Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

NADA wrote: »
    I currently live in student accomodation in Germany and I have seen some stingy ****...

During my own time in Germany we had people who would walk right onto our hall (I shared with 8 not 12) and they would just directly steal anything in sight. Now this might sound strange to people, but when you live with 8 people sometimes you don't know them all as people come and go. So sometimes you were being robbed and not even noticing it!

Sometimes if things for really bad three or four friendly roommates would just raid the hall downstairs (toilet roll, towels, food, you name it). It was complete anarchy. After while I left nothing outside my room.

Some days you'd wake up and find a new radio or a new couch lifted from somewhere else after a drunken night out. There was a trade in hats, ash trays, beer glasses and clothes.

Since I was the Irish guy occasionally the liberated Guinness glasses would be left outside my room as a joke. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

scop wrote: »
    During my own time in Germany we had people who would walk right onto our hall (I shared with 8 not 12) and they would just directly steal anything in sight. Now this might sound strange to people, but when you live with 8 people sometimes you don't know them all as people come and go. So sometimes you were being robbed and not even noticing it!

Sometimes if things for really bad three or four friendly roommates would just raid the hall downstairs (toilet roll, towels, food, you name it). It was complete anarchy. After while I left nothing outside my room.

Some days you'd wake up and find a new radio or a new couch lifted from somewhere else after a drunken night out. There was a trade in hats, ash trays, beer glasses and clothes.

Since I was the Irish guy occasionally the liberated Guinness glasses would be left outside my room as a joke. :D

That sounds like my time in boarding school..ah the memories.

On Sunday evenings when everyone was in study we would sneak out to where the other boarders kept their bags full with goodies from mammy. we ould just help ourselves and load up on chocolate, and crap like that.

Then at the end of year we would raid the lower classrooms for textbooks and sell them off at a 2nd hand book store for a handsome return...:D

Sometimes I could come back with £100-£120 old money in 1996. Thank fully I have put those thieving days behind me.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭fitz0

That sounds like my time in boarding school..ah the memories.

Then at the end of year we would raid the lower classes for textbooks and sell them off at a 2nd hand book store for a handsome return...:D

FYP those peasants deserved it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Heard a story from a woman who lives up the road the other day.

She works part-time in a charity clothes shop, as a volunteer. She came in to work one day to find a big black bag waiting outside the shop, as a donation from someone.
    She brought it in and started to go through it. She lifted up a jumper that was on top of the bag... Underneath, were hundreds of used, dirty nappies!

Those bin charges have brought out the worst in people!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

Heard a story from a woman who lives up the road the other day.

She works part-time in a charity clothes shop, as a volunteer. She came in to work one day to find a big black bag waiting outside the shop, as a donation from someone.
    She brought it in and started to go through it. She lifted up a jumper that was on top of the bag... Underneath, were hundreds of used, dirty nappies!

Those bin charges have brought out the worst in people!

hahahahhaa

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

Pub near us,take-away beside it,one of the old fellas who is always in the pub orders a take-away to be delivered to his house,goes to the take-away from the pub and jumps into the delievry drivers car and gets a lift home for the price of the food.

He's my hero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Aldito

My auntie gave my little brother a toy out of the corn flakes for his birthday.

My uncle gave me 50p for my communion and told me to "buy myself an ice cream"

My grandad used to make lampshades out of foil apple pie dishes.

The stinginess...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭Recon

Aldito wrote: »
    My auntie gave my little brother a toy out of the corn flakes for his birthday.

My uncle gave me 50p for my communion and told me to "buy myself an ice cream"

My grandad used to make lampshades out of foil apple pie dishes.

The stinginess...

those lampshades could be kind of cool, the other 2 things are just mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I have a friend who tapped another guy we know, who happens to work for a tyre company, for the use of 3 new tyres just for the day of the NCT.

The tyreman told him where he could go.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Moojuice

Kazbah wrote: »
    IMHO our minimum wage is high enough not to require automatic tipping!

Damn right. I dont mind tipping when necessary and at times it is necessary, I even worked in a place were half my wages were made in tips. They should have paid us better rather than rely on customers to pay our wages. But tipping everywhere you go is crazy, especially in a bar. Regarding that Luke Kelly story, who the hell tipped in 70's Ireland, in a bar? I really hate the encroachment of tipping like the Americans do. If you have a nice meal with good service, fine 10% at most, but the American practice of tipping any where from 10-20% is crazy.Tip only for good service and never feel like you HAVE to tip. We have a minimum wage for a reason. I have the attitude of spread the wealth. If I am doing particularly well one month I will be a bit more generous. If not, I wont tip unless I really feel the need to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

You weren't going to UCD at the time were you? I too lived in a house of 16 in my 1st year in UCD. Landlord lived next door with ~10 students in his own house and was a right w***er! Oh and he also had another house across the road with nearly 20 in it. The greediest man i ever met

i think i rented a house off this guy when i was in second year in UCD (12 in our house). unbelieveably stingy. my friend lived in his house and and his wife used to only do washing at night (apparently it was money saving), and his wife used to clean all of the houses rented to students in the summer...he was a millionaire.

he actually turned off the freezer in our house over the christmas break to save on electricity! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Nead21 wrote: »
    i think i rented a house off this guy when i was in second year in UCD (12 in our house). unbelieveably stingy. my friend lived in his house and and his wife used to only do washing at night (apparently it was money saving), and his wife used to clean all of the houses rented to students in the summer...he was a millionaire.

he actually turned off the freezer in our house over the christmas break to save on electricity! :rolleyes:

That's GOT to be J McD!

Spent 1st year in his house, 2nd year in the one next door.

The mans meanness is legendary, there's a generation of UCD students scarred by living with him.

yep thats him....it could only be him in fairness. first time i met him he was wearing a dirty white vest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Nead21 wrote: »
    yep thats him....it could only be him in fairness. first time i met him he was wearing a dirty white vest.
    MikeC101 wrote: »
    That's GOT to be J McD!

Spent 1st year in his house, 2nd year in the one next door.

The mans meanness is legendary, there's a generation of UCD students scarred by living with him.

Thats him alright, the one and only. He met some of us in his dirty white vest as well!!:D Spent 2 years in the house next to his own and while he was the definition of stinginess they were two great years. Savage craic altoghether!! Don't suppose either of ye were there on 04/05/06???

Thats him alright, the one and only. He met some of us in his dirty white vest as well!!:D Spent 2 years in the house next to his own and while he was the definition of stinginess they were two great years. Savage craic altoghether!! Don't suppose either of ye were there on 04/05/06???

Was a bit before your time, young whippersnapper - 01/02/03 for me.

He was legendary - lightbulbs screwed out of every second socket, so mean he packed his own house full of students (the man has his wife and two kids living there as well) despite owning two more on the same road, an apartment rented out to a load of filipino nurses, one or two more scattered around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

He was legendary - lightbulbs screwed out of every second socket, so mean he packed his own house full of students (the man has his wife and two kids living there as well) despite owning two more on the same road, an apartment rented out to a load of filipino nurses, one or two more scattered around Dublin.

But he was a millionaire though? Care to guess why?:D

So rumour had it :D

Apparently his wife had owned the land the housing estate was built on, and he'd built the estate.

I'd reckon his neighbours hated him for bringing down the tone of the neighbourhood with all us scruffy students.

Still, in fairness to the man, he got a medal for fighting off a mugger who was trying to steal an old ladies handbag.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Still, in fairness to the man, he got a medal for fighting off a mugger who was trying to steal an old ladies handbag.
    She probably owed him rent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

feck sake this thread springs to life every now and again.
    took me a while to catch up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Sure by the sounds of things he doesn't even spend it on himself or his family, so what use is it to him at all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

He was always fierce paranoid too. Any time we'd be coming back from a night out he'd be looking out the bedroom window to see if you were bringing any extra people back in that wouldn't be paying rent! And this would be 2/3 in the morning. There was even several times when we saw his kids watching us come and go!!!

i was there a bit earlier. rented off him in 00/01 when i was in second year. our house was in stillorgan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

Stingiest thing you say?
    Try reading this and this. Sound pretty stingy to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 couch13

A friend of mine steals salt from restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,337 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ah yeah.
    I had a funny experience wit hthis recently.
    I was in Tesco, at the check out behind a couple who were doing their weekly shop. They didn't have any reusable bags with them.
    And then asked for bags and were obviously told about the levy.
    Then the customers stood there, clueless as to what was going on, as though the levy had been brought in yesterday.
    They honestly didn't understand why they had to pay, then ofcourse, in a typical knacker fashion, tried to have a go at the black staff member, suggesting she was wrong.

They decided not to pay and I spotted them in the car park, emptying the contents of their trolley into the boot.

Very bizzare.
    Hey buddy thats me and my wife your talking about, i want a apolgy now mister.

The apology should come and it should read like this...ahem "I'm sorry, sorry you're such knackers!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

I spent the best part of today reading this thread!

Love it :)

My boyfriends friend is really mean, especially about food.
    When they're out or anything, he's always "not hungry" and my boyfriend always gets something nice - loves his food! The friend then stares/drools while he's eating it. If he puts his knife and fork down for a sec, friend says "Oh you finished?" or "Oh are you not eating that?"

Super annoying - boyfriend is very generous and would buy his friend a burger if he was hungry!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Cringer

I spent the best part of today reading this thread!

Time well spent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭blueirishangel

Cringer wrote: »
    Time well spent.

It certainly was :)

I hate stingy people and am paranoid that people would think I'm mean!

I was reading carefully to make sure none applied to me - and they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

my ex boyfriend was notoriously stingy hated putting is hand in his pocket for anything. He **** himself one time on holiday and brought the trousers and boxers home for his ma to wash:eek: He used to travel from navan to Dublin a lot on the bus and would rip his ticket where the date was and then put sellotape over it and say his little brother ripped it....he got caught doin that eventually tho :D it used to piss me off so much I mean he had money just hated spending it

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

ziggy23 wrote: »
    my ex boyfriend was notoriously stingy hated putting is hand in his pocket for anything. He **** himself one time on holiday and brought the trousers and boxers home for his ma to wash:eek: He used to travel from navan to Dublin a lot on the bus and would rip his ticket where the date was and then put sellotape over it and say his little brother ripped it....he got caught doin that eventually tho :D it used to piss me off so much I mean he had money just hated spending it
    I used to do that with bus tickets, say i was going to dundalk from Galway, id get a one way ticket to Gort and tear it up on the bus and then pretend to sleep the rest of the journey never got caught except one time the bus inspector came on and i had the ticket all ripped up but had it figured out so i had galway and dundalk piced together because i used to keep the old tickets from the one way from dundalk to drogeda when i was going to Galway, got away with it:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement