Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bank of Ireland Discussion Thread

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

Anyone here been buying, Ire broke through its August 2 $4.79 high, I expect sp to break its 0.93c Terp sp by earnings this wednesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Shambodie

Myggel wrote: »

Right now it has bottomed out. 16c or 25 c, it's all the same. Those gains are pittance and really not worth doing to make a few hundred quid within a few weeks.

I think it's a strong bank that has exposure to property but it's still a solid, conservative Irish bank. The US sub prime exposure was very limited as they invested in niche markets whereas AIB were lending for mortgages.

I've invested a bit over the last few months and to be honest have stopped looking at the daily losses and gains. I reckon they will easily be up to 5 euro again in 3 to 5 years. Not even factoring in possible dividends that seems like a sound investment. That's a yield of 3000%. A grand in shares now would cost 160. IF they get to 5 euro thats 5000 euro. Be careful though and don't bet the farm. Buying shares ARE A RISK, if it was easy sure we'd all be millionaires. If you lose your job or have to take a pay cut you might be forced to sell at a loss. This is just my 2 cents.

Things are bad, worse will probably come but we will come out the other end and things will improve. Don't be one of those ' I could have people'.

The only person in here talking any sense in my opinion. I Bought some at €0.86, they dropped like a stone to €0.12 (I am so sorry I missed it out on buying more then, but unfortunately I was away at the time) and finally I bought my share during the rights issue. This share was never a short term buy, and yes it was high risk to begin (I was conservative), but my logic was based on 2 possible outcomes:

Bank busts - small loss
    Bank survives - huge long term gains

€1000 at €0.12 = 8500 shares. Does anybody remember them going to €3.60 ish? That's about €30K if you were brave.

They'll never hit their €18 highs but I reckon given 5 years they could hit €5 and that's when I'm getting out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

I bought a lot at 20 cent but did I sell at €3.60 - no! I was up a couple of grand at one stage on these and AIB. The fact that they went up that high was pure speculation at a time when nobody could really value them correctly, most people who invested actually thought they were going back to €18, lol.

Comordha wrote: »
    I bought a lot at 20 cent but did I sell at €3.60 - no! I was up a couple of grand at one stage on these and AIB. The fact that they went up that high was pure speculation at a time when nobody could really value them correctly, most people who invested actually thought they were going back to €18, lol.

Lol it was ridiculous that anybody could think the crisis was over then, considered selling at €3.60 but my target was always €5. Would have been nice to get out, watch them crash again and sneak back in before the rights issue... but no regrets, I'll wait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

i bet the farm at 57c holding now over 260k of shares.....if they got to 5 I'd be home and dry with my loans on property so it's a long wait. total gamble but hopefully a reasoned punt otherwise i'm bust! we'll see but anglo are a total piece of the dogs jangly bits.....papers today are blaming anglo re the price of borrowing for the govt. for me Anglo blew the boom, the rest followed and tried to compete with anglo's outragous lending antics and here we are. It'll take a long time for institutional investors to believe in ireland again, here's hoping especially fDr BOI!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 764 ✭✭✭beagle001

Looking for constructive advise,
    I hold around 9000 Aib shares,was considering waiting a couple of weeks to see how they perform and if they move up a small piece bailout taking a significant loss and puttin the cash into Bank of Ireland shares.
    I dont want to keep investing in financials just want to make enough short gains to recoup my investment and put it into a vialbe investment down the line.
    Question when will Aib rights issue be and do yee see Bank of Ireland breaking the 1.20 mark before the new year?

beagle001 wrote: »
    Looking for constructive advise,
    I hold around 9000 Aib shares,was considering waiting a couple of weeks to see how they perform and if they move up a small piece bailout taking a significant loss and puttin the cash into Bank of Ireland shares.
    I dont want to keep investing in financials just want to make enough short gains to recoup my investment and put it into a vialbe investment down the line.
    Question when will Aib rights issue be and do yee see Bank of Ireland breaking the 1.20 mark before the new year?

What did you buy AIB for? Not sure when the rights issue will be. Also not sure about AIB considering they are selling off profitable investments abroad, so I wonder if they'll get the same response to the rights issue that BOI got (which was an overwhelming vote of confidence from shareholders). I reckon they're a long term investment.

As for BOI breaking €1.20 before the new year it's possible but if it were my money I wouldn't be betting on it, they're getting their business back in order and I think there is confidence there but that confidence will be easily shaken and I don't see any substantial 'good news' in the pipeline... I mean how good could their news be in their current situation? Hold on until they start paying dividends and pension funds go back into them. 2/3 years i'd guess

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Orion101

BOI dropping a lot these days - anyone know the cause - is it the annual report?

Thinking of buying back in if they go much lower - any views on how low they might go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Comordha

Maybe it's because it's an Irish Bank, have you thought of that yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Orion101

You're a great fella altogether...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 robmchl

I have two charts attached showing where I believe the important supply and demand levels are at the moment. Price has ranged between these for some time and hopefully will be of help to some if taking a position. 1st chart is a daily and the 2nd shows the much longer term picture where you'll see how these two levels have been used before. The range should be roughly between 88 and 60 so I wouldn't buy 85+ into 88 or sell 65- into 60. Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

as a slight aside, an AIB "investment adviser" rang me for a meeting today to discuss my investment portfolio......years ago I would maybe have listened to what they had to say, today I took immense sadistic pleasure to tell him and his bank manager to foxtrot oscar......in the most vile terms. Sheer anger at what that bank tried to do to me and my business who pulled all my businees loans on interest only facilities and demanded immediate capital repayments....BOI saw the light, saw my plan with tangible assets attached, a healthy cash flow, a large cash business account used miserly and took me on. I not the only soldier that AIB lit the blow torch on....BOI, may they flourish.

Back to topic but could'nt resist a heart felt rant and trust mods understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 dazzy8

what do ye think lads?
    can tomorrows budget kick any bit of life into BOI shares?

or are they a dead duck!

cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭AP_MAN

may be few cents up !!!
    dazzy8 wrote: »
    what do ye think lads?
    can tomorrows budget kick any bit of life into BOI shares?

or are they a dead duck!

cheers.

Advertisement