Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheism is "cool"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭sukikettle

Jammie He says faith the size of a mustard seed can move a mountain.Yours seems just about the right size

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Jakkass wrote: »
    Backing Israel isn't correlative with being a Christian. I know many who would be critical of Israel too. However I'd be a moderate on the Israel - Palestine issue, i.e I see that Hamas and militants are also at fault and Israel shouldn't be the only one to blame, but blame is due to it too. I was very much pro-Palestinian a year or two ago.

As for Irish people being Unionists indeed that isn't very common. I'm not very nationalistic really, but going unionist is a bit of the flipside :)

Denying climate change, I've had my skeptical moments but I still think it's a worthy cause :D
    No sorry, I wasn't using those examples as causes typical Christians believe in, I was just making general points.
    sukikettle wrote: »
    I'd like to ask a question and be honest...do any of you 100% not believe in God...like not a single grain of you wonders
    Well I'm agnostic so I don't discount the possibility that there's a higher power. I just don't believe it's possible that this higher power is a kind, loving one. I think, if there is one, it's just... "there".

Doc I'm the resident nutter i.e. I'm a born again bible-believing/quoting Holy Spirit filled new Creation in Jesus Christ:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

Well I just live and let live, I have my own moral standards which would prob run along the same lines as christianity... well except for the sex stuff :P to hell with waiting till your married :P So I never seen much point to devoting your self to a higher being who prob couldn't care less if you go to church as long as you live a good life :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'm somewhere around 99.999% I'd say. Of course I could never be 100% sure he doesn't; in the same way I could never be 100% sure goblins or fairys don't.

As discussed above goblins and fairies fall into the same category of the FSM. Christianity has a lot more behind it than these texts in areas of academic debate, such as in history, archaeology, philosophy, theology and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Dudess wrote: »
    It's not anti establishment seeing as religion is part of the establishment, but it is going against a grain.

With the amount of churches being sold/turned into night clubs the lack of new sign ups to the priest hood the serious reductions in attendance at mass etc

would being a good practicing catholic not be going against the grain?

or is that your point

Jammie He says faith the size of a mustard seed can move a mountain.Yours seems just about the right size

But you see, I don't have faith at all, that .001% isn't faith. I think anyone who says they are 100% sure there is no God is just foolish, of course they can't be sure there isn't one. No atheist should be 100% sure, if they are they're just as "bad" as the fundamentalist Christian or Muslim.

I believe that the possibility of a theistic God existing is on par with the possibility of Russell's teapot (or any other fantastic idea) existing. But, a deistic God is a different story altogether. A deistic God would probably lie around the 1% chance of existance, to me anyway. Where as a theistic God lies somewhere around .0001%.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭MatthewVII

As discussed above goblins and fairies fall into the same category of the FSM. Christianity has a lot more behind it than these texts in areas of academic debate, such as in history, archaeology, philosophy, theology and so on.

Well, you could argue that archaeology, philosophy and theology all stem from the history.

Which goes back to the old argument that the only edge that god has on the FSM is time.

Maybe so. But I still regard it to be on par with other such beliefs. Christianity may have a lot behind it, but God doesn't.

so if God exists even at odds of 0.001% that's still high if you turn out wrong and come face to face with Him. You will have spent your one life dissing Him and what's He supposed to do with you...what would you deserve?

• Advertisement

ntlbell wrote: »
    With the amount of churches being sold/turned into night clubs the lack of new sign ups to the priest hood the serious reductions in attendance at mass etc

would being a good practicing catholic not be going against the grain?

or is that your point
    Yep, that be my point.

so if God exists even at odds of 0.001% that's still high if you turn out wrong and come face to face with Him. You will have spent your one life dissing Him and what's He supposed to do with you...what would you deserve?
    His understanding that a person will surely feel doubts as to his existence considering tsunamis, cancer, hurricanes, cot death...

What if you explain you weren't dissing him you were dissing Zeus or one of the other gods.

just wait to see which one exactly exists and go "ah no i was slagging the other one"

problem solved.

Dudess it just doesn't work like that as logical as it may be to you. God isn't helpless and He doesn't shrug feebily when we get up there because we've been through cancer, tsunamis etc Our only objective as His creation is to seek Him and love Him and remain faithful. It's what He's always been doing for us. It's a 2 way street, very much father/child. You have to remember who is behind evil.Even Jesus said a house divided against itself will fall. Attributing evil to God is blasphemous and illogical

Zeus is a greek washing powder, great at removing egg but not sin;)

Dudess it just doesn't work like that as logical as it may be to you. God isn't helpless and He doesn't shrug feebily when we get up there because we've been through cancer, tsunamis etc Our only objective as His creation is to seek Him and love Him and remain faithful. It's what He's always been doing for us. It's a 2 way street, very much father/child. You have to remember who is behind evil.Even Jesus said a house divided against itself will fall. Attributing evil to God is blasphemous and illogical

How do you know all this?

and which god?

pass the pipe..

Ah Pascal's Wager. Well that's a risk I'm willing to take to be honest. If it turns out he is real, and that he thinks I deserve eternal damnation for being rational and using the intelligence he gave me, then so be it. Hell, here I come.

To be honest, I'd stop bible-bashing and preaching judgement to atheists/agnostics. Your response to what Jammie said is exactly why the church is losing followers.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭MackDeToaster

If god is so petty and vindictive (human) that he/she/it wants to punish me, then it's not a god which is worthy of worship.

If it's the other case and god doesn't have a problem with it, then.. there is no problem.

"god" is an omnipotent superbeing. The best thing he could think of to do with his time is to create beings whose only purpose is to worship him? Seems like kindof a lame and self-serving thing to do.

• Advertisement

You have to remember who is behind evil.
    Attributing evil to God is blasphemous and illogical

Is there not a bit of a contradiction here ? Or who are you saying is behind evil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Dudess wrote: »
    Well I'm agnostic so I don't discount the possibility that there's a higher power. I just don't believe it's possible that this higher power is a kind, loving one. I think, if there is one, it's just... "there".

Ah interesting. Just wondering, have you ever read any philosophy of religion (particularly on the problem of evil)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

sukikettle is a fraud and a troll.

I'm quoting the bible not being preachy...If He is in charge of all creation and He sets some rules and asks you to follow them with faith then He has a right to damn.It's not petty or vindictive.If you worked for a company you had no faith in and disrespected the boss and were mostly unco-operative and spouted disrespectful statements about him what would he do. Where would the contrary be written into any contract that exists. It makes sense. Believe it or not God owes you nothing

Mad you're rude and your comment is unwarranted

If parents went off and left their kids to fend for themselves, even if they left a note on the fridge saying how to work the oven, they'd be arrested and charged with neglect. They have a duty of care. Seeing as god, being god, is constantly listening in via the baby monitor and watching over cctv, letting Timmy torture the dog and set Sarah on fire is pretty indicitive that he doesn't give a fcuk alright, as you said yourself. So the question is, why would you want anything to do with a parent like that ?

I'm quoting the bible not being preachy...If He is in charge of all creation and He sets some rules and asks you to follow them with faith then He has a right to damn.It's not petty or vindictive.If you worked for a company you had no faith in and disrespected the boss and were mostly unco-operative and spouted disrespectful statements about him what would he do. Where would the contrary be written into any contract that exists. It makes sense. Believe it or not God owes you nothing

what did ye think about the 3 bears and the porridge going missing

I'm quoting the bible not being preachy.

I'm pretty sure that's a direct contradiction
    sukikettle wrote:
    If you worked for a company you had no faith in and disrespected the boss

The difference is that you know a boss exists, he hired you, you see him regularly and know damn well he's in charge of your paycheck. Imagine instead you are walking along one day and come to an empty workstation in the middle of nowhere with a pile of accounts that need balancing on it. You either believe that a divine being placed it in your way for some reason and get to work, with nothing keeping you going other than the thought of someone looking down and overseeing you, or you keep going and refuse to jump to any conclusions.

Suikikettle, can I ask you to do one thing? Just one thing. Please, oh please, stop preaching to us. It gets very annoying very quickly. I don't want to be preached to while I'm snooping around Boards, I just want to be left to do my own thing. So I beg of you suki, please stop preaching!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Mad you're rude and your comment is unwarranted

I'm rude, yes, but my comment is true.

Advertisement