Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Red Kev wrote: »
    Invest in a shaving brush and get the shaving soap sticks. Better for your face, cheaper than cans and nothing nicer than the feeling of a soapy brush on the face in the morning. ;)

Better for the environement too than those nasty-ass cans

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Red Kev wrote: »
    Invest in a shaving brush and get the shaving soap sticks. Better for your face, cheaper than cans and nothing nicer than the feeling of a soapy brush on the face in the morning. ;)

Er... I take it you didn't read the bit about the lady products?

IIRC, those soaps still smell of some sort of manly after-shave, so not really a solution ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

lazygal wrote: »
    That's a bit stingy, thinking a fridge is worth more than a friend.

A fridge is worth more than a stingy friend :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭daddyorchips

My parents had it right - and I'll do the same hopefully:

Your first ever paycheck is yours to keep and enjoy. Every one thereafter, while you're living in the family home includes something "to be handed up" for rent, food, bill.

If you've raised the kids right, you should barely have to ask.

That's fair enough but I lived with my aunt and uncle and I gave them money everyweek but it wasn't enough I gave them 100 a week and they asked me for a twenty quid every other day and money when the esb bill was due and other bills I must have been paying there mortage at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Ok folks,

LESS SHAVING, MORE SAVING (in a mean and stingy way) :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    We live overseas and one year had no family coming over for Christmas nor were we going home so we invited another family in the same boat over for Christmas dinner. Now we knew they were broke so we said just cover the spuds and a vegetable dish.

I like to make a bit of effort for Christmas so I'd made starters, massive free range turkey and ham, all the trimmings (stuffing, gravy, homemade cranberry sauce, crispy bacon), honey carrots (even tho they were supposed to be doing veg but they're my son's favourite) sherry trifle for the adults, gingerbread house for the kids. We also provided a bottle of champagne, numerous bottles of nice sparkling wine, and cracked into a case of wine we had got as a wedding present, had single malt whiskey and baileys for after.

I invited them for 12 to eat at 1. They arrived at 2pm when the food was going cold and I had had to put the baby to bed after feeding him from pickings, with about ten uncooked new potatoes (for 8 people) a bag of salad, a bottle of the cheapest wine and a (small) packet of pretzels. Further delay while the potatoes were cooked. Turns out they had been up half the night doing acid and were barely able to string a sentence together. They got stuck into our booze while I fetched and carried. In fairness they did the washing up (most of which I'd done while waiting for them to arrive) but then parked their arses and got stocious while their kids were entertained. My OH was raging- he loves his spuds- I went without to give him my share. Then when they were going we hadn't opened the bottle they brought so they asked if they could take it back!! Tbh I didn't want it since we were coming down with nice booze but it was the principal!! Could not believe the cheek. The funny thing is that they do this to a different family every year so they never have to make the effort themselves. They will not be invited again.

You should have made them some extra strong nutmeg sauce. That would have sorted them out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,185 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Lucena wrote: »
    Where did you find that idea?

I read somewhere that it's important to dry the blades straight after use to avoid them rusting and blunting the edge.

I bought a razorpit. I think it was on this site I heard about it. I shave my entire head so I'll get less than a week out of a blade usually. It lasts about a month now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

my father is notorious. Yesterday my hubby was going to get food for dinner and my dad went along with him. the food bill came to over €30 and my dad gave 50c towards the bill. he eats everything we cook but this was actually the first time he offered anything towards the bill
    sometimes he hovers around the self scan section in tesco looking for 1c and 2c coins people may have dropped. im sure my hubby wrote about him here before he closed his account.
    he watches tables people have left in mc donalds to get the stickers off their cups for a free latte and if he is forced into buying something to help out he will always answer with "you can get me a coffee to make up for it" yet he never gets us back when we buy him stuff.
    he goes hill walking every week with a group but wont have dinner with them afterwards because 'there is dinner at home'. even though me and my hubby have paid for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    Is she just a stingy flatmate who you never see eat who annoyingly takes your food or is she a binge eater who is will feed her addictxion on stale food? Why on earth would anyone eat stale doughnuts? They are fcuking gross!

She's a bit of both. She said she would get me more when I asked if she saw my doughnuts but she hasnt left the house since. Girlfriend claims she saw her working her way through a jar of mayonnaise so that could be why I never see her eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Baby showers? When the fuuck did people start having baby showers? Do we honestly have to copy everything the Americans do? What’s next, cheerleaders at GAA matches?

Gimme an L. “L”

Gimme an E. “E“

Gimme an I. “I“

Gimme an T. “T“

Gimme an R. “R“

Gimme an I. “I“

Gimme an M. “M“

Gooooooooooooooooooooooooo Leeeitriiiiiiiiim!!!!!

FFS

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

xXxkorixXx wrote: »
    my father is notorious. Yesterday my hubby was going to get food for dinner and my dad went along with him. the food bill came to over €30 and my dad gave 50c towards the bill. he eats everything we cook but this was actually the first time he offered anything towards the bill
    sometimes he hovers around the self scan section in tesco looking for 1c and 2c coins people may have dropped. im sure my hubby wrote about him here before he closed his account.
    he watches tables people have left in mc donalds to get the stickers off their cups for a free latte and if he is forced into buying something to help out he will always answer with "you can get me a coffee to make up for it" yet he never gets us back when we buy him stuff.
    he goes hill walking every week with a group but wont have dinner with them afterwards because 'there is dinner at home'. even though me and my hubby have paid for it

:eek: :eek: :eek:

That's one tight tight bastard! I wouldn't hold out much hope on the will so :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

bluewolf wrote: »
    Just use shampoo or shower gel...

That's what I do.

I shave my head and Shaving Foam tends to block up the razor whereas Shower Gel doesn't.

Fierce handy !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I just stopped shaving all together. Mega-stinge!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

****ing hell, shaving foam costs like a pound and lasts for ages you tight bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Ficheall

She's a bit of both. She said she would get me more when I asked if she saw my doughnuts but she hasnt left the house since. Girlfriend claims she saw her working her way through a jar of mayonnaise so that could be why I never see her eat.
    But you were throwing them out, right? Are you sure you're not a bit of a "stinge" yourself?

Loughc wrote: »
    :eek: :eek: :eek:

That's one tight tight bastard! I wouldn't hold out much hope on the will so :P

Thing is though - he's probably the kinda guy who leaves €2.4 million in a will having led a life of tightness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

My half-uncle is incredibly stingy.

He often "forgets" his wallet on a night out. Once his wife even instructed him to get his wallet right before leaving the house and he still managed for get it.

My Dad was out with him a few weeks ago and they were parking somewhere which cost 50c an hour, my uncle started asking people for the 50c for parking. And only dipped into his pocket when no one else would pony up.

Another night he was asking my Dad if he intended to go to a showband in town when my Dad said no my uncle decided to go it alone, however it ended up he sat outside the event all night an listened to the show for free, he only wanted my Dad to go to buy him a ticket.

He's always the last to buy a round and when he does he won't get himself a drink to cut down the cost, yet orders double brandies when someone else is paying.

I could go on with stories like this.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭xXxkorixXx

Thing is though - he's probably the kinda guy who leaves €2.4 million in a will having led a life of tightness.

he is very very comfortable.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Screw that bring the money with you and buy one of those sweet sweet heaven hotels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Ficheall wrote: »
    But you were throwing them out, right? Are you sure you're not a bit of a "stinge" yourself?

She didn't know that I was. It's more to show her she can't just eat any food in the house she feels like and I'll just let her away with it. She owes me for half a cheesecake anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

gallag wrote: »
    ****ing hell, shaving foam costs like a pound and lasts for ages you tight bastards.

Get over yourself! If you can save money, don't be stupid. I don't think it's being tight, I think it's being smart. The money is better in my pocket than in theirs and that's the way I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,160 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Talking about Baby showers & US/North american customs, anyone in Canada or the US may have heard of this. Not so much stinge, rather it's money-grabbing but I was shocked when i witnessed it.

Where I'm living now (and I think this is prevelant throughout Canada & the US) engaged couples have a stag & doe party a few months before the wedding, which is like a fundraiser for both the wedding & the honeymoon. I was at one for a friend a few months ago. It is also a shakedown of their nearest and dearest, as well as "allowing people who are not invited to the wedding to share & contribute to our happiness" (This is an actual quote from the groom).

Anyway, a hall is rented and tickets sold ($10 each). The bride, groom, best men, bridesmaids & close family work the event, where they buy in their own beer and sell it, have raffles for prizes (all donated by friends and family), have a dj and spot games and prizes - things like foosball, air hockey, keepy-ups, hitting nails into wood etc - all to raise money for the wedding party. The best was when you entered the front door, you were automatically entered into a raffle later that evening, the 'winner' of which would have to drink a pint of water with a goldfish in it. However if you bought a paper fish necklace (on sale for $3), this bought you immunity from having to eat the fish. At the end, they didnt even have the bloody raffle but still made $500-600 selling paper necklaces.

I was gobsmacked at the pure cheek of it...friends out trying to wring every last penny from each other and strangers, all to pay for their honeymoon. And the next day, I heard that the bride and groom gave out sh1te to the wedding party that they didn't work hard enough & "only" made $7000. I spoke to them after about it, as well as some other people who were there and they could see nothing wrong with it. Imagine trying to pull something similar in ireland!

retalivity wrote: »
    Talking about Baby showers & US/North american customs, anyone in Canada or the US may have heard of this. Not so much stinge, rather it's money-grabbing but I was shocked when i witnessed it.

Where I'm living now (and I think this is prevelant throughout Canada & the US) engaged couples have a stag & doe party a few months before the wedding, which is like a fundraiser for both the wedding & the honeymoon. I was at one for a friend a few months ago. It is also a shakedown of their nearest and dearest, as well as "allowing people who are not invited to the wedding to share & contribute to our happiness" (This is an actual quote from the groom).

Anyway, a hall is rented and tickets sold ($10 each). The bride, groom, best men, bridesmaids & close family work the event, where they buy in their own beer and sell it, have raffles for prizes (all donated by friends and family), have a dj and spot games and prizes - things like foosball, air hockey, keepy-ups, hitting nails into wood etc - all to raise money for the wedding party. The best was when you entered the front door, you were automatically entered into a raffle later that evening, the 'winner' of which would have to drink a pint of water with a goldfish in it. However if you bought a paper fish necklace (on sale for $3), this bought you immunity from having to eat the fish. At the end, they didnt even have the bloody raffle but still made $500-600 selling paper necklaces.

I was gobsmacked at the pure cheek of it...friends out trying to wring every last penny from each other and strangers, all to pay for their honeymoon. And the next day, I heard that the bride and groom gave out sh1te to the wedding party that they didn't work hard enough & "only" made $7000. I spoke to them after about it, as well as some other people who were there and they could see nothing wrong with it. Imagine trying to pull something similar in ireland!

I'd prefer to lick my own arse then have to attend (or worse still organise) something like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

maguic24 wrote: »
    Get over yourself! If you can save money, don't be stupid. I don't think it's being tight, I think it's being smart. The money is better in my pocket than in theirs and that's the way I see it.

Hey I am all for saving money but shaving foam costs me a pound and lasts about six months, it not really throwing caution to the wind to not spend any time or effort to avoid this two quid a year outlay ya bloddy miser!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

gallag wrote: »
    Hey I am all for saving money but shaving foam costs me a pound and lasts about six months, it not really throwing caution to the wind to not spend any time or effort to avoid this two quid a year outlay ya bloddy miser!

Conditioner works just as well. Why bother buying both shaving foam and conditioner? Like any female, I'm a massive goo horder, but shaving foam doesn't quite make it into the goo press.

Also, do you shave twice a month or something? Honestly, I would go through shaving cream in a month, but then again I'm a female...And a hairy female at that. :P

I also buy mens razors because women's are **** and expensive and I don't give two f*cks if that's stingey or not, it makes more sense to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

I'd prefer to lick my own arse then have to attend (or worse still organise) something like that.

I think I'd rather lick your arse as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Me too.

I lived in the US for nearly 20 years and I never heard of a stag and doe party, or anything like that sort of carry on. Not once. Maybe it's just a Canadian thing, or it's a custom in whatever the ethnic background of the bridal party is? I'd be shocked if something that crass was a nationwide tradition in such a nice country as Canada. It certainly isn't in the US. Not in the parts of it that I lived anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

I was in a Mr Simms sweetshop yesterday and bloke in front was arguing that last week he got 3 sweets for 5c and why was he only getting 2 sweets now for the same price

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Baby-bloody-showers. Got invited to one for a girl I was in school with. Replied that I couldn't go because of work. Got a reply back with "You can send the present to x". Seriously? C'mon now. I'd bought her a present I was planning on giving her when the baby's born, but I'm almost tempted to bring it back to the shop with that carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Totally agree. Thats disgusting in this or any day and age. Im living with the folks at the moment but Id live on the street before Id let them refuse payment. 50 quid a week, good few chores and a free mechanic. Though with their current choice in cars I think Im the one getting roasted!:p

Can I move into your house? My parents charge €100 a week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement