Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bank of Ireland Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Sensationalist rubbish tbh.

Posts like this don't help anyone. While there is a modicum of truth in some of your points the way you present them just makes you sound bitter and twisted against the government because your punt on BOI didn't work out. For that loss you would do well to take a closer look at yourself and the reasons YOU had for getting involved in a stock which you didn't know enough about.

Keep the government bashing to conversations with taxi drivers unless it's backed up by solid facts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭-mr.x-

that was a bit of an out burst...
    am yes we are going backwords, there has been alot of greed, but ya no this is what we call a rescession they come and go ,
    i do agree this is as bad as we have seen but like the rest of the world we will suffer financially for a couple of years,but then it will pass.

and your point on nationalisation, the top econimists in the country are unsure of what will happen :rolleyes:mabe they should listin to you!!!!!!!

i think your a bit:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭pocketdooz

Closing price today was 19 cents :rolleyes:

BoomBoom's €20,000 would now be worth €760.

How low can they go ? Well, I think we're finding out.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭turbo

When people in here start saying "now is a good time to buy" will it be too late then??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

its over for boi, aib next?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

I'm just wondering what sort of effect these super-low share prices actually have on the day-to-day trading of the bank, if any at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

16 cent, I think it is over, I think Nationalisation is very close

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭pandamoanium

Villain wrote: »
    16 cent, I think it is over, I think Nationalisation is very close

Are things really that bad? So the share price really does have a big effect on the banks general health, even if things otherwise were ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Myggel

Two trains of thought on investing in shares. Fundamental and Momentum approaches.

Fundamental: Look at the business as a whole, what it owns, the risks, it's balance sheet. Look at the share price and see what it's worth in that regard. BOI has just over one billion shares in ciculation so at 16 cent it's worth 160 million euro. ( It topped out at over 18 BILLION euro last year)

Momentum: Look at the share price and how it's going. If it goes up, get in until it starts to go down etc.

Right now it has bottomed out. 16c or 25 c, it's all the same. Those gains are pittance and really not worth doing to make a few hundred quid within a few weeks.

I think it's a strong bank that has exposure to property but it's still a solid, conservative Irish bank. The US sub prime exposure was very limited as they invested in niche markets whereas AIB were lending for mortgages.

I've invested a bit over the last few months and to be honest have stopped looking at the daily losses and gains. I reckon they will easily be up to 5 euro again in 3 to 5 years. Not even factoring in possible dividends that seems like a sound investment. That's a yield of 3000%. A grand in shares now would cost 160. IF they get to 5 euro thats 5000 euro. Be careful though and don't bet the farm. Buying shares ARE A RISK, if it was easy sure we'd all be millionaires. If you lose your job or have to take a pay cut you might be forced to sell at a loss. This is just my 2 cents.

Things are bad, worse will probably come but we will come out the other end and things will improve. Don't be one of those ' I could have people'.

The thing is though imo they haven't bottomed out because the bottom is 0 i.e. nationalised.

Anyone who buys bank shares at the moment is gambling imo, and if you can risk a gamble then it might be worth it but I think Cheltenham next could be just as good a gamble!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

.14c

Bad timing for Customers to be getting letters offering Pref shares :D

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

.13c:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭-mr.x-

this is crazy, there has been no real news .........yet 13cent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

WTF hasent the gov released a statement explaining what route they are going to choose between bad bank-entitiy being setup or some kind of bad debt insurance scheme, surly this would instill confidence and possibly bring stability to boi-aib, **** waiting for eu disney land, time to pull out your fingers ministers and act now, shower of ****ing waisters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

is it me or is there a media ban on reporting the state of play with boi shares?
    When anglo shares started nose diving there was a lot of media comment but i havent heard a thing about it. I believe the shares are 14cent at the moment but still not a whisper......:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

pipsqueak wrote: »
    is it me or is there a media ban on reporting the state of play with boi shares?
    When anglo shares started nose diving there was a lot of media comment but i havent heard a thing about it. I believe the shares are 14cent at the moment but still not a whisper......:confused:

I find that quite annoying too. I guess they can only have so many "Share prices in such-and-such have plummeted" articles/headlines before people get seriously bored with them but it would be nice to be informed and read/hear some attempt at an explanation of why!

Myggel wrote: »
    Two trains of thought on investing in shares. Fundamental and Momentum approaches.

Fundamental: Look at the business as a whole, what it owns, the risks, it's balance sheet. Look at the share price and see what it's worth in that regard. BOI has just over one billion shares in ciculation so at 16 cent it's worth 160 million euro. ( It topped out at over 18 BILLION euro last year)

Momentum: Look at the share price and how it's going. If it goes up, get in until it starts to go down etc.

Right now it has bottomed out. 16c or 25 c, it's all the same. Those gains are pittance and really not worth doing to make a few hundred quid within a few weeks.

I think it's a strong bank that has exposure to property but it's still a solid, conservative Irish bank. The US sub prime exposure was very limited as they invested in niche markets whereas AIB were lending for mortgages.

I've invested a bit over the last few months and to be honest have stopped looking at the daily losses and gains. I reckon they will easily be up to 5 euro again in 3 to 5 years. Not even factoring in possible dividends that seems like a sound investment. That's a yield of 3000%. A grand in shares now would cost 160. IF they get to 5 euro thats 5000 euro. Be careful though and don't bet the farm. Buying shares ARE A RISK, if it was easy sure we'd all be millionaires. If you lose your job or have to take a pay cut you might be forced to sell at a loss. This is just my 2 cents.

Things are bad, worse will probably come but we will come out the other end and things will improve. Don't be one of those ' I could have people'.

A complete load of nonsense imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭ranger4

pocketdooz wrote: »
    A complete load of nonsense imo

sure wish someone had posted info and charts showing the cds of boi-aib, shareholders going to get shafted again.

Someone bought a good chunk after hours with the last trade price of 15.5 cent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Seriously guys, anyone still contemplating buying shares would be better off playing roulette with the money (I'm deadly serious).

Just because a company has been around since forever, and performed well in the past, that's completely irrelevant.

Look at General Motors. It was once the largest car maker and most valuable company in the world. In a few months, it will be all over.

Look at Citigroup. It was once one of the largest investment banks in the world. Now the government owns 40%, and will pretty soon own the rest.

Look at Nortel. The biggest telecoms company in Canada and once the most valuable company worth $366 billion. Today it is now bankrupt. If you had bought a share at peak of $1,000, you would have got compensation of nothing. Zero, zip, nadda!

These companies weren't mickey mouse companies either! They've all been around much longer than AIB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

Can anyone actually see them now going back to zero?

Can anyone not see them going to zero ?

What catalyst can you see making them go up in value ?

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

Can anyone not see them going to zero ?

What catalyst can you see making them go up in value ?

I presume you are joking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Glacier

Seriously, though?

Compak wrote: »
    I presume you are joking

No, of course I'm not

No, of course I'm not

Good man, without people like you I would not make so much money out of peoples fear.
    While I dont like BOI Im sure your sentiments hold through for my holding of AIB.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 Monsoon26

catalyst: govt announcement on anglo bad bank to dump toxic boi loans?

• Advertisement

daveirl wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Lets agree to disagree for 6mths to 2yrs plus ay?

Why would you think institutes are dumping? AIB is up in institute buying

Advertisement