Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DTT/SAT Combo Boxes List 2009

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭joceadaigh

Do all these boxes talked about provide interactive service through the red button? I bought a simple strong sd receiver some years ago which doesn't just wondering if new boxes do. (since the launch of freesat perhaps?)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

No only official Freesat boxes and sky boxes have red button features so far.

joceadaigh wrote: »
    Do all these boxes talked about provide interactive service through the red button? I bought a simple strong sd receiver some years ago which doesn't just wondering if new boxes do. (since the launch of freesat perhaps?)

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

You dont get interactive digital teletext (MHEG5) but you can receive the screens BBC put behind their red button by tuning them in manually as individual channels. Very handy for golf, snooker, tennis, soccer full times on a Saturday etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Has anyone tried using the component output of any of the HD combo or FTA boxes, and how did it compare with HDMI?

I'm curious because I have a particular problem with an older HD Ready Samsung TV. The picture is excellent using a HDMI source. The trouble is, the TV has a fault, only when using HDMI input, which means it starts cutting out.

I'd like to give HD over component a try but all I have access to at the moment are newer Freesat and Sky HD boxes which of course no longer have component out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

sesswhat wrote: »
    Has anyone tried using the component output of any of the HD combo or FTA boxes, and how did it compare with HDMI?

I'm curious because I have a particular problem with an older HD Ready Samsung TV. The picture is excellent using a HDMI source. The trouble is, the TV has a fault, only when using HDMI input, which means it starts cutting out.

I'd like to give HD over component a try but all I have access to at the moment are newer Freesat and Sky HD boxes which of course no longer have component out.

Older Samsung ? Audio dropout ? or picture as well ?

First thing I would do is check the HDMI cable aint broken (stating the obvious I am sure) but check it with another device to eliminate a HDMI out problem on the sat box. Then whether the HDMI versions are the same i.e. the box the TV (version 1.0 to 1.3). The component wont be as good as the HDMI.

If none of these are the problem, start looking at firmware for that model to see if it has been an conflict that has been resolved via firmware.

Audio dropout very common over HDMI. Usually its HDMI versions that are the problem. Seems simple but there you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

Cheers STB. The whole set switches off after anything from a few minutes to an hour. I've been through the usual testing/hair pulling/contacting dealer/contacting manufacturer process :D.

I don't want to drag the thread off topic so suffice to say it's a 2006 model and not worth spending the money to fix the HDMI problem at this stage. I'm very pleased with the set otherwise as the picture is excellent through Scart and the inbuilt Freeview tuner, so I'm hoping to squeeze another while out of it.

I know component is only ever going to be second best but I just wondered if anyone had given it a try with the combo boxes, and just how much better than Scart/worse than HDMI it turned out to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

After numerous recording failures i think ive figured out what the problem is with my Mvision 300. If i insert a flash drive (To watch an avi file) into the front port, after i take it out you have to configure the mvision to scan the rear usb port before putting into standby.

Since i have been doing this my recordings seem to be back on track. Also when setting the timer, allow 1 minute between different timer settings (eg if your recording on 1 channel from 21.00-22.00 and then again on another channel at 22.00-23.00 make sure you finish the 1st one at 21.59 or start the next one at 22.01.

Also ive found when ive fast forwarded through adverts on a recording sometimes there is no sound (Mostly on hd recordings), Just rewind a few seconds and press play and sound will return and sync up.

Im using the latest speedy S/W (4.56 i think).

Hope this helps anyone out that may have or experienced the same problems as me.

Have to admit now the latest firmware allows the white FTV card to be read by the card reader its great for UK FTV/FTA channels (Ch4 HD) and the Irish DTT test.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 TomasM

spfeno wrote: »
    Dived into the deep end and just purchased the MVision HD300 Combo from SaorTV for teenagers/kids playroom

Have been toying around with the box and have managed to scan in the satellite channels (satellite is fixed with a quad LNB and another line running to main room with Sky subscription) and have saved & organised the channels I require BUT it isn't picking up any of the Terrestrial channels when I scan.

I'm living in Ratoath and have a large, roof mounted Yagi aerial pointing toward Three Rock (at least I'm assuming its Three Rock). All the terrestrial channels were being received perfectly prior to MVision box purchase (so why change it I hear you ask; )

SaorTV mentioned it could be receiving analogue signal from an in-fill transmitter (and not Three Rock - again as I've said I assume its Three Rock since its pointin that way).

Anyhow, on this thread a page or two back a question was asked relating to picking up DTT signal from a tranmsitter and not a relay but no aswer was given - so I'll ask it again

1. How do you know if your UHF aerial is pointing toward a main transmitter and not a relay

2. Since I'm living in Ratoath, does anyone know where I should have the UHF aerial pointing to in order to get DTT signal. Rather leave it alone if I don't have to move it as it's a large roofmounted piece of kit (professionally installed a number of years ago)

Hoping someone can help as its really bugging me
    Perfect Dtt reception in Dunshaughlin with Mvision HD-300 and small outside aerial.Tried with existing aerial which was for a/log and had masthead amp.-result no signal. Installed small aerial from B&Q and signal strength >85% and Quality 90%. HD symbol always present. If this continues - no need for Hi masts -just small ant+ 60 cms dish. Good TV Spefno TomasM

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Reesy

Hi guys,

The last time I looked at combo boxes with PVRs (about 9 months ago?) I concluded (maybe wrongly, of course) that they weren't mature enough (stable, easy to use, good features) to tempt me from my alternative - a Sky box. As it happens, I didn't buy that either but I'm moving closer.

Tell me, do you guys feel the PVR combo boxes are up there with Sky boxes now?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Is it time for a 2010 version of this thread? I'd love to hear what the best combo box is on the market at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭philahern

dnme wrote: »
    Is it time for a 2010 version of this thread? I'd love to hear what the best combo box is on the market at the moment.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭seanin4711

dnme wrote: »

+1

Nothing much has changed from that previous list! Anything in this thread is what is out there.

I will however update the list with a list of all boxes freely available. There is no best box as money will dictate what is best for an individual.

Combo Boxes range from €149 - €1000 depending on what you want!

Just to add here if people are waiting for an official freesat/DTT combo with merged 7 day guide - it wont happen.

The very best you could hope for is a combo box that has both but they wont be integrated into one guide (this can already be seen in operartion in TVs that have both Freeview (HD) and Freesat tuners). Even this is an unlikely solution outside of TVs. What happens here is that there are 2 inputs (DTT and Freesat). The reason for this is that the guide for both are part of an official licenced service and cant be interfered with by the manufacturer through merging channels etc.

There is another parallel here in terms of how non-freesat mode works on freesat boxes. When in non-freesat mode you lose 7 day guide for the freesat channels to get access to the other FTA satellite channels not on the freesat guide.

The only officially licenced merged 7 day guide solution I have seen is Windows Media Centre and this costs a few bob and a bit of patience to put together. Also has full PVR, series link and MHEG5 for DTT aertel. It ticks all the boxes. You can also go for Mediaportal which is also free but I would doubt the EPG content is licenced. For those who dont know it is totally possible to build a dedicated media centre PC for the living room connected over HDMI to your TV as your main TV receiver. Also has the added features of normal Windows functions - internet, email etc. Windows MC also does movies, music photos etc and has a host of plugins for other fancy functionality. The My Movies plugin allows you to catalog all your stored movies with cover images, synopsis etc. Most people add a wireless keyboard/mouse unit but it can be controlled via a normal remote also (or as part of a universal remote like the Logitech Harmony range). i have one in the living room and all the family use it everyday without issue.

After that you are looking at Linux combo solutions where the merged 7 day guide is not licenced and needs alot of knowhow to get working. Generally no MHEG5 or series link. Also, the default images wont have any of the EPG features so you will need to load up and configure new images and or plugins to get a feature rich combno solution.

That leaves the combo boxes without satellite 7 day guide (but with DTT 7 day guide). These are very easy to use for the average user and generally come with similar feature sets (PVR via USB, timer recording, upgradeable firmware, digital subtitles, no MHEG5 so digital teletext, no series link). But they are also very affordable compared to the solutions above.

So, as STB says it depends on your budget and what you are looking for. Don't expect FTA Sky+ with DTT for under 150eur. It doesnt exist. If you are looking for subscription free television and a family friendly solution to boot then combo boxes are the best compromise solution (IMO).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Radio|Man

This is a serious bit of kit available from www.freetv.ie

Solid as a rock.

Great spec. and flawless switching between terrestrial and satellite channels.

Really nice integrated EPG with event record plus PIP.

€199 for a linux box !

O2sN7l.jpg

Are the antennas for wi fi ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Apogee

@Radioman - could you provide some more info on the Alligator box?

Is there a full 7-day epg for satellite? Is it the Freesat EPG or the OpenTV/Sky EPG?

Can you record a DTT channel while watching a satellite channel and vice versa?

Is the firmware Enigma based or something else?

Can the box read Sky cards e.g. FTV cards?

Tony wrote: »
    Are the antennas for wi fi ?

Yes, they are for communication between two receivers or wifi.

The picture is a receiver loaded with both.

There is one antenna for each.

The modules an optional extra and cost about €30.

Cool

Radio|Man wrote: »
    Yes, they are for communication between two receivers or wifi.

The picture is a receiver loaded with both.

There is one antenna for each.

The modules an optional extra and cost about €30.

Apogee wrote: »
    @Radioman - could you provide some more info on the Alligator box?

Is there a full 7-day epg for satellite? Is it the Freesat EPG or the OpenTV/Sky EPG?

Can you record a DTT channel while watching a satellite channel and vice versa?

Is the firmware Enigma based or something else?

Can the box read Sky cards e.g. FTV cards?

I'll try get some more info and screen grabs of the EPG for you.

Have a look at the "Main Features" section of the image.

Conditional Access Interface
    PCMCIA: 2 Slots For DVB Common Interface Standard
    Smart Card: 2 Smart Card Support

DVB-T Tuner And Channel
    RF Input Range: VHF-High Band 149.5MHz ~ 426MHz,
    VHF-Low Band 50.5MHz ~ 142.5MHz, UHF-Band 434MHz ~ 858MHz
    Input/ Loop-Through Output Connector: 1 x Din Jack for DVB-T, 1x Din Jack for DVB-T Loop-Through Output
    (IEC 169-2 Female/Male)
    Input Impedance: 75[Ohms] Nominal
    Input Signal Level: -80dBm ~ -5dBm(64QAM, Code Rate 2/3, Guard Interval 1/32,
    Gaussian Channel)
    Digital Modulation Scheme: QPSK, 16-QAM, 64-QAM(Constellation)
    Guard Interval: 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 and 1/32
    Modulation Mode: 2K, 4k, 8K modes
    Supporting System: DVB-T(COFDM) Compliant (Frequency Band Modulation) ETSI 300 744
    IF BandWidth: 6/7/8MHz channel
    FEC Code Rates: 1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 5/6, 7/8

DVB-T MPEG TS A/V Decoding
    Transport Stream Format: MPEG-4 Part10 AVC/H.264 HD HP@L4.1 1920x1080@50/60Hz(MPEG-2 ISO/IEC 13818 Transport Stream Specification)
    Profile Level: MPEG-2 MP@HL, MPEG-4 Part10 AVC/H.264 HD HP@L4.1
    Input Rate: Maximum 31.668450Mb/s, 27.709893Mb/s
    Video Aspect Ratio: 4:3, Letter Box, 16:9, Pan & Scan
    Video Display Resolution: 1920x1080i, 1280x720p, 720x576i/p, 720x480i/p @ 50/60Hz
    Audio Decoding Format: Dolby Digital bit-streams, MPEG-1 Layer 1,2,3
    Audio Output Mode: Mono, Left, Right, Stereo, Dolby Digital bit-streams(PCM 5.1 Channel, Stereo down-mixed Dolby ProLogic)

A/V And Data Output
    Analog Component YPbPr: 1 Set(3xRCA Vertical Array Type)
    CVBS(Composite Video), Stereo Audio: 1 Set(3xRCA Vertical Array Type)
    S/PDIF Dolby Digital Interface: 1 Optical(Fiber Optic Type)
    HDMI (with HDCP Option): 1 Connector
    SCART Interface: TV/VCR
    USB2.0 Host Interface: 2 USB A-Type Connector
    Ethernet: 1 Connector RJ-45 10/100 Base-T
    RS-232C Data Port D-Sub9 Interface: Transfer Rate 115,200bps(Firmware Upgrade Port)

Conditional Access Interface
    PCMCIA: 2 Slots For DVB Common Interface Standard
    Smart Card: 2 Smart Card Support

Storage Device
    SATA(Serial ATA): 1 External eSATA Port

System Resource Information
    Main Processor: 300MHz MIPS32TM/16-e class CPU
    Flash ROM: Default 32Mbytes
    DDR SDRAM: Default 256Mbytes

Power Supply
    Input Voltage: AC 100-240V ~ 50/60Hz
    Power Consumption: Maximum 35Watts
    Protection: Separate Internal Fuse
    Type: SMPS(Switching Mode Power Supply)
    Safety And EMI: For Country Regulation

Physical Specification
    Dimension(WxDxH): 340x268x60[mm]
    Net Weight: About 3.0Kg
    Operation Temperature: 5°C ~ 50°C
    Storage Temperature: -40°C ~ 65°C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Apogee

Thanks, but the specs can't answer those Q's as they are firmware related rather than hardware. If you have time to test the box fully, could you test out whether the box can do any or all of the above?

Apogee wrote: »
    Thanks, but the specs can't answer those Q's as they are firmware related rather than hardware. If you have time to test the box fully, could you test out whether the box can do any or all of the above?

I certainly will.

By the way the product listed on freetv's website is NOT the alligator its the 9600HD.

These came out at the start of the year. Same chipset as the Qbox/Qbox Mini/IPCom boxes.

If you want to follow a discussion on these...... this will answer a lot of the questions.

http://translate.google.com/translate?js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=1&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sateliti.info%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D13352&sl=ro&tl=en

STB wrote: »
    By the way the product listed on freetv's website is NOT the alligator its the 9600HD.

No but they are available through the site for €199. Just mail them.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭scath

scath wrote: »

Looks good but its not a combo...no satellite

It's not the first freeview + HD[pvr like sky+ HD] either.

There were two models available in john lewis last week,a sagem and a phillips.
    I brought home the sagem one.

As requested.

8NdYMl.jpg

REErMl.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The alligator uses esata out to the hard disk recorder, you can get an esata to usb connector like sorta this which allows you to record onto a USB memory key :)

Advertisement