Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Which is why in Tesco they charge per tub and not by weight.
    So teh only person that loses out is the idiot that fills the tub too much and spills it all over their bags :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ruthy1234

:rolleyes: Flaming amateur, what you do is get some stuff weigh it and put on the sticker then go back and put more stuff in and go back and weigh it again but take the new price sticker and put it into your pocket, they price people doing this into the salad bar price anyway so really you are not doing anything wrong.

Genius!!!!!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Four-Percent

:rolleyes: Flaming amateur, what you do is get some stuff weigh it and put on the sticker then go back and put more stuff in and go back and weigh it again but take the new price sticker and put it into your pocket, they price people doing this into the salad bar price anyway so really you are not doing anything wrong.

Jesus you really are a miser aren't ya ;) nice tip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Ive been doing it for years. Heres another tip, when you go to the Butchers and want to order something, lets say steak, you dont say can i have a sirloin steak, what you do is, ask can you have 5 Eur worth of sirloin steak and have the Fiver in your hand as if to say thats all the money you have, it will usually come to 5.50-7 euro and they will give it to you for the fiver, they might cut off a bit but they wont keep cutting until they reach the 5 Eur mark, the same goes for anything they weigh for you in the butchers. For example i ordered 5 Eur worth of stew lamb last week and it came to 6.80 then he took a bit out and it came to 5.90 so i got it for the 5 Eur.

I have tons of more tips if anybody is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Kazbah

I worked in a shop and people used to come up with bunches of bananas and a sticker for £0.50. Err yeah right mate. So I'd say I think we might have a problem with our scales.

I know a girl who lived with a fellow who took the taps off the bath so she wouldn't be using the immersion cos it was more expensive than the electric shower.

I lived with a fellow who wanted to pay less ESb because he didn't shower or wash clothes as often as us and never used the dryer. Dirty fecker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Quazzie wrote: »
    What kind stu8ngey fúcker hosts a BBQ and then asks people to bring the ingredients and make their own burgers?
    Its not unreasonable for people to bring stuff to a party.
    Its, eh, theft?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I love it when this thread reappears :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

im not scabby but in superquinn when weighting the fruit or veg i do like put 2 things in the bad,weight it then put a few more stuff in it then tie the bag:pnot scabby just smart;).....why not rob them since they rob us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

I always just wait for my change out of habit, I wouldn't even think about how much it was. I don't think I'd be considered "tight" by the cashier because of that :confused:

But at the same time, if my petrol comes to €20.01, I automatically hand over the cent (if I have it in my wallet), or if I haven't a cent then the lowest coin/note I have on me. To be fair, they generally don't bother taking it if I don't happen to have the cent or whatever amount exactly, but I'd never presume that I'm not expected to pay it.

yep i do wait for my change outa habit even if i dont want the small bit of money but half the time if its 10c or less i just say keep the change,feel stupid and scabby when for some reason i wait for my change:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

You miserable fecker!! :D

But its exactly what i do too...its too easy and even though the container ways a load, the check out people don't give a crap so it works all the time! :)

Being on the dole, makes you be more like that guy you never thought you'd become!

• Advertisement

Stevecw wrote: »
    You miserable fecker!! :D

But its exactly what i do too...its too easy and even though the container ways a load, the check out people don't give a crap so it works all the time! :)

Being on the dole, makes you be more like that guy you never thought you'd become!

I tell ya i can save the average person aound a 1/4 off there shopping bill by simple little tricks, and none of it involves stealing. My butcher tip above is a case in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I tell ya i can save the average person aound a 1/4 off there shopping bill by simple little tricks, and none of it involves stealing. My butcher tip above is a case in point.

You should have a sticky thread in Bargain Alerts. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My old man keeps on buying Lidl branded tea, couldn't get more stingier than that. :mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

marko91 wrote: »
    yep i do wait for my change outa habit even if i dont want the small bit of money but half the time if its 10c or less i just say keep the change,feel stupid and scabby when for some reason i wait for my change:o

Thats why we have poor box's. 'Put it in the box thanks' and walk out. Dont pretend they are not theyre! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I have a friend who spends a fortune on designer clothes, make-up and getting the hair done. However when it comes to nights out the girl is very stingy.
    She will only get 20euro out of the machine at a time. We will do rounds and when it's you buying she will go for an expensive drink. If you're lucky to get a round off her will match her drink to whatever you're drinking, 2vodkas one coke etc. Sometimes doesn't get you back at all. If she meets a guy at the bar although in a relationship will accept a drink off him on the pretence that she's keen and then runs off.
    Going into the club will say she needs to get to atm although she knows it's now out of cash(small town) or else there's none in the area . You pay for her in and she will say "i'll get you back tomorrow". Tomorrow never comes..
    End of the night will have no money for taxi either or "i'll pay when i get home".
    She never every buys toilet paper and used to use ours or else buy her own and keep it in her room!! Drives me insane. I have started reminding her to pay back the next day but it causes me such embarassment having to ask!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

say it a slagging way its much better!:)... yo dickhead you owe me 50 from last night, ya scabby bitch. Go the drink link before we go out next time yea? grrrrrrrrreat.

Fizman wrote: »
    You should have a sticky thread in Bargain Alerts. :pac:
    Oh ok sounds good, do you want to sponsor me for a sticky on Bargain Alerts?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

My boss won't call me, just leaves a missed call and expects me to call back.
    Thing is, we're in India - calls cost 1rupee a minute, that's 1/67th of a Euro, about 1.5 cent.
    And she's talking about going travelling for the rest of the year so money isn't an issue in general.
    I like this thread!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

My boss won't call me, just leaves a missed call and expects me to call back.
    Thing is, we're in India - calls cost 1rupee a minute, that's 1/67th of a Euro, about 1.5 cent.
    And she's talking about going travelling for the rest of the year so money isn't an issue in general.
    I like this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

lads im loving this thread

but the worst which really fvucking piss's me off to the limit is fvcking oul ones.

once my stomach was rumbling cos i hadn't eating since last night before i went to bed when i was small, the next day at about 6 ish my ma and me were in some **** hole of a pub in town and i wanted something to eat (dinner) but insted she gets me this poxy cheap **** of lemonade and says "drink that you'll be fine" FFS IM FVCKING HUNGRY THE FVCK !!! as soon as my dad heard about it he snapped and said WTF are you doing buying him lemonade for !!! YOU SHOULD HAVE GOT HIM WATER INSTED ! (he was only joking. lol) but he did actually give out to my ma for that and he went and made me a huge dinner :)

another great one is she WILL ALWAYS look on the ground for money as she's walkin alone for every last cent... and i do mean every last cent and if i dont pick up any money of the ground and she see's it she'll go on and say "ah why didnt you pick it up???" and i'd be like wtf its only 1c like !!!

if she ever eats out like in a burger king or something she would get chips as ya do but out of pure stinginess she would complain that their cold (even though there are 3 others eating the same thing) and still eat about half of them and go back up and complain so she could get more for free !!!!!

she has a car and if anybody asked her to drop them to the shop are anything like that (only 2 mins away drive... not even 1 kilometer !!!) she would ask for fecking petrol money EVEN IF SHE WAS GOING THERE BY HERSELF ANYWAY !!!

driving back from my sisters house in Dunboyne to clondalkin ... she knew exactly where to go.. went past blanch roundabout and i told her specifically to go right around the roundabout onto the M50 but out of pure stinginess she goes on straight into fvcking town just so she dosent have to pay €2 for the toll bridge and ended up being an extra 40min drive rather than the regular 10 min drive if i was with anybody else. !!!!

she never buys bags from shops and when she forgets to bring a bag to shopping she'll carrying everything by hand and even get a shop worker to help her !!!

any time walking down the street while looking for money she will pick up all smoke cartons to see if there any smokes left in them so she could sell them to somebody !!!

in a cafe or mc donalds or what ever she will TAKE LOADS of salts packs and tissues to take home and i mean LOADS !!! if in restaurant with friends or what ever ... the salt shakers and forks, knifes EVERYTHING bar the plates on the table and the table itself would be gone... very little cleaning for the staff !!!

any presents or anything for Christmas or whatever are always cheap little pieces of **** that are cheap and will never use.

ALWAYS refuses to get a taxi cos they charge you before you get in !
    ALWAYS buys bus tickets from the shop and uses them about 500 times a week to save money !!!

will buy rounds but will always make sure that everybody else buys one too weather they like it or not !!!

rather than buying 3 currys she will buy one large one and split it between 3 people.... and will split an ice cream cone too !!! and under no surcimstances is anything ever delivered !!!

always shops in penny's or Dunness cos their the cheapest !!!

NEVER goes on holidays !!! (too expensive)

if something is broken she will insist that it is fine just so it wont have to be fixed.

she has a tv thats about 20 years old and broken but she can still see it and hear it !!! but it has a video player in it and wont work and one of the speakers is broke on the side of it... the color is messed up and the screen size is about 10 inches !!!

everything is always plugged out ... even the fridge and so on unless theres something important in it thats needs to be cold.

same clothes for the last 20 years !!!!!

food shopping for a month is always under €20

the heating never goes on unless your wearing all your jumpers and coats and are still cold and thy heating will only go on for 5 mins !!!

and will go into any shop and try to bargine them down with everything she is buying.

she is always curios if you take any money out of your pocket and says is that for me , or mr money over here, how much you got and i wish i had your money...even to a 5 year old child and thats low !!!

and heres a great one.... her phone is a nokia 3210 !!! it nearly works !!!

she has loads of money !!! FFS

glad i dont live with her. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭White_Feather

robbie_998 wrote: »

but the worst which really fvucking piss's me off to the limit is fvcking oul ones.

once my stomach was rumbling cos i hadn't eating since last night before i went to bed when i was small, the next day at about 6 ish my ma and me were in some **** hole of a pub in town and i wanted something to eat (dinner) but insted she gets me this poxy cheap **** of lemonade and says "drink that you'll be fine" FFS IM FVCKING HUNGRY THE FVCK !!! as soon as my dad heard about it he snapped and said WTF are you doing buying him lemonade for !!! YOU SHOULD HAVE GOT HIM WATER INSTED ! (he was only joking. lol) but he did actually give out to my ma for that and he went and made me a huge dinner :)

another great one is she WILL ALWAYS look on the ground for money as she's walkin alone for every last cent... and i do mean every last cent and if i dont pick up any money of the ground and she see's it she'll go on and say "ah why didnt you pick it up???" and i'd be like wtf its only 1c like !!!

if she ever eats out like in a burger king or something she would get chips as ya do but out of pure stinginess she would complain that their cold (even though there are 3 others eating the same thing) and still eat about half of them and go back up and complain so she could get more for free !!!!!

she has a car and if anybody asked her to drop them to the shop are anything like that (only 2 mins away drive... not even 1 kilometer !!!) she would ask for fecking petrol money EVEN IF SHE WAS GOING THERE BY HERSELF ANYWAY !!!

driving back from my sisters house in Dunboyne to clondalkin ... she knew exactly where to go.. went past blanch roundabout and i told her specifically to go right around the roundabout onto the M50 but out of pure stinginess she goes on straight into fvcking town just so she dosent have to pay €2 for the toll bridge and ended up being an extra 40min drive rather than the regular 10 min drive if i was with anybody else. !!!!

she never buys bags from shops and when she forgets to bring a bag to shopping she'll carrying everything by hand and even get a shop worker to help her !!!

any time walking down the street while looking for money she will pick up all smoke cartons to see if there any smokes left in them so she could sell them to somebody !!!

in a cafe or mc donalds or what ever she will TAKE LOADS of salts packs and tissues to take home and i mean LOADS !!! if in restaurant with friends or what ever ... the salt shakers and forks, knifes EVERYTHING bar the plates on the table and the table itself would be gone... very little cleaning for the staff !!!

any presents or anything for Christmas or whatever are always cheap little pieces of **** that are cheap and will never use.

ALWAYS buys bus tickets from the shop and uses them about 500 times a week to save money !!!

will buy rounds but will always make sure that everybody else buys one too weather they like it or not !!!

rather than buying 3 currys she will buy one large one and split it between 3 people.... and will split an ice cream cone too !!! and under no surcimstances is anything ever delivered !!!

if something is broken she will insist that it is fine just so it wont have to be fixed.

she has a tv thats about 20 years old and broken but she can still see it and hear it !!! but it has a video player in it and wont work and one of the speakers is broke on the side of it... the color is messed up and the screen size is about 10 inches !!!

everything is always plugged out ... even the fridge and so on unless theres something important in it thats needs to be cold.

and will go into any shop and try to bargine them down with everything she is buying.

OH.MY.GOD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭A_SN

the heating never goes on unless your wearing all your jumpers and coats and are still cold and thy heating will only go on for 5 mins !!!

she is always curios if you take any money out of your pocket and says is that for me , or mr money over here, how much you got and i wish i had your money...even to a 5 year old child and thats low !!!

Cool tips! At least what she does is efficient, I mean, she's actually saving money, even if that's a bit mad. Just one thing though, how do you split an ice cream cone? Cut it in the middle and eat it with a fork? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Ruthy1234

"another great one is she WILL ALWAYS look on the ground for money as she's walkin alone for every last cent... and i do mean every last cent and if i dont pick up any money of the ground and she see's it she'll go on and say "ah why didnt you pick it up???" and i'd be like wtf its only 1c like !!!"

I wouldn't mind that one too much you know the old saying "find a penny pick it up all day long you'll have good luck"... I'd always pick up 1c just for the luck!!!

Years ago I lived with this scabby ass in college. Like all those other posts he never bought toilet paper, shampoo, toothpaste anything and used everyone elses but the best one was when myself and my friend used to catch him coming down the stairs with two/three slices of bread on a plate. After a few times seeing this we were like...where is he getting the bread from!!!! So one day when he was out we crept into his room and saw a slicepan and other goodies hidden under his bed!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Like, I can like, totally like see where you are like coming from. Like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

You're ma sounds like a mental case but

these seem fair enough. Current Nokia phones are total rubbish. The battery lasts around 2 days. I seem to remember not having to charge the 3210 from one end of the week to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

I know a 'hyper-miler'. These are people who modify and driver their cars in such a way to get very high milage. Apparently this can give him as much as an extra 10mpg, but it's such a pain I wonder why he even bothers.

He checks the tyres are over inflated every journey, follows a special speed curve and rarely, if ever, exceeds 50kph. He loads the car in a special way so that is spread between front and back.

It just seems like so much hassle for a few extra MPG.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Fiend-Foe

I used to know a guy years ago who had a little book and would write every little thing in it. Really mundane stuff.

Tues 54/33/97

Bus £1.05
    Mars bar 60p

Total £1.65

Get a life

• Registered Users Posts: 21,244 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

grundie wrote: »
    I know a 'hyper-miler'. These are people who modify and driver their cars in such a way to get very high milage. Apparently this can give him as much as an extra 10mpg, but it's such a pain I wonder why he even bothers.

He checks the tyres are over inflated every journey, follows a special speed curve and rarely, if ever, exceeds 50kph. He loads the car in a special way so that is spread between front and back.

It just seems like so much hassle for a few extra MPG.

Maybe they're tree huggers as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

Years ago, in the late seventies, my Mam used to work as a chambermaid in a posh London hotel, and there would often be famous people staying there.
    Anyway, Phill Lynott (from Thin Lizzy) had been staying in a suite at the hotel for a few days. This was at the height of his fame.
    As he was leaving, her boss sent her up to clean the room. My Mam was thinking to herself "Great, Phil Lynott is loaded, he's bound to have left a big tip".
    So, she gets up to the room and NO TIP!! Not under the pillow, or the bedside locker, or anywhere. She thinks to herself "Tight B*****d", and gets on with her cleaning.
    A few minutes later, a knock comes to the door.... and its Phil Lynott standing there..... He's come back FOR HIS HALF-TUBE OF TOOTHPASTE, that he left in the bathroom.
    My Mam was astounded, he was top of the charts at the time, yet wouldn't splash out on new toothpaste.
    Tight a*** mofo!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Years ago, in the late seventies, my Mam used to work as a chambermaid in a posh London hotel, and there would often be famous people staying there.
    Anyway, Phill Lynott (from Thin Lizzy) had been staying in a suite at the hotel for a few days. This was at the height of his fame.
    As he was leaving, her boss sent her up to clean the room. My Mam was thinking to herself "Great, Phil Lynott is loaded, he's bound to have left a big tip".
    So, she gets up to the room and NO TIP!! Not under the pillow, or the bedside locker, or anywhere. She thinks to herself "Tight B*****d", and gets on with her cleaning.
    A few minutes later, a knock comes to the door.... and its Phil Lynott standing there..... He's come back FOR HIS HALF-TUBE OF TOOTHPASTE, that he left in the bathroom.
    My Mam was astounded, he was top of the charts at the time, yet wouldn't splash out on new toothpaste.
    Tight a*** mofo!!

Don't ever speak in that tone about Philo!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement