Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

I'd be expecting a Kerry win no matter what team they put out. I was coaching athletics last night beside where the IT were training and they only had 13 players at it. A lot of the students probably aren't back from the Christmas break yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

KERRY TEAM V IT TRALEE ANNOUNCED 09/01/2015

The Kerry team to play IT Tralee in the Munster GAA McGrath Cup Qtr Final in Austin Stack Park Tralee on Sunday at 2pm is as follows:

1 Shane Murphy Kilcummin

2 Sean T. Dillon St Senans

3 Caoimhín Ó Beaglaoich An Ghaeltacht

4 Donal Maher Kilcummin

5 Paul McMahon St Pats

6 Tadhg Morley Templenoe

7 Shane O’Connor John Mitchels

8 Conor McGillicuddy Glenbeigh/Glencar

9 Jack Barry Na Gaeil

10 Adam Barry Brosna

11 James Crean Annascaul

12 Gary Sayers Keel

13 Kevin McCarthy Kilcummin

14 Gavan O’Grady Glenbeigh/Glencar

15 Paul Kennelly Ballydonoghue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

And the subs:

Fir Ionaid:

16 Padraig McCarthy Rathmore
    17 Brian Crowley Templenoe
    18 Brian Ó Beaglaoich An Ghaeltacht
    19 Dara Roche Glenflesk
    20 Micheál Burns Dr Crokes
    21 Matthew Flaherty Dingle
    22 Liam Carey Beaufort
    23 Cormac Coffey Kerins O’Rahillys
    24 Cathal Murphy Rathmore
    25 Tom O’Sullivan Dingle
    26 Killian Spillane Templenoe
    27 Cillian Fitzgerald Churchill
    28 Tom Ladden Keel

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Wow talk about a thrown together team.

Bench is made up of u21s really.

Delighted for Jack Barry, from Na Gaeil making his Senior Debut.

Historic for the club (AFAIK) first Kerry Senior player.

Had a good few Minor, Junior and u21's, but I can't recall any of them playing senior.

His brother Adam (not the lad from Brosna) was Centre Back on the Minor team last year.

Two fine big lads.

EDIT: Also a serious lack of Tommy Walsh! Whats the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Where is Tommy Walsh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

mystic86 wrote: »
    Where is Tommy Walsh?
    Don't need him, we've Gary Sayers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

mystic86 wrote: »
    Where is Tommy Walsh?

Article on the The Score.ie says that he is gone back to Oz for some reason, maybe tying up some loose ends?

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/no-tommy-walsh-kerry-mcgrath-cup-clash-1874683-Jan2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 35 GAA2TheCore

Is Tommy Walsh considering a possible U-turn and staying down under ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is Tommy Walsh considering a possible U-turn and staying down under ?

Seamus Scanlon is to sign with the Essendon Bombers next week. Tommy is acting as his agent to broker the deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 himself123

The midfielder is Colin McGillicuddy from Glenbeigh/Glencar, not Colin. Jack Barry's younger brother Andrew played centre back for the Kerry minors this year and he is eligible again this year. They are Na Gaeil, no relation to Adam of Brosna, who has been playing superb football in the All Ireland Junior Club Championship - Brosna play Rock St. Patrick's of Tyrone in the semi-final in a few weeks time. Tommy Walsh has not gone back to Australia, he is training away at football. Kerry's team against IT Tralee is predominantly the U21 team backed up by the juniors. Frankly, that's always my preference for a competition so early in the year. Chill for a while, give a few runs to young lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

North Kerry Final on today Beale V Listowel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭wonga77

Id presume Listowel are faves? Havent Beale lost a few finals recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Beale won their first NK Championship title in over 20 years,last time they won it Ogie Moran was still playing for them

Finished today Beale 11pts Listowel 10pts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭wonga77

Ive no connection to nk football but its nice to see the underdog win it, especially after such a long wait. Good on Beale
    NKC is very unpredictable, pity they couldnt have it wrapped up before xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

The Kerry experimental side got well beat by Conor Keane and Tralee IT today.

Keane was a joy to watch,Jack Savage was good also.

No-one really stood out for Kerry

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

wonga77 wrote: »
    Ive no connection to nk football but its nice to see the underdog win it, especially after such a long wait. Good on Beale
    NKC is very unpredictable, pity they couldnt have it wrapped up before xmas

the NK board couldnt have done a whole pile more to be honest, the amount of roadblocks in their way this year was insane, started of course by kerry winning the all ireland, which then delayed the county championship.
    • shannon rangers getting to county semi final - i think there was at least 4 first round games effected.
    • lixnaw winning the hurling - munster championship game then.
    • brosna winning the junior, then getting to munster final.
    • ballydonoghue drawing their last county league game, needing a play off and then getting to novice shield final.
    • and of course,, multiple draws - ive never seen as many draws as this year.

people were whinging about extra time, clubs deserve a second day out if the games end in a draw and extra time was played in a good few of the games anyway.

The North Kerry Championship is probably the tightest and most unpredictable in Kerry - the East Kerry O'Donoghue Cup was brilliant this year, both semi-finals and final went to a draw, but it is traditionally dominated by Dr. Crokes - and the hurling means that North Kerry is virtually always the last to finish. This year I really think that the Board did everything they could in regard to circumstances. Central Council have agreed in principle to finishing all competitions in a calendar year - I can't wait to see that one being worked out!
    I have to say that I really think that the GAA season is way too protracted and there is too many games for young elite players and ridiculous gaps for club players. My own club won an Intermediate semi-final two years ago; we were waiting THREE MONTHS for the final. We couldn't even wind down training for a while because the game would be played as soon as Kerry went out of the All Ireland championship. We were playing a dual club who were playing in the Kerry hurling championship all through, which meant that they had much more intensity in the final (not complaining, they were much the better side anyway and with their playing schedule, some of their minor and U21 players will have arthritis by the age of 35). Three long months of "we might have a game next week - but we probably won't".
    I'd love to see a wholesale ban on GAA games in ANY competitions for December and January. Don't mention that supposed 'training ban' on counties, it's actually embarrassing that the GAA really thought that any counties would adhere to that nonsense.
    Forget the McGrath Cup and their ilk, I'm sorry but does anyone actually give a ****e about them? Here's a clue, Kerry don't, and we are the All Ireland champions. We have never ever won the McGrath Cup and Sam Maguire in the one year and no college has ever won the McGrath Cup. Play the National League as a league (no semi-final or final, table-toppers are champions) and start the county league during it (clubs play most league games without their county players already). Run the All Ireland championship over the summer (personally I'd like seeded groups of four with New York added to a group, play each other, group winners in Senior Quarter-Finals, second placed teams into All Ireland Intermediate Cup, etc. No back door and all games allow for extra-time, maximum gap of a fortnight between games. Please don't tell me about fatigue, burnout is more about the training than the games as it stands). No club games, most of the clubs I know are missing 5/6 players over the summer anyway because of seasonal migration. After the All Ireland, you can start running off your County Championship in a straight knockout format and finish the year with club competitions.
    Now, revenue streams would certainly drop, but we can tell Croke Park to make all games pay-per-view and they can have as many concerts in Croke Park as they like, regardless of their solemn agreement not to host more than six events in a given year - yeah, Garth Brooks never mentioned that little titbit, did he? Also, they can move All Ireland semi-finals to put on an American Football game if they want - I know, that's a completely outlandish example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

himself123 wrote: »
    The North Kerry Championship is probably the tightest and most unpredictable in Kerry - the East Kerry O'Donoghue Cup was brilliant this year, both semi-finals and final went to a draw, but it is traditionally dominated by Dr. Crokes - and the hurling means that North Kerry is virtually always the last to finish. This year I really think that the Board did everything they could in regard to circumstances. Central Council have agreed in principle to finishing all competitions in a calendar year - I can't wait to see that one being worked out!
    I have to say that I really think that the GAA season is way too protracted and there is too many games for young elite players and ridiculous gaps for club players. My own club won an Intermediate semi-final two years ago; we were waiting THREE MONTHS for the final. We couldn't even wind down training for a while because the game would be played as soon as Kerry went out of the All Ireland championship. We were playing a dual club who were playing in the Kerry hurling championship all through, which meant that they had much more intensity in the final (not complaining, they were much the better side anyway and with their playing schedule, some of their minor and U21 players will have arthritis by the age of 35). Three long months of "we might have a game next week - but we probably won't".
    I'd love to see a wholesale ban on GAA games in ANY competitions for December and January. Don't mention that supposed 'training ban' on counties, it's actually embarrassing that the GAA really thought that any counties would adhere to that nonsense.
    Forget the McGrath Cup and their ilk, I'm sorry but does anyone actually give a ****e about them? Here's a clue, Kerry don't, and we are the All Ireland champions. We have never ever won the McGrath Cup and Sam Maguire in the one year and no college has ever won the McGrath Cup. Play the National League as a league (no semi-final or final, table-toppers are champions) and start the county league during it (clubs play most league games without their county players already). Run the All Ireland championship over the summer (personally I'd like seeded groups of four with New York added to a group, play each other, group winners in Senior Quarter-Finals, second placed teams into All Ireland Intermediate Cup, etc. No back door and all games allow for extra-time, maximum gap of a fortnight between games. Please don't tell me about fatigue, burnout is more about the training than the games as it stands). No club games, most of the clubs I know are missing 5/6 players over the summer anyway because of seasonal migration. After the All Ireland, you can start running off your County Championship in a straight knockout format and finish the year with club competitions.
    Now, revenue streams would certainly drop, but we can tell Croke Park to make all games pay-per-view and they can have as many concerts in Croke Park as they like, regardless of their solemn agreement not to host more than six events in a given year - yeah, Garth Brooks never mentioned that little titbit, did he? Also, they can move All Ireland semi-finals to put on an American Football game if they want - I know, that's a completely outlandish example.

Soory, but the bit in bold is the exact opposite of what we really need in my view.
    So, because 5 out of a panel of maybe 22 are away for the summer, you want the other 17 to twiddle their thumbs and have ZERO games on hard ground, when the weather is half decent? We need MORE games during the summer, not less.
    What is currently happening in a lot of clubs is the following:
    - December/January: Divisional competitions from previous year finished, possibly running into late January in some cases.
    - Resume training in January. Get flogged for 5/6 weeks with heavy training. Training numbers often very small due to volume of squad with Schools/Colleges teams or just under 21s knackered from being in the middle of 4 competitions in the winter.
    - February: Divisional leagues start.
    - March: County league starts, 3 or 4 games get played up until May.
    - April: 1st round of Novice/Junior/Inter championships played.
    - Late May: Round 1/2 of County championship played.

There then begins a gap (depending on which division of co league you are in etc.) of around 8-12 weeks where a player who is just hitting a good level of fitness gets maybe 1 or 2 games. If he isn't playing County Championship at some level he is left in limbo, his fitness will decline and by the time games resume he and his club are worse off.

Which brings me to your suggestion that the County Championship (Senior) be straight knockout: If you do that in the current format, Divisional teams will have no time to prepare and will mostly be a mess. This will bring the quality of the competition down enormously and do nothing good for football in the county. Last year divisional teams couldn't have a meeting the week before round 1 as all players had Co League games with their clubs. However the likes of Mid Kerry, South Kerry and Shannon Rangers managed to get through all that and added massively to the latter end of the competition, which, lets be honest is where most of the crowds will attend, most of the media focus will be etc..
    If you have a straight knockout championship, the quality of it will decrease. It is already on a worrying slide in my view, so we should aim to give the divisional teams a fair chance to compete and in the long run all will benefit.

Most of the clubs are missing all their county players during the summer as well as those gone abroad for work (intercounty managers are understandable reluctant to release them). The early rounds of the County Championship are generally farcical. The proposed revamp of the County Championship (it was put back for discussion until after Congress, to see if the proposed calendar year rule passes) includes a preliminary round between the two weakest divisional teams (based on their three year statistical record) playing off and that weekend is to be kept completely free for county championship teams to train - including all inter-county and college players to be released (because sure, that's going to be as rigidly enforced as the muscles of my arse after a hot curry).
    In my view the quality of the games in the County Championship has been on the slide for an awful long time....actually, pretty much since the introduction of the back door. I honestly think that the Intermediate Championship is a far more interesting and exciting competition. Desmonds one point win over Waterville was possibly the most exciting game played in Kerry last year - and that was in the first round of a knockout competition. Remember also that Kerry clubs always have a good chance of reaching the latter stages of the All Ireland competitions - that's not arrogance, I'm simply looking at our historical record over the past decade. Right now things are too convoluted.
    "the latter end of the competition, which, lets be honest is where most of the crowds will attend, most of the media focus will be etc.."
    That's exactly my point. The first rounds are turgid affairs where most of the excitement is based on which club teams will fall into the relegation play-off and divisional teams are only gearing up for the real business later on - the knockout stages. That's when it gets exciting - and that's why I'd like it to be knockout right from the word go. I hope I'm not wearing nostalgia glasses when I look back to the eighties, where the crime rate was higher, child abuse was regularly covered up, homophobia was standard, emigration was the main career opportunity, spaghetti bolognese was exotic cuisine, and Miley tentatively trying to hold Biddy's hand was the raciest storyline on television - and the County Championship wasn't always great quality but was hugely exciting. I remember West Kerry twice beating fancied Crokes' sides by a point in round one and Shannon Rangers, inspired by John Kennedy, being absolutely robbed of a win over a star-studded East Kerry side by a referee who found a mysterious 8 minutes of injury time for East Kerry to get an equaliser. John Bubbles Hegarty's overhead kick goal for Mitchels to knock out Austin Stacks (mind you, we had Baywatch by then. I was fascinated by the intricate plotlines). These are the games that I want to see, I can remember them better than the vast majority of County Championship games over the past few years.

^^^^
    "Most clubs are missing their county players..." etc..

So what? 30 players out of a thousand or so missing for league games (they must be released for all championship games) and you want to stop everything for 3 months? Ridiculous idea to be frank and I can only hope the powers that be aren't thinking this way.

You also mentioned players going away for the Summer. I think part of the problem is that the board seem to be pandering to this small group of mainly students who get recruited to play in the U.S for the Summer..fair play to them, don't begrudge them. But what about the vast majority of players at home who are fit and have the best possible conditions to play in? You can't hold them or competitions up for a small minority of players heading abroad.

You seem to contradict yourself on the county championship aswell, saying in round 1 divisional teams are "waiting to get serious"...When, even under the current situation a team could play round 1 on a Sunday, lose and have to play round 2 maybe 6 days later which if they lose they are gone..in May/Early June!
    As I've said, it is far harder to organise and generate interest/spirit in divisional teams. Giving them no time to prepare for 1 game and then dumping them out if they lose it is going to do nothing for those teams OR the quality of the championship.
    Can't believe people wanting to back to straight knockout to be honest.

• Advertisement

Fair enough, we simply have different opinions, no harm in that.

I'm eagerly awaiting Keane's review of "Rockumentary"..the award winning review of Austin Stacks year. 5 stars Keano? :pac:

In other news, IT Tralee play UCC in McGrath Cup semi final in Dromthacker at 7.30pm tomorrow night. Lot of Kerry players involved on both sides in that one.

I'm eagerly awaiting Keane's review of "Rockumentary"..the award winning review of Austin Stacks year. 5 stars Keano? :pac:

Just when you think they can't be any more obnoxious and contemptible.

Death's too good for them.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Just when you think they can't be any more obnoxious and contemptible.

Death's too good for them.
    Ah sure if it was Strand Road you'd be calling for an Oscar nom :D

D'Agger wrote: »
    Ah sure if it was Strand Road you'd be calling for an Oscar nom :D

It would just never happen. Only the Rock would do something like that. They are the worst.

It would just never happen. Only the Rock would do something like that. They are the worst.

Oscar noms are hard to come by in fairness :pac:

It does seem incredibly self serving but I'm sure the Rockies won't give a shít, especially if it actually brings in some small bit of revenue for them.

At the end of the day there's only one place to beat them

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JFlah

Strand road would do it if they had enough content to include !!

I really don't see the problem with any club making a documentary/record of their year that features their own players and supporters and used to raise funds for a club. REGARDLESS of how much you despise the club involved... then again IBROX was always a bitter spot ;)

Dr. Crokes did a documentary DVD the last two years, I think they sold it for a tenner to club members

himself123 wrote: »
    Dr. Crokes did a documentary DVD the last two years, I think they sold it for a tenner to club members

Not a "rockumentary" no? How surprising!

• Advertisement

Not a "rockumentary" no? How surprising!
    Nah I think they called it 'You all hate us and we love it'....or something

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement