Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

The posts above are making me cringe/ can we please have more stories of stinge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭DramaQuee

A friend got a lift with me to a barbecue. He hadn't brought anything, no wine, or a beer, nothing. I'd 2 bottles of wine in the back seat. When we arrived there was only one tiny place to park the car, so he got out before I parked so I could squeeze the car in, and leave room for the driver's door to open. As I manoevered the car in, off he went ahead I just noticed him going in the kitchen door with MY two bottles of wine to give my friend. And in I went a few minutes after, with my two arms swinging the one length.

Another time, same guy said he'd like to go into town for lunch with his sister and would I like to come. I said I think I'm off, I'll see. He said, well it's expensive to drive, I mean ONLY if you're going into town anyway, if not, I'll hitch. :D Have I mentioned this guy is...you guessed it, a wealthy farmer, who also has a business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

I would have not let that one slide, about the wine.

I would have made it a point to loudly call "I see that X has brought in my wine for me" or "X, did you bring in my wine from the car?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Is this stingy? :confused:
    So I have been looking to pick up a good but second hand 7' Pool Diner Table for ages, they are very hard to come by second hand (its like a pool table that converts to a dining table). Saw an add in local spar with a phone number of someone selling one with free delivery locally for 350 euro (sweet) Sounded to good to be true as those things cost near 1500 Plus new ! I was assuming this thing to be in bits...
    So i pop around and meet the chap really sound fella. In any event the table is practically new showroom condition and perfect and is what i was looking for. We had a quick banter at his door and I asked how come he was selling the table. As he had been telling me how much he liked pool and how cool the table was etc etc and happy memories with it. In the course of conversation it came up that his house is being reposssessed by the bank as he was having difficulties with the mortgage and he will be moving back to his family home and no room for the table there. I was like Ohh no way, Not good. Kinda put a dampner on it. In a way it puts me totally off buying it as I dont really want to gain happiness from someone elses misery, then again he is going mad to sell it and needs the cash. Am i being a stingy good for nothing if i buy this??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,871 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

ronan45 wrote: »
    So I have been looking to pick up a good but second hand 7' Pool Diner Table for ages, they are very hard to come by second hand (its like a pool table that converts to a dining table). Saw an add in local spar with a phone number of someone selling one with free delivery locally for 350 euro (sweet) Sounded to good to be true as those things cost near 1500 Plus new ! I was assuming this thing to be in bits...
    So i pop around and meet the chap really sound fella. In any event the table is practically new showroom condition and perfect and is what i was looking for. We had a quick banter at his door and I asked how come he was selling the table. As he had been telling me how much he liked pool and how cool the table was etc etc and happy memories with it. In the course of conversation it came up that his house is being reposssessed by the bank as he was having difficulties with the mortgage and he will be moving back to his family home and no room for the table there. I was like Ohh no way, Not good. Kinda put a dampner on it. In a way it puts me totally off buying it as I dont really want to gain happiness from someone elses misery, then again he is going mad to sell it and needs the cash. Am i being a stingy good for nothing if i buy this??? :confused:

AH Answer: You should've bargained him down if he was so eager to sell :D

Real Answer:If you feel bad maybe consider throwing him an extra fifty on top of what he's looking. You're still getting a good deal and he gets a bit of a bonus which I'm sure he'll appreciate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Not stingy at all, I'm sure the guy would appreciate the quick sale and getting the cash in hand.

I would have not let that one slide, about the wine.

I would have made it a point to loudly call "I see that X has brought in my wine for me" or "X, did you bring in my wine from the car?"

Oh my friend having the barbi is my best friend. She said he had let on he had brought the 2 bottles alright. I know she really likes a certain type of wine. It's an unusual brand, not really expensive, but she copped what was going on ;) and kept bringing it up, thanking him in front of me to see him cringe :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I honestly don't know any stingy people.

Confab wrote: »
    I honestly don't know any stingy people.

As long as you aren't the stingy friend ;) it sounds all good.

Maybe it's your natural selection process. You just have to shift stingy people out of your life fairly fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

its like a pool table that converts to a dining table

Practical, and fun.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Id feel a bit like that too about the situation, you could round it up to €500 maybe? this way you might gain a friend out of the deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

^ That's not stingey. That's scummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

****ing hell , that really is the lowest of the low. What a toerag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

She may be a toerag....but she'd get it..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

It's not stingy. If you don't buy it someone else will.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Criminal behaviour ≠ stinge.

I haven't anything else to contribute myself atm, but please, MORE STINGE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Criminal behaviour ≠ stinge.

I haven't anything else to contribute myself atm, but please, MORE STINGE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

My OH always buys her greeting cards in the local discount store for birthdays etc when they have the 3 for 2euro sales on.
    Last time she got all the cards that were slightly damaged and struck a deal with the manager and got 10 cards for a fiver.
    Her birthday was Sunday and to keep her happy and not to be seen to be overspending I found a " Happy Birthday Mammy" card in the cupboard which I signed for the little ones and gave to her.:)
    She was disgusted.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭double GG

My OH always buys her greeting cards in the local discount store for birthdays etc when they have the 3 for 2euro sales on.
    Last time she got all the cards that were slightly damaged and struck a deal with the manager and got 10 cards for a fiver.
    Her birthday was Sunday and to keep her happy and not to be seen to be overspending I found a " Happy Birthday Mammy" card in the cupboard which I signed for the little ones and gave to her.:)
    She was disgusted.:mad:

Well to be honest I find greeting cards a big waste of money. People spending 3 or 4 euro for a 'nice' card when nobody actually reads them unless the person who gave it to you is right in front of you or if there was a bit of money inside.

I think Mother's Day, Anniversary Cards and Happy Birthday Mother/Mammy/Wife/Girlfriend are the last bastions of non stinginess which should not be subjected to cutbacks/recycling excuses. When Mamma's happy, everyone's happy. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A hug is better than a card everytime.
    Plus it's free.
    Cue some poster about a serial hugger in their workplace refusing to shell out a few euro on greeting cards and prop up profit-driven tree-destroying corporations...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,316 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I wouldn't consider myself stingy but I really hate buying cards. To me, they're the biggest waste of money. Saying that, I always get the Mammy one because I know it's her thing.

Ha, but you can't put a hug in the press to look at in years to come. I still have very sentimental cards I treasure. I always know the ones a person has read first and chosen specially for me.

What better use is there for the tree destroying corporations' paper? Argos catalogues/Telephone Directories/EU legislation in many many languages etc etc. A nice card is at least as important as those things.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

DramaQuee wrote: »
    Ha, but you can't put a hug in the press to look at in years to come.

Arrrggghhh!!! I can't stand keeping cards. They get a few weeks and they get the bin. Give me a hug any day of the week.

cantdecide wrote: »
    Arrrggghhh!!! I can't stand keeping cards. They get a few weeks and they get the bin. Give me a hug any day of the week.

You obviously haven't had a really meaningful special card, from a special person ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

DramaQuee wrote: »
    You obviously haven't had a really meaningful special card, from a special person ;)

I have and they still get the bin

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

cantdecide wrote: »
    :) Here you go :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement