Panasonic TG4/TV3 Sound? - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

03-11-2010, 23:35   #1
Stinicker

Panasonic TG4/TV3 Sound?

Any other Panasonic users getting the same TG4 sound issue with TV3 now? You have to go into options to get the sound to come up as it is set on nar!
Advertisement
04-11-2010, 00:33   #2
tvman2

Yes I've the same, the tv manual says that the default sound is set by the broadcaster which in the case of TG4 and now TV3 the default is set to nar (currently no sound) while the other channels are set to eng which gives sound.
Therefore is it another Panasonic tv (as STB stated "Fisher Price" software issue) in that the tv doesn't change the audio option or is it a broadcaster issue.
Could anyone explain why this is the case with UK spec combo Panasonics, taking into account what I stated above. Why have the other channels not defaulted or changed to a "no sound" setting.
Finally what is the TG4/TV3 situation with other makes that are actually Saorview compatable.
04-11-2010, 00:37   #3
Stinicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvman2 View Post
Yes I've the same, the tv manual says that the default sound is set by the broadcaster which in the case of TG4 and now TV3 the default is set to nar (currently no sound) while the other channels are set to eng which gives sound.
Therefore is it another Panasonic tv (as STB stated "Fisher Price" software issue) in that the tv doesn't change the audio option or is it a broadcaster issue.
Could anyone explain why this is the case with UK spec combo Panasonics, taking into account what I stated above. Why have the other channels not defaulted or changed to a "no sound" setting.
Finally what is the TG4/TV3 situation with other makes that are actually Saorview compatable.
Panasonic have taken shortcuts in their coding and are not fully DVB compliant. They make great screens but there software is rubbish and think of a Panasonic as a screen only.
04-11-2010, 09:29   #4
steveq

This is happening on my Panasonic Freesat TV for all the 'Saorview' channels except RTE News and the Test HD channels.

Does it only happen on TG4 and TV3 for you?
04-11-2010, 09:37   #5
watty

If the TV is less than two years old the shop may be obliged to replace or refund (choice their discretion) with a compatible model.
Aldi has refunded on a set over a year old
Thanks from:
Advertisement
04-11-2010, 10:00   #6
bob11

I have 2 panasonic freesat TVs and I am having this annoying sound issue as well, but on different channels on both TVs ..

It used to be just on tg4, but now it appears to be on all channels ..

Has anyone tried re-scanning their panasonic recently to see if it changes anything ?

I am a bit worried about re-scanning in case rte have changed the older service type setting that caused the Panasonics not to pick up anything ..

Can anyone confirm that re-scanning is ok at the moment on Panasonics ?

Cheers,

Bob
04-11-2010, 12:42   #7
bigbob

Rescanned G10 last night.
Pulled the channels ok but no (default) audio on TV3 or TG4
04-11-2010, 13:22   #8
fat-tony

I just did a scan on the PC (DVBviewer). The default soundtrack on TV3 is set to (eng) and plays properly. There is also a narrative track (silent) and a remnant of the RTENL test setting which carries Raidio na Gaeltachtachta sound. But the default is eng and plays ok.
On TG4 the default soundtrack is marked as (iri) and plays correctly (even though it's actually in english as they are showing a movie) and there is a (nar) soundtrack which is silent. I would imagine that the TV would need to accomodate (eng) and (iri) default soundtracks in the Ireland country setting. If you have the TV set to UK, then I presume it would not pick up (iri) as default.

But again - this could be down to flakey software in the Panasonics
04-11-2010, 13:24   #9
STB
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat-tony View Post
I just did a scan on the PC (DVBviewer). The default soundtrack on TV3 is set to (eng) and plays properly. There is also a narrative track (silent) and a remnant of the RTENL test setting which carries Raidio na Gaeltachtachta sound. But the default is eng and plays ok.
On TG4 the default soundtrack is marked as (iri) and plays correctly (even though it's actually in english as they are showing a movie) and there is a (nar) soundtrack which is silent. I would imagine that the TV would need to accomodate (eng) and (iri) default soundtracks in the Ireland country setting. If you have the TV set to UK, then I presume it would not pick up (iri) as default.

But again - this could be down to flakey software in the Panasonics
Its called the UK Dbook and it disregards ETSI standards in preference to just about fulfilling Uk requirements.
Advertisement
04-11-2010, 13:43   #10
fat-tony

It's a pretty poor show if it won't accommodate the basic soundtracks, though! In most STB's when you set the default language to English, it just uses it as the "preferred" language when presented with a choice in the data stream. If it's just (iri) and (NAR) as in the TG4 stream, then it should pick up the iri stream as NAR is only for Audio Description which is usually a button on the remote.

For the OP I would suggest deleting the channels from the set, saving the selection and then re-scanning. The default soundtracks on the stream are now set the (eng) in the case of TV3. I got rid of the RnG artefact on my DVBviewer setup by deleting the DTT tree altogether and doing a complete re-scan.
05-11-2010, 12:46   #11
bob11

I rescanned both my Panasonics last night and it didn't make any difference ..

On all 4 TV channels, the Panasonic uses the nar soundtrack and has to be changed manually to eng to get audio .. Only channels that work without this workaround are the RTE news now and RTE -NL 2 test hd channel ..

How do other TVs select the correct audio channel here ?
Do they automatically select the nar channel ?

I know that people have said that the Panasonics do not follow the standard, but I am just trying to understand how they should do this ?

Has anyone got any workarounds to this very annoying problem ?

Why would RTE be broadcasting a multi-channel audio, with nothing on the nar channel ? It doesn't make a lot of sense to me ..
05-11-2010, 13:24   #12
fat-tony

The NAR channel is used when there is an audio description for vision impaired viewers. The BBC broadcast a lot of their output with Audio Description on the NAR track.

As far as I can see, RTENL have now defaulted eng. They have also renamed a couple of the channels - RTE 1 is now RTE One, RTE 2 is now RTE Two.

I cannot fathom why your set won't pick up the default eng soundtrack on TV3, TG4. It's like it is "stuck" with a particular setting. Did you do a complete delete of the channels? Maybe a factory reset / re-install is needed? I have a Panasonic plasma (but not one with a digital tuner) so I can't be 100% on this, but it makes no sense to me that it won't pick up the default soundtrack.

You may have a bigger issue entirely if RTE revert to marking their video stream as Advanced codec, which caught out a number of Panasonic owners.
05-11-2010, 15:03   #13
Mountjoy Mugger

My Panasonic G20 has no issues with default audio on TV3 or TG4. No rescan was necessary.
05-11-2010, 15:48   #14
bob11

Interesting ..

Mine are both freesat models 37LZD81 and 50V10, both no sound on all 4 TV channels last night by default. I can get sound by pressing Option and selecting Eng audio track, but this has to be selected every time that the channel is changed ...
05-11-2010, 15:57   #15
fat-tony

I presume you have installed them using UK as the country (in order to benefit from the Freesat EPG)?
Have you tried using other country options (which have DTT - like France)? It may be if you do an install under another country option, then revert to the UK it might work, now that RTENL have sorted out their defaults.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion