Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Where Will You Be? [survivor Map]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

How does one find that map on google?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

Craggy Island - no wait never mind

Liffey valley Shopping center and B&Q.

Why ?

liffey valley only has 3 entrances , everywhere else is blocked off by big green gates that zombies will never get through.
    The 3 entrances will all be locked of course and the glass is really quite strong and can be easily blocked up anyway.

Roof access, plenty of food and drink courtesy of the food court, Zune, Cupcake stand, millies cookies, sweet stand, boots, Starbucks, Costa coffee, Bagel bar, spurs steakhouse, eddie rockets, gourmounkt burger kitchen and M&S.

Entertainment: Vue cinema, Hmv, GAME, Easons, Carphonewarehouse (internet), Golden discs, Sky digital.

Clothing: most shops.

DIY shop... well B&Q is the biggest in ireland and we'll certainly have a lot there.

only 4 entrances at the front . main entrance, main exit, building end (in/out) and one man sized door at front which cannot be opened from outside without one big ass key and you certainly wont break this door either ! STEEL !
    all other entrances are covered by shutters.

Food: Cafe plus vending machines.

Weapons: everything

Entertainment: pool table and any random ****e in store, internet.

also if you want, there are enough materials and tools in that store to build a house ! so if you get bored you can do it from start to finish !

Also roof access.

i chose liffey valley over blanch and other larger shopping centers cos its easier to maintain with a very low amount of entrances. and its only one floor with sky walks which are impossible to get to - but bring a ladder and sorted.. safe for life :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

The B&Q isn't attached to Liffey Valley though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

The-Rigger wrote: »
    The B&Q isn't attached to Liffey Valley though?

nope but cars can provide transport along with trucks and forklifts if must.

even still if you chose both locations as different sites completely you'd be safe

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭LazyClouds

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!!!!!

I posted 2 markers on the map, one of which I spent quite some time on and it's not listed anymore!
    Why is this happening? I just did it less than 1 hour ago and it has disappeared...:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Hocker

Sounds awesome, I'd be in my house still though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

If you are based in Cork then you are more than welcome to join me on Spike Island. It has a very large number or things going for it

1. Its reasonably isolated, no direct link to the mainland and no standing population which may be infected before you get there.
    2. Because of its isolation it will already have some of the resources in place to survive on its own like power generators.
    3. It used to be a prison so it has both natural defenses from the sea as well as a prisons defenses.
    4. It is 42 hectares which can be farmed to support a reasonable community of survivors and the land hasn't been industrialized so you can plant directly.
    5. Its close proximity to Haulbowline, which is the main naval base in Ireland and should therefore have a supply of weapons that can be retrieved for defense.
    6. Access to warehouses that can be raided for food and fuel which can be used to provide electricity as well as refrigeration.
    7. Close enough to Cork that you can get back in reasonably easily if you need to raid hospitals for medicines.
    8. Easy enough to get to from the city if you can get your hands on any kind of boat.

The only disadvantage is that its near some Cork suburbs so it may be occupied by locals by the time you get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Coyote

just added 3 places I will be heading when The Dead Walk

Dun Laoghaire Marina
    Fortress:2
    required 1-100 people

Resources
    Radios, Fuel, Vehicles, Food (catch sea food)
    Marina with 500+ boats
    10 foot high fence/30 foot deep water around Marina
    fresh water, solar and wind electricity generators on a number of boats

Advantages/Disadvantages:
    --Well Defended
    --Occupiers may not welcome more people, some boats may be gone.

Kish Lighthouse
    Fortress1:Kish Lighthouse
    Resources:
    Fish. solar electricity generators
    Radio room.

Safehouses:
    The Lighthouse surrounded by 95 feet deep water
    The tower is a self contained unit of twelve floors built within the caisson
    living space 1-8

Advantages:
    surrounded by water. Lockable entrance.
    should be no one on it.
    helipad
    hydraulically controlled crane for lifting stores and small boats.

Navigation
    Latitude 53° 18" 38'
    Longitude -5° 55" 32'

The Mint
    Fortress: 1
    Required 1-150 people

Resources
    Radios, Fuel, weapons (handguns, assault rifles, Vehicles, large area to grow Food
    Heavy vehicles (bank/mint money trucks, Army 4x4) all with radios. very useful for raids to get supplies.
    Large pond for collecting water
    Backup electricity generators
    Print your own money when you start the new world order.

Multilayer defences
    12 foot high wall around outside
    15 foot high fence
    Another 15 foot fence
    Guard towers
    High security buildings
    3 separatist entrances one right on to the M50

5 min away by m50
    Dundrum shoping center
    Tesco - rob a few Tesco trucks for food

Carrickmines shopping centre
    woodies DIY - for all your barricade building needs and seeds for planting
    pc world - pc bits and bobs
    currys
    halfords
    53 north - camping and outdoors gear
    costa – for your coffee hit
    smyths
    harvey norman
    leopardstown racecourse - horse might be use full when fuel runs out in a few years

Tennis courts for relaxing

Advantages/Disadvantages:
    --Well Defended better than any army base.
    --anyone left working there may not welcome more people.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

Kromdar wrote: »
    here's the link.

the link again for those who asked.

you need to collaborate to add markers:
    click collaborate [you need a google account] then click edit, then then you're done adding markers, click 'done or 'save' or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭Coyote

Kromdar wrote: »
    the link again for those who asked.

you need to collaborate to add markers:
    click collaborate [you need a google account] then click edit, then then you're done adding markers, click 'done or 'save' or whatever.

I did all that, but seems I can only see them when I click on page 2?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭chuckliddell

the Playboy mansion......nuff said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Necrophilia ftw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Can you run with a boner? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

the round tower in Glendalough with one of these

No%204%20Mk%201%20Lee%20Enfield.jpg

my dad was "best shot" in his army cadet class,and we can both shoot
    longbows too,so i'd bring those

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

Knasher wrote: »
    If you are based in Cork then you are more than welcome to join me on Spike Island. It has a very large number or things going for it

1. Its reasonably isolated, no direct link to the mainland and no standing population which may be infected before you get there.
    2. Because of its isolation it will already have some of the resources in place to survive on its own like power generators.
    3. It used to be a prison so it has both natural defenses from the sea as well as a prisons defenses.
    4. It is 42 hectares which can be farmed to support a reasonable community of survivors and the land hasn't been industrialized so you can plant directly.
    5. Its close proximity to Haulbowline, which is the main naval base in Ireland and should therefore have a supply of weapons that can be retrieved for defense.
    6. Access to warehouses that can be raided for food and fuel which can be used to provide electricity as well as refrigeration.
    7. Close enough to Cork that you can get back in reasonably easily if you need to raid hospitals for medicines.
    8. Easy enough to get to from the city if you can get your hands on any kind of boat.

The only disadvantage is that its near some Cork suburbs so it may be occupied by locals by the time you get there.

ill be there, great choice :-)

edit. i havent read the rest yet, but its still a good choice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

this is a great thread! Cant believe there are so many folk (like me) that actually think what they will do if Z-Day comes about .... I blame it all on Omega Man !

anyway .... there seems to be a couple of very similar suggestions for locations and I just wanted to pass on my insight on these.
    1. Secure building in Urban Area. This has many advantages, but the big problem, and potential fatal flaw, is that if there is an army of undead, then it doesn’t matter how defensable your building is, you WILL get overrun. The unexpected will happen, eg a fire in lower floors, or mountain of dead make a ramp to your position, or just sheer numbers running across the killing zone will be too much for your guns.
    2. Remote Rural Outpost. Again, pretty good, but relies on large area with few zombies in it to prevent it being found. The bigger the outpost gets, the more attention it will attract, eg fires, lights, smells of cooking, sound of gunfire from firing range, etc. When it becomes big, this option will then become the same as option 1 above.
    3. Island. The Island option can be same as 1 & 2 above. Its remote so chance of discovery is low (but not zero). In first few days after outbreak, there will be ships drifting around full of Z’s. Or there may be plane crash, or just some floating bodies …. The undead will find your island, and then you are trapped on the island with them.
    4. The Boat -probably the best so far. But the boat option does rely on someone knowing how to operate a ferry or large ship. Unlike the Island option, you can move the boat if you fear discovery. But if the Z’s get on boat with you, then you are fecked.

My suggested option is a combination of these, with a controversial twist. Firstly , are the undead intelligent or not, and secondly , are they active during the day or not. I am assuming they are not intelligent (if they are, I would go with option 1 – Secure Building in Urban area, with large killing ground around it – reason being that an intelligent enemy will not cross it for fear of being killed. A pack of wild dogs, on the other hand, are not afraid of open spaces) If the Z’s are active during the day, then my suggestion will be the same, but on a slower and more careful footing.

So, finally, the Rider Guide to Zombie Survival:

Get out of Town
    I would initially get out of town and make camp for a few days / weeks in a remote area. Chances of discovery are low, and Z’s are not so hungry yet as to have to leave towns in search of fresh flesh. I would paint signs on roads outside town and direct survivors to me.

Go Back To Town
    When there are a few people in the compound, I would then send a small party (perhaps 3 or 4) into nearby town (not city) to find a more permanent holdout (this is easier done in day if Z’s are active at night). A good site would be a block of old town house, or a row of office blocks. The reason is ‘escape’. And that’s what 3 of 4 options above are lacking. You have to be able to get out if things go bad. Any military guy will tell you a siege is nearly always successful. The stronger and more defencable you make your strong-hold, the more you turn it into your tomb

Escape
    You should be able to hold off the undead for a day (or a night). During that defence, you shouldbe able to get your people out. This is where a block of offices / houses comes into its own. You have to have your escape route planned well before hand. And have a place prepared for you to go to. You can have a zip wire at the top of the building to bring you away to a garage that has a truck to take you far away. Or a ‘bridge’ from one building to the next (remember to pull it up after you go!) or you can knock through from one building to the next (maybe go 5 or 8 buildong along, to take you well away). This is another point to consider if the Z’s are intelligent. They may have surrounded the whole block, not just your house!

Safe-Houses
    While safe in your house in town during the day, you can find other safe houses to escape to if things go bad. Maybe even move to them on a random basis, and not wait for it to be overrun. While in one house you can check on the others, and makes sure supplies are topped up and that escape routes, and secret entrances are kept clear. If you have a lot of friends / survivors, then you don’t all have to stay in the same house. Too many in one place will attract attention. It’s a good idea to keep in radio contact with the other houses, and if you get attacked at night, you can call for one of them to make a diversion while you escape.

Finally, sorry for the long post ... but once I started I just couldnt stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭ShadowGal

what about an oil rig ? those things are virtually impregnable, and im guessing they have supplies for months at a time. you could send out light planes or helicopters to go scavenging for supplies. they would already have a medical center, a doctor a canteen. everything you need really.

Now, just how would i get to one...

• Registered Users Posts: 30 0utcast

0utcast's Z-Day Survival Guide

I'm going to develop a few ideas for different situations, places, etc.

Idea 1: Move
    I think a moving group is always better than a stationary one. If you could get a convoy going, it'd be much safer than staying still and waiting for the Zs to come to you.
    A modified flatbed truck would do very nicely to start off methinks. Diesel would be better, it doesn't decay as fast as petrol, and it doesn't blow up as easily if you happen to drive it into a wall!
    Food trucks from Tesco or Supervalu could be acquired to keep you fed on the road. An army jeep could provide some mobile firepower and armour, which could be very handy if you come across a big group o' Zs.

I'll post more ideas as I think of them, lemme know what you think of this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 cancsajn

0utcast wrote: »
    0utcast's Z-Day Survival Guide

I'm going to develop a few ideas for different situations, places, etc.

Idea 1: Move
    I think a moving group is always better than a stationary one. If you could get a convoy going, it'd be much safer than staying still and waiting for the Zs to come to you.
    A modified flatbed truck would do very nicely to start off methinks. Diesel would be better, it doesn't decay as fast as petrol, and it doesn't blow up as easily if you happen to drive it into a wall!
    Food trucks from Tesco or Supervalu could be acquired to keep you fed on the road. An army jeep could provide some mobile firepower and armour, which could be very handy if you come across a big group o' Zs.

I'll post more ideas as I think of them, lemme know what you think of this one.

I agree.
    I love the map I'll keep it handy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

i've decided lambay island is perfect,
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=dublin,+ireland&sll=53.492437,-6.002655&sspn=0.048204,0.154324&ie=UTF8&ll=53.491671,-6.013556&spn=0.024102,0.109863&t=h&z=14

they've houses for shelter that can be fortified,only two people live on it,so even if they have become Z's they'll be easily dealt with

looks like there's Deer and wallabie to eat along with plenty of bird species and fishing obviously would be handy

plenty of room to grow veg on it,infact there seems to be a vegetable patch just to the south east of the main house anyway!

so the plan is get to howth,steal a boat and over we go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 CabbageThing

The Ilac center is perfect training for the Zombie apocalypse. Try and negotiate your through a hoard of shuffling briandead tracksuit wearing zombies as they relentlessly drag their overweight asses into McDonalds / Burger King where they feed for hours.

The Library is your best bet , they wouldnt be interested in books.

With regards to supplies - Dunnes stores is the only place i can think of which may provide anything of use.
    Or if you want t-shirts with "If found please return to pub" emblazed on the front, then Unique is for you , but I dont see how this will aid you in your survival.

Actually the Ilac center is sh**te , you will die if you stay too long there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Grap my bug out bags
    Into my 4X4 Leave Cork city
    There are three forts in Cork harbour area that face out ot sea(hmm seafood)

Fort Davis whitegate->army training centre(unmanned most of year)

Deep Moates on three sides Cliffs and sea on the other
    Only way in is across a narrow bridge(mutilple gates covered by bunkers)
    This photo is from inside the base the firing holes overlook the moate.
    The fort is on top of a hill at the end of a long road from whitegate
    unlikey many zeds will get that far never mind over the moate
    01_fort_davis.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6TG3_ZS38I

Fort Meagher -> abandoned until very recently and opened as muesum
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dl_GOMqYb7w

Fort chalres Kinsale -> tourist muesum/spot
    Charles_Fort.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 baileymay

i had a bit of a plan to get my ass to dun laoighre and get one of them stenaline hss cruse liners... and try take it to the mouth of the amazon... no people, fresh water, fishing. food... and live on the boat... kinda prefect no?
    apart from having to actually get there...

The photo above gives a good idea of charles fort in kinsale potential as
    a ZED- fort however its very well known so will attract a big crowd come zed day

the other two forts are less well known esp fort davis.
    Here's their location on a map
    to get a great aerial shot of them and their cliff and moate defense
    click on this website scroll down to bottom and use the
    satellet image and zoom in you will have to use map to find them
    note the thick wide moates.
    Fort davis is very impressive as a ZED fort.
    http://www.inyourfootsteps.com/sailing/harbours/europe/ireland/cork/52/cork_harbour_%28including_crosshaven_&_east_ferry_marina%29
    @Cork_FIg_01.2.jpg

Heres a picture of fort meahger near crosshaven in Cork
    Its there on right of picture
    note the moate its the black line in middle of picture
    zed free zone

Aerial_Crosshaven_Co_Cork_Ireland_03.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

Cork boy.... it's a good plan, but how many other people would have the same idea? hundreds I'm guessing

and bailey may, see you in the orderly queue for the stenna line yeah? :D

might be some good ideas here

http://www.abandonedireland.com/start.html

like in cork
    http://www.abandonedireland.com/Fort_Camden.html
    an another great close up shot of fort meagher
    Fort_Camden.jpg

In west cork theres Bear island
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bere_Island
    bere island has its own old fort as well(Fort berehaven)
    bflm1.jpg
    bfba6575.jpg
    lone1-filtered.jpg
    5full.jpg

SmileyPaul wrote: »
    Cork boy.... it's a good plan, but how many other people would have the same idea? hundreds I'm guessing

and bailey may, see you in the orderly queue for the stenna line yeah? :D

Kinsale fort is well known but not so much the others
    anyway it will be first come first serve
    the forts can be held against humans just as much as zombies.
    The very first people will have to decide how many people they can take in and then after that lock the gates and fight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46 baileymay

cork boy... youre a bit mad into this... like a bit too much...

Advertisement