Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This weeks Classic Irish bargains that i'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Sobanek wrote: »

My 17 year old niece likes them as well, something to do with some TV show or other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

jimgoose wrote: »
    Agreed. I'm a Cadillac El Dorado man myself, but American personal luxury cars of around that era are properly cool. :cool::cool::cool:

I'd have loved an 8.0 one but they went FWD way too early.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I'd have loved an 8.0 one but they went FWD way too early.

You mean the ol' 500-inch monster of 1970-76? She was 8.2, chief! :D

You mean the ol' 500-inch monster of 1970-76? She was 8.2, chief! :D

Aye, that's the one.
    Beautiful car, you'd see a couple at the shows in Kilbeggan but I could never buy one. RWD or nuthin laaaad :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭tc20

^

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/1973-cadillac-eldarado-convertable/7992898

this was our wedding car back in 2003, a beauty :cool:

• Advertisement

Pure Class!!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKzjyhFt62jgHRKXFqWcHH_rynzmttGunVeysZPzJ_P1nw2NuA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

TANK..

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

dharn wrote: »
    TANK..

But a nice big tank!

11wingnut wrote: »
    But a nice big tank!
    +1
    I love the full size sedan shape from the mid 60's to early 70's (ie before downsizing took full effect).

It's stylistically actually not too dissimilar to my '68 mopar, the front end looks different but the general shape.

Aye, that's the one.
    Beautiful car, you'd see a couple at the shows in Kilbeggan but I could never buy one. RWD or nuthin laaaad :P

Do you mean to tell me that the 500-inch El Dorado is front-wheel drive?? :confused:

• Advertisement

Do you mean to tell me that the 500-inch El Dorado is front-wheel drive?? :confused:
    Yup. They went FWD in 1967, and the 500 was introduced in 1969 or 1970.

Yup. They went FWD in 1967, and the 500 was introduced in 1969 or 1970.

Jaysis. Like the Incredible Hulk's Yaris. You learn something new every day!

Jaysis. Like the Incredible Hulk's Yaris. You learn something new every day!

I didn't know myself till relatively recently.
    Got talking to an el dorado owner at Kilbeggan last year. i didnt believe him till I looked it up online.

Mad when you think about it, the move to FWD was ostensibly for economy reasons - yet they increased the engine size to 500ci ??
    Crazy yanks :P

I didn't know myself till relatively recently.
    Got talking to an el dorado owner at Kilbeggan last year. i didnt believe him till I looked it up online.

Mad when you think about it, the move to FWD was ostensibly for economy reasons - yet they increased the engine size to 500ci ??
    Crazy yanks :P

The torque-steer must be something to behold! :pac::pac::pac:

Now then. For those of you who think Yank V8s are crazy, here's a rather fine 1935 Packard with the L-Head V12:

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C536917

5125303.jpg

5125311.jpg

Almost as crazy as the v16 cadillac from the '30s that was for sale not so long ago on carandclassic!

Almost as crazy as the v16 cadillac from the '30s that was for sale not so long ago on carandclassic!

Proper, coach-built bitta kit that, like your Packards and Hispano-Suizas and your Duesenbergs. Real cars.

Or how about a 1919 Pierce-Arrow 66 A-4 Tourer Fatty Arbuckle Special? This thing has an 825-inch (13.52l) straight-six and has, in my view, just upstaged the Stutz Bearcat as the greatest car model name ever:

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/Archive/Event/Item/1919-PIERCE-ARROW-66-A-4-TOURER-FATTY-ARBUCKLES-137862

137862_Front_3-4_Web.jpg

137862_Engine_Web.jpg

Now that is beautiful.

How much does that baby set you back?

Now that is beautiful.

How much does that baby set you back?

I have absolutely no idea, but it cost €32,000 in 1919 and didn't meet the reserve at auction last year. So I should say, lots! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I have absolutely no idea, but it cost €32,000 in 1919 and didn't meet the reserve at auction last year. So I should say, lots! :pac:

'Fatty' Arbuckle - Movie contract of $3 mil in 1919 worth $45 mil now - car was $32k worth $451,973 now :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Proper, coach-built bitta kit that, like your Packards and Hispano-Suizas and your Duesenbergs. Real cars.

Ya learn something everyday, I was not aware that hispano suiza ever made cars, I only know of them because of their 20mm autocannon. Butt the cars are a thing of beauty

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hispano-Suiza_HS.404

....I only know of them because of their 20mm autocannon......:cool:

Something you're not telling us ? :rolleyes: :P

Of course Lamborghini and Aston Martin were associated with tractors ...

Occasional battle re enactor, If anyone has a schwimwagen they aint using I would give it a good home

we had a lambo tractor when I was a chap, did not know that about aston either

Ah now, I just googled it, the DB astons were built by the same david brown of the tractor company, we had one of those too, but I dont think you could say that aston made tractors.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Not really. Back then it was expensive to make a car, particularly parts and labour. Petrol on the other hand cost nothing before the oil crisis of '73 - about $0.40 per gallon :)

The torque-steer must be something to behold! :pac::pac::pac:

Capri wrote: »

Of course Lamborghini and Aston Martin were associated with tractors ...

And Jensen.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

hi5 wrote: »
    Pure Class!!!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKzjyhFt62jgHRKXFqWcHH_rynzmttGunVeysZPzJ_P1nw2NuA

Is that you BOSS HOGG !:cool::P

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement