Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Kerryfootball

I'd disagree quite strongly with that.

Kerry and Donegal's styles are worlds apart. Attack and Defense.

Kerry utilize hand passing out of defense, to long kick passes to the forwards when attacking, sometimes kicking long range scores from out around the 45.

Donegal prefer hard running from Defensive turnovers, with runners off the shoulder, and scoring high percentage points closer to goal.

In defense, Kerry's half forwards drop back, and cover the space, while Maher is detailed as a defensive midfielder, curbing the influence of the opposition's main midfield man. They tend to drift across the field and try to funnel opposition attackers into tight spaces, and the backs play from the front to stop kick passes in front of their men.

Donegal, rush 13 outfield players back towards their own goal as soon as possession is lost. The full back line double marks key forwards, with a man in front and behind, and they aim to cover as much space between their goal and the 45m line as possible This leaves them vulnerable to long range scores, but cuts off the supply of ball to key forwards and eliminates a lot of goal scoring opportunities.

Both get men behind the ball, and both sides attack with pace, but there the similarities end IMO.

100% agree, excellent post.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Kerryfootball

I'd disagree quite strongly with that.

Kerry and Donegal's styles are worlds apart. Attack and Defense.

Kerry utilize hand passing out of defense, to long kick passes to the forwards when attacking, sometimes kicking long range scores from out around the 45.

Donegal prefer hard running from Defensive turnovers, with runners off the shoulder, and scoring high percentage points closer to goal.

In defense, Kerry's half forwards drop back, and cover the space, while Maher is detailed as a defensive midfielder, curbing the influence of the opposition's main midfield man. They tend to drift across the field and try to funnel opposition attackers into tight spaces, and the backs play from the front to stop kick passes in front of their men.

Donegal, rush 13 outfield players back towards their own goal as soon as possession is lost. The full back line double marks key forwards, with a man in front and behind, and they aim to cover as much space between their goal and the 45m line as possible This leaves them vulnerable to long range scores, but cuts off the supply of ball to key forwards and eliminates a lot of goal scoring opportunities.

Both get men behind the ball, and both sides attack with pace, but there the similarities end IMO.

100% agree, excellent post.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

would i be correct in saying, that Walsh, O'Brien and Buckley would be our match winners the next day, if we are to win?

we'd need them 3 getting 2 or 3 points each if we are to win, IMO. need a couple of points from Moran also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

would i be correct in saying, that Walsh, O'Brien and Buckley would be our match winners the next day, if we are to win?

we'd need them 3 getting 2 or 3 points each if we are to win, IMO. need a couple of points from Moran also.

No point saying X, Y, Z will ones to score..whoever gets the ball in the best position to shoot will hopefully score. The key for us will be creating enough clear scoring opportunities and not relying on shots from 45m+. I'd be hoping Geaney may get on the scoresheet more than the above mentioned though for one! We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

The question is now how many sessions did this fella watch before the branch finally broke :)

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Diarmuid is one of thise great Gaa men. Always has a smile and a word for you

Meant to post this earlier,its Michael Quirke writing about Kieran Donaghy

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/dogged-donaghy-gets-off-the-ropes-for-final-round-287778.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Omen for tomorrow perhaps?

An Gaeltacht won the All Ireland Intermediate Sevens championship in Ratoath this evening. They beat Glenn John Martins of Down in the final 1-12 to 12 points. It was a last minute goal and point that won it for them.
    Seán Micheál Ó'Conchuir was player of the tournament.

• Advertisement

First All Ireland final since the great Paidi passed away,was just thinking about how cool Eamon Fitzmaurice is on the sideline especially during the madness of the Mayo games and then thinking how would have Paidi have handled it,

Paidi would have been patroling the line,collar up,chest out,kicking every ball,all action,you would nearly miss parts of the match over watching him :D

As he said in that documentary about his time in Westmeath and I think its spot on for tomorrows game.

"A grain of rice is going to tip the scale remember that lads"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I'm going to the hill tomorrow, last time I was there Kerry won in 2009, I have been in the hill in 2000, 04, 06, 07, & 09 on Final day, every time I went to the stands we lost in 2002, 2005, 2008, 2011 and in 2012 & 2013 also, in 2010 I was abroad and missed the Down V Kerry game.

I also found a lucky Kerry hat today which I couldn't find since the 2010 Munster Semi-Final Replay in Pairc ui Chaoimh which Kerry won after extra time. In 2009 we also had an Indian summer and we made Hay in the week before the All-Ireland, same thing again this year. I have alot of Kerry footballing habits now and I think we can do it tomorrow which will be my 10th All-Ireland final attending having only missed 1997 as I was too young.

UP THE KINGDOM!!

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

Kerry legends beat Donegal legends by 4 points.
    Hopefully the minors and seniors will have similar results.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Stinicker wrote: »
    I'm going to the hill tomorrow, last time I was there Kerry won in 2009, I have been in the hill in 2000, 04, 06, 07, & 09 on Final day, every time I went to the stands we lost in 2002, 2005, 2008, 2011 and in 2012 & 2013 also, in 2010 I was abroad and missed the Down V Kerry game.

I also found a lucky Kerry hat today which I couldn't find since the 2010 Munster Semi-Final Replay in Pairc ui Chaoimh which Kerry won after extra time. In 2009 we also had an Indian summer and we made Hay in the week before the All-Ireland, same thing again this year. I have alot of Kerry footballing habits now and I think we can do it tomorrow which will be my 10th All-Ireland final attending having only missed 1997 as I was too young.

UP THE KINGDOM!!

Man, Kerry Fans have a good life!

Hon The Kingdom!!!!

Love this Gerry McMahon poem,

You say tradition counts for naught when two teams take the field,
    I fear you are mistaken, lad, but the years will make you yield,
    And when your hair’s as grey as mine, and time has made you old,
    Then you’ll invoke the truth I spoke of the Kingdom’s green and gold.

You cannot box or bottle it, nor grasp it in your hand,
    But pride of race and love of place inspire a love of land
    Time honoured is our birthright, we’ll never break the mould,
    It’s deep within the soul of us, who wear the green and gold.

Grey lakes and mountains soaring high, Mount Brandon‘s holy hill,
    The little church at Gallarus, our language living still,
    The Skellig Rock, stout football stock, they can’t be bought or sold,
    For our county’s fame, we play the game in the Kingdom’s green and gold.

And when the battle’s fiercest and the fortunes ebb and flow,
    We’re still alive, we can survive, we never will let go,
    For the spirit of our fathers and of stories yet untold,
    Will lead us on to victory, in the Kingdom’s green and gold.

We savour Kerry victories, we salute a gallant foe
    And when we lose, there’s no excuse, we pick up our bags and go,
    So raise your glass each lad and lass to our warriors brave and bold,
    Who again aspire to the Sam Maguire in the Kingdom’s green and gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Man, Kerry Fans have a good life!

This will he my 12th Final.

Winning in 97, 00(replay),04,06,07,09
    Draw in 00
    Lost in 02,05,08,11

We are blessed to be living in an era when Kerry have had such a prolific run.

I've missed very few Kerry games in the last 15+ years, and I wouldn't change it for the world.

It my passion, its part of who I am.

I love watching, playing, analyzing, discussing, thinking about football.

Days like today are the high points in my life and also low points (while also remembering its just a game).

Previous finals are etched in my memory with certain snapshots.

Getting William Kirby's autograph at midfield in 97.
    Seamus running to the Hill in 00.
    The anguish of watching the lead slip in 02.
    Dara's speech and Gooch's goal in 04
    Canavans goal in 05
    Donaghy in 06
    Beating the Rebels for the double in 07
    Declans chance in 08
    The Kennelly final and a Gooch piece of genius 09
    Head in hands and hearing the roar as Cluxton stoked the ball over in 11

2013? James O'Donaghue, Paul Geaney? A Peter Crowley hit?

It'll he unforgettable Win Lose or Draw, that's the nature of All Ireland final day.

Ciarraí Abu, An Ríocht Abu, tabhair Sam abhaile!

This Kerry minor team are terrific. They really had to dig deep when Donegal came at them after the goal but they did and scored some wonderful points. Looked like all the momentum was with Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

fantastic win by the minors, we were home and hosed and next thing the Donegal goal turned the game, fantastic response though, loved the dance on the podium at the end. some great points, performances and well done to Jack and crew
    1 from 1 so far. Onto the big one!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,364 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Congrats on the win today. An abysmal final footballing wise but I'm sure that's not important when Sam lands back in the county.

Great win, terrible game of football and you have to feel for Durkin but thats sport. What an unreal block by Crowley near the end, really lifted the crowd. Hard to pick a motm it was so scrappy.
    On a sidenote, very dissapointed with Bjk at the end kicking the ball away, really sneaky cynical thing to do

• Advertisement

wonga77 wrote: »
    Great win, terrible game of football and you have to feel for Durkin but thats sport. What an unreal block by Crowley near the end, really lifted the crowd. Hard to pick a motm it was so scrappy.
    On a sidenote, very dissapointed with Bjk at the end kicking the ball away, really sneaky cynical thing to do

It is hard but I think the Kerry Half back line were superb in this match. I'd give it to one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,019 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Delighted for Kerry, great win.

Should Moran get POTY ?

Give motm to Crowley so please, i had a few quid on him

wonga77 wrote: »
    Give motm to Crowley so please, i had a few quid on him

Actually, I think Murphy or Young would be more deserving!

Although, that block at the end by Crowley could sway it his way.

Cant see any forward getting it. Moran / Maher in midfield were not great today. Thought the Kerry half back line held up the Donegal forwards quite well at times.

My vote would be for Paul Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Crowley was unspectacular (aside from the block!) but excellent. Everything he did was extremely basic but he consistently relieved pressure on the backline at important points during the game. I don't remember him losing possession or not successfully making a pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

Thought Kerry moved the ball very well at times. People are being a bit unfair with the criticism of average performances. Unfortunately when playing Donegal the chances to move the ball into space are few and far between. Stopping them running through area around the CB just had to be the priority today.

I was delighted when Dublin beat them at their own game in 2011 and today was a close second.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Delighted watching that via stream from Cardiff. Wish I was home for it. Couple of thoughts on the RTE presentation though: Where was Spillane? And i thought it was terrible that Brolly kept cutting across Whelan when he ws trying to make the point that Kerry only played these tactics because they were forced into it by Donegal. We were able to play much more attacking football in all the other games because of the nature of the opposition.

One thing I couldn't understand though, was that we didn't play quick ball into the forwards at any point. I would have thought quick ball into forwards making runs would be to our advantage, before Donegal had a chance to set their defence. I wasn't happy with the amount of wides we made. Maher in particular missed a few very kickable scores for his ability.

Glad we won though. I believe it shows that if two teams play the same defensive tactics, the more skilled team wins.

corny wrote: »
    Thought Kerry moved the ball very well at times. People are being a bit unfair with the criticism of average performances. Unfortunately when playing Donegal the chances to move the ball into space are few and far between. Stopping them running through area around the CB just had to be the priority today.

I was delighted when Dublin beat them at their own game in 2011 and today was a close second.:pac:

This is something people really dont understand well enough. They roar at players to let the ball go. But then when they do, there is 2 men marking the forward making it difficult for the forward. Thats what makes it so difficult to play against a team like Donegal. And thats what makes Kerry victory today all the more admirable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Power Gear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Proud of the lads, what a day.

Not a classic footballing game, but I couldn't care less.

Congrats to the Minors and Seniors, both deserving champions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement