Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ DTT Tests: Mullaghanish

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

cillo2000 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I rescanned my panasonic TX-L37G10B and lost all my channels from Mullaghanish. Does anyone in the Mullaghanish still have their channels for a panasonic TV? If so, can you please do a backup of your channel list so I can copy them and get my TV working again. The procedure is posted in this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056079528&page=2.

This seems to be a commom problem for panasonic TV's :(

My Panasonic TX-P50G10B has lost all channels too but I had them backed up before the service type change.

Before my TV lost the channels I had:

RTE One
    RTE Two
    TV3
    TG4
    RTE News Now
    RTENL HD Test screen (which has since become 3e)

There is a new RTENL HD Test channel launched now but my TV is unable to see it or tune it in, which means that unless RTÉ does a service flag type amnesty or Panasonic gets a firmware update release then us Freesat Panasonic owners will be left high and dry.

Incidentally over the weekend I bought a Panasonic DVD Recorder 160GB PVR, It is Freeview only and I knew buying it that it wouldn't work with Saorview as I only want it as an overflow for the Sky+ HD box really and to have a good quality DVD recorder unlike the piece of junk I had before.

The DVD recorder from Panasonic despite being Freeview MPEG2 only can "see" the transmissions fine and tuned them in and I had my channels and proper EPG info working from Mullaghanish just no picture only sound (it is MPEG2). This proves that Panasonic products are perfectly capable of "seeing" the transmissions if not decoding them.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cillo2000

Hi Stinicker,

Could you please post or PM me the back-up of your TX-L32G10L, it might help with my TX-L37G10B.

Thanks,
    Cillo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Hi Stinicker,

Could you please post or PM me the back-up of your TX-L32G10L, it might help with my TX-L37G10B.

Thanks,
    Cillo

PM sent

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭dunleas

very bad break ups today

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

dunleas wrote: »
    very bad break ups today

Crystal clear from Maghera the past few days - highest signal quality for quite some time.
    Just checked Mulla - quality 50-60%, picture rock solid.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Crystal clear from Maghera the past few days - highest signal quality for quite some time.
    Just checked Mulla - quality 50-60%, picture rock solid.

same here, picture has been rock solid

Lads how are doing from mulla tonight? I'm suffering very bad picture break up. Is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Voyager II

No problems here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Hi Stinicker,

Thanks,
    Cillo

Emmm. Dont even think of doing what you are about to do.

Use the hex hack and follow it step by step. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69329339&postcount=107

Voyager II wrote: »
    No problems here.
    Thanks might check the attic aerial over the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭galtee boy

2nd mux ( Ch 24 ) fired up at the moment from Mullaghanish, carrying current 7 tv and 10 radio channels. Any chance they are getting it ready for "new" channels like RTE 1+1 etc ? Any other 2nd muxes fired up around the country ?

Ya same here. Just a duplicate of the 1st mux. Might be gearing up for new content but dont hold your breath

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

i noticed mulla was broadcasting mux2 yesterday, i also did a scan of spur hill, and that still only has mux1

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

Mux 2 not switched on at the moment from Maghera just Mux 1 .

• Registered Users Posts: 15,481 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

galtee boy wrote: »
    2nd mux ( Ch 24 ) fired up at the moment from Mullaghanish, carrying current 7 tv and 10 radio channels. Any chance they are getting it ready for "new" channels like RTE 1+1 etc ? Any other 2nd muxes fired up around the country ?

This post might shed some light on it
    I just received this email regarding the switch on of mux 2 from RTENL.

We will be carrying out engineering tests on mux 2 on a semi regular basis. At this point in time there are no concrete plans or dates for commencement of broadcast on mux 2.

Regards,

Brian Geraghty

Make of that what you will guys. I suppose tests will start as soon as they have a channel line up for mux 2.

All the current and planned channels will fit in Mux 1. The recent announcement from the Dept regarding the "BAI to Seek Expressions of Interest in Providing Content for the Digital Terrestrial Television Platform" probably includes expressions of interest for Mux2 capacity. Mux 2 is probably quiet a while away.

The main sites were I believe upgraded for 4 muxes (incl. the pay DTT ones) so maybe they are occasionally powered up to ensure the equipment is still serviceable.

Maybe RTENL might put on a Saorview Promo channel on mux 2 for retailers and customers explaining what equipment is needed to receive RTE DTT when it officially launches.

Maybe RTENL might put on a Saorview Promo channel on mux 2 for retailers and customers explaining what equipment is needed to receive RTE DTT when it officially launches.
    Good call. But alas it would be considered to be a good idea by RTENL and therefore unlightly to happen.

As The Cush says RTENL are most likely making sure everything is in good working order. You never know something new might turn up on mux 2 and surprise us all. Most likely a test card. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭Antenna

What do you mean exactly?

Anyone who can receive this HAS the right equipment, unless you are proposing to transmit this in MPEG2???

How much would the running costs of a whole MUX nationwide just to transmit this be?
    DTT transmitters don't run on just fresh air!

Even if only a small fraction of a MUX capacity is used, the electricity running costs are going to be the same as if the whole MUX was 100% occupied

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Mux2 is needed if Film or Oireachtas channel is started, or if a 2nd channel goes HD, or if RTEjr/RTE+ starts and they still want a test channel.

IMO there is long term no spare space for "other channels" from Current BAI "interest" thing as capacity need to be reserved for RTE1, TG4 and TV3 in HD.

Any Commercial pay TV would need to be on 3rd to 6th Muxes. Not the 2nd one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭maddladd

Hi all, you guys on this thread seem to know what's happening re reception in west cork, any help appreciated, I've already posted this as a new thread but it might be better served here, thanks all-
    Hi all, I recently got a new samsung mpeg 4 tv and tuned in the rte digital service. The trouble is the reception is awful and is virtually unwatchable as it keeps breaking up, the analogue is also none too hot either. I live in Kealkill near Bantry, could it be that the signal here is very bad or should I try a new aerial to try to improve it. I enclose a pic of the existing aerial which is faced for Mullaghinish, I presume the bottom one is the uhf/digital aerial, would a new one improve the situation or is the digital signal still bedding in as such ?
    Thanks in advance
    Just looked at polarisation map would turning it to vertical as Mullaghinish transmitter do the trick?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

maddladd wrote: »
    Hi all, you guys on this thread seem to know what's happening re reception in west cork, any help appreciated, I've already posted this as a new thread but it might be better served here, thanks all-
    Hi all, I recently got a new samsung mpeg 4 tv and tuned in the rte digital service. The trouble is the reception is awful and is virtually unwatchable as it keeps breaking up, the analogue is also none too hot either. I live in Kealkill near Bantry, could it be that the signal here is very bad or should I try a new aerial to try to improve it. I enclose a pic of the existing aerial which is faced for Mullaghinish, I presume the bottom one is the uhf/digital aerial, would a new one improve the situation or is the digital signal still bedding in as such ?
    Thanks in advance
    Just looked at polarisation map would turning it to vertical as Mullaghinish transmitter do the trick?

Location location! From this http://www.bci.ie/DTT/easy_tv/map_st...se_q1_2011.jpg map it looks like reception from mullaghanish in your area is poor unless you are in an area shaded green. Boosting the signal may help but maybe not enough?
    I am no expert but your polarisation looks fine to me, the uhf aerial should also have a red plastic insert in the end of the centre horizontal pole to signify that its the right band. I live in mid kerry and am lucky that i have a local transmitter for dtt as my reception from mullaghanish sounds similar to yours even with an amplifier just after the aerial (masthead amp) maybe you should try getting an amplifier if not already installed? Otherwise there are bigger uhf aerials with "High gain" that should also improve your signal strength.
    Last resort will be the future satellite infill for areas not covered by the main transmitters.
    Best of luck
    regards

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Only a really a bigger aerial "boosts" signal. Amplifiers are to overcome cable and splitter losses.

Channel 24 second mux on Mullla fired up again today. Same channel list as channel 21.

Channel 24 second mux on Mullla fired up again today. Same channel list as channel 21.

I'd now expect the other transmitters to begin regular testing of the 2nd Mux now that the Dept requires RTÉ 2 HD and RTÉjr to transfer to that multiplex by 1st Sept as announced yesterday.

Maghera is not fired up yet i suppose this will follow soon.

Found nothing extra from Maghera today & ch. 24 from Mulla is gone again. Coincidentally my TV has now locked onto the stronger signal on ch. 21 from Mulla rather than the usual ch. 48 from Maghera.

Can anyone confirm if mux 2 from mulla is fired up today. Although i get my DTT from Maghera anytime mux 2 from mullaghanish is switched on i get a very week signal quality on channel 24. Not enough signal quality for my idtv to store anything on channel 24.

Can anyone confirm if mux 2 from mulla is fired up today. Although i get my DTT from Maghera anytime mux 2 from mullaghanish is switched on i get a very week signal quality on channel 24. Not enough signal quality for my idtv to store anything on channel 24.

Mux 2 (Ch 24) is fired up, same programming as Mux 1. Also RTÉ 2 Temp Channel (epg #7) is showing test card on both muxes.

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Mux 2 (Ch 24) is fired up, same programming as Mux 1. Also RTÉ 2 Temp Channel (epg #7) is showing test card on both muxes.
    Thanks The Cush for the info. RTE 2 Temp seems to be on a test card in the morning time and afternoon and then switches back to RTE 2 Temp epg 7 at 5o clock. I don't know what time it switches back to the test card,it must be the early hours of the morning.

Advertisement