Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Welcome back Ivor!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

owenc wrote: »
    No but they sort of set the rates so that people know what to charge.;)

What?? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

In fairness I was a bit stingey in my day too I remember one time living on very small wages (about 6 pound left after rent for food etc) Stealing the salt and pepper,sugar etc from the canteen to bring home to use later. Used to call to my mothers and take a few cans of food home with me. For a few weeks I survived on bread,water and a pot of jam lost 3 stone in a month... Those were bad days and I never want to relive them again!!!!

Somehow i don't think that's stingy, more of being poor and taking what you can get for free.

Now if you where making a lot of money and still doing stuff like that fair enough that's stingy but you didn't have it then so no it's not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

In my secondary school we had a home economics teacher who used to bring her washing into school with her, stick it in the school's machines and make it into a lesson about laundry. Which, I suppose was more practical than stingy.

Also, same teacher:

The school had a load of decorative gravel delivered for the garden near the front entrance one day and that evening we saw her standing by her car as the janitor shovelled loads of it into her boot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

The richest person I know doesn't earn a huge amount, but gets lots of money from Daddy - new car every year, he pays her rent, she gets €2500 every 3 months "pocket money"... So she has money.

But if I go to the shop and come back with what she needed and say it was €3.45, she'd give me €3.50 and ask for change.

Seriously. I suppose tho, all those €0.05 add up, but still!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dublin4Life

Hersheys wrote: »
    The richest person I know doesn't earn a huge amount, but gets lots of money from Daddy - new car every year, he pays her rent, she gets €2500 every 3 months "pocket money"... So she has money.

But if I go to the shop and come back with what she needed and say it was €3.45, she'd give me €3.50 and ask for change.

Seriously. I suppose tho, all those €0.05 add up, but still!!

That is so stingy:eek:.......If I have any spare change I put it into the money box beside the counter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭kittykrazy

flas wrote: »
    my south african housemate(well ex-housemate now) moved out there last monday and even brought a half empty bottle of washing up liquid with him,it was like the really cheap stuff from tesco aswell...i couldnt believe it....we had tea bags in a big pot aswell and he emptied the pot so he could get his few tea bags...thank god he is finished college already...

Absolutely epic thread! I'm only upto 17-5-9 but this entry made me think of my friend's housemate moving out. After a lot of weirdness where the moving housemate kept accusing his fellow (straight) housemates of making unwanted homexual advances and then made an advance on my friend, he moved out. He then turned up a week later to collect the meldy, over a year old toilet brush and take it home on the bus. Smelly and stingy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

A friend of mine is a taxi driver. He ALWAYS puts in 4 cent fuel over the euro he is going for. ie 20.04 or 50.04 .... His reasoning is that at least 4 times out of 5 they don't ask for the extra 4 cents so it's free fuel.
    I think I might start that one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

catthinkin wrote: »
    use a tea bag three times they even have a plate next to the kettle to keep it there shudder

a come on, ive used two used tea bags before to get the effect of one new one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I came into my place of work this morning and the cleaner was vacuuming at my desk and there was a sound of a coin in the steel pipe of the vacuum. I got excited and exclaimed
    "Ug there is a coin in the pipe".
    Cleaner repilid "No there isn’t, it’s a paper clip or something."
    I got her to switch off the vacuum, and release the sweeps head and lo and behold 5cent dropped out of it.
    The two of us went to grab it, but I was quicker, and her reaction startled me.
    She said "My God, you would do that over 5cent"
    I replied "You were vacuuming at my desk when it got stuck hence its probably mine"
    She went off in a huff, probably loudmouthing me to the rest of the staff.
    Anyway, I have hid my loose change in my drawer, away from prying eyes in case she tries to reclaim it.
    Some people, I swear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,397 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

I came into my place of work this morning and the cleaner was vacuuming at my desk and there was a sound of a coin in the steel pipe of the vacuum. I got excited and exclaimed
    "Ug there is a coin in the pipe".
    Cleaner repilid "No there isn’t, it’s a paper clip or something."
    I got her to switch off the vacuum, and release the sweeps head and lo and behold 5cent dropped out of it.
    The two of us went to grab it, but I was quicker, and her reaction startled me.
    She said "My God, you would do that over 5cent"
    I replied "You were vacuuming at my desk when it got stuck hence its probably mine"
    She went off in a huff, probably loudmouthing me to the rest of the staff.
    Anyway, I have hid my loose change in my drawer, away from prying eyes in case she tries to reclaim it.
    Some people, I swear.
    I actually vacuum up small coins (5c and less) cos I'm too lazy to pick them up.

Had a housemate once who used to go to the bathroom with a newspaper. He'd emerge. That newspaper was never to be seen again :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

I actually vacuum up small coins (5c and less) cos I'm too lazy to pick them up.

Had a housemate once who used to go to the bathroom with a newspaper. He'd emerge. That newspaper was never to be seen again :eek:

You can get an old stocking and put it on the top of the vacuum and do a pre vacuum, hence collecting any spare change that might be wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

My boyfriend''s sister used to work in the deli of a shop. I dunno was it every weekday or just at the weekends but this guy would come in and ask for a sandwich with EVERYTHING on it from the deli, I mean he'd ask her to put chicken wings, sausage rolls, all the fry materials, chicken pieces, jambons, seriosly EVERYTHING, because he knew that the most he could get charged for the sandwich was about €4, whereas he'd have to fork out a bomb to get it all separately! Now that's fierce stingey:D!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,303 ✭✭✭✭noodler

reap-a-rat wrote: »
    My boyfriend''s sister used to work in the deli of a shop. I dunno was it every weekday or just at the weekends but this guy would come in and ask for a sandwich with EVERYTHING on it from the deli, I mean he'd ask her to put chicken wings, sausage rolls, all the fry materials, chicken pieces, jambons, seriosly EVERYTHING, because he knew that the most he could get charged for the sandwich was about €4, whereas he'd have to fork out a bomb to get it all separately! Now that's fierce stingey:D!

Poorly run deli is all I can say there.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Markom5a

reap-a-rat wrote: »

That is pure genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,303 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Where is this deli that doesn't distinguish between hot food and sandwich fillers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Unwilling

00112984 wrote: »
    Used to work with the meanest woman in the world. She was going to the shop one day and asked if any of us wanted anything. I wanted something (can't for the life of me remember what, we'll say a bottle of Coke) so gave her €1.20. She came back five minutes later Coke-less, gave me back my €1.20. Turned out the shop had put Coke up to €1.22 a bottle and she didn't want to spend €0.02 of her own money in case she wouldn't get it back off me. :rolleyes:

WOW.....:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

been wanting to tell this story for a few days,

i was at my aunts house a few days ago and she was doing the washing up, her 6 year old niece came into the kitchen after stepping in dog poo and she used the scourer she was washing the dishes with to wipe the shoes. She then poured boiling water from the kettle on the scourer and continued again cleaning the dishes with that same scourer.

She looked at me and obviously saw the look of awe on my face and explained it was all right pointing to the kettle of water.

That's not the worst of it, she runs a B&B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

noodler wrote: »
    Where is this deli that doesn't distinguish between hot food and sandwich fillers?

From the shop I used to work in myself I know that we had a price list up for the deli, and we'll say a sandwich with meat would be €2.50, €3 for a meat and salad and then €3.50 for 2 meats and sald, with a "Breakfast Sandwich" being the same as that. So my guess is the fact that its not actaully set in stone what you can have in the sandwich for €4 is why he got away with it. Just trying to add to the thread, didn't want an interrogation:p!

Back on topic, I'll never forget the time myself, my sister and my two friends (we would have been 7-9) went trick-or-treating around our two villages. We knocked on the local bitches door, she was pushing 90 at the time and walked with a crutch, I think she had her hips or her knees done. Anyway, she goes in, comes back out and gives us a pound between the four of us. Fair enough, she might be poor or whatever (we know she's not really though), but then she has the balls to say "Sorry, that's all I have, I was at a ball last night!" She could hardly walk, not to mind dance! She is the local liar like, we know that now :)!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Trashbat

johndoe99 wrote: »
    been wanting to tell this story for a few days,

i was at my aunts house a few days ago and she was doing the washing up, her 6 year old niece came into the kitchen after stepping in dog poo and she used the scourer she was washing the dishes with to wipe the shoes. She then poured boiling water from the kettle on the scourer and continued again cleaning the dishes with that same scourer.

She looked at me and obviously saw the look of awe on my face and explained it was all right pointing to the kettle of water.

That's not the worst of it, she runs a B&B.

:eek:

I'm not sure if thats stingy, but its definately one of the more vile things i've heard of. You should ring the environmental health inspector about her B&B.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭WWC1

Corner shop where I grew up was run by the STINGEST people ever. Was about 7/8 and in with my friend who was buying an apple. Can't remeber exact price but we'll say the apple as 20p. My mate had 15 and so the owner took a bite out of the apple and gave it to her for 15p:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

Worst thing I saw was during the Special Olympics in Ireland. I was working in a shopping centre that closed for an evening to the public so all the participants of the olympics could have sole use of the centre. So it was a really great atmosphere and the shop I worked in had gotten lots of promotional stuff from the head office to give out for free.

Cue two horrible miserly Irish women who were volunteers at the olympics. They were the first into the shop that evening, they asked us about the free stuff, and we were all happy saying it was free for everyone. They took the lot!!!! We could not even say anything cause we were shocked and by the time we realised, they were gone, it was not even for the teams, they just put all the stuff in their bags. So for the rest of the night, we spent our time disappointing the rest by saying we had ran out of free stuff.

I still see people wearing those special olympic t-shirts, puts me in a bad mood everytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

A guy I know is absolutely unreal stingy... he has a reputation far and wide for it.

Well, one time we went on a trip to see some mates, turned out I had fk all cash on me and no way of getting some for a while, so he clocked it up on his credit card to be paid back after.

Now, when I go on holiday, I set aside a budget, and just spend it all. It's easier than worrying about a euro here and there. So I did that on this trip, and I paid him back before we returned, give or take a pint here and a cab ride there... about three hundred quid in total.

About a week after we came back the fker rings me up to tell me he went through some figures and I still owed him a tenner, and could I please call up to him and pay it back (half an hours drive from me). I told him I'd sort him out next time we were talking and did it really matter, it was only a tenner in the grand scheme of things.

No Dice. So I called up.

Turns out he had mis-calculated and I had overpaid him when we had settled and so he had to give me back sixty quid! He was SICK. He kept adding it up over and over again and shaking his head before finally (after A LOT of persuasion) coughing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

Worst thing I saw was during the Special Olympics in Ireland. I was working in a shopping centre that closed for an evening to the public so all the participants of the olympics could have sole use of the centre. So it was a really great atmosphere and the shop I worked in had gotten lots of promotional stuff from the head office to give out for free.

Cue two horrible miserly Irish women who were volunteers at the olympics. They were the first into the shop that evening, they asked us about the free stuff, and we were all happy saying it was free for everyone. They took the lot!!!! We could not even say anything cause we were shocked and by the time we realised, they were gone, it was not even for the teams, they just put all the stuff in their bags. So for the rest of the night, we spent our time disappointing the rest by saying we had ran out of free stuff.

I still see people wearing those special olympic t-shirts, puts me in a bad mood everytime.

I think I know what shopping centre you're talking about, I was working there at the time. Those volunteers were like the gestappo! I was driving home last week and saw one of them cycling in their blue/green jacket and really wanted to tip into them, ever so slightly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

kylith wrote: »
    I had a roommate who used to save his roaches and re-roll them when he ran out of smoke. It was disgustingly smelly, and like smoking tar.

Oh dirtzner.

I have a mate who used to call blows on every fucking joint goin. Used to spot him cuffing a joint he'd just gotted off 1 of the lads, so he could call a blow on another joint halfway across the room.

also [DIRTBOX ALERT] had a mate who once dried out and smoked some shit he coughed up. nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,981 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Oh dirtzner.

I have a mate who used to call blows on every fucking joint goin. Used to spot him cuffing a joint he'd just gotted off 1 of the lads, so he could call a blow on another joint halfway across the room.

also [DIRTBOX ALERT] had a mate who once dried out and smoked some shit he coughed up. nice.

That's not stingy, that's addiction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

That's not stingy, that's addiction.

and disgusting..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Oh ffs..
    PM me his number, he sounds like a right catch..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭fizzynicenice

Loopy wrote: »
    Oh ffs..
    PM me his number, he sounds like a right catch..

yeah he's a ****in head-case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

allanb49 wrote: »
    I think if they have multipack not to sold individually it's illegal as they're being bought at discount and then being sold at higher value

It's not illegal, that is in fact the basis for retail, somebody buys in bulk, at a discount, and sells them for a profit.

The writing (Not to be sold individually) on the product is really only a suggestion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement