over aggressive tackling, barging. Giving an optional mark to any catch of a kickout beyond the 45 (if you take a solo you've opted not to mark) might be the way to do it.
    Clearly the drag back needs to operate on a tick/yellow/red basis. Every team is doing it. Also steps needs to be policed better. For example David Moran/Aidan OShea when faced one on one will take minimum of 5 or 6 steps and seek out the contact. Refs usually give you a 2 or 3 steps grace in contact (no official rule that they do, but refs will let a player in contact take extra steps). Players not soloing the ball makes it extremely difficult for defenders to disposess. The other common one is like where Andy Moran or Kevin McManamon will come in along the endline with the ball wrapped up and pumping the legs.
    For sure reduce the subs back to 5 and reduce to third black card means off. I'm hoping we'll get to a better game someday. Slowly but surely I think we're getting there. But the amount of dragging and crowding this weekend in most games was noticeable.
    Slowing down frees should be made a black card offence in my view as well. Almost every free.

Still think bringing the ball forward 50 yards for all that stuff would have solved the games issues in one fell swoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

Apart from the fact that there was no noticeable 'reiteoir' on the field yesterday and large tracts of the game resembled rugby league, does anybody know why Kerry wore Blue jerseys and not their normal Green & Gold. Impossible at times, perticularly long distance shots on TG4 to distinguish which team had the ball.
    Brutal awful and totally blind planning by somebody. WHO is to blame? He/she should be shot at dawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

poor showing and some baffling decisions from the sideline. you are struggli

the amount of swarming around players that Mayo were doing was crazy, very very poor to watch though as was pointed out during the "puke football" game of 2003, where on earth were the 4 or 5 free Kerry players helping out in support?? everytime a Kerry man fielded a ball cleanly, he had 4 or 5 Mayo men around him and no way to go... something to work on in the latter rounds against teams who use this tactic like Mayo do.

You dont have to go back to 2003 for the last game of puked football, last years all ireland was the worst I seen, with the pulling and dragging and swarming but you seem to have forgotten about that one already

poor showing and some baffling decisions from the sideline. you are struggli

You dont have to go back to 2003 for the last game of puked football, last years all ireland was the worst I seen, with the pulling and dragging and swarming but you seem to have forgotten about that one already
    It's to a fairly large degree in all teams and all games to some degree as it is a successful tactic. It should be fairly obvious to GAA HQ and I believe we will see further rule changes and/or stricter implementation of certain rules.

• Advertisement

wackokid wrote: »
    Apart from the fact that there was no noticeable 'reiteoir' on the field yesterday

If Cormac Reilly wasn't still celebrating the All Ireland in Killarney they could of asked him up to the park....:).

B8xcU4MIIAAMjKE.jpg:small

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Apart from the fact that there was no noticeable 'reiteoir' on the field yesterday and large tracts of the game resembled rugby league, does anybody know why Kerry wore Blue jerseys and not their normal Green & Gold. Impossible at times, perticularly long distance shots on TG4 to distinguish which team had the ball.
    Brutal awful and totally blind planning by somebody. WHO is to blame? He/she should be shot at dawn.

When there is a clash of colours in GAA, its the home team that change their jerseys which is why Kerry changed. One can only speculate as to why Mayo changed but it might have something to do with the fact that if they play Kerry later in the year in the championship both sides will have to change shirts and it was a chance for Mayo players to get used of these jerseys in a competitive match. And of course now they are unbeaten against Kerry in the black and yellow jersey;) So step away from the shotgun for a minute:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭wackokid

When there is a clash of colours in GAA, its the home team that change their jerseys which is why Kerry changed. One can only speculate as to why Mayo changed but it might have something to do with the fact that if they play Kerry later in the year in the championship both sides will have to change shirts and it was a chance for Mayo players to get used of these jerseys in a competitive match. And of course now they are unbeaten against Kerry in the black and yellow jersey;) So step away from the shotgun for a minute:D:D

When there is a clash of colours in GAA, its the home team that change their jerseys which is why Kerry changed

What is the CLASH of colours between GREEN & Gold and that silly shiny black thing Mayo wore.?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Elverys or whoever has a vested interest in profits made from Mayo jersey sales saw a clash anyway, that's all I know

i remember the game very well actually -

1412257851_Kerry_all_ireland_winners_2014.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Radio5

In the modern era ( i.e the last 20 years) I can't remember Kerry changing jerseys because of a "colour clash" with Mayo, up until the 2011 semi-final.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Kerryfootball

RoscommonTom,

Kerry did what they needed to do to beat a particular style of play.
    Envy/jealousy is a nice trait in a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Kerry are pretty decent odds at 7/2 to win the AI - Dublin are 6/5. No other side are serious contenders IMO.

Mayo and Donegal have unproven management. Cork haven't a pup's chance of reaching, let alone winning an AI final - 10/1 is a stupid price.

Kerry have Gooch and Walsh coming back in - potentially two of the best players in the game - bringing this kind of quality into the AI Champs is unusual. The confidence the younger Kerry Players will take from the AI win is going to be really signficant.

Dublin have a lot of quality but they are still poor defensively and Donegal have produced a perfect template to handle them. FitzM and O Neill won't need any prompting to replicate that. Kerry are home in the Munster Final so have a nailed on Munster Title in the bag.

IMO Kerry are certs for the AI, this season. Darren O Sullivan has quit work to reclaim his place - he knows that a few AI's are coming the the Kingdon in the next few years - the lads like young Spillane will soon be coming through - so Kerry are headed for more domination and their nemisis Tyrone are in rapid decline.

ps - this is not a Cork version of the Yerra - I can't see anyone stopping Kerry.

Gooch is on tv now and has confirmed that he played full part in a game the Tuesday before the All Ireland and was given the All clear to play 12 days beforehand. He was available to play 10 minutes if needed.

First time I've heard this apart from various rumours.

Gooch is on tv now and has confirmed that he played full part in a game the Tuesday before the All Ireland and was given the All clear to play 12 days beforehand. He was available to play 10 minutes if needed.

Yeah James confirmed he played the full training game in an interview a good while ago. It was confirmed by various other players before that as well. According to James Gooch was "disgusting" (i.e. good!) and he was described by another player as "flying" the same night.

I don't know if he was on the list of names handed by Fitzmaurice to the ref to be used on the day or not, I think not.

• Advertisement

That's completely contradicting what he said on TG4 on Sunday.
    I really doubt it to be honest & I hope he is rested until March at the earliest.

That's completely contradicting what he said on TG4 on Sunday.
    I really doubt it to be honest & I hope he is rested until March at the earliest.
    On TG4 he said Dr. Ray Moran advised him to take the full year (he is now 13 months). He said he took part in a football training game before the All Ireland. Does anyone honestly think he was sprinting/twisting and being properly marshalled by a defender? One mistimed tackle and you end the career of one of the best forwards in the game. This after being advised to take one year.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

RoscommonTom,

Kerry did what they needed to do to beat a particular style of play.
    Envy/jealousy is a nice trait in a person.

They were at it all last year,

Mod: Not the first time you have been told to stop this crap in the Kerry thread.

You must have missed the Mayo game in Linerick?

And even if we did play defensively, What about it, What's it to a Roscommon man like yourself?

It's a bit rich taking a lecture of you about Kerrys style of play.

It's taking a Kerry man to make ye competitive up there.

And even if we did play defensively, What about it, What's it to a Roscommon man like yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Tom must have missed last years Munster Final as well,

We were very defensive that day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

does anybody know why Kerry wore Blue jerseys and not their normal Green & Gold.

Both counties had just released new 'change' shirts that weekend and obviously wanted to put them on display to boost sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Team to play Derry:
    1. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin

2. Pa Kilkenny Glenbeigh/Glencar
    3. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore
    4. Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes

5. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
    6. Jack Sherwood Firies
    7. Paul Murphy Rathmore

8. David Moran (C) Kerins O’Rahillys
    9. Tommy Walsh Kerins O’Rahillys

10. Michael Geaney Dingle
    11. Bryan Sheehan St Marys
    12. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes

13. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    14. Paul Geaney Dingle
    15. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys

Subs:
    16. Shane Murphy Kilcummin
    17. Kieran O’Leary Dr Crokes
    18. Philip O’Connor Cordal
    19. Alan Fitzgerald Castlegregory
    20. Jack McGuire Listowel Emmets
    21. Shane Enright Tarbert
    22. Anthony Maher Duagh
    23. Killian Young Renard
    24. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    25. Padraig O’Connor Killarney Legion
    26. Thomas Hickey Desmonds
    27. Daithí Casey Dr Crokes

Same team as last Sunday apart from O'Leary being dropped. Sheehan probably better off on the 40 plus Tommy looked decent in midfield last Sunday. Have my doubts about Sherwood at 6, or anywhere to be honest, but we'll see how he goes. Strong bench with Young, Maher, Walsh and Enright back aswell.
    It's a long journey and fitness is still an issue obviously, but Derry don't look hectic right now, so could be a chance to get 2 points here.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Tommy Walsh 25/1 to be POTY, definitely worth a sneaky tenner...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

That's a very young half back line we're fielding, relatively inexperienced at this level but plenty of talent there. Looking forward to seeing Jon Lyne at half back

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement