Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Where Will You Be? [survivor Map]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

if you don't have a base of operations you will ultimately starve or feed the Z :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Blackdragon72

Yes, you need a base of operations, agreed. But, if you turn that base into a fortress then bear in mind that you are stuck in there until the zombies get bored, which they wont and if you dont have enough supplies then what?
    You will be better off making that BofO strong enough to withhold an immediate attack of which you will be suitably able to defend until you can organize an evac to a pre arranged RV where upon you can then figure out your next move which you should have planned out already anyway.
    If you have the knowledge and the ability to survive away from home then things will be fine, you will not starve.
    Come the apocalypse i will not only survive, i will flourish.

where?

I think you're missing the point of this thread dude :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Blackdragon72

Okay, i have to confess i have not read all the pages so i will head off now and read the lot.
    Sorry for jumping the gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Great tread, But i will sway for a moment if you don't mind,
    One i would stay away from the city's large towns Ireland has plenty of small Islands with good farming grounds. Plenty of rural Military Installments, forts, Castles, low populations for the land mass plenty of low populated areas. I would operate off land maybe the Shannon area venturing when i need resource that i can not achieve in my local area.

I would try and secure as many people as i could but would operated under a junta system.

Zombies would be a huge problem but what about other people that have their own groups that would surely try and stand on your patch survival of the fittest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭silentrust

if you don't have a base of operations you will ultimately starve or feed the Z :)

I have just finished reading Cody Lundun's "What to do when all hell breaks loose". He's a Survival expert who built his own home with his bare hands, eats rat-kebabs, filters his own urine for fertiliser... you get the idea.

He said he was training a doomsday cult who believed that an apocalypse was coming and one of them had an impressive looking Humvee with huge (empty) petrol tank strapped to the top of it.

The driver of course didn't have any answers when asked where he would be going or how he would fuel his vehicle in the long run. He hadn't thought beyond the rush he'd get from barelling over a post-apocalyptic landscape using up an ever dwindling supply of ammo as he took potshots at nearby Z-heads.

Aha you say but what if he uses it to drive to his cabin in the woods? In the first instance I would ask what you could do with your cabin in the woods that you can't do in your own home? Even someone in a tiny apartment can use vertical/rooftop gardening to grow large quantities of vegetables, collect rainwater and store other supplies.

Also, assuming you survived the trip, how could you be sure that your cabin in the woods won't be overrun already by either Zack or other survivors.

By all means have a fortress in a safe place but my suggestion would be to live there 24-7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Easter Island if it had more trees, in Ireland for a large group and I mean large a few thousand achill Islands only a bridge connecting it and plenty of land for crops, animals, shelters etc. But that be more later on where the threat and chaos is on the decrease, early on would say the island in lough derg forget the name anyway, safe easy access to the sea mainland and resources able to travel up and down the country for supplies and near me and my zombie survival kit.
    Which I think should be packed NOW!!! as it can be used for nuclear,alien,army,other invasions of sorts
    Achill Island wouldn't be great becuase when the tide goes out you can walk across the sea floor.

Yes, you need a base of operations, agreed. But, if you turn that base into a fortress then bear in mind that you are stuck in there until the zombies get bored, which they wont and if you dont have enough supplies then what?
    You will be better off making that BofO strong enough to withhold an immediate attack of which you will be suitably able to defend until you can organize an evac to a pre arranged RV where upon you can then figure out your next move which you should have planned out already anyway.
    If you have the knowledge and the ability to survive away from home then things will be fine, you will not starve.
    Come the apocalypse i will not only survive, i will flourish.
    Have two base of operations. Dig an underground tunnel from one to the other. When a load of zombies have gathered outside one residence, enter the secret passage and go to the safety of the second house. When the zombies find you again, retreat to the first house. As long as you don't do something really stupid, like let a zombie find it's way into the secret passage, you could repeat this process for a long time.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Have two base of operations. Dig an underground tunnel from one to the other. When a load of zombies have gathered outside one residence, enter the secret passage and go to the safety of the second house. When the zombies find you again, retreat to the first house. As long as you don't do something really stupid, like let a zombie find it's way into the secret passage, you could repeat this process for a long time.

Pray in the meantime they don't overrun both houses? :-D - No, always good to have a backup, I just get leery about people who stare into the middle distance announcing they're going to their cabin in the woods as the likelihood is that it'll be overrun long before you can get to it - unless of course you have digged said tunnel and can get there quickly! By all means have a country fortress but why not live there 24/7?

silentrust wrote: »
    Pray in the meantime they don't overrun both houses? :-D - No, always good to have a backup, I just get leery about people who stare into the middle distance announcing they're going to their cabin in the woods as the likelihood is that it'll be overrun long before you can get to it - unless of course you have digged said tunnel and can get there quickly! By all means have a country fortress but why not live there 24/7?
    If the zombies are like the ones in The Walking Dead then you wouldn't be able to stay in the same place because they would smell you, wait outside the residence and attract more zombies. No matter how secure the place, eventually the weight of all the zombies would crush the walls and you would be zombie food.

Realistically, how long would it take four men to dig an underground tunnel at least a half a mine long (this is the sort of question they should have in maths books. Kids would actually try to solve it then :D).

• Advertisement

If the zombies are like the ones in The Walking Dead then you wouldn't be able to stay in the same place because they would smell you, wait outside the residence and attract more zombies. No matter how secure the place, eventually the weight of all the zombies would crush the walls and you would be zombie food.

Realistically, how long would it take four men to dig an underground tunnel at least a half a mine long (this is the sort of question they should have in maths books. Kids would actually try to solve it then :D).

Certainly if the living dead have overrun your house and you're tunneling, there'd never be a better time to learn! :-)

What's good is that we're drawing a distinction beetween survival strategies for the slow flesh eating type of zombie versus the fast brain eating ones. If it's the former than my small allotment and house despite their concrete walls will rapidly crumble and be overrun and anyone in a petrol powered vehicle might have a temporary advantage in that they could remain mobile (still a powerful argument there for a horse which can be fuelled pretty much indefinitely by oats and grass...)

Sadly as I approach my thirties I am becoming a boring old fart of a Survivalist and trying to develop a strategy to avoid economic collapse, global pandemics, flash floods and the like on the basis they're more probable than a T-Virus outbreak so am taking an obsessive interest in recycling, purifying water and cultivating vegetables and dwarf citrus plants.

Perhaps a good modification to the plan would be to live somewhere higher up . How do the zombies in The Walking Dead deal with stairs, lifts, ladders, that sort of thing? I suppose a tunnel would at least force them to come at you one at a time. :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Problem solved gents :D

946313_473148036095276_1418366539_n.jpg

^^^^^ I hate to burst your bubble but that would only be good for about a month or so for the following reasons.

1. Even with a generator to provide the power to open and close all the doors and windows, eventually you would run out of petrol and have to go on a scavaging hunt like a regular peasant.

2. A well stocked larder of dry goods would eventually run out. It's all very well being save and secure but you wouldn't last long with a seige of zoombies surrounding the place and going out on a hunt would be out of the question.

If you wanted to stay there and are really committed to surviving the apocalypse a couple of modifications would be necessary:

1. Incorporate solar panels so that you are not relying on petrol or disel, which only have a life of about a year so even if scavenger hunts were viable, long term you would run out.

2. Convert the roof into a garden. Build a wall about three or four feet high on the roof and fill it in with soil and start growing potatoes. They are the easiest and most nutritious food source to grow. It would get very boring eating them every day but at least you would be alive. Hopefully the zombie infection wouldn't be like in TWD where everyone will turn into one anyway and you can hold out for a year or two until they die out.

Problem solved gents :D

946313_473148036095276_1418366539_n.jpg

Just make sure you live alone. Last thing you want is Gran turning and stumbling over her knitting in a bid to gnaw on your brains... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Whoever set the perimeter up around UCD I think you're on the ball.

Firstly as a UCD student I can proudly say there isn't a brain in the place, so the Zombies may not be attracted to it :pac::pac:

But other than that there are plenty of high vantage points and building surrounded by open space, giving you warning if zombies are moving your direction. The buildings are infamously strong concrete.

There is always lots of construction going on, which provides heavy vehicles, tools / weapons, generators and that sort of thing. All of the residences are fenced and walled.

The place is designed to survive freshers week, zombies shouldn't be a problem. It may not be our first go to zone, but if upwards of 50 of us survive it may be the place to begin to fight back from.

^^^^^ I hate to burst your bubble but that would only be good for about a month or so for the following reasons.

1. Even with a generator to provide the power to open and close all the doors and windows, eventually you would run out of petrol and have to go on a scavaging hunt like a regular peasant.

2. A well stocked larder of dry goods would eventually run out. It's all very well being save and secure but you wouldn't last long with a seige of zoombies surrounding the place and going out on a hunt would be out of the question.

If you wanted to stay there and are really committed to surviving the apocalypse a couple of modifications would be necessary:

1. Incorporate solar panels so that you are not relying on petrol or disel, which only have a life of about a year so even if scavenger hunts were viable, long term you would run out.

2. Convert the roof into a garden. Build a wall about three or four feet high on the roof and fill it in with soil and start growing potatoes. They are the easiest and most nutritious food source to grow. It would get very boring eating them every day but at least you would be alive. Hopefully the zombie infection wouldn't be like in TWD where everyone will turn into one anyway and you can hold out for a year or two until they die out.

Excellent advice Paddycow - I'd also suggest a few rain butts on the roof as well as grey water filters on your sinks and baths so you can reuse it for irrigating the roof garden. Sorry to be pedantic but it makes all the difference between a fortress to live in and a cage in which to rot. :)

Excellent advice Paddycow - I'd also suggest a few rain butts on the roof as well as grey water filters on your sinks and baths so you can reuse it for irrigating the roof garden. Sorry to be pedantic but it makes all the difference between a fortress to live in and a cage in which to rot. :)
    I totally agree with you. Seeing as how they went to all the effort of building an impregnable fortress a few modifications shouldn't be an issue ;) You could easily rig up a basic rain water catchment. When they are building the wall around the garden they would also need to have a few run off drains. It's all very good and well having a crop of potatoes but if they become too water logged they won't yield a decent (if any) crop.

I totally agree with you. Seeing as how they went to all the effort of building an impregnable fortress a few modifications shouldn't be an issue ;) You could easily rig up a basic rain water catchment. When they are building the wall around the garden they would also need to have a few run off drains. It's all very good and well having a crop of potatoes but if they become too water logged they won't yield a decent (if any) crop.

Good thinking Paddy - of course the time to start the rooftop garden is now to find out which crops aren't too thirsty!

I've always said some fresh water, a toothbrush and a pack of playing cards are actually going to help you last longer when the SHTF than a shotgun but opinion seems to be divided on this subject. :)

Good thinking Paddy - of course the time to start the rooftop garden is now to find out which crops aren't too thirsty!

I've always said some fresh water, a toothbrush and a pack of playing cards are actually going to help you last longer when the SHTF than a shotgun but opinion seems to be divided on this subject.
    :)
    I don't think people think about this enough. Initially all you would think about is immediate survival but humans are social creatures and once you had found a safe place to hide out in, then normal human sh!te would take over. It's all very good and well having a safe place to shelter from the zeds but after awhile people would start to get cabin fever. It would be important to have a lot of things to keep people occupied, so as well as having a good food and water supply, I would also have a large stock of games and encyclopedias.

We have gotton very used to being able to goole everying but in a Z outbrake all power would go down. If you had books in your house which could arm you with resourses you would be better equipped than someone who had no information. I'm pretty sure that many people who now consider themselves maths/physics/it phopes who soon educate themselves if their lies depended upon it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

I don't think people think about this enough. Initially all you would think about is immediate survival but humans are social creatures and once you had found a safe place to hide out in, then normal human sh!te would take over. It's all very good and well having a safe place to shelter from the zeds but after awhile people would start to get cabin fever. It would be important to have a lot of things to keep people occupied, so as well as having a good food and water supply, I would also have a large stock of games and encyclopedias.

pack for immediate survival.
    if it takes long enough such that boredom is an issue, go scavenge some entertainment. besides, you can make games out of practically anything, anyway.

• Advertisement

Kromdar wrote: »
    pack for immediate survival.
    if it takes long enough such that boredom is an issue, go scavenge some entertainment. besides, you can make games out of practically anything, anyway.

To be frank I think that's a little short sighted.

We can all agree that however the SHTF we and our loved ones will probably want something better to do of an evening than assemble and clean a rifle over and over.

Scavenger hunts are all well and fine but I prefer the certainty of having a few travel sized games in my shed along with a couple of decks of cards - not only do these stave off boredom, they have educational value.

As Paddy says books are invaluable for the same reason. If you end up looking after any children they'll be indispensable in teaching them how to read and master basic knowledge of useful subjects like electronics and gardening.

Of course you might want to venture outside and risk life and limb on the offchance people have left such things lying around - but I think you'll find quite a few people will have the same idea and in the event of any kind of social collapse will have already plundered anything of value - this is why forward thinkin people like us start laying up stuff now.

My survival plan doesn't include weapons of any kind as controversial as that may sound! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

weapons could be improvised too. i'm just saying, you can make games out of random items. sure books are valuable, but not as much as clothes, fuel, food, water and [naturally] toilet paper!

weapons could be improvised too. i'm just saying, you can make games out of random items. sure books are valuable, but not as much as clothes, fuel, food, water and [naturally] toilet paper!

I like to think it's not either/or - can we have clothes, fuel, food, water and toilet paper as well as books and games? If space is at a premium (as it always is!), decks of cards and the small "travel" versions of board games are probably best.

As I said, I think if you lay in a few of these you might actually have something very valuable to trade, if of course you can find someone able and willing to do so!

Books would be worth their weight in gold (proper books that is, not Mills&Boon). Unless your bff is Bear Grylls, chances are the people you meet will have very few survival skills. Most people I know can't even thread a needle, never mind mend clothes or make some from scratch. What happens when you need to mend something and lack the knowledge to do it? You'll be jealous of me and my pile of encyclopedia's then! :p

Books would be worth their weight in gold (proper books that is, not Mills&Boon). Unless your bff is Bear Grylls, chances are the people you meet will have very few survival skills. Most people I know can't even thread a needle, never mind mend clothes or make some from scratch. What happens when you need to mend something and lack the knowledge to do it? You'll be jealous of me and my pile of encyclopedia's then! :p

My father's partner has over 400 Mills & Boon medical romance novels, you know the kind, "He's a Doctor, she's a nurse, will they ever be free from the chains of judgement and social oppression?"* - I've asked him to hang on to them though as in a pinch they can make good kindling. Pulped they could also be useful for insulation! :-)

Seriously though this is very important as there is so much useful literature out there now on homesteading, growing your own food and veg, making your own clothes etc. but I don't need to tell all of you that for every one book out there with simple instructions and plain diagrams, there are ten which aren't worth the paper they're printed on, written by some armchair prepper.

*During my heady college days I lived next to a residential centre for nurses in training. Having enjoyed the attentions of several of these young ladies I can say from personal experience that they are actually quite open minded upon whom they bestow their affections!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

MOD Warning given.

GBOA wrote: »
    You could add East Belfast as I've been living there a year now surrounded by zombies and I've yet to be overwhelmed. I always take my 12 gauge to the shops though, just in case they should smell me out...

Without wishing to reignite sectarian tensions, I had a call about a potential job today in Cork - when I mentioned I moved to Ireland as my partner is Irish, the interviewer tactfully asked if my SO was from Dublin itself as apparently there is a bitter rivalry between the two cities of Dublin and Cork that rivals even your North/South divide - who would have guessed?

Re: Northern Ireland, thought I should get this out of the way as an Englishman living here, please by all means have your six counties back if you want them, I wash my hands of the whole thing! :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭GBOA

I was going to offer to hire out the concrete bomb shelter at the end of my garden, which I believe is highly zombie proof (once I replace the door) but may lack the amount of room in which to live comfortably and store adequate quantities of provisions. It is also without a power supply, not that I'd expect that to last long aftter the onset of the zombie apocalypse anyway.

If any of you survive the zombies and make it as far as Belfast, keep an eye out for the signals and you should find me. I can't take you in but I can at least give you a can of beans for the onward journey.

PS. My previous comment was meant to be amusing. I must apologise if it was misunderstood and not taken as such.

Stay on topic please gentlemen. I've spoken in private about the previous statement and it's all gravy.

• Advertisement

Stay on topic please gentlemen. I've spoken in private about the previous statement and it's all gravy.

What makes you think my bugout location isn't in Cork? :-D

Advertisement