Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

the bus ticket thing is clever enough I suppose but I remember one time we were out for dinner(which I paid for of course) he pulls out an engagement ring, tells me it cost 2 grand. My mam a few weeks later knowing how stingy he is brings it down to the local jewellers to have it priced. 150 is how much it cost:eek: now if he was broke and told me thats all he could afford I wouldnt have cared but the bastard had called me all the names under the sun cos I had lost it somewhere in my room a few days previous.all he kept sayin was you better find that ring that cost me 2 grand:mad: when in reality it was 150 max. cheap bastard!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

This is disgusting.

My mum was telling me earlier that her grandmother gave her some advice, when she was a teenager ;

That you should make the most out of ... sanitary towels by "using them on both sides"

:eek:

Can't get more stingy than that!

That's bloody rotten!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

This is disgusting.

My mum was telling me earlier that her grandmother gave her some advice, when she was a teenager ;

That you should make the most out of ... sanitary towels by "using them on both sides"

but that would be like using a condom then turning it inside out and using it again :pac::pac::pac:

robbie_998 wrote: »
    but that would be like using a condom then turning it inside out and using it again :pac::pac::pac:

Perhaps that explains why during these recessionary times the number of pregnancies have jumped ten fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭veryangryman

This thread is legendary as you all know. Whats even more legendary is the tags for it! Scabbyness, Cavan people, Tight as a ducks arse etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Harpic

A guy I used to work with waited till a few of us finished our mini-butter sachets and then gathered them up to scrape the remnants from them to butter his own bread:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

That's bloody rotten!

I see what you did there, clever.

This is disgusting.

That's gotta hurt:eek: the otherside is the sticky side:eek: actually that could save you a few bob on gettin a bikini wax too;)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Mont wrote: »
    Anyone notice that the meanest people are the rich ones - i have a mate whose family is loaded and the guy is the stingiest in the world - he would pick up 2c if he saw it on the street, always shops in the Somalia shop and is so proud when he picks up a top for under a tenner. One of the lads went shopping with him in Dunnes and he picked up a load of stuff but was too mean to pay the 22c for a bag so the 2 of them practically carried 15 items each for a half a mile

thats why they are well off :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

ziggy23 wrote: »
    That's gotta hurt:eek: the otherside is the sticky side:eek: actually that could save you a few bob on gettin a bikini wax too;)

Apparantly they didn't always have the sticky side though, read it in a book! They just looked like cotton wool.....erm yeah TMI.:pac:

• Advertisement

nicola09 wrote: »
    Apparantly they didn't always have the sticky side though, read it in a book! They just looked like cotton wool.....erm yeah TMI.:pac:

jesus it's still gross though and apparantly years ago they used to use leaves instead of pads:eek: anyhow...back to stingyness I also have relations that are quite well off have a few properties and dat. the whole family are known for their meaness. the 2 sons always arrive at parties with no drink and drink everyone elses. they were even caught hoarding bottles of beer behind our toilet at one party we had. the beer was running out so they decided to stash a few and then filled their pockets with roses chocolates on the way home:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Degsy wrote: »
    I was on my way into work thi smorning when i saw this bloke probably 60+ behaving oddly.He was bending down every couple of minutes and picking something up and whatever it was he was putting into his other hand.
    When i got level with him he sort of straightened up and pretended he wasnt doing anything but i saw in his hand..Cigarette Butts..the poor old divil had been scrounging cigarette butts off the street.
    qft

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

I remember a guy who bought a packet of Tayto crisps. Someone asked could they have one. He told them "These are MY crisps, bought with MY money. If you want some, buy your own with YOUR money". He then ran into the toilet and finished off the packet in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭sul02

A guy in college used to stick bunched up paper up into the slot in the vending machines where the change comes out, so when you bought comething your change would get stuck. he'd go around in the evening unblocking the slot and getting all the change!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭mega man

sul02 wrote: »
    A guy in college used to stick bunched up paper up into the slot in the vending machines where the change comes out, so when you bought comething your change would get stuck. he'd go around in the evening unblocking the slot and getting all the change!!!

lol. thats a good idea. did he make much money?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

sul02 wrote: »

That guy is a Genuis:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Kids used to do that years ago with the old-fashioned payphones.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭TheCardHolder

Someone leave a can of bulmers in a mate's fridge for over two months then get pissed off when the guy finally drank it :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭_Arctic_

They say copper wire was invented by 2 students trying to pull a penny away from each other :P

And did you know that Ballymun locals have rubber pockets, for stealing soup? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Hagar wrote: »
    Kids used to do that years ago with the old-fashioned payphones.

Another trick that worked with the old fashioned payphones was tapping out the number with the disconnect button. For some reason that meant you didn't have to put in the money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

Another trick that worked with the old fashioned payphones was tapping out the number with the disconnect button. For some reason that meant you didn't have to put in the money.

Oh Aye, Phone tapping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Berty wrote: »
    My old local in Limerick was soooo tight they used to watch the match on TG4 and listen to it on the radio with the sound on the TV off.

The TV was in Irish and the radio was in English. They would not spend the money for Setanta or Sky.

Miserable gits!! :mad:

I cant see anything wrong with that tbh, we used to do it back in the 90s on all ireland final day for the minor match!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 riordo

I once knew a fella who was so tight he used to call over to the neighbours house every day to cook, do his washing, even shower! they eventually got sick of him doing this so now he ONLY has cold showers and only eats food that he can cook in one tray of the oven all together!

riordo wrote: »
    I once knew a fella who was so tight he used to call over to the neighbours house every day to cook, do his washing, even shower! they eventually got sick of him doing this so now he ONLY has cold showers and only eats food that he can cook in one tray of the oven all together!

Tell the neighbours to buy a lock and use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭boarddotie

Myslef and a friend were involved in the organising of a conference last week and even though we werent on the main committe or anything my friend had a bit of pull. It was an international conference and there were delegates from all over the world.

All delegates got 2 drink vouchers each.

My friend came over to me and another gang of delegates and with a fake smile plastered on her face she calmly yet urgently said 'will someone buy 6 drinks vouchers from me'. Some scabby Asian ghoulface had collected 6 vouchers and got to her claiming that she had bought drinks as she didnt know about the vouchers and it wasnt fair.

Only for the fact that the gang i was with were happy to buy a few vouchers for €2.50 (and use them for €4.50 pints) she should have been told to shove off. We subsequently found out she had only 'bought' waters all night.

Nice profit there made from our cash strapped conference :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    When we had a college house in drumcondra the electricity was paid for on a real old meter that took 2 euro coins, ie. wed be sitin watchin telly and all of a sudden bam. lights go out telly goes off and we have to put a 2 euro coin into it

well we managed to unscrew the front of this box without breakin the seal on the screws and jam a matchstick into the spinning wheel thing (it was a v wierd meter) and hey presto , free electricity for the year!

loving this thread

was this house a few doors away from a TD? One of my mates stayed in a house in drumcondra 2 years ago. same setup, think it was 2 euro a pop. house was always freezing!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Heard of three lads sharing a pint with straws in my local

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

This guy brought his own can of coke......

http://i35.tinypic.com/25incax.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Years ago, in the late seventies, my Mam used to work as a chambermaid in a posh London hotel, and there would often be famous people staying there.
    Anyway, Phill Lynott (from Thin Lizzy) had been staying in a suite at the hotel for a few days. This was at the height of his fame.
    As he was leaving, her boss sent her up to clean the room. My Mam was thinking to herself "Great, Phil Lynott is loaded, he's bound to have left a big tip".
    So, she gets up to the room and NO TIP!! Not under the pillow, or the bedside locker, or anywhere. She thinks to herself "Tight B*****d", and gets on with her cleaning.
    A few minutes later, a knock comes to the door.... and its Phil Lynott standing there..... He's come back FOR HIS HALF-TUBE OF TOOTHPASTE, that he left in the bathroom.
    My Mam was astounded, he was top of the charts at the time, yet wouldn't splash out on new toothpaste.
    Tight a*** mofo!!

Guess who just got back today?
    That wild-eyed boy that had been away
    Haven't changed, haven't much to say
    But man, I still think that cat is crazy

He was asking if his Crest Ultra White was around
    Were it was, where it could be found
    Told him check the fúcking bathroom
    You tight arsé mofo you're crazy.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I cant see anything wrong with that tbh, we used to do it back in the 90s on all ireland final day for the minor match!

I do this also with Tg4 and Kerry Radio so I can get English commentary, The big problem is that the satellite feed is a few seconds behind the radio so hear what is happening before you see it.

A funny one I saw in a movie (My Fellow Americans) once was the US President filling up Vodka bottles with water and putting them back into the hotel minibar! lol!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement