Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ DTT Tests: Mullaghanish

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

As posted a few days ago another stream is running on Mux 1.

When I do a scan on a Sony V4500 it finds 18 services, the extra one at the end (after Temporary) is identified as RTÉ 2XM on the scan. When selected it displays the the RTÉNL testcard (as per the Temporary channel). When stored it has no channel name displayed with audio described as "unknown 2/0".

Could it be a placeholder for the RTÉjr/RTÉplus channel?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Would it not be high time to test a non mpeg2 encoded radio channel Cush....eg AC3 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

When I do a scan on a Sony V4500 it finds 18 services, the extra one at the end (after Temporary) is identified as RTÉ 2XM on the scan. When selected it displays the the RTÉNL testcard (as per the Temporary channel). When stored it has no channel name displayed with audio described as "unknown 2/0".

Could it be a placeholder for the RTÉjr/RTÉplus channel?[/QUOTE]

Is it still there ? When I scan on my Panny G10, I am still only getting 17 services from Mullaganish ?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Voyager II

Hey Galtee just did a scan on my Edision and it to is picking up the extra channel it is listing it as Ch-1108 seems to be a copy of rte2 at the moment. Could very well be a new chan on the way.

Update just scanned the panny it cant see the extra chan suprise suprise

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Voyager II wrote: »
    Hey Galtee just did a scan on my Edision and it to is picking up the extra channel it is listing it as Ch-1108 seems to be a copy of rte2 at the moment. Could very well be a new chan on the way.
    Just scanned Ch 21 (Mulla) & Ch 48 (Maghera) on my Panny D25, no new services showing up here:confused:

• Advertisement

Update just scanned the panny it cant see the extra chan suprise suprise[/QUOTE]

As my Panny has no problem with the other 17 services, including RTE 2 HD, I can't see why it should have a problem with this "new" channel ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I suspect the new channel is RTE+1.

http://www.saorview.ie/channels-services/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I suspect the new channel is RTE+1.

http://www.saorview.ie/channels-services/

Possibly however it is just a simulcast of RTE 2 SD (Temporary) for the time being

I'm getting 18 stations 10 Radio and 8 Video

RTE1
    RTE2
    TV3
    TG4
    RTE News Now
    3e
    Temporary
    TV 1 - 4740V Terres

Plus the normal 10 radio stations

I am receiving this on my Technomate 6900HD box and didn't even bother trying the Panny to do a scan as it will lose everything forcing me to hack it and do the whole workaround, I will do this once everything is rock solid and the whole thing launched and the lineup complete.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If you follow the link, it shows eight TV channels, RTE 1, RTE 2 HD, TV3, TG 4, RTE News Now, 3E, RTEjr, and RTE 1+1.

Now they are broadcasting eight TV channels, the last two being repeats on RTE 2, but in SD.

Try to keep up.:)

Now they are broadcasting eight TV channels, the last two being repeats on RTE 2, but in SD.

I haven't seen any scans, is this new service linked to the same VPID and APID as the temporary channel or is it a separate stream?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

If you follow the link, it shows eight TV channels, RTE 1, RTE 2 HD, TV3, TG 4, RTE News Now, RTEjr, and RTE 1+1.

Try to keep up.:)

Never clicked the link and though it was speculation about content, as I did a scan to see for myself when I read your first post. You are most likely right that the two last channels will be RTEJR and RTE1+1 alright as indicated on the site.

The Cush wrote: »
    As posted a few days ago another stream is running on Mux 1.

Could it be a placeholder for the RTÉjr/RTÉplus channel?
    galtee boy wrote: »
    Is it still there ? When I scan on my Panny G10, I am still only getting 17 services from Mullaganish ?

Yes still there. Showing the same low bitrate programming as the Temp channel. Placeholder stream for the RTÉjr/RTÉplus channel probably.

galtee boy wrote: »
    Update just scanned the panny it cant see the extra chan suprise suprise

Since my Panny D25 can't seem to find this new service either could this be another issue re Panasonic TV's & Saorview.

Since my Panny D25 can't seem to find this new service either could this be another issue re Panasonic TV's & Saorview.
    My Samsung C530 isn't seeing it either, I think it's because there's no name defined.

Karsini wrote: »
    My Samsung C530 isn't seeing it either, I think it's because there's no name defined.

Sincerely hope so. Just found it with my USB tuner on my laptop. Otherwise if my TV has any possible issues I fear I'm going to end with a very expensive DTT brick:rolleyes:.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Would it not be high time to test a non mpeg2 encoded radio channel Cush....eg AC3 ?

non mpeg2 encoded radio channel??

AC3 doesn't appear to be a priority, this from the new Saorview website (note the MGEG5 typo :))
    Approval Process

RTÉ established a receiver (set-top-box and iDTV) approval process to reassure consumers that approved receivers will work with all aspects of the SAORVIEW service. The Receivers must be tested for compliance with Nordig 2.2 standard featuring: MPEG4 video (AVC : H.264), MPEG1 audio, MGEG5 Middleware – interactive services & digital teletext and OTA Downloads tested on approved receivers prior to transmission.

http://www.saorview.ie/trade-login/approval-process/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's still Mandatory in spec, and my information is that they will use it.

Sincerely hope so. Just found it with my USB tuner on my laptop. Otherwise if my TV has any possible issues I fear I'm going to end with a very expensive DTT brick:rolleyes:.

Just saw a scan on a new LG ( mpeg4 + mheg5 etc ) and that only finds the 17 services also, and not the new test. So thats Samsung, Panasonic and LG tv's that we know of, that can't see the new test. Watty, any ideas as to why ?

I think it's because it's unnamed. This obviously wouldn't be the case with an officially launched channel. My USB stick is picking it up, to answer my own question it is linking to the same video and audio stream as the Temporary channel.

DVB Viewer names it as "Service ID 1208" while TerraTec Home Cinema names it as "|UNKNOWN" with a ? icon beside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

I did a scan on my Walker tv and it said 18 channels altogether but does not show the eight tv channel. I also did a scan on my Panasonic tv and this shows 17 channels not picking up the eight channel at all.

• Advertisement

I did a scan on my LG42LD490 and it picks up 18 services including the new no name channel. My one is FreeviewHD, if that makes a difference.

LG 42LD450 which is running in "Ireland Mode" correctly doing MHEG on RTE and EBU text on TV3 and TG4, only sees the same 17 services. But Woodcock. Not Mulla. On spectrum Analyser there is only one Mux here.

We know the LG 42LD490 has DVB-T2, extra HDMI and WiFi option, but unlike the 450 (no DVB-T2, DVB-T only) is strict D-Book only. Odd that.

Both very very nice LCDs. :)

Which all goes to stregnthen my argument for FreeviewHD and Saorview to converge, with, maybe, the UK joining Nordig.

What happens when a Vestel box with FreeviewHD gets an OA update from Saorview?

The Freeview OTA upgrades are a different system to Nordig, a Freeview HD box will never see a OTA update. Also OTA Saorview (nordig) and OTA Freeview firmware upgrades are always specific model related, a Bush, Digihome and Technika using same vestel chassis get separate OTA upgrades on Freeview. You might even have some bug fix on the Technika and there might never be OTA upgrade on the same Vestel chassis Bush or Digihome. Firmware is customised per brand usually. There can also be optional hardware variations on the PCB. I have a 6.1 Amp for PS2 and the Decoder board and LCD designed to take an FM radio. I have cordless headphone and about 1/3rd of the PCB has empty pads and a space for another jack.

Same Chassis Models from OEM providers like Vestel, Technotrend, Alps or Chinese suppliers are rarely absolutely identical in SW or HW.

Of course you could (even on Saorview) push a Freeview compatible OTA upgrade if suitable firmware was produced (unlikely except on a current model) that converted the box to NorDig with Freeview Extensions, compatible with Nordig upgrades, then any later OTA could be Nordig.

The UK could in their areas do Nordig and Freeview OTA upgrades to suit new boxes that do both and all old Freeview boxes and some Freeview HD boxes (and TVs in all cases) etc that newer firmware, only bug fixes are released.

The Freeview HD transmissions can be a superset of Nordig then. No changes needed to Saorvision.

Many products will never get OTA upgrades as they won't need them.

watty wrote: »
    The Freeview OTA upgrades are a different system to Nordig.

Of course you could (even on Saorview) push a Freeview compatible OTA upgrade if suitable firmware was produced (unlikely except on a current model) that converted the box to NorDig with Freeview Extensions, compatible with Nordig upgrades.

The UK could in their areas do Nordig and Freeview OTA upgrades to suit new boxes that do both and all old Freeview boxes and some Freeview HD boxes (and TVs in all cases) etc that newer firmware, only bug fixes are released.

The Freeview HD transmissions can be a superset of Nordig then. No changes needed to Saorvision.

Sounds a good route for the UK to go. Which of course means it will not happen.

Would need the support of all the manufacturers, and Vestel already have the Saorview certification, so easy for them to upgrade FreeviewHD boxes.

watty wrote: »
    The Freeview OTA upgrades are a different system to Nordig, a Freeview HD box will never see a OTA update.
    Do you mean it will never see a saorview ota update unless it's saorview approved?
    My sagemcom Freeview hd pvr has got 3 ota updates since last year...from the presely tx at the other side of the irish sea 99 miles away I might add.

Obviously Presely is Freeview, so if you have a Freeview or Freeview HD thing that has an update, you will get it from Presley.

They ONLY send updates for Freeview certified products, that have updates, on Freeview.

But Saorview will have no Freeview updates, and Freeview will have no Saorview updates unless someone changes the rules.

Nordig (Saorview) and Freeview don't even use the same protocol to do OTA upgrades.

RTE, just Like Freeview in UK for Freeview certified products, are only going to to send OTA upgrades that manufacturers provide and that are for Certified Saorview products. Non Saorview product (such as "Freeview HD", generic Linux box or other non-nordig box) will not get updates on Saorview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

I wonder whether there will be software updates available for downloading in the near future on the Saorview or Walker websites for the Saorview approved Vestel boxes that might suit the Vestel rebadged Metronic Freeview HD Zapbox? It might be possible then to somehow force an update for the Saorview service using the scart pins? I hope also that Divis Freeview service will be receiveable in Dublin by the end of next year with the signal increase? :)

I looked on the Vestel site and from that I could not find any mention of set top boxes atall.

• Advertisement

What happens if a saorview product is also a freeview product and gets updates from both systems?

Advertisement