Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

It's a successful year regardless of what happens now. If somebody had bet me back in March that we'd be in the final I'd have laughed at them but the team has come on in leaps since then. If we get hockeyed on the 21st it will take the gloss off the year but I'd be surprised if that happened. If the management set the team up right for the final we have every chance. It seems to be the year of the underdog so let's hope that continues into the final :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

mickeyk wrote: »
    It's a successful year regardless of what happens now. If somebody had bet me back in March that we'd be in the final I'd have laughed at them but the team has come on in leaps since then. If we get hockeyed on the 21st it will take the gloss off the year but I'd be surprised if that happened. If the management set the team up right for the final we have every chance. It seems to be the year of the underdog so let's hope that continues into the final :)

Kerry are the favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

Not according to all the bookies

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

wonga77 wrote: »
    Not according to all the bookies

Fuk the bookies. They lost all there money last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Dublin were the favourites up to last weekend I don't know thought Donegal might be the Favourites. Kerry do better when they are not the favourites. They had a good match last weekend showed what strength both teams had fair play to both of them they played very hard and very well. It was an exciting match as was Dongeal V Dublin! Did not expect the outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Minor Hurlers won the B All Ireland today in Nenagh,that's 3 in a row now for the minors,

Kerry 3-18
    Meath 2-15

Just heard on the radio that there was no programmes available for the game,I know its only a "B" All Ireland but surely
    it should be treated the same as a "A" All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Amprodude wrote: »
    Fuk the bookies. They lost all there money last week.

lol. Dublin being beaten was the biggest money maker for the bookies in GAA in the last 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,019 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

DDC1990 wrote: »
    I don't think you understand the mindset of Kerry people going into this year.

This was a transition year. The year to develop the likes of Crowley, Geaney (x2) Murphy, Fionn into more battle-hardened Championship footballers, for a decent crack at the crown next year.

I can't speak for anybody else, but I didn't expect us to win the Munster Final, and I thought that Quarter Finals was as good as it was going to get this year.

Fast forward 6 months, and we're in an All Ireland Final, just in bonus territory. It was great to win Munster this year, and get a bit of silverware, and of course we'd be ecstatic with a win in the All Ireland, but its been a successful year for Kerry regardless of the final result.

Gooch back next year, maybe Tommy Walsh, another year of football behind the young players, keep bringing a few more young players through. We'll have a good crack at the All Ireland next year regardless.

I'm not going to sit here and proclaim that I thought, at the beginning of the championship, that Kerry were going to get to the final, because I didn’t.

But what I will say is that once I had figured out what the A\B draw meant then I was sure that one of Kerry, Cork or Mayo would get to the final.
    They were the only strong teams in that A side.
    And the winner of the Munster final would have the advatage as they would avoid Mayo in the QF.

Now saying that I though that Cork would win Munster and that Mayo would beat Kerry in the SF, but it was still clear from a good way out that because of the draw one of those three was getting to the final

• Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

I'm not going to sit here and proclaim that I thought, at the beginning of the championship, that Kerry were going to get to the final, because I didn’t.

But what I will say is that once I had figured out what the A\B draw meant then I was sure that one of Kerry, Cork or Mayo would get to the final.
    They were the only strong teams in that A side.
    And the winner of the Munster final would have the advatage as they would avoid Mayo in the QF.

Now saying that I though that Cork would win Munster and that Mayo would beat Kerry in the SF, but it was still clear from a good way out that because of the draw one of those three was getting to the final
    Oh prior to the Munster final, I knew we had a great chance with the draw to get through to the Semi-Finals.

But after taking an 8 point beating to Cork in the League, and being woeful against Clare, you can understand why I'd have my doubts that we would make in far this year, because what looked like a really strong Cork team stood in our way.

Was reading back through this thread for the first 4 months of the year. My own pessimism was embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

Oh prior to the Munster final, I knew we had a great chance with the draw to get through to the Semi-Finals.

But after taking an 8 point beating to Cork in the League, and being woeful against Clare, you can understand why I'd have my doubts that we would make in far this year, because what looked like a really strong Cork team stood in our way.

Was reading back through this thread for the first 4 months of the year. My own pessimism was embarrassing.

You wouldn't be the only one. I was actually going to cancel my season ticket,can you believe that! I didn't go to the Munster final and didn't even bother giving away my ticket which would at least have attendance recorded.If it weren't for the semi final replay I wouldn't have had enough to qualify for a ticket to the final.

So BIG lesson learned to NEVER write off Kerry. And plenty will accuse me of being a bad fan and I willingly hold my hand up.But tis a bit like a love affair,folks! I got too involved and too heart broken in recent years,so had to take a step back this year.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

tut tut acequion

In sickness and in health till death do we part :pac:

321295.png

#realfan :P

/smugness ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

just catching up now on reading through the various comments and it really is wonderful to see how bitter Mayo fans are. they get a free pass throughout the country due to their continued failures every year, but the reality is they are the biggest whingers in the game, always is an excuse and this year its the ref.

mcstays comments are a disgrace, he highlighted 6 or 7 incidents where Kerry got breaks yet left out countless ones which influenced the mayo side of things.
    • there was a free against o Mahoney which should have been a kerry free, that ended in a Mayo score,
    • very soft free against murphy which was pointed,
    • second Mayo goal came from a free against Donaghy that should have been a free to Kerry.
    • Geaney through on a 2 on 1 after robbing a Mayo back, free given to Mayo.
    • He mentioned those two "soft frees" in extra time -
    • he failed to acknowledge that donaghy won the ball regardless of the free or not and was in a scoring position
    • he also mentioned that the free was taken from the wrong position - this was done as mayo were complaining and it was brought forward.
    • BJK was "tackled" around the neck, with Boyles knee in his chest. as to how any man can say this is not a free, ill never know.
    • there was another "foul" on seamus o shea - scored by Freeman at the start of the second half, that was as soft as they come.
    • sliding tackles are not allowed in Gaa - not sure how any man can say its not a peno
    • no mention of the aidan o shea on maher and on o donoghue incidents, which resulted in o donoghue being injured for the rest of the game.
    • johnny buckley taken out of the game, wasnt even given a free - again he went off injured.
    • also, no mention of the incredibly soft free that Mayo got in the 74th minute, which would have won the game for them - should have been a Kerry free.

the ref was poor for both sides, but it was an impossible game to ref. Mayo are as bad as it is when it comes to losing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

#realfan :P

/smugness ;)

Do you know sort of ticket will you get out of it? Also how much was the season ticket? I presume you had to pay for all the championship games? It was 2010 since I took out a season ticket last.

Don't know, I'd hope a Cusack ticket near the halfway though.

Hope that it keeps my seating group as well.

€85 at the start of the year, all the League games, First Munster Championship game (+ Club Championship Finals and League Semi and Finals) for free.

Then €5 off Munster Semi (if we had one), Quarter Final and Semi Final.

Full price Munster Final Ticket and All Ireland ticket if you get there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Annie Oakes

Anyone get their tickets yet??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Eddie Kinsella the ref - was ref for the Galway game so might be an advantage in that our lads will have an idea of what he's like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Eddie Kinsella the ref - was ref for the Galway game so might be an advantage in that our lads will have an idea of what he's like

Well the main thing is that Joe McQuillan isn't reffing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Who will pick up Michael Murphy ?

Aidan O M if he plays in the FF line

Crowley if he goes to No.11

Or Marc just to stick to him wherever he goes?

what is your starting 15 prediction?

im not sure if the long ball to Donaghy is going to work, Donegal will break everything and have about 11 players there to mop it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

what is your starting 15 prediction?

im not sure if the long ball to Donaghy is going to work, Donegal will break everything and have about 11 players there to mop it up.

Kelly

Marc
    AOM
    Young

Murphy
    Crowley
    Fionn

Maher
    Moran

Mikey/Sheehan
    Buckley
    Donnacha

Stephen O B
    Paul Geaney
    James O D

Stephen O'Brien to replace Mikey Geaney and Marc to replace Enright would be how I picked it I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

keane2097 wrote: »
    Stephen O'Brien to replace Mikey Geaney and Marc to replace Enright would be how I picked it I would think.
    Given how good Geaney was on breaks against Mayo I think he deserves to keep his place

His kick passing is quite good too it's worth noting, has knocked some lovely diaganol balls into JOD & Paul Geaney this year

D'Agger wrote: »
    Given how good Geaney was on breaks against Mayo I think he deserves to keep his place

His kick passing is quite good too it's worth noting, has knocked some lovely diaganol balls into JOD & Paul Geaney this year

I didn't think Geaney was good the second day. Not his fault but he wasn't being marked the first day.

I would definitely pick O'Brien ahead of him if it was a straight choice, which I tend to think it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

keane2097 wrote: »
    I didn't think Geaney was good the second day. Not his fault but he wasn't being marked the first day.

I would definitely pick O'Brien ahead of him if it was a straight choice, which I tend to think it will be.
    True - maybe it's not connected but I thought we didn't fall apart with regard to breaking ball in the second match - whereas in the first, Geaney went off and Mayo started to dominate everything in the middle. Now - that could be completely unrelated but I think Geaney deserves it.

That said - O'Brien is a talented player with pace that could hurt Donegal so I wouldn't be suprised to see him getting the nod either.

D'Agger wrote: »
    True - maybe it's not connected but I thought we didn't fall apart with regard to breaking ball in the second match - whereas in the first, Geaney went off and Mayo started to dominate everything in the middle. Now - that could be completely unrelated but I think Geaney deserves it.

That said - O'Brien is a talented player with pace that could hurt Donegal so I wouldn't be suprised to see him getting the nod either.

I do think we got a bit worse around the same time Geaney went off the first day but I think it was more to do with dropping too many bodies deep rather than Geaney holding things together to any great extent.

The fact that Sheehan was terrible when he came on that day (he was not too bad the second day) maybe makes it look better for Geaney on the first day.

I suppose the crux to me is that Mayo were happy to let Geaney go unmarked the first day out, they wouldn't have let O'Brien at HF unmarked in a fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,101 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Kelly
    Marc
    AOM
    Young
    Murphy
    Crowley
    Fionn
    Maher
    Moran
    Buckley
    Donnacha
    Stephen O B
    Paul Geaney
    James O D

I'd have those 14 pretty much as nailed on starters.

Figuring out who number 15 in the starting line-up should be is a bit of a puzzler.

I wonder if we might see one of Griffin or Kilkenny in there for tactical reasons? Might set the cat among the pigeons.

I really cant see there being much point in starting Donaghy given the amount of men that Donegal will have back protecting their goal.

He needs room to work and I doubt he would get a fraction of the room he got against Mayo, near mind a similar level of poor performance from the man marking him. Also a ref is unlikely to be as kind to him in terms of frees again - I could easily see a situation where he wouldnt get a fair shake from a ref as a "reward" for balancing out the favourable frees in the Mayo game.

Enright's performance the last day mean he has surely fallen down the pecking order, the same with Declan and Sheehan.

Really would be surprised to see Mikey Geaney start given the number of times he turned over possession under very little pressure and the overall levels of performance this year

You'd have to think that Darran is not fit to start, after another injury-blighted season.

Could Kieran O'Leary or Barry John, or even Lyne come into the reckoning for a starting spot?

I'm sure that there are very few Kerry supporters who havent taken a few seconds to ignore reality and consider the Hollywood option of one Colm Cooper taking his place in the starting 15.

Once again I don't envy Eamonn and the lads the job at hand.

I'd go with:

1. Kelly
    2. Marc
    3. AOM
    4. Young
    5. Murphy
    6. Crowley
    7. Fionn
    8. Maher
    9. Moran
    10. Buckley
    11. Gooch ;)
    12. Donnacha
    13. James
    14. Donaghy
    15. Geaney

im worried about this blanket defence approach from Donegal. i just wonder is it worth putting Sheehan in instead of Donaghy for the long range points kicking and frees?

either way, we need something different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

im worried about this blanket defence approach from Donegal. i just wonder is it worth putting Sheehan in instead of Donaghy for the long range points kicking and frees?

either way, we need something different.

Donaghy has scored a few great long range points in his day e.g. vs Cork in 07 and Dublin 11, thought it was something he should have tried more often.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement