Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

can't understand people who don't pay their parents something to live with them. I moved back home to help look after my mam because she's disabled, but I wouldn't be happy to live there for free, so I give them a quarter of whatever I earn each week. Some weeks it's fifty euro, some weeks it's a hundred and fifty, and I buy my own food too.

Pure stingy to not even contribute to bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Me too.

I lived in the US for nearly 20 years and I never heard of a stag and doe party, or anything like that sort of carry on. Not once. Maybe it's just a Canadian thing, or it's a custom in whatever the ethnic background of the bridal party is? I'd be shocked if something that crass was a nationwide tradition in such a nice country as Canada. It certainly isn't in the US. Not in the parts of it that I lived anyway.

Here's a wiki article on it

It goes under a few different names, but has a US section. Not limited to ethnicity either....people ive heard have them have been second generation irish, viet, portuguese and plain old canadian

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

When we moved into the family home in 1988, the previous owner had brought all the curtains and lightbulbs.
    Also each room had furniture-shaped holes in the carpet. So if there'd been a wardrobe the rectangle was missing from the carpet and the bare boards were below, he'd done it to save on carpeting.

What did he think we'd do, buy furniture that fitted these spaces exactly??
    Of course we had to pull up all the carpets and replace them completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭bren2001

spacetweek wrote: »
    When we moved into the family home in 1988, the previous owner had brought all the curtains and lightbulbs.
    Also each room had furniture-shaped holes in the carpet. So if there'd been a wardrobe the rectangle was missing from the carpet and the bare boards were below, he'd done it to save on carpeting.

What did he think we'd do, buy furniture that fitted these spaces exactly??
    Of course we had to pull up all the carpets and replace them completely.

When my parents moved into our house when we were younger the previous owners took the batteries from the fire alarm. They didn't even leave them open, they were shut. Worse part of the story, the previous owner was a fireman himself.

They also left all their stuff in our attic, my parents didn't mind as it was close to Christmas and agreed they could move it in January until, the father popped over to collect the Christmas tree. We took all of their stuff out and left it on their lawn 2 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

bren2001 wrote: »
    They also left all their stuff in our attic, my parents didn't mind as it was close to Christmas and agreed they could move it in January until, the father popped over to collect the Christmas tree. We took all of their stuff out and left it on their lawn 2 days later.

I don't get this part. So your parents didn't mind them leaving their stuff til January, but because they wanted to take the xmas tree early (as it was xmas) you took all of their stuff and left it on their lawn? Why was it suddenly not ok for them to leave their stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Me too.

I lived in the US for nearly 20 years and I never heard of a stag and doe party, or anything like that sort of carry on. Not once. Maybe it's just a Canadian thing, or it's a custom in whatever the ethnic background of the bridal party is? I'd be shocked if something that crass was a nationwide tradition in such a nice country as Canada. It certainly isn't in the US. Not in the parts of it that I lived anyway.

I've seen it a good bit in the US, although they were called a jack and Jill party. And don't forget you still would have to buy a present for the wedding shower, go on the bachelorette party, and buy a wedding present! As well as pay for all of your own bits and pieces if you're in the bridal party.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yesterday in Leeds airport, guy goes to the bar and asked for the price of a fanta. Barmaid told him the price and he walks off. Reappears 5 mins later with a bottle of fanta in his pocket and asks at the bar for a glass of ice.

I'm a little impressed at that level of stinge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭bren2001

NothingMan wrote: »
    I don't get this part. So your parents didn't mind them leaving their stuff til January, but because they wanted to take the xmas tree early (as it was xmas) you took all of their stuff and left it on their lawn? Why was it suddenly not ok for them to leave their stuff?

Sorry, he came with the ladder and when the door opened brushed by my Mam and was in the attic. He didn't actually ask. There was a couple of other things that they did before that e.g. we found him in our back garden one day taking some of his plants that he left. It was more "the last straw" incident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

was in tesco the other day, waiting to use the self serve machines, there was a guy in front of me who was buying a small bottle of water, he was waiting for his change and started getting very angry, talking to the machine, saying fcuk's sake etc because it wasn't giving him his change, eventually after a few mins, his change came out, 1 cent lol. he was delighted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

was in tesco the other day, waiting to use the self serve machines, there was a guy in front of me who was buying a small bottle of water, he was waiting for his change and started getting very angry, talking to the machine, saying fcuk's sake etc because it wasn't giving him his change, eventually after a few mins, his change came out, 1 cent lol. he was delighted.

If you're a student like your name suggests, 1 cent can make a difference. It could be the difference in being able to buy that can of beans or not. I remember when I was in college and I found a euro, it felt like winning the f*cking lotto. Ah yeah, those were the days. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Interesting twist . Is that true?
    This is what I told to give to the sister organising it.
    Suffice to say I didn't go so didn't get to read the menu-card.
    : o

That makes it even worse : (

Count your lucky stars so that you didn't go, you dodged a bullet there .... Total scumbag behaviour of your "friend" by the way. In fact, next time you're talking to her, I'd ask her how she thought she could get away with attempting to steal €70 from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Lucena wrote: »
    Baby showers? When the fuuck did people start having baby showers? Do we honestly have to copy everything the Americans do? What’s next, cheerleaders at GAA matches?

FFS

I'm pretty sure that if the GAA decided to have cheerleaders and a bunch of girls similar to the Miami Dolphin Cheerleaders showed up to shake their pompoms, there'd be no complaining from the general male population :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    They're chronically broke due to poor management. I couldn't give a fiddlers about the money- I was fully prepared to fund their whole meal, I just thought they'd be embarrassed to show up empty handed so when they asked what to bring I thought, anyone can afford a bag of spuds. What hacked me off was that while I spent Christmas Eve busting my (metaphorical) balls cooking and decorating and trying to make things nice, they spent it getting wasted safe in the knowledge that someone else would provide Christmas for their family.

Poor management and staying up all night doing Acid...I'm seeing a connection here! , then using you as a supply of food and drink for the day. Awful stuff...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

maguic24 wrote: »
    Like any female, I'm a massive goo horder

Ahem... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Can I move into your house? My parents charge €100 a week.

Mine used to and it wasnt a problem but unfortunately things changed. Sat them down to show that 100 was no longer possible it literally wasnt even there. So a new deal was struck :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

tinkerbell wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that if the GAA decided to have cheerleaders and a bunch of girls similar to the Miami Dolphin Cheerleaders showed up to shake their pompoms, there'd be no complaining from the general male population :pac:

Actually I think most males would find it cringe-worthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

retalivity wrote: »
    Talking about Baby showers & US/North american customs, anyone in Canada or the US may have heard of this. Not so much stinge, rather it's money-grabbing but I was shocked when i witnessed it.

Where I'm living now (and I think this is prevelant throughout Canada & the US) engaged couples have a stag & doe party a few months before the wedding, which is like a fundraiser for both the wedding & the honeymoon. I was at one for a friend a few months ago. It is also a shakedown of their nearest and dearest, as well as "allowing people who are not invited to the wedding to share & contribute to our happiness" (This is an actual quote from the groom).

Anyway, a hall is rented and tickets sold ($10 each). The bride, groom, best men, bridesmaids & close family work the event, where they buy in their own beer and sell it, have raffles for prizes (all donated by friends and family), have a dj and spot games and prizes - things like foosball, air hockey, keepy-ups, hitting nails into wood etc - all to raise money for the wedding party. The best was when you entered the front door, you were automatically entered into a raffle later that evening, the 'winner' of which would have to drink a pint of water with a goldfish in it. However if you bought a paper fish necklace (on sale for $3), this bought you immunity from having to eat the fish. At the end, they didnt even have the bloody raffle but still made $500-600 selling paper necklaces.

I was gobsmacked at the pure cheek of it...friends out trying to wring every last penny from each other and strangers, all to pay for their honeymoon. And the next day, I heard that the bride and groom gave out sh1te to the wedding party that they didn't work hard enough & "only" made $7000. I spoke to them after about it, as well as some other people who were there and they could see nothing wrong with it. Imagine trying to pull something similar in ireland!

Poor fish :(

I hope they are miserable together...tight, mindless bástards :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Poor fish

no-one actually ate the fish...it was all a ploy to make more money.
    "Give me money to ensure that you cannot be punished 'winning' a draw that you never asked to be entered into" And then never have the draw anyway.

It's awful (but genius) when you think about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

"Give me money to ensure that you cannot be punished 'winning' a draw that you never asked to be entered into"

Theirs a few Nigerian princes out there that could learn a lesson or 2 from them people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

"Give me money to ensure that you cannot be punished 'winning' a draw that you never asked to be entered into"

he said you could buy paper fish that granted you immunity from having to eat the fish :(

edit: wait that was you! Sorry! Glad the fish survived! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

"Give me money to ensure that you cannot be punished 'winning' a draw that you never asked to be entered into" And then never have the draw anyway.

Sounds like the Hunger Games!!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭BetterThanThou

Another stingy child story, my brother who's in his early 20s refused to hand up any rent, very rarely put any money towards the food, and if he bought something he'd raise hell if someone else touched it, acts as if it's his house and he's only letting the rest of the family live in it, all while not once putting any effort into finding a job or improving his education and spending his dole on Calvin Klein and Hugo Boss clothes and €60 bottles of aftershave and refusing to use anything cheap no matter what it is, wouldn't even wear a cheap pair of boxers or a cheap t-shirt under a hoodie. And if one of my parents ever offered to buy me something(I'm 16), he'd throw a tantrum expecting the same. So eventually he gets thrown out, moves in with an aunt, who I don't believe he pays any rent to, and has a corridor in her house clogged up with a clothes horse because he refuses to dry any of his clothes on a washing line, and I doubt pays for any food there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Another stingy child story, my brother who's in his early 20s refused to hand up any rent, very rarely put any money towards the food, and if he bought something he'd raise hell if someone else touched it, acts as if it's his house and he's only letting the rest of the family live in it, all while not once putting any effort into finding a job or improving his education and spending his dole on Calvin Klein and Hugo Boss clothes and €60 bottles of aftershave and refusing to use anything cheap no matter what it is, wouldn't even wear a cheap pair of boxers or a cheap t-shirt under a hoodie. And if one of my parents ever offered to buy me something(I'm 16), he'd throw a tantrum expecting the same. So eventually he gets thrown out, moves in with an aunt, who I don't believe he pays any rent to, and has a corridor in her house clogged up with a clothes horse because he refuses to dry any of his clothes on a washing line, and I doubt pays for any food there either.

He's not stingey he's a selfish prick.

rawn wrote: »
    Good point, lost the meaning of the thread while going on my little rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Good point, lost the meaning of the thread while going on my little rant.

Hopefully your aunt throws him out on his ungrateful rear, maybe he'll finally be forced to grow up and get a job!!

Hopefully your aunt throws him out on his ungrateful rear, maybe he'll finally be forced to grow up and get a job!!
    Hopefully, don't see it happening soon though.
    But on the topic of stinginess, I remember being in the chipper with some mates, one of them wasn't ordering anything, but complaining about being hungry, another one offers to buy him a bag of chips, which he replies something along the lines of "Yeah, ok." without even saying thanks, another mate says "Don't you have money in your pocket?" and he says "Yeah, but I'm saving that."

• Registered Users Posts: 30,367 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

When my aunt's neighbor died she went to her house and went through her stuff and kept the good stuff let it be jewellery/jewelry or the old ladies clothes she still wears the ladies slippers. The ladies family never got to sort through the stuff.
    My aunt is 65 and she was visiting her aunt in law recently who is in her late 80's. My aunt is healthy and fit but she saw her aunt's walking stick and took it off her and kept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭TheLastMohican

And a FCUKing idiot

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

maguic24 wrote: »
    If you're a student like your name suggests, 1 cent can make a difference. It could be the difference in being able to buy that can of beans or not. I remember when I was in college and I found a euro, it felt like winning the f*cking lotto. Ah yeah, those were the days. :P

If you're a student you don't buy bottled water...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,446 ✭✭✭Corvo Attano

When my aunt's neighbor died went to her house and went through her stuff and kept the good stuff let it be jewellery/jewelry or the old ladies clothes she still wears the ladies slippers. The persons family never got to sort through the stuff.
    My aunt is 65 and she was visiting her aunt in law recently who is in her late 80's. My aunt is healthy and fit but she saw that her aunt walking stick and took it off her and kept it.

This is the biggest stinge here.

Trying to save on words are we?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement