Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭patakadarragh

owenc wrote: »
    Ok this will be a laugh but its a year old..

:confused::confused: Go to the last page....there are posts from today..;):rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

£100 for doing your hair are you serious!! Thats discracefull it only costs me like £10, now i realise that the people down south really aren't lying, your government are a rip off.

The government cut our hair? :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

The government cut our hair? :eek:

No but they sort of set the rates so that people know what to charge.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I've me a few stingey people from over the years:

Myself and a few friends were out in a local bar and noticed one of the lads robbing drink from the tables (same lad was very well off) After a while I was in the jacks and met one of the lads I was with, He had taken his pint with him to save it from being robbed, Drank half and lobbed out his knob and filled it back up :) He left it out for the other fella to see and after a few mins went back to the jacks, cue the other lad to steal the pint. Took about two supps and he puicked his guts up, never stole a pint since :)

Another fella I used to ive with would go online, copy the text on the page into word and log off to save him being charged for being online.

A lad I worked with recently would bring home the paper,leftover milk,sugar and butter from the canteen every day. Same fella got an old diesel generator from the pavies and used to syphon a supp of diesel from the company van to power his house for the night!! Fella never had a esb, nor did he have a wife or kids either. His brother told me a while later that he had nearly a million in savings and a car he had bought new 4 years before with only 850 miles on the clock because he didnt want to spend the money on servicing it and putting diesel in it.

In fairness I was a bit stingey in my day too I remember one time living on very small wages (about 6 pound left after rent for food etc) Stealing the salt and pepper,sugar etc from the canteen to bring home to use later. Used to call to my mothers and take a few cans of food home with me. For a few weeks I survived on bread,water and a pot of jam lost 3 stone in a month... Those were bad days and I never want to relive them again!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

No but they sort of set the rates so that people know what to charge.;)

We set the rates ourselves - we kept paying so they kept raising the price...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

-Makes us get up at 10 in the summer and never lets us lie in.

10 is a lie in :p

bluewolf wrote: »
    10 is a lie in :p

No we have to be up before that like 9.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭patakadarragh

Wow 10 o clock poor you...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭pinc

My sons father wanted some of the 'child benefit allowance' given to him as he has the child 2 weekends a month. 'Therefore the child is costing him so why shouldn't he be given some of it'.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

A guy I went to college was pretty bad.

After he came back from a trip to the UK he had 30 pounds sterling or something like that left over. There was a girl in our class who had a boyfriend in London who she used visit on a fairly regular basis so he asked her would she swap sterling for euro to do him a favour. She agreed thinking that it'd be a straight swap (think it was about 90c to the pound then) but he then asked 'So, do you you want to go by today's currency exchange rate or will we use the rate when I bring the money in on Monday?)

After college I was working in a company who offered a 1,000 euro gift to any person who recruited new employees. So , I got this guy a job and after 6 months I got the 1,000 euro finder's fee (which he didn't know about). I decided to give him 100 euro out of it but as a little experiment I just gave him the money and said 'Here's that 100 euro I owe you'. He just said thanks and pocketed it without any questions about when he had given me a loan.

Last year the two of us were living in different cities in NZ. To keep in touch I signed up for a 'best mates' deal whereby for something small like $3 a month you could make unlimited calls to nominated people. I put him down for it and would ring him fairly regularly. I suggested he sign up for it as well so he could ring me back. Anytime I said it he just changed the subject. In the 3 months or so that we were both in the country he never signed up and subsequently he never rang me once. However when I told him I was leaving he asked me for my SIM card so that he could use the same system for phoning his girlfriend. When I explained that it didn't work like that but he could ring her for free for just $3 a month he wasn't interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

My old boss (a multi millionaire) used to get me to steam off the stamps from his post that hadn't been franked so he could use them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

trustno1 wrote: »
    My old boss (a multi millionaire) used to get me to steam off the stamps from his post that hadn't been franked so he could use them again.

would that not be defeating the purpose, paying you to do this and probably paying you more for the time it took

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Went into a shop near the parents house (small enough country shop) one day to get flour and the sell by date was scribbled out with a biro and a new date written in biro beside it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

pinc wrote: »
    My sons father wanted some of the 'child benefit allowance' given to him as he has the child 2 weekends a month. 'Therefore the child is costing him so why shouldn't he be given some of it'.:o

whats stingy about that? should be given a bit in fairness

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Naw but he is tight and theres no doubt about it full stop, i've been in other peoples houses and they get everything and get away with everything and nearly everyone that has been to my house has said that he is annoying, so its true! Come now your parents never did that crap.

Your dad does sound stingy but he also sounds like a good parent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Sharing a room with a certain friend on holidays. We went shopping the 1st day and he made us buy cheese for me cheese for him, ham for me ham for him, butter for me butter for him....and so on instead of just buying one item of each and splitting the cost down the middle. Ended up with loads of spare food at the end of the week as you can imagine...:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Dublin4Life

Last year i got a car and the old man would not pay my tax and insurance the stingy ****er....

haha....so I startd using his new BMW , lets just say guys I'm driving my own car know !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Last year i got a car and the old man would not pay my tax and insurance the stingy ****er....

haha....so I startd using his new BMW , lets just say guys I'm driving my own car know !!

I consider drowning my children on a daily basis over things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

Ross O'Carrol Kelly??? is that you :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You want someone else to pay your bills for you?
    That's stingy

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    You want someone else to pay your bills for you?
    That's stingy

No the person that gives you the car usually has a months/years insurance on it when they give it to you so you get time to insure it and get home.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

No the person that gives you the car usually has a months/years insurance on it when they give it to you so you get time to insure it and get home.

Where the hell do you buy your cars?

You know when I was 14 I played football and tried to score a few birds! Definitely didn't have like 2300 posts on an internet forum!

Penisland wrote: »
    You know when I was 14 I played football and tried to score a few birds! Definitely didn't have like 2300 posts on an internet forum!

Not with a name like that you didn't.

super-rush wrote: »
    Where the hell do you buy your cars?

A shop.. thats they work in Northern Ireland, i dinno about down south and how do you expect to drive your car home if its not taxed?

Not with a name like that you didn't.

Whats wrong with Pen Island? I like pens :P

Whats wrong with Pen Island? I like pens :P

Its a bad site apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Keep on topic please.
    A shop.. thats they work in Northern Ireland, i dinno about down south and how do you expect to drive your car home if its not taxed?

You didn't say tax you said insurance. Some cars still have tax on them when you buy them some don't. You can still drive it home if there is no tax on it. Technically its against the law but you're given time to sort out the paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭VinnyTGM

Just becauase their insured on a car, dosen't mean you are. Insurance applies to a person not a car.

• Advertisement

VinnyTGM wrote: »
    Just becauase their insured on a car, dosen't mean you are. Insurance applies to a person not a car.

No my mother was in an accident and used her insurance to get her car fixed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement