Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DTT/SAT Combo Boxes List 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I am trying to follow the advise here but I am getting a little lost. Will This HUMAX FOXSAT-HDR be able to receive Irish digital TV as well as freesat or am I totally not understanding this at all?
    It might be. Using a 2nd small dish in a box, (or offset feed on solid 80cm dish) and a Diseqc switch outdoor at existing dish/LNB.

It's very likely, but we won't know for sure till the Saorsat signal is available next year. But the Launch on 31st Oct is only a "technical or soft launch". The full public launch of Saorview (Irish Digital Terrestrial) seems to be after Saorsat is available and a 2nd Mux is running on at least the main transmitters. Full Public Launch is at a "yet to be announced" date between Q2 2011 and end of 2011. Saorsat is unlikely to be running before Feb 2011. Probably 2 months after launch of Kasat (scheduled Nov 2010 to Jan 2011).

Basically no TVs or Setboxes have been "officially" publicly approved. No announcements are apparently intended until after 31st October 2010. Walker claims to have an approved DTT box.

Official Specs and tests will be updated here: http://www.digitaltelevision.ie/ and possibly here http://rtenl.ie/dtt.htm

Unofficial Tests and Specs on various threads on boards here, which are hard to search as "three letter acronyms" don't work on boards search and threads get filled with silly or smart questions...
    So check unofficial sites here http://www.rtedigital.com/
    And http://www.techtir.ie/saortv
    (links to specifications and other info as available)

I am trying to follow the advise here but I am getting a little lost. Will This HUMAX FOXSAT-HDR be able to receive Irish digital TV as well as freesat or am I totally not understanding this at all?
    Apogee wrote: »
    No, the Foxsat can only record digital satellite, not digital terrestrial.

But when the service has PUBLIC launch Irish Digital TV should be on 9E Kasat Satellite also. Complete copy. It won't do Digital Terrestrial, but that won't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Apogee

watty wrote: »
    But when the service has PUBLIC launch Irish Digital TV should be on 9E Kasat Satellite also. Complete copy. It won't do Digital Terrestrial, but that won't matter.

Which will require switching between Freesat and non-Freesat modes on the Humax. Hardly a convenient solution.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

No, all freesat STBs are freesat only. If you want Freesat and Saorview, you must buy a Panasonic G20 TV, or find the now no longer made LG and Sony sets. You need a Freesat HD and Freeview HD enabled TV. The Sony and LG would work but they are no longer in the market.

Also, Freesat sets must be set to Country=UK, which puts the Irish stations in the 800's. If you set the TV to Country=Ireland, the Irish channels are 1, 2, etc, but the satellite is FTA and not Freesat. (No 7 day EPG).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Apogee wrote: »
    Which will require switching between Freesat and non-Freesat modes on the Humax. Hardly a convenient solution.

Which is why you dont see MHEG5 in combo boxes. The germans are now involved with MHEG5 but they call it Multytext. MHEG5 is all about controling EPG and giving a universal feel.

Combo boxes are still the way forward as the sat will be always be an additional option. I am also concerned about how the majority of combo STB will handle the PVR facility for watching one channel whilst recording using the Diseq. How will that work ?

The combo still a very good solution as it does all three. The prices for combo products are down down down!

@Apogee. Yes its a pity about the support on the Alligator as it has the spec to do it and Radio|Man has a very good line of supply that is keeping product price exteremely low. I reckon that in order to port it to Enigma2 he would have to get some interest over at OpenPLi or do it himself.

All is not lost though on the Enigma2 front with cheap Combos with Wifi etc. The Qbox mini, remember that ? Well it now makes its way into the shops at the end of September according to one or 2 beta testers and supply chains. Here is a 12 minute video from a beta tester showing the facilities it has.

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=VQWHPG7T

• Advertisement

Basically, though we don't 100% know till the services (Soarview and Saorsat) are launched and there are approved TVs and Setboxes.

People are ill advised to buy anything especially for Irish Digital TV (Saorview or Saorsat) for at least a few months more and maybe till May/June 2011.

If you want UK TV anywhere in Ireland, then the best solution is an HD Freesat official box. Not a non-HD, nor any kludged un-approved box with reverse engineered Freesat EPG. Get an HD Freesat box even if you have no HDTV today.

RE: PVR and Diseqc and/or Combos.
    Make sure any box does HD and DVB-S2 if it's a Combo.
    Make sure the box supports Diseqc.
    If it's a a dual Satellite tuner (all proper PVRs have dual Terrestrial or Dual Satellite or two of each), then you need either a Multiswitch (with 3 unconnected inputs on the Kasat port) or 2 x Diseqc switches feed from two ports of quad for 28.2E and simply a splitter for 950MHz to 1700MHz on Kasat LNBF feeding 2nd port on both Diseqc switches.

Note:
    I have a 4 x sat in, 16 out multi-switch, so I can use one of the 4 signals on the 23.5 Quattro for Kasat (and then 3 of the 4 possible settings for 23.5 still work) and thus have sort of five satellites. As long as the Ka LNBF is on the appropriate H or V and low or High band port of a mult-switch the other 3 inputs (from a quattro) can be unconnected or used from another feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭Apogee

STB wrote: »
    Combo boxes are still the way forward as the sat will be always be an additional option. I am also concerned about how the majority of combo STB will handle the PVR facility for watching one channel whilst recording using the Diseq. How will that work ?

The engima based boxes are able to handle Diseqc switching/recording without any problems.

Even if someone opts for the all satellite 28E/9E approach in future, then currently it's the engima boxes which offer the best option - integrated Saorsat/Freesat epg on the one grid along with full Diseqc support. Plus the added bonus of C4HD and FiveHD from your FTV card as well.

All is not lost though on the Enigma2 front with cheap Combos with Wifi etc. The Qbox mini, remember that ? Well it now makes its way into the shops at the end of September according to one or 2 beta testers and supply chains. Here is a 12 minute video from a beta tester showing the facilities it has.

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=VQWHPG7T

I have a QBox-HD. The current firmware is far from the finished product. A major firmware revision is promised shortly. Although I've learned to treat promises from all satellite receiver manufacturers with a large degree of skepticism

Interestingly MediaHighway EPG is supported in the latest FW outside of E2!

How long before.......

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭raydar

Ive a Hitachi L32HPO4U A, i think its mpeg2 ,

Is a Combo HD STB the best option for dtt and Sat?

I also have an Otoma DV100 which i might use partime can this produce HD with the combo box?
    Thanks

raydar wrote: »
    Ive a Hitachi L32HPO4U A, i think its mpeg2 ,

Is a Combo HD STB the best option for dtt and Sat?

I also have an Otoma DV100 which i might use partime can this produce HD with the combo box?
    Thanks

I would suggest the Edision Argus mini 2n1 (SaorTV.com) cheapest. €160apx

Your projector can be fed from the rca sockets (No HDMI on the Otoma) OR Your TV can be fed by the HDMI out.

• Advertisement

Hey thanks, at present ive no signal connection to any transmisson ,cracking up and as it turns out im in an Apartment and there are no Sky dishes just UPC connection.

Are there any companys in Cork City that does combo boxes with Sat and DTT and full installation,

All the info in this forum has been really helpfull Cheers ;)

Your in the territory of having a balcony facing the right way so that you can see 282E (dishpointer.com should give you the answer). Bear in mind you may have to hide the dish on the balcony as in most apartment complexes you are simply not allowed stick up a permanent structure (a dish). There are ways around this if you are facing the right way and have the inclination to do this.

Hi STB you have shown great support , im getting there now ,Thank You

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I would suggest the Edision Argus mini 2n1 (SaorTV.com) cheapest. €160apx

Your projector can be fed from the rca sockets (No HDMI on the Otoma) OR Your TV can be fed by the HDMI out.
    That looks savage, thanks for the link.
    Is the UK channels in freesat or fta?

Edit: just seen now and next for satellite, im guessing that means FTA then. :)

Pangea wrote: »
    That looks savage, thanks for the link.
    Is the UK channels in freesat or fta?

Edit: just seen now and next for satellite, im guessing that means FTA then. :)

The FTA on 28.2 is Now/Next. Slegs sells em there is a monster thread here on it. Good support through here and the forum on saortv.

Only Combo's that do 7 day on both are linux based and double the price. Azbox HD. QBox Mini HD (not out yet) and QBox HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

While retuning BBC this morning I lost my terrestrial channels on my tm-6900hd super. Now when I scan for them I lose the sat channels and vice versa. Anybody know why I keep losing them?

Gipo3 wrote: »
    While retuning BBC this morning I lost my terrestrial channels on my tm-6900hd super. Now when I scan for them I lose the sat channels and vice versa. Anybody know why I keep losing them?

No.

Did you not set up a favourite list eg : DTT and Sat and then add the channels you want from each ?

Terrestrial Scans should not be lost unless you are not saving the scan results.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Am saving the results but I dont need to set up favorites. Before just installed both and they were on epg etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 med10n

I bought a Mvision HD300 Combo & am disappointed in it.Sorry I bought it.I've noticed that when plugged into the USB port,the external hard drive is permantly on even when the Mvision HD300 Combo is in standby mode.
    It's also a nuisance when setting a program to record,you can't set the end time.You have to set the program duration.OK if the program is on EPG.
    I have a Technomate 5200d (only covers satellite) & the USB port is off when the receiver is in standby mode.It's also much easier to set recordings.Also when playing back a recording on the Mvision,you can't bookmark so you have to fast forward if you want to replay the recording from one point.Mvision have no working website where I can contact them.Technomate are great for replying to questions.

Anybody know anything about the Technomate TM-8000 HD Combo PVR satellite receiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

med10n wrote: »
    I bought a Mvision HD300 Combo & am disappointed in it.Sorry I bought it.I've noticed that when plugged into the USB port,the external hard drive is permantly on even when the Mvision HD300 Combo is in standby mode.
    It's also a nuisance when setting a program to record,you can't set the end time.You have to set the program duration.OK if the program is on EPG.
    I have a Technomate 5200d (only covers satellite) & the USB port is off when the receiver is in standby mode.It's also much easier to set recordings.Also when playing back a recording on the Mvision,you can't bookmark so you have to fast forward if you want to replay the recording from one point.Mvision have no working website where I can contact them.Technomate are great for replying to questions.

Anybody know anything about the Technomate TM-8000 HD Combo PVR satellite receiver.

Yea should also checkout the Ferguson Ariva HD Combo - long thread about it here. Bought it for my parents, as a combo box its great. Haven't really used the PVR function myself though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Have an Azbox for satellite and was thinking of getting one of these -

http://www.saortv.com/shop/Digital-TV-Receivers/Linux/AZBox-HD-DVB-T-Tuner-Module/prod_39.html?review=read

Am I to assume it will only do decode Mpeg4 sd broadcasts?
    Will it do Rtenl hd broadcasts?
    When rte 2 goes to hd only on dtt will i lose it with this?

Many thanks for any info

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Have an Azbox for satellite and was thinking of getting one of these -

http://www.saortv.com/shop/Digital-TV-Receivers/Linux/AZBox-HD-DVB-T-Tuner-Module/prod_39.html?review=read

Am I to assume it will only do decode Mpeg4 sd broadcasts?
    Will it do Rtenl hd broadcasts?
    When rte 2 goes to hd only on dtt will i lose it with this?

Many thanks for any info

Works fine for all tests so far including HD, been using one for over a year.

gtg60 wrote: »
    Works fine for all tests so far including HD, been using one for over a year.

Cheers for that, what resolution does it output the hd test in?
    Are there any guarantees that it will be compliant with dtt hd when finally on air?
    Regards

Cheers for that, what resolution does it output the hd test in?
    Are there any guarantees that it will be compliant with dtt hd when finally on air?
    Regards

Didn't check resolution, looked stunning though, way better than any HD channel available from 28 East.

Has worked perfectly for over a year, can't see any major changes between now and the 'official' launch on the 31st but with RTE NL who can guarantee anything :rolleyes:

Didn't check resolution, looked stunning though, way better than any HD channel available from 28 East.

Has worked perfectly for over a year, can't see any major changes between now and the 'official' launch on the 31st but with RTE NL who can guarantee anything :rolleyes:

Fingers crossed so but as you say i am sure they wont make any major changes. You watching via hdmi i guess? Can your tv do 1080i?
    I have component only at the moment but even so hd channels far superior to sd.

Regards and thanks

Forgot to ask if MHEG5 is included i.e. for text and future interactive services along with sd and hd dtt.
    Cheers

Forgot to ask if MHEG5 is included i.e. for text and future interactive services along with sd and hd dtt.
    Cheers

No, it doesn't do MHEG5.

No, it doesn't do MHEG5.

Thought as much, thanks for confirming.
    I guess the chances of a DTT tuner for Azbox being manufactured with mpeg4 hd and mheg5 are slim as no other country has this spec?

Thought as much, thanks for confirming.
    I guess the chances of a DTT tuner for Azbox being manufactured with mpeg4 hd and mheg5 are slim as no other country has this spec?

MPEG4 and MHEG5 are not dealt with in the tuner, this is dealt with in the actual receiver, it IS possible that somebody may develop a plugin for MHEG5.
    With a usable E2 around the corner and the (hopeful) compatibility with E2 plugins it could become a reality (but don't hold your breath!).

• Advertisement

The "tuner" doesn't do MHEG5 or MPEG4 at all.
    Tuners are DVB-T, DVB-T2, DVB-S, DVB-S2, DVB-C, DVB-C2 etc (the '2 models all backward compatible)

MPEG4 is codec to de-compress video used by almost everyone for HD and now many for non-HD. Not specific to Ireland at all.

MHEG5 is free alternative to MHP (France), OpenTV (Thomson/NDS used by Sky) and MediaHighway(NDS, used by UPC). It does loads of stuff, not just Program Guide and Text. UK Freeview and UK Freesat use it as well as other places.

A UK "Freeview HD" spec TV or set-box is closest thing to Saorview that isn't Saorview. It's DVB-T2, but that is DVB-T compatible.
    See http://www.techtir.ie/saorview/preliminary

MHEG5 is likely to be valuable.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MHEG5
    http://www.impala.org/what-mheg

Advertisement