Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

For those about to chat...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,527 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Me too. I wanted to learn guitar when I was younger, but was told piano was better. But at that age, I wanted to play Blur and Oasis songs. Not feckin Beethoven. If I had an ounce of the maturity I have now, I would have kept it up.

I got a midi controller a while back and can remember all my old scales, but am trying to re-learn chords. Due to a combination of space issues and general discipline, it's not going too well. But I'm determined!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I remember when I lived in Galway there was someone near me who was learning guitar and the only song they seemed to be able to play was Wonderwall. Every day, Wonderwall.

I fecking hate Oasis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Angron wrote: »
    I remember when I lived in Galway there was someone near me who was learning guitar and the only song they seemed to be able to play was Wonderwall. Every day, Wonderwall.

I fecking hate Oasis.

That reminds me of that year I went to Oxegen, **** with guitars who didn't know how to play anything else.

Urgh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Hey folksies ;)

What we getting for Christmas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I've decided I'm going to learn piano. I was messing around with a DAW over the weekend, and making noises. I'm going to order a midi keyboard when I have enough saved up. I have a crappy guitar and drum set, from my teenage dreams of being in a band, but I learned them with all the enthusiasm of a dreaming teenager (so I learned a power chord and one drum rhythm and left it at that.)

I had to come home to my parents for a few days. They have my mother's childhood piano after my grandmother died. She was forced to learn and never kept it up. I was sitting at it practicing scales for a bit. I came back into the kitchen and my father said that's the most it's been played in thirty years. It's horribly out of tune, of course.

I know piano isn't the most rock and roll instrument, but I figure it's the best for learning how to write songs. And it has the bonus of when you press a key it sounds like something, unlike when I strum a guitar.

Piano is a brilliant instrument to learn. Most people I know who can play also pick up other instruments quite easily due to the strong knowledge from learning piano.

Good luck! Would love to be able to play it as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

I'd love to learn the violin. Sounds beautiful.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Links234 wrote: »
    Hey folksies ;)

I just made a long list of books and told the missus to get me 4 or 5 from it. Other than that there's not a whole lot I want. Playstation is gone kaput so gaming is done until I finish the PhD.

Getting Explosions in the Sky tickets as part of Xmas as well actually.

You expecting anything nice yourself?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Hey folksies ;)

A PS4 and a new TV. Partly paid by me but the help is much appreciated from the parents. TV has stopped working and I'm stuck on a portable one at the minute. PS4 just because :D.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Saving up to get myself a PS4, I'll probably get a few books from my family, which I am perfectly happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭westernfrenzy

Hoping to get a pet unicorn :D

• Advertisement

Oooh, PS4s all round, how aweseom. Sorry to hear yours is crapped out, ScienceNerd.

I think I've some clothes from my mum, and a book, Blood of Elves by Andrzej Sapkowski. I'm asking my girlfriend for a Steam Controller, which I'm rather excited about because I can use it to play games that you can usually only play with keyboard & mouse. Trusty old Xbox360 controller may not get much time after that though.

Oooh, PS4s all round, how aweseom. Sorry to hear yours is crapped out, ScienceNerd.

I think I've some clothes from my mum, and a book, Blood of Elves by Andrzej Sapkowski. I'm asking my girlfriend for a Steam Controller, which I'm rather excited about because I can use it to play games that you can usually only play with keyboard & mouse. Trusty old Xbox360 controller may not get much time after that though.

Nice. I saw you've been player the first Witcher as well. Did you read the Last Wish? I have it but haven't gotten around to reading any of it yet.

Somnus wrote: »
    Nice. I saw you've been player the first Witcher as well. Did you read the Last Wish? I have it but haven't gotten around to reading any of it yet.

Yeah, I'm working on finishing Witcher 1 & 2 before getting 3 at some point, maybe when there's a game of the year edition or something. I've been really itching to get Witcher 3 but I want to wait.

I'm halfway through The Last Wish, it's really, really good. Very gripping read.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

To add my 2 cents to the musical instruments discussion, I know my way around a drum kit :D, kinda wish i had the full blown interest to keep it up.. Would be better than a certain Danish drummer, well i think so anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,216 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Angron wrote: »
    Saving up to get myself a PS4, I'll probably get a few books from my family, which I am perfectly happy with.

Look into the buy now pay later from argos. Have 6 months to pay it off before any interest on remaining amount starts. It's how I have mine!

I forgot, I was thinking about asking for some new brewing equipment before, because I was hoping to go onto all grain brewing, but I don't know if I'm ready for that just yet.

I forgot, I was thinking about asking for some new brewing equipment before, because I was hoping to go onto all grain brewing, but I don't know if I'm ready for that just yet.

I haven't started thinking about that, but sounds like it's an absolute pain :pac:

About to set up a new brew myself, still on the kits :o

I've 2 kits to make yet, both for other peoples, one for a friend and one for herself. A nut brown ale, and a winter dark ale, should be nice. :D

Then I have to bottle some mead.

What kit are you using for the brown ale?

I think I'll give the mead a shot at some point myself.

It's a Black Rock Nut Brown

And sure, if you need any help with the mead, let me know. I've made enough of it at this stage ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm working on finishing Witcher 1 & 2 before getting 3 at some point, maybe when there's a game of the year edition or something. I've been really itching to get Witcher 3 but I want to wait.

I'm halfway through The Last Wish, it's really, really good. Very gripping read.

That's good to know. I'm looking forward to reading it... at some point :P

It's definitely worth playing the first two games. I've played all of them and each one is different and really good. A lot of people dislike the combat and pacing in the first game, and act 2 (if you haven't finished it all ready) does have a LOT of back and forth through the same area. But if you just let yourself get into the atmosphere of the world you'll definitely enjoy it.

Somnus wrote: »
    That's good to know. I'm looking forward to reading it... at some point :P

It's definitely worth playing the first two games. I've played all of them and each one is different and really good. A lot of people dislike the combat and pacing in the first game, and act 2 (if you haven't finished it all ready) does have a LOT of back and forth through the same area. But if you just let yourself get into the atmosphere of the world you'll definitely enjoy it.

That's definitely true, I found the game very dated and clunky at first, but the world and lore is incredibly engrossing. I'm into act 3. I'm flitting between playing this and The Evil Within at the moment, which is also fantastic.

Hey folks, anything happening in here?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Listening to Metal Notes. ;) Aught stirrin' with yourself?

Not too much here. Was playing the demo for Indivisible, which is pretty cool, and I've a roast chicken on. Pretty late for cooking, I know.

Deciding if I should pop to Dubland for Fear Factory or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,146 ✭✭✭Passenger

Was considering FF too but The Aristocrats are playing Saturday the 12th so I think I'll check them out instead.

I was also tempted by One OK Rock, but I haven't listened to much of their stuff, so I don't know if I'm bothered.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Apocalyptica in London on Friday - can't wait :) 8 years since I last saw them live, and probably my last gig before the little one arrives.

Oh that's awesome :D

That's the show with Vamps isn't it? I'm jelly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

goota.jpg

:D

Advertisement