Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Power Gear wrote: »

did he not win an intermediate all ireland with foilmore aswell? i remeber they hamered our club in a munster final down in mallow a few years ago i am sure he was involved that time his two sons were playing that day

well done today kerry were the best team in the country over the championship people were blinded by dublin and there performances in there piss poor leinster championship , kerry went out to play football today just a pity donegal didnt we all know they are well able to, and while it was a poor game to watch , winning all irelands is not for pleasing neutrals

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

Stinicker wrote: »
    I'm going to the hill tomorrow, last time I was there Kerry won in 2009, I have been in the hill in 2000, 04, 06, 07, & 09 on Final day, every time I went to the stands we lost in 2002, 2005, 2008, 2011 and in 2012 & 2013 also, in 2010 I was abroad and missed the Down V Kerry game.

I also found a lucky Kerry hat today which I couldn't find since the 2010 Munster Semi-Final Replay in Pairc ui Chaoimh which Kerry won after extra time. In 2009 we also had an Indian summer and we made Hay in the week before the All-Ireland, same thing again this year. I have alot of Kerry footballing habits now and I think we can do it tomorrow which will be my 10th All-Ireland final attending having only missed 1997 as I was too young.

UP THE KINGDOM!!

You on the hill is obviously a lucky omen, but jaysus, surely a close relation should have taken you outside and had you shot when they heard you planned to go to the stands in 2011!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Congratulations. Another one chalked up and won't be the last. We didn't play as we can and as such can't have any complaints about the result only a frustration and 'if onlys' which count for fúck all and which is 100 times worse than had we gone out and just been wiped away by Kerry like Mayo did to us last year.

Heartbroken.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sammy37

Absolutely delighted with the seniors yesterday but one man must get special praise and that is Jack O Connor for his minor success. What a manager and i hope one day he comes back and manages the seniors once more.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

I think this All-Ireland is the most satisfying one since 2000. This team was nowhere after the league, I honestly thought making the semi-final would be a good achievement for them.

They adapted to every challenge they faced. They ruthlessly exposed the Cork and Gaway full back lines, exploited Mayo's inability to deal with the high ball, and smothered Donegal. The younger guys were fearless, the experienced guys came to the fore when the need was greatest, our management team was sublime.

I think what I'll remember most about this year was their refusal to buckle against Mayo. 5 points down with 4 minutes left the first day, 7 points down during the replay, and they just would not fold. The knock on Kerry in the past was that we didn't prevail when the going was really tough. Well the going was seriously tough this year, and we prevailed. So, so proud of this team, and so proud to be a Kerryman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

elguapo wrote: »
    I think this All-Ireland is the most satisfying one since 2000.

sweetest one ever to be honest, its a long time since we were written off this much and came through.

im a broken man today, but in a good way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

sweetest one ever to be honest, its a long time since we were written off this much and came through.

im a broken man today, but in a good way :)

Not the only one,but every pint that was had yesterday was well worth it :D

will Gooch be getting a medal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

will Gooch be getting a medal?

Was trying to figure this - if he was named as an official sub for the Mayo game, which I think he was he's played as much championship football as Brendan Kealy so I think he will receive one.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I think they've cleared things up a lot since the Hassett incident.

Match day 26 get one officially, and county board can order extra ones.

As to who gets credited with one, I couldn't tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Sweetest in order of preference:

1997 (first in my lifetime, well I was about 2 months old the last time we won)

2014 (Never saw it coming and would be lying if I saw us getting any further than a semi final but the players stood up when it was needed and Fitz has shown himself to be superb tactically)

2006 (That game against Armagh was just beautiful- Donaghy and Darren's goals will live long in the memory- I know it wasnt the final but that performance won it for us)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Great day yesterday great relief at final whistle some night last night we took over the capital it's outrageous to think we could win sam after loosing so many great players there is no other team in the world in socker or rugby that could do that

ByIT8L7IcAAxfv9.jpg:large

ByJ_LN3IgAAp-Q9.jpg:large

Oh ya lads channel 191 on Sky tonight at 9pm for live coverage of the homecoming in Killarney

Theres alot of talk about next year and our young team, but our team isnt that young when you look at it.

Marc, aidan, Star, Declan, Sheehan, Gooch, Darran(28) are all around 30+, Killian must be 29.

Have a feeling that we could lose at least 3 more players this year now, especially Declan. The ideal scenario is that they play for another year with 4 or 5 of those minors put into the panel next year and given one season to bed into senior football

• Registered Users Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭wonga77

I think Mahony is 34? Marc 34 also?
    Declan is almost definetly going to retire, no better way to go out I spose

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I think Marc and Declan could go, but I wouldn't say we'll necessarily lose anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I would think Marc, Mahoney and Declan will all be strongly considering retirement, maybe it is a good time to go too, on a winning note. Sometimes losing older players can be a catalyst for young lads to emerge an develop as well (Murphy this year for example when t o'se left). If we have cooper back and maybe even tommy Walsh we will be hard to beat again next year. Full back line looks the biggest worry, but it's one for another day.

I still cannot believe we are champions again, fitzmaurice has pulled off one of the greatest AI wins in history considering what he was up against with injuries and retirements. We had more than our share of luck along the way but the harder you work, the luckier you get they say. Missing the homecoming due to work but hope everybody has a good one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

On a train heading south. Can barely walk, talk or function at all today..but who gives a sh*t..Sam is back in the Kingdom.
    Have to acknowledge, yesterday was a fairly horrible game for the neutral but no apologies for that. When playing Donegal, needs must.
    IMO we were 6 points a better team at least..but it doesn't matter now really. Minor and Senior titles this year...Kerry football in crisis they said!

They should get Brolly to come down and play in the Charity game Wednesday night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

If I was a top footballer in early to mid 30s, the best time to go would be after an AI final win. There's no guarantee Kerry would win next year and its another year in the legs of the older Kerry players. So they'd either retire after being dropped or retire after a bad defeat, either way leaving a bad taste. Surely anyone wants to go out with happy memories and at the top. But Kerry players are mad driven at the same time, more so than any other county. They think they can win every year. Which is why the older players might give it another year.

Fair play to Botty,very good in all fairness,he must be a great lad to have in and around the team,cracking jokes and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

keane2097 wrote: »
    I think Marc and Declan could go, but I wouldn't say we'll necessarily lose anyone else.

I think those 2 and AOM will go

marc and aidan retiring wud be a huge loss, i guess Enright, Griffan and Kilkenny would be the natural replacements.

First 15 wudnt be weakened much, but panel would be. I think a big reason we won the all ireland this year was down to our panel and strength off the bench. The 6 lads that came on yesterday would start for most teams and you still have Gooch, Darran, hopefully Tommy Walsh to come in to that.

I wonder could we make a center back out of one of the half forwards from yesterday?

I would think AOM might stay around. He's been terrific this year, unlike the other two hasn't shown much signs of slowing down. Even Marc tbf has only dropped off slightly, would still be an asset if the body isn't too broke up.

Declan I would say is probably out of road with injuries etc.

Our forward line will be pretty tough to get into next year with Gooch back and very possibly Tommy as well.

marc and aidan retiring wud be a huge loss, i guess Enright, Griffan and Kilkenny would be the natural replacements.

First 15 wudnt be weakened much, but panel would be. I think a big reason we won the all ireland this year was down to our panel and strength off the bench. The 6 lads that came on yesterday would start for most teams and you still have Gooch, Darran, hopefully Tommy Walsh to come in to that.

I wonder could we make a center back out of one of the half forwards from yesterday?

Crowley will be our centre back for the next ten years I would think?

Crowley will be our centre back for the next ten years I would think?

You have the option of playing him and murphy at 5 and 7.

Would Lyne be able to play at wing back?

Our forward line will be pretty tough to get into next year with Gooch back and very possibly Tommy as well.

Is Tommy returning looking likely?

You have the option of playing him and murphy at 5 and 7.

Would Lyne be able to play at wing back?

Lyne was more a back than a forward when he was coming through the underage system as far as I know.
    Is Tommy returning looking likely?

I would say not a certainty but odds on alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭acequion

Didn't get a chance to post until now.What a wonderful day yesterday! What a great homecoming tonight! It really is over the moon stuff and one to savour for many months to come.:):)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement