Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Years ago, in the late seventies, my Mam used to work as a chambermaid in a posh London hotel, and there would often be famous people staying there.
    Anyway, Phill Lynott (from Thin Lizzy) had been staying in a suite at the hotel for a few days. This was at the height of his fame.
    As he was leaving, her boss sent her up to clean the room. My Mam was thinking to herself "Great, Phil Lynott is loaded, he's bound to have left a big tip".
    So, she gets up to the room and NO TIP!! Not under the pillow, or the bedside locker, or anywhere. She thinks to herself "Tight B*****d", and gets on with her cleaning.
    A few minutes later, a knock comes to the door.... and its Phil Lynott standing there..... He's come back FOR HIS HALF-TUBE OF TOOTHPASTE, that he left in the bathroom.
    My Mam was astounded, he was top of the charts at the time, yet wouldn't splash out on new toothpaste.
    Tight a*** mofo!!

Oi!!! :mad::mad: Less of that. Philo is a f**king legend. He was too busy being the coolest Dubliner ever to worry about tips and sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Tight a*** mofo!!

In fairness he was snorting all his cash. Probably had none spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Years ago, in the late seventies, my Mam used to work as a chambermaid in a posh London hotel, and there would often be famous people staying there.
    Anyway, Phill Lynott (from Thin Lizzy) had been staying in a suite at the hotel for a few days. This was at the height of his fame.
    As he was leaving, her boss sent her up to clean the room. My Mam was thinking to herself "Great, Phil Lynott is loaded, he's bound to have left a big tip".
    So, she gets up to the room and NO TIP!! Not under the pillow, or the bedside locker, or anywhere. She thinks to herself "Tight B*****d", and gets on with her cleaning.
    A few minutes later, a knock comes to the door.... and its Phil Lynott standing there..... He's come back FOR HIS HALF-TUBE OF TOOTHPASTE, that he left in the bathroom.
    My Mam was astounded, he was top of the charts at the time, yet wouldn't splash out on new toothpaste.
    Tight a*** mofo!!

Oh yeah..I bet it had toothpaste in it and all...;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Tight a*** mofo!!

Boooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

:rolleyes: Flaming amateur, what you do is get some stuff weigh it and put on the sticker then go back and put more stuff in and go back and weigh it again but take the new price sticker and put it into your pocket, they price people doing this into the salad bar price anyway so really you are not doing anything wrong.

Are you saying I pay a little extra to cover what you steal?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭batari

On the Philo vibe, many years ago the aul' lad was working in a pub in Naas. Luke Kelly and a about six friends pulled up outside in a Mini (this was the seventies, everyone bailed into mini's if they had to apparently). Anyhoo, they were on the way to the Punchestown races and stopped for a few beers. As the Da told me, they were drinking in rounds and leaving the change as it came in a pile on the bar. This would have consisted of pennies and ha'pennies back then. When they were leaving, they left the pile on the bar an me aul' lad thought 'nice one, tip'. He says there would have been about 40 - 50p there. While still cleaning up their glasses, Luke Kelly comes back in and scoops up the change!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭victoriaa

One old lady neighbour of mine reuses the rubbish bags. She throws out the "contents" but keeps the bag. :pac:
    I was in her house once and felt a magnificent odour coming from one of her drawers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

atariman wrote: »
    On the Philo vibe, many years ago the aul' lad was working in a pub in Naas. Luke Kelly and a about six friends pulled up outside in a Mini (this was the seventies, everyone bailed into mini's if they had to apparently). Anyhoo, they were on the way to the Punchestown races and stopped for a few beers. As the Da told me, they were drinking in rounds and leaving the change as it came in a pile on the bar. This would have consisted of pennies and ha'pennies back then. When they were leaving, they left the pile on the bar an me aul' lad thought 'nice one, tip'. He says there would have been about 40 - 50p there. While still cleaning up their glasses, Luke Kelly comes back in and scoops up the change!!:(

Another Legend. Heard that Shane McGowan tips very well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Tight a*** mofo!!

It was probably his heroin stash

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

victoriaa wrote: »
    One old lady neighbour of mine reuses the rubbish bags. She throws out the "contents" but keeps the bag. :pac:
    I was in her house once and felt a magnificent odour coming from one of her drawers.

Fishy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Cringer

A friend of mine during college would never buy shower gel or shampoo and kept using everyone elses.

Calling him a tight ar*e we took our own products away and left him with none. The following morning I hopped into the shower and I couldn't believe my eyes. Washing Up liquid. He'd used the washing up liquid from downstairs to wash himself with. Miserable Miser. So we hid that on him, too.

This is also the same guy that used NEWSPAPER to dry himself off with after his shower as he had left his towel back home, and we were not letting him use ours... haha so funny thinking about that now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Madflah

Not as funny as many of the stories posted but my neighbor kept students (digs type thing) she went out and bought smaller dinner plates so the food portions served up would look bigger...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

robbie_998 wrote: »

another great one is she WILL ALWAYS look on the ground for money as she's walkin alone for every last cent... and i do mean every last cent and if i dont pick up any money of the ground and she see's it she'll go on and say "ah why didnt you pick it up???" and i'd be like wtf its only 1c like !!!

Sorry to break the news.. ALL old biddies do this, seems to be post menopausal mostly. They'd rather get milled by a bus than pass the 2 cent set into the tarmac in the middle of Dublin's Dame Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭victoriaa

Madflah wrote: »
    Not as funny as many of the stories posted but my neighbor kept students (digs type thing) she went out and bought smaller dinner plates so the food portions served up would look bigger...:o

:pac: That's brilliant! I should keep in mind this idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

IMHO our minimum wage is high enough not to require automatic tipping!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I work in a supermarket, I was shocked at the things I saw people do for about 3 months but now nothing shocks me anymore.

Switch prices, labels, tags from clothes, sale stickers.

I approached a person tasting baby food with her finger, putting the lid back on and putting it back on the shelf.

Take one panty liner / sanitary towel / tampon from a pack and put in a box of hair colour / etc , pay for hair colour.

Pack of 5 briefs for 2.50 / take 2 more briefs from another pack and hide them in the pack they are buying.

making up their entire face from the make up stand (including the mascara)

taking out 2 paracetamol and putting the pack back on the shelf

Removing stalks from mushrooms / broccoli etc and leaving behind.

Spraying deodorant on themselves before work ( always buy a can from the back)

Threats of violence from people offered a plastic bag in exchange for paying the gov levy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Nonagon

Latchy wrote: »
    We are gearalising about nationalities with a bit of tongue in cheek humor .Like The Italians and spanish do sit over a coffee for a hr or two on end and my expierences of the other nationalities mentioned are also true .I have dutch relitives and every guilder ..opps euro is counted for and I never being in the company of a dutchman were he offered to buy a drink .But that's in staying with the thread title .I mentioned earlier about the difference between thriftyness and stingyness .The same applys to being economical .Of course stingyness is an individual thing as opposed to saying a whole race . but as mentioned the Netherlands has a much bigger population ( 4 times irelands ) which explains the differences in donations to charities .I am sure some of the nationlities mentioned have their fare share of charity givers .It's not a rant about nationalities .

What Nationality are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

Nonagon wrote: »
    What Nationality are you?

Hes stingynese

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

Pub near us,take-away beside it,one of the old fellas who is always in the pub orders a take-away to be delivered to his house,goes to the take-away from the pub and jumps into the delievry drivers car and gets a lift home for the price of the food.

Legend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

This is disgusting.

My mum was telling me earlier that her grandmother gave her some advice, when she was a teenager ;

That you should make the most out of ... sanitary towels by "using them on both sides"

:eek:

Can't get more stingy than that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

YFlyer wrote: »
    Another Legend. Heard that Shane McGowan tips very well.

yep, was in cork one night a fella came over with a huge smile on his face sayin he was buskin' and Shane McGowan had given him €50!:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

What a great thread, Thread of the year IMO, after reading it I now think I can be a qualified stinge bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Lol at the tags;

Cavan people/Scots/Israel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

Lol at the tags;

Cavan people/Scots/Israel.

I once told a person he was like a scottish jew living in cavan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I work in a supermarket, I was shocked at the things I saw people do for about 3 months but now nothing shocks me anymore.

Switch prices, labels, tags from clothes, sale stickers.

I approached a person tasting baby food with her finger, putting the lid back on and putting it back on the shelf.

Take one panty liner / sanitary towel / tampon from a pack and put in a box of hair colour / etc , pay for hair colour.

Pack of 5 briefs for 2.50 / take 2 more briefs from another pack and hide them in the pack they are buying.

making up their entire face from the make up stand (including the mascara)

taking out 2 paracetamol and putting the pack back on the shelf

Removing stalks from mushrooms / broccoli etc and leaving behind.

Spraying deodorant on themselves before work ( always buy a can from the back)

Threats of violence from people offered a plastic bag in exchange for paying the gov levy

thanks for the tips;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

KeyLimePie wrote: »
    I hate when people get 19.99€ worth of petrol and hand me a 20 and then expect to get their cent back :\ if it was 20.01€ worth of petrol they wouldn't be expecting me to take their penny off them..........

And people who pick up pennies in front of me and pocket them, even though there's a huge charity box right on my counter...

1. yes we do expect you to take the penny off us

2. charity starts at home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

a fella i work with asked me for a lend of 8.50 to get smokes a while ago but a few minutes later i saw him taking a 50 note out of his pocket. i screamed at him and he said he didnt want to break the 50 so i got my money back fast.
    he is known as a hungry bastard, skipping rounds, coming in on days off for a pint but saying he has no money, ect...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

grundie wrote: »
    I know a 'hyper-miler'. These are people who modify and driver their cars in such a way to get very high milage. Apparently this can give him as much as an extra 10mpg, but it's such a pain I wonder why he even bothers.

He checks the tyres are over inflated every journey, follows a special speed curve and rarely, if ever, exceeds 50kph. He loads the car in a special way so that is spread between front and back.

It just seems like so much hassle for a few extra MPG.

This, like so many of the things mentioned on this thread, is to cut down on waste - not buying plastic bags, not wasting petrol, buying second hand - these are good things. Pity you are all such a spoiled pack of Celtic Tiger Cubs that you can't recognise that waste is NOT a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

robbie_998 wrote: »
    she has a car and if anybody asked her to drop them to the shop are anything like that (only 2 mins away drive... not even 1 kilometer !!!) she would ask for fecking petrol money
    Walk?
    metalfest wrote: »
    Shane McGowan had given him €50C
    €50 or 50c?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

Victor wrote: »
    €50 or 50c?
    corrected , twas €50 :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement