Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Tralee Town Final played tonight,Austin Stacks beat Kerins O Rahillys 1-14 to 1-9

Apparently Tommy Walsh started midfield of the Narries.

Best of luck to Ardfert and Brosna tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

We're playing Valentia Island in the Munster Junior B final tomorrow. Expecting them to be quite good considering they destroyed Cratloe in the semi-final, and Kerry teams generally win this competition. Do we have any hope?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭wonga77

Fireball07 wrote: »
    We're playing Valentia Island in the Munster Junior B final tomorrow. Expecting them to be quite good considering they destroyed Cratloe in the semi-final, and Kerry teams generally win this competition. Do we have any hope?

Tis too cold for football. Brendan sullivan is an ace midfielder, other then that they are average but have a huge amount of pride and are always tough to beat. But if your on boards looking for inspiration then I think your in the wrong place...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

wonga77 wrote: »
    Tis too cold for football. Brendan sullivan is an ace midfielder, other then that they are average but have a huge amount of pride and are always tough to beat. But if your on boards looking for inspiration then I think your in the wrong place...

I don't think inspiration is the right word, I think mild inquisitiveness would be the correct term! I'll find out tomorrow anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭wonga77

I dont know too much about them other then they had 2 I think on the south kerry team last year. Down in division 5 but like I said, always a decent championship team and hard to beat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Very good interview with cian o Neill in Sunday times
    A great coach

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

team predictions for sunday?

seen as he is already training with Kerry and its the first game as captain, id said Donaghy will play and be bursting to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

seen as he is already training with Kerry and its the first game as captain, id said Donaghy will play and be bursting to play.

Fitzmaurice said Donaghy won't be available along with a few others here:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/defending-the-kingdom-with-reserves-of-strength-30933303.html

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

keane2097 wrote: »

i think he will play....any word on Tommy Walsh, is he involved yet? was there any reason he didnt play against ITT?

Paul Geany didnt line out last weekend so i think he could be missing anyway.

i think he will play....any word on Tommy Walsh, is he involved yet? was there any reason he didnt play against ITT?

Paul Geany didnt line out last weekend so i think he could be missing anyway.

The McGrath Cup squad was picked exclusively from Junior and U21 players I think.

Tommy played against Stacks the last night and did reasonably well around the middle. A bit rusty but got on a pile of ball. He's training with Kerry at the moment alright.

Geaney will be focussing on UCC for the time being I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Brendan Kealy

Shane Enright
    Mark Griffin
    Paul Murphy

Pa Kilkenny
    Killian Young
    Fionn Fitzgerald

David Moran
    Bryan Sheehan

Jonathan Lyne
    John Buckley
    Mikey Geaney

Stephen O Brien
    Paul Geaney
    Barry John Keane

Subs

Podge O Connor
    Jack Sherwood
    Daithi Casey
    Kieran O Leary
    Gavan O Grady
    Conor Cox

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Well done to Ardfert yesterday,lets hope Brosna get over the line in the replay,just seen this clip of the highlights of the Ardfert game

http://www.kerrygaa.ie/news/350646/Ardfert_Advance_to_All_Ireland_Final_Brosna_go_to_a_Replay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Paul Geaney has had little or no break since the AI final with Dingle, then UCC being in action through the winter. He'll be playing Sigerson cup on Tuesday (tomorrow) and probably looking at at least 1 or 2 more games in that over next 3 weeks if UCC progress. I think it would be a bit counter-productive to be playing him Sunday in those circumstances.
    Conor Cox, Thomas Hickey, David Culhane and Podge O'Connor are all with UCC aswell. All 4 probably worthy of a go in League at some point but don't see it happening until maybe round 3/4.

Paul Geaney has had little or no break since the AI final with Dingle, then UCC being in action through the winter. He'll be playing Sigerson cup on Tuesday (tomorrow) and probably looking at at least 1 or 2 more games in that over next 3 weeks if UCC progress. I think it would be a bit counter-productive to be playing him Sunday in those circumstances.
    Conor Cox, Thomas Hickey, David Culhane and Podge O'Connor are all with UCC aswell. All 4 probably worthy of a go in League at some point but don't see it happening until maybe round 3/4.

Any thoughts on a team for the weekend?

Any thoughts on a team for the weekend?

I'd say the team above is a decent stab at it, but I'm not sure who's been in training with them and they haven't done much anyway I know.

I would start Gavan O'Grady for one though. Along with Conor Cox, I think he is a forward who might have what it takes to make an impact up front.

Given the scatty preparation and lack of fitness, depending on what team Mayo throw out, it could be a tough enough battle for Kerry lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

I'd say the team above is a decent stab at it, but I'm not sure who's been in training with them and they haven't done much anyway I know.

I would start Gavan O'Grady for one though. Along with Conor Cox, I think he is a forward who might have what it takes to make an impact up front.

Given the scatty preparation and lack of fitness, depending on what team Mayo throw out, it could be a tough enough battle for Kerry lads.

Yeah and I can see Mayo being very up for this as well after the semi-final.

With all the lads missing the lineup could look very inexperienced in terms of intercounty games. I wouldnt be surprised if Tommy Walsh was among the more experienced players even with his sabbatical.

Kealy
    Enright
    Griffin
    Fitzgerald
    Kilkenny
    Young
    Murphy
    Moran
    Buckley
    M Geaney
    Sheehan
    O'Brien
    BJK
    Walsh
    O'Leary

Something like the above would have enough quality to put it up to Mayo at home I think...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

How's BJK going lately? He'd fallen off the radar slightly having shown great promise coming out of minor

D'Agger wrote: »
    How's BJK going lately? He'd fallen off the radar slightly having shown great promise coming out of minor

Played very well against Stacks the last night apparently got a savage goal and got something like 1-4 total.

Needs to stamp his authority on the league this year. He is around long enough at this stage. Capable of having an impact again this year, he's training like a maniac.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Its not like years ago when the players "wintered" well, all these lads will have a good level of fitness its their sharpness on the ball that will be the issue, you need 7 points to be safe from relegation and i'm pretty sure that Eamonn Fitzmaurice will have targeted this one to break his February duck. Like the look of the team above but I was told at the weekend that tommy walsh wont start against mayo, looking forward to seeing him at some point on sunday all the same.

• Advertisement

Played very well against Stacks the last night apparently got a savage goal and got something like 1-4 total.

Needs to stamp his authority on the league this year. He is around long enough at this stage. Capable of having an impact again this year, he's training like a maniac.

Looking like a serious candidate for joining the long long list of very-talented Kerry players who never managed to nail down a settled place in the Kerry forwards because the lads ahead of him were just that smidge better.

BPKS wrote: »
    Its not like years ago when the players "wintered" well, all these lads will have a good level of fitness its their sharpness on the ball that will be the issue, you need 7 points to be safe from relegation and i'm pretty sure that Eamonn Fitzmaurice will have targeted this one to break his February duck. Like the look of the team above but I was told at the weekend that tommy walsh wont start against mayo, looking forward to seeing him at some point on sunday all the same.

I would agree in a sense but I would say it's more the mental side of tuning back in with all the various celebrations and awards and bits and pieces of being dragged and pulled places, especially as regards lads who were the first-time winners and hadn't been down this path before.

In 2013 for instance after going out in the semi-final, how long before the lads were back seriously thinking about the 2014 championship and setting matters to rights. Compare what the lads on the Kerry panel got up to in the 3 months of October, November and December 2013 compared to what they have been doing the last 3 months. I'm not saying it's due to a lack of professionalism or anything like that but simply turning up to all the various celebrations and awards and school visits and the like.

Now think about what the likes of Dublin and Mayo have been up to the for the 3 months of October, November and December 2014. How often have their thoughts turned to settting matters to right in 2015?

Darran was good in 2011 but outside of that has never really delivered on his promise for Kerry thanks mostly to injury. It would be nice to see him get one or two years of a run with a clean bill of health as much for his own sake so he won't have any regrets when he finishes up as anything else.

Even fully fit and flying this year I think he would be up against it to make the front six, which is a great thing to be able to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Special mention needs to go out to that goal against Armagh in 2006-an absolute cracker

Special mention needs to go out to that goal against Armagh in 2006-an absolute cracker

Goal against Cork in 2011 was a far better goal I thought. Nice reverse angle view here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvN7TAoLXxA

Wouldn't have beaten Westmeath in Mullingar in 2012 without his cracking goal either.
    I'm not really comfortable with hearing a player having to do this, but have massive admiration for his dedication to the jersey aswell. I wouldn't like this to become a trend though.

Goal against Cork in 2011 was a far better goal I thought. Nice reverse angle view here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvN7TAoLXxA

Wouldn't have beaten Westmeath in Mullingar in 2012 without his cracking goal either.
    I'm not really comfortable with hearing a player having to do this, but have massive admiration for his dedication to the jersey aswell. I wouldn't like this to become a trend though.

I think it was more to do with Darran's view of being stuck in Ulster bank for another 30plus year as opposed to trying something that bit different.

The easy option for Darran would have been to coast along in Ulster bank, but the fact that he went doing the post-grad thing in DIT and went doing the thing in Sky, seem to suggest he is more interested in exploring other options.

I really think the media have picked this up the wrong way - to me it's far more about a lad not willing to coast along in a cushy number and be bored out of his mind but wanting to explore other options.

The folk going on about him being a professional GAA footballer are really getting hold of the wrong end of the stick in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

1. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin

2. Pa Kilkenny Glenbeigh/Glencar

3. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore

4. Shane Enright Tarbert

5. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion

6. Fionn Fitzgerald Dr Crokes

7. Paul Murphy Rathmore

8. David Moran (C) Kerins O’Rahillys

9. Bryan Sheehan St Marys

10. Michael Geaney Dingle

11. Kieran O’Leary Dr Crokes

12. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes

13. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare

14. Paul Geaney Dingle

15. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys

Fir Ionaid:

16. Shane Murphy Kilcummin

17. Jack Sherwood Firies

18. DaithI Casey Dr Crokes

19. Tommy Walsh Kerins O’Rahillys

20. Padraig Ó Conchúir Dingle

21. Thomas Hickey Desmonds

22. Philip O’Connor Cordal

23. Alan Fitzgerald Castlegregory

24. Jack Maguire Listowel Emmets

25. Conor Keane Killarney Legion

• Advertisement

The following players from the All Ireland Final panel are unavailable as follows:

The following players are unavailable due to Injury:

Colm Cooper knee – March return

Brian Kelly ankle

Marc Ó Sé back

Peter Crowley hamstring

Aidan O’Mahony ankle operation

Donnchadh Walsh groin

James O’Donoghue shoulder

Darran O’Sullivan hamstring

Killian Young

Paul O’Donoghue knee

Marcus Mangan