Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ DTT Tests: Mullaghanish

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

The Cush wrote: »
    Since the extra muxes were powered up on Mon I have lost side-on aerial reception from Woodcock Hill, it returns when Mullaghanish is switched off for maintenance. So I guess there has been an increase in power.

cheers for that, might have to have a play around tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

mossym wrote: »
    interesting, you're down in kerry right? i wonder have they upped the power from mulla, would be nice to be able to pick it up with a DVB-T pc card aerial, without having to connect to the aerial in the attic

given where i am though that is too much to hope for...

must do a rescan tonight though and check

power has been upped today, to the previous high level
    previously i had it coming in @100%, but then it dropped to 20% then i coulnt get it at all, but my setup is a wideband antenna pointed at spurhill on the gable end of the house.

over the weekend, mulla was recievable again at 20%, and today it's back at 100% with a far from ideal setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

The Cush wrote: »
    Since the extra muxes were powered up on Mon I have lost side-on aerial reception from Woodcock Hill, it returns when Mullaghanish is switched off for maintenance. So I guess there has been an increase in power.
    Like yourself when Mullla is on full(?) power it blows Maghera right outa the water:D Aerial is directed at Maghera & side on to Mulla. Still finding variable pq on RTÉ NL2 HD test from time to time. Waiting for response from Panasonic re MHEG5 software update for D25L:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Like yourself when Mullla is on full(?) power it blows Maghera right outa the water:D Aerial is directed at Maghera & side on to Mulla. Still finding variable pq on RTÉ NL2 HD test from time to time. Waiting for response from Panasonic re MHEG5 software update for D25L:(

How are people here finding Mullaghanish output power lately? It seems to be gone very weak by me for about the last three weeks and has gone from the occasional pixelation breakup to constant breakup.

I have a group A aerial (like this guys bottom one) and a Triax TA32W 24Watt Mast Head Amplifier. I know people who live about a mile away and have no problem and don't even need a Masthead amp or a bit and have no picture breakup.

The funny thing is my signal is going from 90% down to between 32 to 58% about every two to three seconds which may indicate Wind Turbine interference with the signal from Mullaghanish. Some times of the day the picture is perfect however mostly over the last three weeks it is full strength.

I really don't know what is wrong as I have every thing setup properly and yet it still continues to disentegrate and pixelate.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Stinicker wrote: »
    How are people here finding Mullaghanish output power lately? It seems to be gone very weak by me for about the last three weeks and has gone from the occasional pixelation breakup to constant breakup.

I've noticed something happening in the last few days, occasional pixelisation to complete loss of signal on RTÉ 1 on both Mullaghanish and Woodcock Hill. Had put it down to the the windy conditions the last few days.

• Advertisement

mines been rock solid, no issues for the last week

Rock solid? High signal quality & no break up or low quality but steady recepton.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Voyager II

Rock solid here even on low power. Group A antenna no amps coax split to three different rooms and a 60 foot run to the garage all with excellent pic no tilling. Hd picture is suspect from time to time on NL2 and probably down to RTENL still running tests.

Rock solid? High signal quality & no break up or low quality but steady recepton.

the signal strength meter on my tv is buried 3 menus deep, so i only ever look at it when i have an issue, so not sure if the signal strength has dropped, as the picture has been perfect with no break ups all week, so even if the signal strength has dropped, it hasn't hit any threshold to start causing problems

like i said, rock solid.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Voyager II

Credit where credit is due. I have to say over the last few days even with the massive amounts of ducting RTE NL transmissions from mulla to here have been spot on with no co channel interferance at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

noticed over the last 4-5 days I have also had increased pixelation. Hoping it will all sort itself out over time.

Voyager II wrote: »
    Credit where credit is due. I have to say over the last few days even with the massive amounts of ducting RTE NL transmissions from mulla to here have been spot on with no co channel interferance at all.

speak for yourself..:)

mine was gone last night, back this morning, and gone again tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭dunleas

speak for yourself..:)

mine was gone last night, back this morning, and gone again tonight
    I agree had to watch match last night on laptop, seems more solid this evening but awfull last night.

dunleas wrote: »
    I agree had to watch match last night on laptop, seems more solid this evening but awfull last night.

glad i wasn't the only one!!

glad i wasn't the only one!!
    Gone again, massive signal drop just now.

My signal is back tonight and ranging from about 80 to 100%, hopefully RTE are doing some tests or trials up there is preparation of the Soft launch at the end of the month. When it works it works good.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭bossdrum

Has anybody experienced any problems recently?

It's been impossible to watch for me for the last week due to picture break up.

I could never get an analogue TV3 signal but the digital picture was excellent, i hope they haven't reduced the power!

I'm near bantry btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

bossdrum wrote: »

I could never get an analogue TV3 signal but the digital picture was excellent, i hope they haven't reduced the power!

I'm near bantry btw.
    My brother has been having some picture breakup recently. I've noticed Radio 1 (90.00 FM) from Mullaghanish has gone off air just after nine the last two mornings, could be maintenance work.

bossdrum wrote: »

I'm near bantry btw.

It has been terrible for me for the last few weeks so I would say they are definitely doing some work to it.

Yes theres ongoing work,so for safety during that,power is always reduced.

• Advertisement

Stinicker wrote: »
    It has been terrible for me for the last few weeks so I would say they are definitely doing some work to it.
    Yes agreed and also when there is a drop or flux in quaility it hangs my MVision combo

i usually lose my signal when anything changes, weather, signal power, but it has been rock solid for the last couple of weeks, since we had that week of the weird atmospheric conditions. i'm way north of mulla

Yes but cork is a very mountainy county where terrain nearer a tx can mean it gets a lower signal power than further away.
    Thats the nature of uhf,especially dtt.

My signal from the presely wales tx is far better than in parts of pembrokeshire for instance and I'm in a different country at the other side of a choppy sea.I hardly ever have picture break up from it.

So what I'm saying is,when they reduce power at mulla for engineering works and they do,it may not affect you but it will affect some people.

So what I'm saying is,when they reduce power at mulla for engineering works and they do,it may not affect you but it will affect some people.

true, but generally every drop in power has hit me up until this one. rock solid picture for the last week

But you don't know theres been a drop in power everytime,it's only an assumption.
    Clearly if a number of people are experiencing a worse signal but not you,something has been done at the tx to cause that.
    They may have taken down a panel to get at something else and not put it back yet.

But you don't know theres been a drop in power everytime,it's only an assumption.
    Clearly if a number of people are experiencing a worse signal but not you,something has been done at the tx to cause that.
    They may have taken down a panel to get at something else and not put it back yet.

i'm not saying there wasn't. i just surprised if people closer to it are seeing a problem, i'm not. nearly every time in the past there has been a drop i've lost signal, this time i haven't.

i'm not arguing for a minute something isn't going on. the question was had anyone experienced problems, and i've posted many times in this thread that i have, so i must be close to a threshold, i thought it might have been useful to post that this time i wasn't.

i wouldn't read a statement of mine has been good for the last week as an argument that there was no work being carried out....

i'm not saying there wasn't. i just surprised if people closer to it are seeing a problem, i'm not. nearly every time in the past there has been a drop i've lost signal, this time i haven't.

i'm not arguing for a minute something isn't going on. the question was had anyone experienced problems, and i've posted many times in this thread that i have, so i must be close to a threshold, i thought it might have been useful to post that this time i wasn't.

i wouldn't read a statement of mine has been good for the last week as an argument that there was no work being carried out....

I got this email from RTENL a few days ago when I complained about Wind Turbine interference.

Hello,

Thanks for your query. The current test Digital Terrestrial Television transmission are subject to regular variations in power output, and content configurations. It can not be regarded as a dependable service for regular viewing at this point in time. Recently, we carried out extensive mast replacement and antenna replacement projects at Mullaghanish, both of which have had considerable impact on our Analogue and Digital transmissions for periods of time.

DTT is being rolled out nationally on a phased basis. Initially only the larger sites covering large population areas will receive DTT, with some of the smaller transmitter sites receiving DTT prior to analogue switch-off. Not all the current analogue transmitter sites will be upgraded to DTT, and at this stage it is unlikely that your area will receive a DTT transmitter, as we anticipate that Mullaghanish will cover that area adequately. Once Mullaghanish is operating in its final configuration we will be in a better position to assess the potential impact of windfarm related interference on the DTT signal.

I hope this answers your query, but should you require any further information please feel free to contact me.

Regards,

Thing is that Mulla could be firing out different powers in different directions at different times during this so called test period.
    So for whatever reason,they may be trying something different in one direction than another or they may have temporally removed something to gain access at something else on the mast.
    It is possible and has happened from my experience with kippure reception a lot during this unnecessarily prolonged (imho) period of testing.

Looks like 2nd mux on Ch:24 is fired up again, mirror line up & double my signal quality from Ch:21. & Ch:48 from Mulla.
    15:58 gone again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

Hi Guys,

I rescanned my panasonic TX-L37G10B and lost all my channels from Mullaghanish. Does anyone in the Mullaghanish still have their channels for a panasonic TV? If so, can you please do a backup of your channel list so I can copy them and get my TV working again. The procedure is posted in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056079528&page=2.

This seems to be a commom problem for panasonic TV's :(

Advertisement