Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DTT/SAT Combo Boxes List 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

Firstly the 'Search' function is your friend as all of these questions have been asked before.
    topcatcbr wrote: »
    1. I have sky because i cannot get a quality signal for RTE or TV3 will i get a FTV digital signal.
    2. Is this going to be on the same broadcasting system.
    You will get a FTV digital service but not over satellite.
    3. Will i require an new arial on the roof. if so what type should it be.
    If you already receive (or can receive) the Irish analogue channels via a UHF aerial then you will not need any new aerials.
    4. What is the min equipment will i be required to buy. can i have a single box to decode both terrestrial digital and freeview satilite.
    This is exactly what this thread is listing, you just need to do a bit more research and you will find all the answers in detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

gtg60 wrote: »
    If you already receive (or can receive) the Irish analogue channels via a UHF aerial then you will not need any new aerials.

As long as its pointing to a main transmitter with dtt equipment, and not a relay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

TheDriver wrote: »
    As long as its pointing to a main transmitter with dtt equipment, and not a relay

How do i know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

You will get a FTV digital service but not over satellite.

Then how.

I do not have a UHF arial on the roof (i cannot get RTE without) but i need to know do i need one for this new service. I know that up north they do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

I do not have a UHF arial on the roof (i cannot get RTE without) but i need to know do i need one for this new service. I know that up north they do not.

Yes, you will need a UHF aerial, roof mounted is better than loft mounted, but it really depends on the DTT signal level where you are.
    Given the strength of the DTT signals "up north" at the moment, "they" do need one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

How do i know.

If you are in Portarlington then you will receive DTT from Kippure in South Wicklow on 794Mhz.

You do need a UHF aerial.

A single combo DTT/Sateliite box (see sticky on this topic) which takes a satellite input from your dish and a terrestrial input from your aerial will give you Irish and UK FTA digital TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Can any one suggest an easy to use combo box for techno phobe.
    Have an Sony Bravia Mpeg4 enabled TV, with a sky box for UK channels attached, at home, but am being told it's too dificult to use, as it doesn't which to the active scart unlike the previous tv, and I haven't found the setting on the sony to enable it.
    Am thinking a combo box with one remote would mean no switching between sky and DTT which is a pain on the Sony, not user friendly at all to select hdmi, scart or rgb composite inputs on the it.
    Which would best HD Combo box, PVR not really required, to use?

Get a Logitech Harmony remote. You can do all those steps (switch inputs etc) with one keypress.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Even a cheap Lidl remote with Macro can do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭JimG

a clanger wrote: »
    Has anybody got a combo box working with freesat and irish DTT in tadem i.e. using the same EPG, or is it possible at this stage. A system similar Sky+ is obviously what I would like to achieve.. Is this realistic and if so recommendations for a combo box appreciated. (ease of use would be main criteria)
    Has anybody got an answer to a clanger's question?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭cormacl

JimG wrote: »
    Has anybody got an answer to a clanger's question?

Dm8000 with a dtt tuner added. Freesat epg supported and dvb epg working fine for irish dtt. You can record all 4 dtt services at the same time, 2 different sat services at a time (but only one can be a HD service). You can also watch existing recordings while other recordings are active.

One bug is that switching to a dtt service from a hd satellite service causes a tune failure. Switching to a normal sat service for 20+ seconds and then back to the dtt service rectifies this. Dream is aware of the issue and will be releasing a fix at some point.

cormacl wrote: »
    Dm8000 with a dtt tuner added. Freesat epg supported and dvb epg working fine for irish dtt. You can record all 4 dtt services at the same time, 2 different sat services at a time (but only one can be a HD service). You can also watch existing recordings while other recordings are active.

One bug is that switching to a dtt service from a hd satellite service causes a tune failure. Switching to a normal sat service for 20+ seconds and then back to the dtt service rectifies this. Dream is aware of the issue and will be releasing a fix at some point.
    Thanks for that, cormacl. Are there two separate EPGs or one integrated one?

For info...the DM8000 setup Cormac has outlined is about 1000Eur

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭cormacl

Thanks for that, cormacl. Are there two separate EPGs or one integrated one?

When you launch a combined EPG with the dreamboxes, they base the combination on a selected bouquet of services.. a bouquet can be made up of any combination of sat, terrestrial or cable services.. so if you put all your stations on the one bouquet, then you have a single EPG.

The normal access to EPG data is via the current service.. you press the info button to see the current programme details and from there can access the EPG for that station.

However, in normal use, the green button can be programmed for quick access to a selected action.. in my case, I use it to access the Graph Multi EPG. The Channel list also shows what's curently showing on other stations.

I've attached some screenshots of this EPG showing the channel list with current programmes, single EPG, current programme details & the multi-epg

Slegs mentioned the setup cost is about 1000 Eur.. this convers only the base unit with S2 tuners, wifi and without a HDD. Its more really if you include the DTT tuner and then more again for an internal HDD.

Thanks again, cormacl. You went to a lot of trouble and I appreciate it. You answered my question very well. I have never even seen a dreambox in action, let alone use one, so I was totally ignorant about how it works. Having looked up prices even before slegs' warning, I don't think I'll see one for a while yet either! Hopefully there will be boxes aimed at the Irish market and they may get cheaper as time goes by. Thanks again. Thanks to slegs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭patrick whitty

the technomate 6900 will do everything you want just add a usb stick(8gb or more) you can also use an external hard disc. you can record or pause play.you can use it for irish dtt signals.the only thing you cant do is record a channel and watch a differnt channel unless it is on the same freq.it has to be patched to do all these things.
    pat

Thanks Patrick.
    If I decided to stay with Sky and get a Sky+ box and get my existing ROI card matched to it, I could use it to record any available programme on the EPG, but not from "other channels", so not ITV1/2/3 or BBC3/4 etc. Right?
    I also have a Freesat from Sky card which gives me the ITVs and BBCs on its EPG. If I put this in the Sky+ box, can I then record these channels?

Thanks Patrick.
    If I decided to stay with Sky and get a Sky+ box and get my existing ROI card matched to it, I could use it to record any available programme on the EPG, but not from "other channels", so not ITV1/2/3 or BBC3/4 etc. Right?
    I also have a Freesat from Sky card which gives me the ITVs and BBCs on its EPG. If I put this in the Sky+ box, can I then record these channels?

No, recording services are only enabled through a paired subscription card

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Can anybody tell me what a combo box actually is? I dont really have any idea...

How many channels can it get, any HD, and where can these combo boxes be bought? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Radio|Man

A Combo box is one box with two tuners, one DVB-T (Digital Terrestrial Broadcast or DTT) and the other DVB-S (Satellite).

A "combo box" will allow you to receive subscription free "FreeSat" from the UK via satellite and the 4 Irish terrestrial channels (RTE, TV3 and TG4) digitally.

Currently, you cannot receive the Irish terrestrial channels via satellite unless you have a SKY subscription.

As to where you can get one?

http://www.freetv.ie

• Advertisement

For info, the AZBox can now do 7 day freesat guide making it a full combo with seamless Irish DTT and UK freesat EPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Anyone seen the new Mvision HD300 Combo (terrestrial and Sat hD) 2 usb Ports. Apparently also now plays Divx!

HD300C.jpg

€180

Heres the New Technomate TM 7100HD with 2 sat tuners and 1 DTT Tuner and an RF Modulator.

USB on the front and the back and with blind search.
    Embedded cams - two built-in multicard card reader. CCAM.
    LNB loop through. UHF modulator loop though. 10000 channels. Digital output for the sound.

with a 500g hardrive PVR.... the silly price 500STG.

7100hd.jpg

7100hdrear.jpg

Its not Linux... so forget about freesat menus.....but you can record 2 channels at the one time and watch something else.....

Flyer 1 Flyer 2

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭zbluebirdz

STB wrote: »
    Heres the New Technomate TM 7100HD with 2 sat tuners and 1 DTT Tuner and an RF Modulator.

USB on the front and the back and with blind search.
    Embedded cams - two built-in multicard card reader. CCAM.
    LNB loop through. UHF modulator loop though. 10000 channels. Digital output for the sound.

with a 500g hardrive PVR.... the silly price 500STG.

Its not Linux... so forget about freesat menus.....but you can record 2 channels at the one time and watch something else.....

Flyer 1 Flyer 2

Would the DTT tuner pick up Irish DTT signals?

Yes. I have the 6900HD which is just a combo tuner dvb-s/dvb-t. This is the 3 tuner version.

Technonmate make good kit.

BTW. Alll the boxes in this thread do both Irish DTT and HD Sat as they are MPEG4 H264 (that was the point of the thread ;)).

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭spfeno

Dived into the deep end and just purchased the MVision HD300 Combo from SaorTV for teenagers/kids playroom

Have been toying around with the box and have managed to scan in the satellite channels (satellite is fixed with a quad LNB and another line running to main room with Sky subscription) and have saved & organised the channels I require BUT it isn't picking up any of the Terrestrial channels when I scan.

I'm living in Ratoath and have a large, roof mounted Yagi aerial pointing toward Three Rock (at least I'm assuming its Three Rock). All the terrestrial channels were being received perfectly prior to MVision box purchase (so why change it I hear you ask; )

SaorTV mentioned it could be receiving analogue signal from an in-fill transmitter (and not Three Rock - again as I've said I assume its Three Rock since its pointin that way).

Anyhow, on this thread a page or two back a question was asked relating to picking up DTT signal from a tranmsitter and not a relay but no aswer was given - so I'll ask it again

1. How do you know if your UHF aerial is pointing toward a main transmitter and not a relay

2. Since I'm living in Ratoath, does anyone know where I should have the UHF aerial pointing to in order to get DTT signal. Rather leave it alone if I don't have to move it as it's a large roofmounted piece of kit (professionally installed a number of years ago)

Hoping someone can help as its really bugging me

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭johnbk

I own a Technomate 6900 combo and have a Mvision combo at work. The Technomate isnt as fool proof IMO as the Mvision.

For example you must switch from sat to DTT to change channel on the Techno while all the channels (weather DTT or Sat) are together on the Mvision.

My views are my own.

johnbk wrote: »
    I own a Technomate 6900 combo and have a Mvision combo at work. The Technomate isnt as fool proof IMO as the Mvision.

For example you must switch from sat to DTT to change channel on the Techno while all the channels (weather DTT or Sat) are together on the Mvision.

Jon

I have the technomate 6900 and the clarketech 5000c. The Technomate does mix sat and dtt on one cannel list. Just create a favorites group and add the channels from DTT and any Sat as you wish.

More Pics of the Technomate triple tuner 7100HD.

Front and remote
    technomate7100clear.jpg

Slot for Internal HDD
    1tbdrive.jpg

Back
    technomate7100rear.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭patrick whitty

is your aerial v. or hor.check if you are not sure.

Advertisement