Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Great to be in another final it's a hard one to call 20 min in to dublin donegal game I said that was the last we will see of the blanket defence but how wrong i was that game reminded of 78 final when dublin were steam rolling kerry and forgot to mind the house at the back and kerry won well in the end I hope kerry will go toe to toe with donegal man for man and play our own game that has stood us well down through the years

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Kerryfootball

kerryjack wrote: »
    Great to be in another final it's a hard one to call 20 min in to dublin donegal game I said that was the last we will see of the blanket defence but how wrong i was that game reminded of 78 final when dublin were steam rolling kerry and forgot to mind the house at the back and kerry won well in the end I hope kerry will go toe to toe with donegal man for man and play our own game that has stood us well down through the years

KerryJack , while I'd love to see that too, if we do play like that we will loose.
    We need to play defensively and suck Donegal out.
    Please god we do it...
    We

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Darragh Ó Sé nailed it imo in his piece in The Times: we need to marginalise Michael Murphy's influence on the game and turnover ball when Donegal attack, then hit accurate kick passes into the full forwards before they can transition back into their defensive shape. Getting Moran and Buckley onto ball in the midfield will be key so they can supply JOD et al.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭darragh_haven

Ye are fighting a lost cause..... all is lost.

Brian Cuthbert just tipped ye to win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

I think Kerry will have most of the possession in this game. I see David Moran having another horse of a game at midfield.

Is it wrong to compare Donegal to Mourinho's Chelsea? Or more accurately Mourinho's Inter? I know they are completely different sports. But Donegal will park 2 or 3 buses on front of goal, allow Kerry have lots of possession and try to hit them on the counter. This is why I genuinely hope Kerry win, as it will be a win for football as opposed to a win for "systems".

If Donegal win, next year you will see every manager trying 13 defenders behind the ball, and I think we all would hate to see that. Why don't Donegal go the whole way and put 15 men in defence?

I hope Donaghy and O'Donaghoe rip them to shreds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Any truth in the rumours of a fella caught up a tree watching kerry train

That depends, what's your source?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

Strongly rumoured. What you hear

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kerrycork13

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I heard nothing.
    Strongly rumoured where exactly? Amongst your friends? On Facebook? Be specific please

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

realweirdo wrote: »

Is it wrong to compare Donegal to Mourinho's Chelsea? Or more accurately Mourinho's Inter? I know they are completely different sports. But Donegal will park 2 or 3 buses on front of goal, allow Kerry have lots of possession and try to hit them on the counter. This is why I genuinely hope Kerry win, as it will be a win for football as opposed to a win for "systems".

If Donegal win, next year you will see every manager trying 13 defenders behind the ball, and I think we all would hate to see that. Why don't Donegal go the whole way and put 15 men in defence?

Sorry but I find this sort of comment a little bit like sour grapes.

Although I live in Donegal (Derry by birth), I am by no means a GAA fan but of course I will be cheering on Donegal this weekend.

This sort of chat was fine in 2011 when McGuinness had them playing ultra defensive football, based mostly on stopping the opposition playing. But that changed the following year, when he added the attacking element too, and added it well.

It still applies today. Donegal have a strong defence but they also attack well too, from all over the pitch. This nonsense that they play anti-football doesn't hold water now, even Spillane has had to back down from that belief. Did you even watch the game v Dublin, they blitzed them, supposedly the best team ever to play the game. And of course they defended solidly, whats wrong with that? If you think Donegal are the only team who play 'a system' as you call it, then you are sadly mistaken. Its not like all the other counties play sexy football and Donegal play a system! Get over yourselves, would ye's.

They said that if Donegal won in 2012 then everyone would play like them. Some teams definitely did change their style but in any sport defence is important. Every team has tactics and a 'system' that they work on. They have defensive coaches and tactics, just that Donegal do it better than most.

I would say the whole of the country bar Donegal was cheering on Dublin a few weeks back. We tend to get used to the anti-Donegal stuff up here, but I really hope Donegal put on a great display on Sunday and pummel Kerry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I think Kerry will have most of the possession in this game. I see David Moran having another horse of a game at midfield.

Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭munster87

NIMAN wrote: »

Although I live in Donegal (Derry by birth), I am by no means a GAA fan but of course I will be cheering on Donegal this weekend.

This sort of chat was fine in 2011 when McGuinness had them playing ultra defensive football, based mostly on stopping the opposition playing. But that changed the following year, when he added the attacking element too, and added it well.

It still applies today. Donegal have a strong defence but they also attack well too, from all over the pitch. This nonsense that they play anti-football doesn't hold water now, even Spillane has had to back down from that belief. Did you even watch the game v Dublin, they blitzed them, supposedly the best team ever to play the game. And of course they defended solidly, whats wrong with that? If you think Donegal are the only team who play 'a system' as you call it, then you are sadly mistaken. Its not like all the other counties play sexy football and Donegal play a system! Get over yourselves, would ye's.

They said that if Donegal won in 2012 then everyone would play like them. Some teams definitely did change their style but in any sport defence is important. Every team has tactics and a 'system' that they work on. They have defensive coaches and tactics, just that Donegal do it better than most.

I would say the whole of the country bar Donegal was cheering on Dublin a few weeks back. We tend to get used to the anti-Donegal stuff up here, but I really hope Donegal put on a great display on Sunday and pummel Kerry.

Realistically I'd say alot of neutrals were actually cheering on Donegal, as they will be again this Sunday. Yer not as disliked as some others!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

NIMAN wrote: »

ah come off it ffs, Donegals system is as puke football as football comes.

13 men behind the ball? its completely awful and horrific to watch - if they were a proper team they'd go out and take kerry on man to man, like it would be if it was Kerry V Dublin, Kerry V Mayo, Mayo v Dublin etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Ye are fighting a lost cause..... all is lost.

Brian Cuthbert just tipped ye to win

Seeing as Kerry beat his Cork team by 12 points, he'd look a right fool if he went with Donegal in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

ah come off it ffs, Donegals system is as puke football as football comes.

13 men behind the ball? its completely awful and horrific to watch - if they were a proper team they'd go out and take kerry on man to man, like it would be if it was Kerry V Dublin, Kerry V Mayo, Mayo v Dublin etc etc.

I suppose ye switched over at HT of the Donegal v Dublin game as ye couldn't take the puke football no more:rolleyes:

I think we're getting a bit carried away with ourselves here, Kerry have been very defensive this year. I certainly haven't seen them play man-to-man in the championship to date. I believe Cork attempted to do that against us and look how that turned out, Galway also play something close to 15 v 15 and while it looks great against the lesser teams, it just doesn't cut it at the top end.

I'm very happy with the way Kerry have played this year. It is defensive, but the way we've used accurate kick passes in to our excellent forwards as well as having midfielders plucking balls out of the sky ticks enough of the purist boxes for me. I also think that the way we've displayed these skills has clouded some peoples perceptions of our game-plan, making it seem as if we're not employing the blanket-defence because we don't hand pass the ball to death, which has been synonymous with that style of play.

Basically I don't think there's as much of difference between the two teams' tactics as some here seem to be saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

shiibata wrote: »
    I suppose ye switched over at HT of the Donegal v Dublin game as ye couldn't take the puke football no more:rolleyes:
    Didn't even watch the first half either, tbh.

Ulster football is overtly physical (for reference see any Tyrone match) and it had dragged the rest of the country in that direction.

At this stage, i would have to be paid to watch an Ulster team play but that's just my preference:P

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

shiibata wrote: »

I don't agree with the notion that Donegal's style is awful, but as the saying goes in boxing, styles make fights.
    Donegal-Dublin was great to watch because of the contrasting styles, but the Ulster final was a dreadful game of football, because Monaghan were using a similiar, albeit inferior, strategy to Donegal.

The Donegal style is not awful but its anti-football to a point. There's no real attempt to play 15 against 15. Its basically crowd the first third of the field and see what the other team can do..Its effective but then so was mourinho and so are many teams to a point who adopt an ultra defensive, hit them on the break style. Its a new brand of football, ultra blanket defence. Like I said its a victory for systems over individual skill. At least in the Mayo game you had lots of great match ups which decided the course of the game. You won't really see that in the final. Make no mistake it will be a good game but if Donegal win lets hope 13 behind the ball doesnt take hold.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

national football league fixtures already out!

we start against Mayo on feb 1st.

Have also got Donegal, Dublin and Monaghan at home - Derry, Cork and Tyrone away.

looks an excellent set up - full fixtures here.

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/2015-football-league-fixtures-1677487-Sep2014/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I actually can't take this waiting. Being two weeks off the fags probably not helping but I'm going maaaaad :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭flasher0030

The Donegal style is not awful but its anti-football to a point. There's no real attempt to play 15 against 15. Its basically crowd the first third of the field and see what the other team can do..Its effective but then so was mourinho and so are many teams to a point who adopt an ultra defensive, hit them on the break style. Its a new brand of football, ultra blanket defence. Like I said its a victory for systems over individual skill. At least in the Mayo game you had lots of great match ups which decided the course of the game. You won't really see that in the final. Make no mistake it will be a good game but if Donegal win lets hope 13 behind the ball doesnt take hold.

By what right do people on here consider that they have the definition of what football is or more to the point, what anti-football is. In simple terms (and open to correction), football is a teamsport, with the objective being to outscore the opposition. And there are rules in place to keep some form of order. After that, it is completely up to either side what tactics they use. There is no such thing as anti-football styles. One person’s joy to watch could be high-fielding midfielders supplying ball to a high-fielding full forward. Another person’s joy could be a systematic running game. It doesn’t make one or the other wrong or anti-football.

I’m not from Donegal, but having watched both semis, I got more enjoyment from watching Donegal’s intense running game, the teamwork, discipline and cuteness that they showed in overcoming the so-called best team ever, than watching the Kerry tactic which was primarily kicking a high ball into the full-forward, having him catch it and outmuscle the full back and lay it off for another forward to tap over. There is nothing in the latter style of football that excites me. That being said, I do not think that the Kerry style is anti-football – it just playing to ones strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

You don't need to make believe that all Kerry did in the Gaelic Grounds was pump long ball in all day to defend the Donegal system.

lol at whoever was calling Dublin the greatest team ever after 2 All Irelands.

lol at whoever was calling Dublin the greatest team ever after 2 All Irelands.

Indeed. They won both finals by one point margins. Kerry should have ran away with the 2011 final to be honest, how they let Dublin back in I'll never know. The same last year with Mayo, Mayo could have won easily if they didn't allow the usual nerves get the better of them.

I'd rate the current Donegal team as better on the all time list of teams, also the Tyrone and Kerry teams of the 2000s, and Meath and Cork of the late 80s and early 90s.

Dublin will waltz through Leinster again next year but will struggle against a proper team.

By what right do people on here consider that they have the definition of what football is or more to the point, what anti-football is. In simple terms (and open to correction), football is a teamsport, with the objective being to outscore the opposition. And there are rules in place to keep some form of order. After that, it is completely up to either side what tactics they use. There is no such thing as anti-football styles. One person’s joy to watch could be high-fielding midfielders supplying ball to a high-fielding full forward. Another person’s joy could be a systematic running game. It doesn’t make one or the other wrong or anti-football.

I would define anti-football as stopping the other team playing free flowing football, and crowding them out. Imagine a small five a side pitch. And putting about 30 players onto that pitch. Inevitably its going to get very crowded and no-one gets time or space to do anything. As soon as a talented player gets on the ball, he's immediately surrounded by 4 or 5 opposing players. Its very effective. But at least Dublin, Mayo and Galway allow opposing teams to play football, sometimes to their own detriment. I know Donegal have good attackers now, but they still retain the ultra defensive model.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,028 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think we're getting a bit carried away with ourselves here, Kerry have been very defensive this year. I certainly haven't seen them play man-to-man in the championship to date. I believe Cork attempted to do that against us and look how that turned out, Galway also play something close to 15 v 15 and while it looks great against the lesser teams, it just doesn't cut it at the top end.

I'm very happy with the way Kerry have played this year. It is defensive, but the way we've used accurate kick passes in to our excellent forwards as well as having midfielders plucking balls out of the sky ticks enough of the purist boxes for me. I also think that the way we've displayed these skills has clouded some peoples perceptions of our game-plan, making it seem as if we're not employing the blanket-defence because we don't hand pass the ball to death, which has been synonymous with that style of play.

Basically I don't think there's as much of difference between the two teams' tactics as some here seem to be saying.

Agree, but sure don't let the truth get in the way of a good moan about Donegal.

Same as 2011 when Dublin beat Donegal, the media was full of rants about Donegal's defensive style of play, yet none of them failed to mention the fact that Dublin played very defensively that day too.

But it wouldn't be proper to slag of the Dubs, would it?

The bottom line as many are saying is winning. Its a team game, and whether you like it or not, a tactical game. Even Dublin and Kerry, the so-called exponents of free-flowing football, have tactics. Mc Guinness couldn't give a toss about whether he is entertaining you or not. And the Donegal fans couldn't care either. Its about winning Sam's for a county that doesn't normally compete. And whether you like it or not McGuinness will go down as a legend in Donegal. He changed the game. If it had not been him, then someone else would have done it eventually.

And in his defence, he could have stuck with his 2011 style of play, but he perfected that, then looked at how his team could attack and score more. And he perfected that too. For me, he has to be admired.

Looking forward to the exciting, free-flowing Kerry football on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Kerry Minor Team Named and the Kerry Gaa site crashes! :P

Hope its up for when the Senior team is named.

The Kerry Minor Team for All Ireland Final is announced:
    Kerry Minor Team v Donegal
    Electric Ireland GAA Football All Ireland Championship Final 2014
    The Kerry Minor Team to play Donegal in the Electric Ireland GAA Minor Football Championship Final in Croke Park on Sunday next shows one change in personnel from the side that defeated Mayo in the semi final. Spa’s Liam Kearney comes into the full forward line to captain the side replacing Jordan Kiely.
    The team will line out as follows:
    1 Shane Ryan Rathmore
    2 Dan O’Donoghue Spa
    3 Brian Ó Beaglaioch An Ghaeltacht
    4 Tom O’Sullivan Dingle
    5 Brian Sugrue Renard
    6 Andrew Barry Na Gaeil
    7 Cormac Coffey Kerins O’Rahillys
    8 Barry O’Sullivan Dingle
    9 Mark O’Connor Dingle
    10 Micheál Burns Dr Crokes
    11 Brian Rayel Lispole
    12 Matthew Flaherty Dingle
    13 Killian Spillane Templenoe
    14 Liam Kearney Spa (Capt)
    15 Tomás Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    Fir Ionaid
    16 Eoin O’Connell St Senans
    17 Jordan Kiely Dr Crokes
    18 Liam Carey Beaufort
    19 Stephen O’Sullivan Templenoe
    20 Robert Wharton Renard
    21 Ivan Parker Churchill
    22 Jack Morgan Austin Stacks
    23 Roibeard Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    24 Jason Foley Ballydonoghue
    Bainistíocht:
    Bainisteoir: Jack O’Connor (Dromid Pearses)
    Roghnoirí: Micheál O’Shea (Castlegregory), John Galvin (Dr Crokes), Eamon Whelan (St Senans).
    Tréanálaithe: Alan O’Sullivan and Arthur Fitzgerald.
    Logistics: Ger O’Mahony
    Physio: Kieran O’Shea
    Doctor: Dr Dave Geaney
    Extended Training Panel Members
    Sean Ryan Austin Stacks
    Gavin White Dr. Crokes
    Cathal Bambury Dingle
    Aaron Murphy Dr Crokes
    Brian Ó Seanacháin Ballydonoghue
    Conor Geaney Dingle

Minor team.

Not long till we get the Seniors. Delighted for Andrew Barry from my own club. Best of luck to the lads.

Get in early and give them good support.

• Advertisement

The Kerry Senior team for All Ireland Final is as follows:

Kerry Senior Football Team V Donegal
    All Ireland Senior Final 2014

The Kerry Senior Football Team to play Donegal in the All Ireland Senior Football Championship Final on Sunday shows two changes in personnel from the side that started the semi final replay against Mayo.
    Marc Ó Sé, introduced as a substitute in the Gaelic Grounds, retains his place in the full back line at the expense of Shane Enright and Stephen O’Brien, recovered from injury, comes into the half forward line in place of Michael Geaney.
    The team, captained by Fionn Fitzgerald lines out as follows:
    1. Brian Kelly Killarney Legion
    2. Marc Ó Sé An Ghaeltacht
    3. Aidan O’Mahony Rathmore
    4. Fionn Fitzgerald (Capt) Dr Crokes
    5. Paul Murphy Rathmore
    6. Peter Crowley Laune Rangers
    7. Killian Young Renard
    8. Anthony Maher Duagh
    9. David Moran Kerins O’Rahillys
    10. Stephen O’Brien Kenmare
    11. Johnny Buckley Dr Crokes
    12. Donnchadh Walsh Cromane
    13. Paul Geaney Dingle
    14. Kieran Donaghy Austin Stacks
    15. James O’Donoghue Killarney Legion
    Fir Ionaid :
    16. Brendan Kealy Kilcummin
    17. Shane Enright Tarbert
    18. Michael Geaney Dingle
    19. Declan O’Sullivan Dromid Pearses
    20. Bryan Sheehan St Marys
    21. Barry John Keane Kerins O’Rahillys
    22. Darran O’Sullivan Glenbeigh-Glencar
    23. Kieran O’Leary Dr Crokes
    24. Jonathan Lyne Killarney Legion
    25. Mark Griffin St Michaels/Foilmore
    26. Pa Kilkenny Glenbeigh/Glencar

Bainisteóir: Eamonn Fitzmaurice (Finuge)
    Traenálaí: Cian O’Neill (Moorefield, Kildare)
    Róghnóirí: Diarmuid Murphy (Dingle), Mikey Sheehy (Austin Stacks).

Additional Panel Players
    27. Alan Fitzgerald Castlegregory
    28. Colm Cooper Dr Crokes
    29. Jack Sherwood Firies
    30. Daithí Casey Dr Crokes
    31. Paul O’Donoghue St Marys
    32. Shane O’Callaghan Austin Stacks
    33. Marcus Mangan Milltown-Castlemaine
    34. Fearghal McNamara Austin Stacks

* Stephen O'Brien (Kenmare) was a Kerry Minor panellist in 2009 and played Under 21 with the County in 2011 and 2012. He is the holder of a Cork Senior Football Championship medal and a Sigerson Cup medal, both with UCC (2011). He holds Kerry and Munster Junior Championship medals with his club. He made his AFL debut in the opening Round against Dublin this year and made his championship debut against Clare in this year's Munster semi final. Missed the Qtr Final and semi final replay through injury.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement