Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post #4167

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

The right team is picked anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭kerryjack

What role do ye see k donaghy playing I hope he stays in around the square i hate to see him playing too deep he is not a great ball carrier I would have kep him on the bench and played m gainey don't get me wrong I am a big fan of donaghy and we would not be in it without him but I think gainey is a good scraper

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

kerryjack wrote: »
    What role do ye see k donaghy playing I hope he stays in around the square i hate to see him playing too deep he is not a great ball carrier I would have kep him on the bench and played m gainey don't get me wrong I am a big fan of donaghy and we would not be in it without him but I think gainey is a good scraper

Gainey is very very limited IMO.

Donaghy was undroppable after his semi final performance to be honest.

Horses for courses imo but I hope I am proved wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Gainey is very very limited IMO.

Donaghy was undroppable after his semi final performance to be honest.

I'd agree to a point, Geaney was far too loose with some of his passing after doing so well to win turnovers or breaking ball, when he has a bit more experience and works on his distribution he will be top class.

• Advertisement

SomeFool wrote: »
    I'd agree to a point, Geaney was far too loose with some of his passing after doing so well to win turnovers or breaking ball, when he has a bit more experience and works on his distribution he will be top class.
    Well that would be fatal against a team like donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Good team starting,really think Donegal are going to test out our full back line at the start and maybe try and get the start they got against Mayo two years ago,get it into Murphy and see what he can do.

What I cant wait to see is what tactics Eamon Fitzmaurice and his backroom team comes up with to beat this "system" that Donegal have set up,space will be at a premium in around the forwards so maybe we are going to have to be patient when on the ball,we will make chances no doubt about that.

The team this year has come up trumps so far at anything that has been thrown at them,one more massive test lays ahead.

Ciarrai Abu!!!

Whats the story with jerseys tought heard marty morisy saying on sixone news that they were changing jersey read during week they were not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Few interesting little quotes from Gaelic Life today for any Kerry people needing pumping up..

Ronan Scott: (Resident Punter) "Kerry are totally one dimensional and reliant on older players"..

Ciaran McKeever from Armagh reckons Donegal will "Go to town on Kerry" and tips Donegal to win by 7+..

A certain quote from Jack O'Connor comes to mind..I'm sure a few people know what I mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

kerryjack wrote: »
    Well that would be fatal against a team like donegal

Not saying he's the man for Sunday but I wouldn't be writing off his future either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Few interesting little quotes from Gaelic Life today for any Kerry people needing pumping up..

Ronan Scott: (Resident Punter) "Kerry are totally one dimensional and reliant on older players"..

Ciaran McKeever from Armagh reckons Donegal will "Go to town on Kerry" and tips Donegal to win by 7+..

A certain quote from Jack O'Connor comes to mind..I'm sure a few people know what I mean!

Wouldn't be surprised if either team dished out a hiding tbh. Donegals gameplan is as good as unbeatable if we give them a head start so the first 20 minutes will be absolutely crucial. If we get an early lead on the other hand we can draw them out and we have the forwards to pick off enough scores to see it through. Can't wait to see how it unfolds.

As for being dependent in old players that's not really true. JOD, Murphy, Fitzgerald, Crowley, O'Brien (when fit) and Geaney have been key players this year and have surpassed all expectations. The older guys like Mahoney, Marc, Declan et al are important of course, but overall it is a good mix of young and old. Even if Sunday doesn't work out the future is bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭flasher0030

realweirdo wrote: »
    I would define anti-football as stopping the other team playing free flowing football, and crowding them out. Imagine a small five a side pitch. And putting about 30 players onto that pitch. Inevitably its going to get very crowded and no-one gets time or space to do anything. As soon as a talented player gets on the ball, he's immediately surrounded by 4 or 5 opposing players. Its very effective. But at least Dublin, Mayo and Galway allow opposing teams to play football, sometimes to their own detriment. I know Donegal have good attackers now, but they still retain the ultra defensive model.

There you go again - your definition of anti-football. Don't you get it. There is no definition of anti-football. The objective in a football match is to win the game. There is no “incorrect” way to win the match. There’s no anti-football style. Some people have their own preferences as to what makes good football. But it doesn’t mean that any other style is anti-football. My own opinion is that football had gone stale. Every so often there would be an exciting game like Dublin-Kerry in the All-Ireland a couple of years ago, and same 2 teams in the semi last year (I think). In the lead up to the matches, there was anticipation that there was going to be an exciting match, but there was nothing “intellectual” going on. Those type of games did certainly arouse the emotions, but they wouldn’t really get you thinking strategies or tactical manoeuvres (except for the hype re Stephen Cluxton’s kickouts).

Jim McGuinness and Donegal have brought this alternative type of excitement back into the game – a kind of “thinking mans” excitement. I’m not from either county, but I am so looking forward to the game. Not to see high fielding or scores from 40 yards. I’m just excited about the unknown and unpredictibility – will Donaghy play, how will Donegal counteract that. What will they do with O’Donoghue, what will Kerry do with Murphy. What will the midfield strategy be. I know that every game has similar little questions, but they were never as thought-provoking as they are now.

The 70 odd minutes on Sunday may not be a classic, but for me the build up this week has been fascinating – reading the various articles and opinions on the match. It could be similar to looking forward to a sun holiday for months, and then for it to rain every day of the holiday. But think about the excitement that you feel for those months. I know not everyone thinks the same, and we all have different opinions.

After thinking about it, and I know this is controversial – I reckon that the most people that complain about Donegal football ( and the reason I think why) are as follows:-

Mayo – There’s an envy there that for the past 10 years, Mayo have worked so hard to try to win the AL, but still failed. Then Donegal just come along, make it look so simple in 2012 and claim Sam.
    Dublin – Dublin have become the marquee team – playing stylish football, great athlethism and scoring goals for fun. Then they are beaten well by the “defensive team”. Only for Dublin have won 2 all-ireland’s in recent years, they would be a lot more bitter towards Donegal’s type of football. But with 2 medals in the bag, they are content enough.
    Kerry – roused by Pat Spillane, who believes that Football is only about kicking, catching and scoring. And if teams don’t do that, then they are not conforming. Kerry people have bought into this. And part of it is because, whilst they want Kerry to win obviously, deep down they know that there is a very good chance that Donegal will win. And they are convincing themselves “that Donegal don’t play real football, and that even though we lost, at least we played proper football”.

I don’t usually like when people compare soccer analogies to GAA, but Kerry are generally equated to Brazil in the soccer field. And I think there are in a very similar vein in 2014. Brazil bullied their way to the final, with average players, and one outstanding natural footballer (Neymar). But they got found out in the final. Kerry have had a similar path – with James O’Donoghue the shining light. I have a feeling the same fate beholds Kerry.
    (The last comments are a bit tongue in cheek, cause I know this is the Kerry forum. But there is a bit of truth there)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 aldcore

Eh......

What world cup were you watching?!?!?!

Sorry - Brazil got the semi-final, not the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Sorry - Brazil got the semi-final, not the final.

yeah, and the rest of your diatribe is just as accurate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭realweirdo

Flasher, all I will say is Mayo, Dublin, Kerry, Galway and most of the southern counties prioritise attack over defence.

Most of the classic games of recent years have involved southern counties, Kerry v Dublin 2013, Kerry v Mayo 2014, Kerry v Galway 2008, Mayo v Dublin 2006, and several more. These are the games that people remember and raise interest in the sport. Most games involving the Ulster teams are forgettable unfortunately. No-one wants to see a grim game of chess-like football involving one managerial grandmaster against another. We want a game of free flowing attacking football where individual skill carries the day. That's all I am saying on it now, as this is the Kerry thread and should be about Kerry matters.

Like I said, good luck to Kerry in the final, I hope Donegal are beaten simply because no-one wants a 13 man defence to become the norm in GAA.

yeah, and the rest of your diatribe is just as accurate.

Lazy comment. What's inaccurate? I was really just saying that it’s narrow minded to write off Donegal football as anti-football. There are a lot of people excited by it. Read Tomas O’Shea’s article.
    And for me it heightens the anticipation of this All-Ireland. It wasn’t a rant.
    And I was giving my opinion on why some other leading GAA counties are quick to dismiss Donegal football – as not being the right way to play. I don’t think there was anything factually inaccurate in it. It’s just an opinion. Not trolling or stirring.

Anyway best of luck to Kerry. Hope James O’Donoghue delivers the goods. Wouldn’t agree with Martin McHugh’s trivialisation of Gooch’s abilities, but would agree that he’s the most exciting player in recent years.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

realweirdo wrote: »
    Flasher, all I will say is Mayo, Dublin, Kerry, Galway and most of the southern counties prioritise attack over defence.

Most of the classic games of recent years have involved southern counties, Kerry v Dublin 2013, Kerry v Mayo 2014, Kerry v Galway 2008, Mayo v Dublin 2006, and several more. These are the games that people remember and raise interest in the sport. Most games involving the Ulster teams are forgettable unfortunately. No-one wants to see a grim game of chess-like football involving one managerial grandmaster against another. We want a game of free flowing attacking football where individual skill carries the day. That's all I am saying on it now, as this is the Kerry thread and should be about Kerry matters.

Like I said, good luck to Kerry in the final, I hope Donegal are beaten simply because no-one wants a 13 man defence to become the norm in GAA.

All cracking matches, so was the Tyrone vs. Armagh saga in 05. Tyrone vs. Dublin in 08, Kerry vs. Dublin in 09, Dublin vs. Tyrone in 2011, Donegal against Kildare in 2011 and Cork in 2012 all classics, for different reasons.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Lazy comment. What's inaccurate? I was really just saying that it’s narrow minded to write off Donegal football as anti-football. There are a lot of people excited by it. Read Tomas O’Shea’s article.
    And for me it heightens the anticipation of this All-Ireland. It wasn’t a rant.
    And I was giving my opinion on why some other leading GAA counties are quick to dismiss Donegal football – as not being the right way to play. I don’t think there was anything factually inaccurate in it. It’s just an opinion. Not trolling or stirring.

Anyway best of luck to Kerry. Hope James O’Donoghue delivers the goods. Wouldn’t agree with Martin McHugh’s trivialisation of Gooch’s abilities, but would agree that he’s the most exciting player in recent years.

If you look back on my posts in the thread you will see my thoughts on both teams tactics to date, and it will show that I'm not a Donegal-basher, and I have never said that they play anti-football.

However, coming onto the Kerry thread and posting some of the muck you wrote about Kerry people trying to convince themselves that Donegal play puke football in order to dismiss them is not just inaccurate, it's goading and you knew well what you were doing. I'm not going to go any more into it now. I'm looking forward to the game and we'll see what the real story is on the pitch on Sunday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Axel Lamp

I thought GAA silly season was in Winter, for this thread it appears to be before the All-Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,593 ✭✭✭DoctaDee

MOD .. Guys lighten the mood a bit please .. bring the abstract analogies into the match thread if you have to but leave the county thread for Kerry matters

If you look back on my posts in the thread you will see my thoughts on both teams tactics to date, and it will show that I'm not a Donegal-basher, and I have never said that they play anti-football.

However, coming onto the Kerry thread and posting some of the muck you wrote about Kerry people trying to convince themselves that Donegal play puke football in order to dismiss them is not just inaccurate, it's goading and you knew well what you were doing. I'm not going to go any more into it now. I'm looking forward to the game and we'll see what the real story is on the pitch on Sunday.

Sorry Oregano State. No goading intended. Definitely not goading. I was just reading the comments, and in an earlier post, someone defined Donegal football as anti-football. As it happens, it seems that poster is from Mayo, not Kerry. I don't agree that it's anti-football, and posted that, albeit getting lost in a bit of a ramble.

Anyway, looking forward to the match.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭elguapo

K-9 wrote: »
    All cracking matches, so was the Tyrone vs. Armagh saga in 05. Tyrone vs. Dublin in 08, Kerry vs. Dublin in 09, Dublin vs. Tyrone in 2011, Donegal against Kildare in 2011 and Cork in 2012 all classics, for different reasons.

Tyrone v Kerry in 05 was an outstanding game as well, Tyrone were absolutely brilliant on the day, Kerry did well to run them to three points.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,019 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I don't think I have seen as much enthusiasm around Kerry for an All Ireland final in a good few years.

I reckon there are far more flag, banners, jerseys etc than any time in the '00s or in '11.

It must me the fact that there are new young guys on the team and it's seen as a new era.

Best of luck in the final.

Safe travelling to all on boards heading of to dublin now myself back on Monday hopefully sam will be heading south it will be a great occasion donegal are very similar to ourselves anyone wants to talk football will be in o se's on the keys I am the big bald lad with all the women flocking atound me Cairrai abu

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Conor52

I don't think I have seen as much enthusiasm around Kerry for an All Ireland final in a good few years.

I reckon there are far more flag, banners, jerseys etc than any time in the '00s or in '11.

It must me the fact that there are new young guys on the team and it's seen as a new era.

Best of luck in the final.

Its partly that and its partly that we really did not expect to be in the final given retirements over the last few years and Gooch's injury so its taken everyone by surprise.

Also because there is lot of new guys on the team and the low expectations we had at the start of the year i think the fans are more relaxed and enjoying the build up more.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Donegal and Kerry play very similar football, anyone suggesting anything else is deluding themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,422 ✭✭✭wonga77

at this stage id glady take a win playing any which way that gets us over the line

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Wouldnt like to see Kerry play a ultra blanket Sunday,Don't think there is any need for it

I assume Kerry will keep the 6 backs in their own half at all times and ask Moran & Maher to push up to help out the half forward line.

Expect Fitzmaurice to go with a 2 man full forward line which will force the Donegal sweepers to push away from the full back line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,363 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

dog_pig wrote: »
    Donegal and Kerry play very similar football, anyone suggesting anything else is deluding themselves.
    I'd disagree quite strongly with that.

Kerry and Donegal's styles are worlds apart. Attack and Defense.

Kerry utilize hand passing out of defense, to long kick passes to the forwards when attacking, sometimes kicking long range scores from out around the 45.

Donegal prefer hard running from Defensive turnovers, with runners off the shoulder, and scoring high percentage points closer to goal.

In defense, Kerry's half forwards drop back, and cover the space, while Maher is detailed as a defensive midfielder, curbing the influence of the opposition's main midfield man. They tend to drift across the field and try to funnel opposition attackers into tight spaces, and the backs play from the front to stop kick passes in front of their men.

Donegal, rush 13 outfield players back towards their own goal as soon as possession is lost. The full back line double marks key forwards, with a man in front and behind, and they aim to cover as much space between their goal and the 45m line as possible This leaves them vulnerable to long range scores, but cuts off the supply of ball to key forwards and eliminates a lot of goal scoring opportunities.

Both get men behind the ball, and both sides attack with pace, but there the similarities end IMO.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement