Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Some serious losses to a panel right there!

On the plus side, gives fellas like Dathai Casey and other panel members who've been knocking on the door the past few years a chance to prove themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

D'Agger wrote: »
    Some serious losses to a panel right there!

On the plus side, gives fellas like Dathai Casey and other panel members who've been knocking on the door the past few years a chance to prove themselves

You'd have some quality game between the team listed and the 15 lads missing I'd say (were the injured lads fit obviously)

The good news is that a serious chunk of the lads missing sound like they'll be back by the time of the round 3 games.

The 6 defenders aren't the most experienced and when you look at the options on the bench it shows that there is a distinct lack of options there at the moment with Marc, Aidan, Killian and Peter all out injured.

Luckily Mayo are missing a number of there big hitters as well so it should be a competitive game. Good to have the proper business back in action - summer won't be long coming now ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    You'd have some quality game between the team listed and the 15 lads missing I'd say (were the injured lads fit obviously)

The good news is that a serious chunk of the lads missing sound like they'll be back by the time of the round 3 games.

The 6 defenders aren't the most experienced and when you look at the options on the bench it shows that there is a distinct lack of options there at the moment with Marc, Aidan, Killian and Peter all out injured.

Luckily Mayo are missing a number of there big hitters as well so it should be a competitive game. Good to have the proper business back in action - summer won't be long coming now ;)

I think what makes the loss of the players mentioned above that little bit tougher is their versatility - all those players are comfortable playing centrally or on the flanks....with maybe the exception of Mahony but he can still play FB or CB

We've not just lost players, we've lost big options in how we line out

Still, like I said, always good to see what's available with regard to the panel

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Axel Lamp wrote: »
    Fir Ionaid:

16. Shane Murphy Kilcummin

17. Jack Sherwood Firies

18. DaithI Casey Dr Crokes

19. Tommy Walsh Kerins O’Rahillys

20. Padraig Ó Conchúir Dingle

21. Thomas Hickey Desmonds

22. Philip O’Connor Cordal

23. Alan Fitzgerald Castlegregory

24. Jack Maguire Listowel Emmets

25. Conor Keane Killarney Legion

Philip O Connor don't think ive seen him play,is he a back or a forward lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Philip O Connor don't think ive seen him play,is he a back or a forward lads?

Corner Forward. Was excellent for Kerry Juniors in 2013 when I saw him and was very good for Kierans in quite a few games in recent times aswell.

Would have thought he is a bit light for this level unless he has put on a good bit of bulk..but willing to give a guy a chance anyway.

That being said, the obvious forwards who deserve a go based on recent form, to me, are Conor Cox and Gavan O'Grady..and I'm not sure why neither of them are in the squad.

• Advertisement

Corner Forward. Was excellent for Kerry Juniors in 2013 when I saw him and was very good for Kierans in quite a few games in recent times aswell.

Would have thought he is a bit light for this level unless he has put on a good bit of bulk..but willing to give a guy a chance anyway.

That being said, the obvious forwards who deserve a go based on recent form, to me, are Conor Cox and Gavan O'Grady..and I'm not sure why neither of them are in the squad.

Ya was thinking the same re Cox and O Grady,maybe they are been left out due to college commitments?

Ya was thinking the same re Cox and O Grady,maybe they are been left out due to college commitments?

O'Grady left college 2 years ago and 3 of Cox's current UCC team mates are in the Kerry squad, so doubt that's the reason.

Cox has been playing football non stop if you take in account club games with Listowel in the NK Championship and then the college games in the McGrath Cup and now the Sigerson.

Congrats to Brosna won the replay today against Rock

Brosna 1-8

Rock 0-7

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Poor fair today.

Mayo very sharp. Looked really fit and deserved their 7 point win, which could have been more if they had stuck away the 2 goal chances before half time.

Hope Evan Regan is ok. Got an awful hop off the ground. Ronaldson hammered PA Kilkenny. Kieran O'Leary was quite poor and Buckley was very sloppy. Sheehan only lasted till half time.

Jack Sherwood and BJK played well, and Moran was excellent.

A lot of work to do, we need to win one of our two next games really.

EDIT: Made comments about Deegans performance but it makes the post sound bitter, which I am not. Lets just say Deegans balanced Reillys performance out.

• Advertisement

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Deegans arm was magnetically pointing towards the Kerry goals today.

Take the Blinkers off before you drive home.:rolleyes:

Take the Blinkers off before you drive home.:rolleyes:

You are entitled to your opinion, but Deegans was very poor in my opinion. It wasn't the frees that were given to Mayo it was the frees that weren't given to Kerry. Kerry had a number of frees given against them for overcarrying despite being surrounded and being pulled and dragged, where he was giving them to Mayo. Very inconsistent. The incident where Tommy Walsh got injured was a clear as day push in the back as well.

As I said Mayo were good value for their 7 point victory. The referee didn't affect the result, but I'd imagine the free count was fairly imbalanced.

We won't dwell on it, well beaten by a better, hungrier and a fitter team. Some lovely scores from Mayo, Conroy and McLoughlins goal was top class.

As I said, I'm not whinging. That's football sometimes the calls go in your favour, sometimes they don't.

You are entitled to your opinion, but Deegans was very poor in my opinion. It wasn't the frees that were given to Mayo it was the frees that weren't given to Kerry. Kerry had a number of frees given against them for overcarrying despite being surrounded and being pulled and dragged, where he was giving them to Mayo. Very inconsistent. The incident where Tommy Walsh got injured was a clear as day push in the back as well.

As I said Mayo were good value for their 7 point victory. The referee didn't affect the result, but I'd imagine the free count was fairly imbalanced.

We won't dwell on it, well beaten by a better, hungrier and a fitter team. Some lovely scores from Mayo, Conroy and McLoughlins goal was top class.

As I said, I'm not whinging. That's football sometimes the calls go in your favour, sometimes they don't.

There was several bad calls including a clear Mayo penalty. Players picked the ball off the ground a dozen times without any frees given with alot of cynical digs been given all over. The constant dragging of players reduced it as a spectacle and gave the advantage to those committing the fouls. The referring standard simply isn't good enough and its too easy for players to fool the refs. Maybe its time for two refs on the pitch. You may as well replace the umpires with two cameras for all the good they are.

As for honorary Kerryman Reilly at least the GAA have had the sense to demote him after last years shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,128 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I though Deegan was more favorable to Mayo to be honest, he seemed to give them frees easier, but that was just my opinion from watching it on TV.

For a Mayo point of view its good to have an away win in the bag.

What do Kerry folk make of it ?.
    On Radio Kerry Billy O Shea was very much saying that it doesn't matter, but Ambrose was far more critical of the performances of guys who had been give a chance today

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Thought Deegan had had a stroke at one stage as he seemed to be only able to lift one of his arms.

I though Deegan was more favorable to Mayo to be honest, he seemed to give them frees easier, but that was just my opinion from watching it on TV.

For a Mayo point of view its good to have an away win in the bag.

What do Kerry folk make of it ?.
    On Radio Kerry Billy O Shea was very much saying that it doesn't matter, but Ambrose was far more critical of the performances of guys who had been give a chance today

I think we were beaten by the better team. We were not sharp and our half forwards were well beaten. I'm disappointed with the result. I thought we had a good enough team out to win that game, but on the day Mayo performed and we didn't.

I never like being beaten, but no complaints when you are beaten by a better team.

Hope Tommy is ok, had his Achilles strapped up after the game.

Any word on Evan Regan. Looked very nasty.

@Mayomafia I agree that there were some decisions that didn't go Mayos way as well. Degans inconsistency was the root of my frustrations. I think Mayo picked up frees easier, especially in the scoring zone. You are right that 2 referees are needed. It works well for the international rules, and helps watch the off the ball stuff. The only issue I'd have with Mayo today was Vaughan's dive, which I'm sure he'll get a ribbing from the lads about. They played the game the right way. They were physical without being dirty and dominated the game, apart from 15mins after half time.

Any word on Evan Regan. Looked very nasty.
    Apparently in Tralee hospital with concussion and broken collar bone.:(

Fitzgerald and Murphy were fairly decorated on first viewing.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Fitzgerald and Murphy were fairly decorated on first viewing.

Decorated? Like destroyed?

I thought they both played well.

Or is this some Paul Galvin fashion terminology? ;) I loved the way Fionn matched his Under Armour with his shorts. And Murphy's boots just added a certain Je ne sais quoi to an otherwise dour affair!

:P

Or is this some Paul Galvin fashion terminology? ;) I loved the way Fionn matched his Under Armour with his shorts. And Murphy's boots just added a certain Je ne sais quoi to an otherwise dour affair!

Fionn was definitely destroyed, had a very embarrassing effort against Conroy in the second half where he was five yards off for the first ball, then was turned and strolled passed after Conroy had gathered.

Murphy caught very badly for the second goal. Thought he was pretty bad all through but stand to be corrected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

keane2097 wrote: »
    Fionn was definitely destroyed, had a very embarrassing effort against Conroy in the second half where he was five yards off for the first ball, then was turned and strolled passed after Conroy had gathered.

Murphy caught very badly for the second goal. Thought he was pretty bad all through but stand to be corrected.
    I dunno, Murphy seemed to be on plenty ball n was making all his passes.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Murphy was blocked by the man off the ball, as he followed his man which allowed the clear path to goal. A great finish though all the same.

Mayo were well worth their win in all fairness. I thought Deegan was awful, but our half forward line was even worse.

Fionn got cleaned out in my opinion, as did Pa Kilkenny. O Leary got on some great ball, but wasted a lot of it.

Highlights for me were Davids display at midfield, and when Tommy came midfield with him. They dominated for a 10-15 minute period, it looks a real exciting combination with two lads that Im sure know every inch of each others game playing together all their lives. Jack Sherwood was also impressive.

No need for either team to get too excited, it's only February.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

Timmy welsh could have been sent off for a challenge on one of the mayo fellas early in the second half,

Jesus man, Fionn was destroyed, riddled, burned..whatever way you want to put it. Half way through the second half Conroy got a point where he waltzed around him twice like he wasn't there!
    Doesn't really surprise me in the circumstances and I've huge time for Fionn as a player.

Game overall wasn't hectic, expected the result. Great to see Tommy back in a Kerry jersey and making big catches. There's a foundation there to build on anyway.
    Have a few strong opinions on some of the fellas who played today but wild hold fire until we see a few rounds of the league, not just the first one.

Derry away and Dublin coming up so it's not going to be easy to pick up points there. Dublin will target the Kerry game to get a full strength 15 or thereabouts on the field no doubt.

Timmy welsh could have been sent off for a challenge on one of the mayo fellas early in the second half,

Who is this "Timmy" you refer to?..

I love these lads who come onto a thread and the only comment they make is "X is useless" or some such vapid nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭acequion

Was there today and the big highlight for me was seeing Tommy Walsh back in a Kerry jersey,albeit a blue one. Tommy's catches at midfield were a joy to watch and a harbinger of good things to come.

We were poor today,ok. But it's only the February after a hugely successful 2014 season,so glass half to three quarters full folks!:pac:

Jesus man, Fionn was destroyed, riddled, burned..whatever way you want to put it. Half way through the second half Conroy got a point where he waltzed around him twice like he wasn't there!
    Doesn't really surprise me in the circumstances and I've huge time for Fionn as a player.

Game overall wasn't hectic, expected the result. Great to see Tommy back in a Kerry jersey and making big catches. There's a foundation there to build on anyway.
    Have a few strong opinions on some of the fellas who played today but wild hold fire until we see a few rounds of the league, not just the first one.

Derry away and Dublin coming up so it's not going to be easy to pick up points there. Dublin will target the Kerry game to get a full strength 15 or thereabouts on the field no doubt.

Yeah fair enough. I was at the town end, so I didn't have a great view of the backs in the second half. In the first half he was pretty good, getting hands in and beating holding the fort well.

Kilkenny was taken to the cleaners from what I could see.

However it all stemmed from a lack of bite in the half forwards. Mayo were able to rain balls in at will and Freeman, Ronaldson and Conroy had plenty of ball to play with.

Yeah fair enough. I was at the town end, so I didn't have a great view of the backs in the second half. In the first half he was pretty good, getting hands in and beating holding the fort well.

Kilkenny was taken to the cleaners from what I could see.

However it all stemmed from a lack of bite in the half forwards. Mayo were able to rain balls in at will and Freeman, Ronaldson and Conroy had plenty of ball to play with.

Yeah you're right about Kilkenny aswell. He's gone back a bit in my eyes. Was poor in both county finals I thought. Jack Sherwood isn't an inter-county defender either and this was clearly visible again today.

Yeah you're right about Kilkenny aswell. He's gone back a bit in my eyes. Was poor in both county finals I thought. Jack Sherwood isn't an inter-county defender either and this was clearly visible again today.

That's gas. I thought Sherwood had a decent game, but isn't a Centre Back. He marked Gallagher totally out of the game, but Mayo streamed through the middle. Crowley or O'Mahoney would have made shíte of lads coming through the middle, where Sherwood doesn't have that physicality, though he's bulked right up since last year.

• Advertisement

Management need to have a think about the value of blowing a team out of the skies if teams are just going to surround the high fielder with five or six guys and refs are going to let them all poke and prod at him like Deegan did yesterday.

Some of the frees that were given to the Mayo forward line looked very soft compared to what David Moran was dealing with when "over-carrying".

There were a couple of years when refs seemed to have been given instructions to give the benefit of the doubt to fielders in these situations I guess to incentivize fielding and discourage hordes of guys milling around the middle, conceding the high ball and rushing in when the player in possession hits the ground.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement